Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
wifey decided that we should all watch The Notebook together as a family.

remember: other than the dog, i'm the only male in the house. needless to say i was the only one NOT crying during the movie.

Do u have no heart bro ... LOVE THE NOTEBOOK and i ain’t ashamed to own it ... GREAT FLICK ... thumbsup

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Swish
wifey decided that we should all watch The Notebook together as a family.

remember: other than the dog, i'm the only male in the house. needless to say i was the only one NOT crying during the movie.

Do u have no heart bro ... LOVE THE NOTEBOOK and i ain’t ashamed to own it ... GREAT FLICK ... thumbsup

Having to do with the heartbreaking topic of Alzheimer's, I always preferred the 2007 movie "Away from Her" to "The Notebook". A bit more understated/subtle, but worth a watch.

Legend
Legend
Another great movie about Alzheimer's:

One of the creepiest horror movies of the last ten years. Goosebumps as I type this lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Watched "A Few Good Men" last night. 3 hours well spent ... even if it kept me up till 4am. lol

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Craig as Bond as well. And I am looking forward to the next film in the series.

Right now I am watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Netflix. Have not seen it before, and I am really liking it. Amazon has the next season of Jack Ryan available so that is next.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Can I add TV shows/TV series?

I know I'm not the only one watching "A Football Life." I had no idea it started in 2011. blush I've seen a few episodes so far and Ray Lewis is by far my fav.

Joe Namath's double episode was good.

Mean Joe Green's was just so-so.

Chad Johnson's episode was a fun watch, entertaining. What a loudmouth. Great build, you certainly can tell he still lifts weights.

-That's all that I can remember at the moment, I have a really bad memory. (Tomorrow I'll probably forget I posted this. lol)

S
Legend
Legend
S
I watched Mid90s the other night. Written and directed by Jonah Hill. Really really good movie.

There were so many parts of that movie that really hit home. It kind of has a Kids feel to it, but I actually think it's a lot better than Kids.

Legend
Legend
Given that we are all trapped in the house,I added Netflix and Amazon Prime..

Over the last couple of days, We've watched the following

Once upon a time in... Hollywood
Rocketman
Yesterday
The Irishman

Once upon a time was funny as hell.. Language is rough but I had lots of belly laughs.... Cracked me up.

Rocketman, I'm not big on Musical Movies, but this was pretty good. The kid that played Elton John was amazing. The music brought back a flood of memories...Lots of fun and scary stuff went on his life.

Yesterday: What a wierd premise. Some kinda black out caused everyone to forget the Beatles ever existed... Crazy, but funny.

The Irishman: How do you go wrong with Deniro, Pesci and Pacino all in staring roles.. Great flick. Long, but worth the watch

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
If you are a fan of the Beatles and the 60s in general check out across the universe.

I liked Rocket Man but would have preferred it not been done as much of a musical. I liked Bohemian Rhapsody a lot more due to it being more of a story than a musical.

And for those that liked the Insanity/stupidity of Tiger King, check out The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.

Also watched a pretty good documentary about a drug scandal within the analysis labs of Massachusetts called How to Fix a Drug Scandle. It really brings into question our justice system an the cover ups that occur when people on the “good guy” side are really bad.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I watched Knives Out with the wife and kid (she's almost 13). Not too bad for $6 over Amazon Prime (and it was "free" because I defer shipments for rewards).

It wasn't awesome, but a neat little whodunnit. Also Ana is pretty.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Haven't had time to watch many movies. Way behind. No recommendations.

For series, I'd recommend 'The Outsider' on HBO. I'm a Stephen King fan and it is one of the better adaptations I've seen. Ending of the book and show aren't the best, but he's gotten a lot of deserved flack for anti climatic endings.

I'm also recommending a new sci-fi series, 'Tales from the Loop', on Amazon. But also warning that it is very slow paced. It all takes place in one Ohio town but each episode is its own story with some characters overlapping them. If you are a fan of Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, and especially Ray Bradbury, I think you will like it. But prepare for some deep, often depressing stories. I compare to Ray Bradbury's work because it really focuses on the human condition more than the actual sci-fi elements.

I'm trying to find more (much needed) comedy lately. We finally finished 'Veep' on HBO, which I found so hilarious once it hit its stride.

Just finished the newest season of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and it was great as always.

Finally watching 'Parks & Rec' on Netflix. It lives up to the hype.

I want to watch 'Always Sunny in Philadelphia' (already saw half of the first season) and 'Schitt's Creek' (saw the first episode) but my wife keeps saying she wants to watch too but then picks something else. I'm annoyed and about to start without her. LOL

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

So we watched Trolls: World Tour tonight.

My wife liked the first, never watched the first until last night, and I got into the first one. I really enjoyed the theme of "you find your own happiness."

This second one revolves around what music is superior and things.

I hated where it ended up going.
Click to reveal..
At one point the main theme becomes "out differences make us. Don't make everyone the same style!" Then at the end there's a big song but it's a homogenized pop song that features small elements of the other genre.

Talk about completely missing the mark.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I’m a sucker for watching old movies that I haven’t seen in a while ... I often find myself liking them more and thinking how good they are

Last night I watched The Wizard of Oz ... what a movie. What acting ... transcendent special effects, morality, and dialogue. Just a masterpiece.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
My wife is the biggest Wizard fan. We're actually doing a huge puzzle right now lol. Saw it on the big screen again last year. Amazing movie.

