H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Here is a pre-draft analysis of Forbes.

Quote:
Drew Forbes NFL Draft 2019: Scouting Report for Cleveland Browns' Pick

Matt MillerApril 27, 2019

STRENGTHS

—Experienced at tackle but will likely move to guard in the NFL at 6'5", 305 pounds.

—Highly athletic mover on tape who can pull, trap and slide laterally to reach outside pass-rushers.

—Good first-step quickness and can get upfield to attack linebackers.

—Could make a very good transition to a zone-blocking scheme in the NFL with his upfield and lateral movement.

—Athleticism and fire make scouts believe he will make big strides once developed by pro coaches and brought into a top-tier strength program.

WEAKNESSES

—Small-school competition will limit how the NFL sees him after he wasn't invited to the NFL combine or Senior Bowl.

—Shorter arms (32 ⅝") could worry teams, which is another reason he's seen as a guard.

—Play power is questionable on tape against small-school defenders and must be improved at the next level.

—Was able to dominate by being an athlete and needs to work on punch accuracy to get his hands inside the frames of defenders.

—Limited ability to anchor against a bull rush.

OVERALL

A sneaky good interior offensive line prospect who has the athleticism and drive to become much better than his draft position. Forbes needs to gain strength and work on technique against power players, but his movement skills and quickness are worthy of a top-200 pick.

GRADE: 5.65 (ROUND 5 - BACKUP CALIBER)

PRO COMPARISON: Justin Pugh

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2824...and-browns-pick

I like the comments about him being a good fit in a ZBS, his athleticism, and that he played LT in college. Hopefully, he is adding a bit of "good" weight.

I like that the “cons” seem to be all coachable or strength training. Both doable.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I don’t know, I’m just fishing for opinions.

I think 'they' like Forbes...whether that is as an interior guy (like C even) or OT is TBD.

I don't know it is so much they like him over they don't know all that much about him. He doesn't have much pro tape.

He is going to go to camp, when it opens in 2021.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think 'they' like Forbes...whether that is as an interior guy (like C even) or OT is TBD.

I don't know it is so much they like him over they don't know all that much about him. He doesn't have much pro tape.

Thats quite optimistic of you ... don't you think?

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
He doesn't get alot of movement in run blocking, but in the zone-scheme, graining leverage is more important.

I hope this received as an educational post. Leverage is important in almost everything,including blocking. If anything, leverage might be more important in base [man] blocking than in zone.

Here are some of the biggest differences between Man and Zone blocking.

--In man, you are responsible for a man. You block the guy you are responsible for. That depends on the play call. Sometimes it's the man right over you. Other times it can be a guy down the line [gap or angle blocking.] Other times it can be a guy on the second level, such as a LBer or S.

--Zone is about blocking an area. You are responsible for a space. On running plays, the play-side dudes have one set of responsibilities and the backside typically just area block, or seal off the back side. Often, the linemen are asked to put a shoulder into the defender that another blocker is going to block and then go to the second level and seal off an area or space.

--This is very generic, but Man/Base blocking requires more strength and leverage, while zone blocking requires more agility, athleticism, and technique. I will add that great technique is important to both.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/25/20 07:47 PM. Reason: grammar
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Thats quite optimistic of you ... don't you think?

It is. I actually think more like 2021 t0 23. New Orleans is starting to explode. Carnival had over a million people in the Quarter. Corona was there then, and all those people were in close quarters, rubbing up against each other.

I might add, the number of young people in dire need is increasing. Obviously older people are at more risk because, well, they are older. We are all going to die of something.

The fact more and more people in their 20's and 30's are experiencing serious complications has me very concerned.

I could very well be wrong, but my feeling is this isn't going away anytime soon. There is a good chance we will find a vaccine, but that is near two years out. You have to test for a year or two before you just start injecting people with something you aren't 99.9% sure is going to work and not complicate matters.

Just watch New Orleans. See what happens there. It's going to come to every city and town.

There will be no football this season. We have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 03/25/20 07:56 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree there is a possibility of no football - or no football with fans ... we'll see.

I don't know about New Orleans unless they simply don't have the means to test? 1700 cases in Louisiana - 30,000 in NY. I don't see how they would become the epicenter. But until we have more data - anything is possible for sure.

Regarding the OL and Forbes - I believe we are in a position to not have to take OT with the first pick of the draft next year, to me that is a great thing as drafting a pick weighted for need is not optimal.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Could Drew Forbes be the answer at RG?

Link Copied to Clipboard