Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Let's see if this will work...? Yep, it appears to be working...click the arrow and watch the Docorah Eagles as they sit on 3 eggs.

Enjoy...

Last edited by mac; 03/26/20 06:49 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I've seen a video from one of these nest cams where they brought in somebody's pet kitty, collar and all and fed it to the eaglets.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I've seen a video from one of these nest cams where they brought in somebody's pet kitty, collar and all and fed it to the eaglets.

jfan...this is "live feed" from Decorah, Iowa...

The only feeding that goes on here is what the Eagles find to feed their young as well as themselves. Mainly fish as the weather warms.

No idea what you are talking about.. saywhat

Legend
Legend

Fresh Muffy muffins, get’em at a nest near you.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: mac

The only feeding that goes on here is what the Eagles find to feed their young as well as themselves. Mainly fish as the weather warms.

That's exactly what he's talking about.

Eagles eat what they can catch. If it's a kitty, a snake, a puppy, a mouse, rat, etc........they catch it, they eat if and/or feed it to their young.

That's what he was talking about. He wasn't talking about humans feeding the birds.

Legend
Legend

They, meaning one of the adult eagles, brought the cat to the nest and fed it to the eaglets. Sorry that wasn't clear.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

They, meaning one of the adult eagles, brought the cat to the nest and fed it to the eaglets. Sorry that wasn't clear.

It had nothing to do with the video feed I posted or the eagles being shown by the video I posted.

Just some educational material about an Eagles diet.

What does a bald eagle eat?
Fish is the primary food of bald eagles, but they will eat a variety of other animals and birds. Their prey items include waterfowl and small mammals like squirrels, prairie dogs, raccoons and rabbits. Bald eagles are opportunistic predators meaning that in addition to hunting for live prey, they will steal from other animals (primarily from other eagles or smaller fish eating birds) or scavenge on carrion.
link

It is possible that the Eagle picked up the cat after it was already dead, after it was hit by a car. It is best for pet owners to keep their small pets inside where they are safe.

Legend
Legend
I was just offering some info that I thought people would find interesting, not demeaning your post. No need to explain that stuff to me, I used to be a bald eagle nest monitor for the division of wildlife when the reintroduction program was taking off.

Back in the late 1970's there were only 3 active nests in the state, none of which were producing viable eggs due to DDT poisoning softening the shells. It was a real rarity to see an eagle in Ohio. A DDT ban was enacted and some eggs were brought in from Tennessee and placed in those nests, and the program took off from there. When I stopped being a monitor around 2000, there were over a hundred active nests in the state, most of which were producing young. It's practically impossible now to drive along route 2 between Toledo and Port Clinton and not see eagles.

It's amazing to think that these birds were almost extinct in Ohio.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The video of the kitty was posted in 2016 and the nest was located in the Pittsburgh area. The story below...

Eagle cam shows eagles feeding cat to young
Mary Bowerman
USA TODAY Network
7:59 a.m Apr 29,2016 Updated 12:34 p.m. Apr 29, 2016
Honey, where’s the cat?

A live bald eagle cam of a nest in Pittsburgh caught some eye-raising activity on Tuesday when an Eagle brought its eaglets a cat home for lunch.

Yes, a cat.

Wildlife officials believe the cat was “dead when brought to the nest,” the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania said on Facebook Wednesday.

Some viewing the live cam were distressed that the eagles were eating a cat and questioned whether the animal was someone’s pet.

“I'm sorry for the cat and I'm sorry if it was someone's pet,” Kathy Knight said on the Audubon’s Facebook page. “I understand how nature works, but it's still heartbreaking to see.”

Bald Eagles in Western Pennsylvania - Audubon Society of Western PA
about 4 years ago
We've received a number of questions about the Hays Bald Eagles bringing a cat into the nest yesterday. It's true that they brought in a cat and it's also true that they fed it to the eaglets. After reviewing the footage, we believe that the cat was dead when brought to the nest. While many may cringe at this, the eagles bring squirrels, rabbits, fish (and other animals) into the nest to eat multiple times each day. To people, the cat represents a pet but to the eagles and to other raptors, the cat is a way to sustain the eaglets and help them to grow. At Audubon, we encourage people to keep cats indoors for many reasons--primarily because cats themselves eat many, many songbirds. While seeing a cat in the nest was difficult for many, we're hopeful that people will understand that this is a part of nature, and nature isn't always kind or pretty. eagles.aswp.org

The Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania noted that the incident was “part of nature and nature isn't always kind or pretty.”

