I love watching the creative process.

This is cool to me.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

A tortured genius soul. Chet Baker.

Legend
Legend
I watch this clip 3-4 times/year. I get something new from it every time.

The players on this date are top shelf, best in the biz. The way Herb constructed that groove with the rolling triplet ride, bass notes nver on the beat... it took a moment before I realized it was gooving in 12/8. That is one of my favorite grooves, because the swing is built-in.

And the arrangement: smooth like Skippy- as only Herb can lay it down. With or without Sting, that was just some damn sexy music. Played by certified Macs. And that extended solo by Herb: it's killer, as always... and then, the ear slides over to visit the rhythm section... and those guys are locked together like fine machinery. So tight, cohesive. And they don't just grind out the same stuff, form after form... all of them are listening to each other, playing off each others' ideas. Collaborative Improvisation simply doesn't get better than this.

Glad you shared this. I duuno why I never did.
Thanks for running this into the end zone.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
One of my cherished recordings is "The Last Great Concert: My Favorite Songs, Vol. 1 & 2. Go get this recording. It's one of Clemmy's, "Top 100 Discs To Own."

The concert was recorded live over 2 dates. Two weeks later, Chet was found on the sidewalk below an Amsterdam hotel balcony.

Chet was straight ballin the entire date. He led with his heart on all the melodies, and his solos torched the stage to ash. He was just mounting his big comeback. This collection is evidence of how his game was back. It's the last thing he ever shared with us. It deserves a spot in your collection. The liner notes give us great insight into Chet's state of mind on the dates. The music bears out the author's observations. In all- a great get.

Don't take my word for it:
Jazz Times Review

It's just one of dozens that sing Chet's praises.

*EDIT*

Someone once described the young Chet Baker as "James Dean, Frank Sinatra and Bix (Beiderbecke), rolled into one." For those of you who don't know this man's story, heroin addiction and a sketchy life on the fringes produced that face in bonefish's video. This is what Chet Baker looked like when he first started out:

Chet Baker died at the age of 59.

Last edited by Clemdawg; 03/25/20 11:46 PM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Thanks for sharing that clip.

One of the greats.

I still have the vinyl of "Head Hunters" but haven't listened to it in awhile. Great album.

"Possibilities" I have on CD - has a good rendition of "Hush, Hush, Hush" with Annie Lenox.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kind of looked like one of the Everly Brothers.

When you listen to guys like Chet and Charley Parker and others it makes you wonder why did these guys "have" to go over the edge?

Jazz in the fifties was haunted by heroine use. It was like they played for each other and never really "made it." They never reached the audience of popular music.
So many crashed and burned like they just were broken.

One of my best friends who played for Buddy Rich is a broken hollow drunk.

So sad to see all that talent wasted along with a ruined life.

At the same time they produced some of the greatest music ever.

Last edited by bonefish; 03/26/20 06:09 PM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Jam session with Sting and Herbie

Link Copied to Clipboard