Along those lines, and while the Wiz is fresh in your mind ~ Judy was amazing. More than the movie itself, Renée Zellweger stole the show, she won the Oscar for best actress last year for her performance.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I was just glad they’re still showing Ben Hur on Easter.

#GMSTRONG
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Originally Posted By: bluecollarball
I'm watching Boardwalk Empire again. I loved it the first time I watched it.

I have Netflix, thinking about trying out Hulu. As a side note to your post, I'd love to hear folks' thoughts on the various streaming services and whether or not their worth the coin. What is good to watch on them?

I want to watch Picard but I'm not sure CBS All Access being a good "investment"

I haven't watched a really good show/movie in awhile. Most of what I have seen is been kinda, "meh" so I'd love to hear what folks are watching.

Hulu is good. I have the no commercial subscription. I get many of the Network shows with it.

Amazon video is great and included with Prime. You can watch many of the HBO shows without the HBO subscription (Sopranos, Boardwalk, and the best show ever The Wire), They also have good original programming Bosch, Sneaky Pete, and Hand of God.

Good binge worthy shows on Netflix are Peaky Blinders and Ozark.

Legend
Legend
Watched Rudy with my girls last night. It holds up. Sure, it's not super accurate to the real story, but it's good stuff. I've seen it 50+ times but it was the first for my little girl. She thought it was great.

"He's so little. How is he still getting up?"

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
O
Legend
Legend
O
Amazon video is great if you have Prime and haven't taken advantage. With most services, though, the selection gets stale after a little while. I started watching The Expanse, and haven't figured out if I like it or not. When I decide, that will inform my decision to watch the season that just came out.

I like Hulu because they have an HBO add-on that, I feel, is definitely worth the money. Then, you have a bundle option with Disney+ and ESPN+, so I'm getting a fantastic deal on all 3. ESPN+ is largely useless, though.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Bill Walton reveals his favorite 35 movies of all-time -- a treat amid social-distancing and coronavirus

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2020/0...oronavirus.html
By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Bill Walton sent me his “Bill Walton Movie List” after our recent podcast interview in which we talked about how he’s staying busy during this era of social distancing and coronavirus.

His list of favorite movies is an eclectic jumble with a non-fiction bent. He likes documentaries, obviously. He likes big interviews, obviously. But there are a few surprises on his movie list, including one dramatic comedy that I haven’t seen.

Give the list a look. I found the best part to be that I hadn’t seen very many of them. I’m sorting through them myself, wondering what I might watch.

Walton loves him some Martin Scorcese films. He loves music, too. Also, Ken Burns’ documentary series work. At the very least, Walton’s movie list is an interesting look at the movies the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame player might throw on if you came to his teepee for a stretch.

Walton also gave me his top-book list. I’ll share that later in the week.

Here’s Bill Walton’s movie list:

• Inside Bill’s Brain: Decoding Bill Gates (History of the mind and life of Bill Gates)

• Clive Davis – The Soundtrack of our Lives (Music-filled journey of hit-maker’s life)

• The Irishman (Robert De Niro stars, Martin Scorcese directs.)

• 20 Feet From Stardom (Untold stories of back-up singers)

• Searching for Sugar Man (True story of 1970s iconic rock star)

• The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned from a Mystical Man (Comedic icon chases urban legends and myths)

• Quincy (Life and career of Quincy Jones)

• Joan Dideon - The Center Will Not Hold

• The National Parks Series by Ken Burns

• The West Series by Ken Burns

• The Roosevelts by Ken Burns (Documentary)

• Prohibition by Ken Burns (Documentary on Prohibition)

• Free Solo (Documentary about free rock climber Alex Honnold)

• The Dawn Wall (Rock climbers in Yosemite)

• Fire On The Mountain (Grateful Dead-themed action sports film)

• John & Yoko - Above Us Only Sky (Untold story of Lennon’s “Imagine” album)

• The King’s Speech (Rousing period drama starring Colin Firth)

• David Crosby: Remember My Name (Life and career of Crosby)

• Echo in the Canyon (Documentary on how The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, and The Mamas & the Papas birthed the beginnings of a music scene)

• Clarence Clemons -- Who Do I Think I Am? (Documentary on Bruce Springsteen’s saxophonist)

• David Letterman – My Next Guest Needs No Introduction (Interview series)

• Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (Documentary on small bank prosecuted in financial crisis)

• Life Itself (Drama, romance)

• The Big Interview with Dan Rather (Interview series with entertainment bent)

• George Harrison: Living in a Material World (Martin Scorsese’s portrait of the late George Harrison)

• Woodstock: Three Days That Defined a Generation (Documentary on Woodstock)

• Joe Cocker: Mad Dog with Soul (Documentary on the rise of Joe Cocker)

• Icarus (Netflix documentary about doping/sports)

• Immortal Beloved (Biography of Beethoven)

• Amadeus (Biographical drama of Mozart)

• Dirty Money (Netflix series on corporate corruption and fraud)

• Senna (Life of Brazilian motor-racing champion Ayrton Senna)

• Inequality for All (Robert Reich documentary on disparity of rich-poor)

• Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Film (Martin Scorsese chronicles life of Dylan)

• Long Strange Trip: The Untold Story of the Grateful Dead (Documentary)

Later in the week... I’ll post Bill Walton’s book list.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I just finished The Man in The High Castle, I really liked it, but I'm into that stuff. Also, just finished the first season of the Mandalorian and it was awesome. Like a space western.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JK.... I watched one yesterday called the beautiful bones. realy liked it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Movie critiques during Virus.

Link Copied to Clipboard