“While many may cringe at this, the eagles bring squirrels, rabbits, fish (and other animals) into the nest to eat multiple times each day,” the society said in the post. “To people, the cat represents a pet but to the eagles and to other raptors, the cat is a way to sustain the eaglets and help them to grow.”

The majority of commenters noted that its best to keep cats indoors, not only to prevent eagles from snatching them, but also to prevent cats from killing songbirds.

WARNING: Some may find the following video disturbing.

LINK

Legend
Legend
Eagles gotta eat too! thumbsup

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Let's see if this will work...? Yep, it appears to be working...click the arrow and watch the Docorah Eagles as they sit on 3 eggs.

Enjoy...

If you go back to 8:20am, you can watch shift change as mom takes over sitting on the eggs and dad is now free to eat some breakfast.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Air Force Academy graduation was yesterday. After the graduation, the Thunderbirds flew along the front range over numerous hospitals as a salute to the COVID19 frontline workers. Also caught a distant shot of Air Force 2.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
So right before the pandemic hit the United States, we went to Orlando, Florida for an early Wedding Anniversary trip.

My wife surprised me around Christmas with a wonderful gift. She told me my Christmas and Birthday present from her would be a custom built metal lightsaber from Star Wars Galaxy's Edge when we went to Baatu at Hollywood Studios.

Here's my creation.

The blade is detachable. It's a really cool item that I own.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Here's some of the other photos from the trip. I really love what my D750 can do handheld in low-light conditions.

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S

Lorain LIghthouse

Last edited by sk8termom; 06/16/20 10:09 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ouachita Mountains, Oklahoma

Larger

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Tulsa, OK.

Here's a mural of Black Wall Street painted on the side of the interstate, just across the street from historic Vernon A.M.E. Church referenced in the letter L.

Larger

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Now that's a capture! People throw that term around too much. It was meant for pics like this.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Full with a touch of clouds.

Larger

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
I took a photo of a covered bridge in Windsor Ohio and accidentally got an Amish buggy in it. They gave me permission to use the picture, so here it is.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

Found an airshow that wasn't canceled.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
So I went and did this to my life today.
He’s an 8 week old pit/mastiff mix. 14 pounds. Daddy was 130, mom 63. So we’re hoping for a happy middle ground. He was the smallest male in his litter.
No name yet. Have some ideas but have to get to know him a bit.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
So I went and did this to my life today.
He’s an 8 week old pit/mastiff mix. 14 pounds. Daddy was 130, mom 63. So we’re hoping for a happy middle ground. He was the smallest male in his litter.
No name yet. Have some ideas but have to get to know him a bit.

Congrats bro! Another lucky dog!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Thanks. It’s been a weird day emotionally. Samson died eleven months ago today. This dog isn’t him but he’s got big shoes to fill. Lots of training ahead.... but right now it’s nap time.
Honestly, I’m not going to compare. It’s not fair to the new pup, or Samson’s memory. I know there’s a well trained dog inside him. It’s my job to coax it out.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Congrats on the new pup!

I had the "perfect" dog in Duke. Man, he learned it all. I had to remind myself that there were struggles along the way at first ..... a few shredded bedspreads ..... and dome other issues in the 1st year or so, until he learned it all.

Dobby has been on a similar path. He's coming along well .... though it was a struggle at first. It's just been a year now, as Facebook just reminded me.

Best wishes for you and your new buddy. I'm sure that he's going to be a great dog.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pups are so much fun, congrats!

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, a new pup is a lot of work. But you know as well as I do it's a labor of love. Congrats Bud! Beautiful pup!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
With so much stuff going on that can get us all "worked up", I want to add something that everyone can enjoy that is good for your blood pressure and will give you a reason to LOL.

Enjoy...

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
From the Lorain-Carnegie bridge

Last edited by sk8termom; 10/03/20 07:56 PM.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Best part about replacing our deck? I get a great vantage point for astrophotography!

This is from this morning:

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
From earlier this evening:

Fullsize

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Everybody hail the pumpkin song!

Larger

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Photography Thread...

Link Copied to Clipboard