Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Hall of Fame outfielder and Detroit Tigers legend Al Kaline dies at 85

April 6, 2020

ESPN

Al Kaline, a Hall of Famer who played all 22 years of his career in Detroit, earning the nickname "Mr. Tiger," died Monday, a team official confirmed to ESPN. Kaline was 85.

Kaline, an All-Star in 15 seasons and a 10-time Gold Glove winner in right field, retired shortly after recording his 3,000 hit in 1974 and joined the Tigers' broadcasting team. He continued to work for the Tigers after his retirement from the booth in 2002.

He became the first Tiger to have his number retired, with the "No. 6" by which he was known in the clubhouse going up on the walls in 1980. He was also elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame that year, his first on the ballot.

"Baseball lost a titan today," Tigers chairman and CEO Christopher Ilitch said in a statement. "Anyone who knew Al Kaline would describe his gentle soul and passion for baseball as an unbelievably powerful combination, making him one of the most respected players in Major League Baseball history."

The cause of death was not immediately known, but the Detroit News reported that Kaline had recently suffered a stroke.

Born and raised in Baltimore, Kaline joined the Tigers right out of high school, making his major league debut in 1953. By 1955, he had become the youngest player ever to win the American League batting title and finished second to Yogi Berra in voting for the AL MVP.

Like many players of his era, Kaline worked in the offseason after getting into the majors. He was a salesman in a Baltimore sporting goods store, even after he won the batting title in 1955.

"I was a terrible salesman," Kaline said. "Most of the time, I was down in the basement practicing my swing."

Justin Verlander, who won the American League Cy Young Award with the Tigers in 2011, lauded Kaline on social media Monday, saying "I hope you knew how much I enjoyed our conversations about baseball," in a post on Twitter.

Such a kind and generous man who meant so much to so many. I hope you knew how much I enjoyed our conversations about baseball, life, or just giving each other a hard time. I am honored to have been able to call you my friend for all these years. R.I.P. Mr Tiger, Al Kaline.
— Justin Verlander (@JustinVerlander) April 6, 2020

Hall of Fame pitcher Phil Niekro concurred. "This one hits hard," he told ESPN. "Al, Harmon Killebrew, Brooks Robinson, Robin Yount, I loved seeing them in Cooperstown because they were old-school, just real gentlemen."

Kaline made his lone appearance in a World Series in 1968, on the Tigers team led by pitchers Denny McLain and Mickey Lolich. Kaline had been sidelined for part of the season with a broken arm, and when he returned he was used mostly as a pinch hitter or first baseman because the outfield trio of Willie Horton, Mickey Stanley and Jim Northrup was playing well.

When the Tigers clinched the pennant, Kaline went to manager Mayo Smith and told him that he didn't deserve to start in the World Series. Smith ignored him and played Kaline, who batted .379, hit two home runs and drove in eight as the Tigers beat the St. Louis Cardinals in seven games.

"The impact of his life is wide-reaching," Ilitch wrote, "and he will be greatly missed by millions in Detroit, the state of Michigan and across the baseball community."

Kaline finished his career with 3,007 hits, 399 home runs and a .297 career batting average.

On his 80th birthday, he said: "To this day, I can't believe the life I've had. I wanted to be a baseball player -- and do the one thing I was good at.

"Even now, I love it so much."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29001986/undefined

Legend
Legend
This is sad.

RIP - I loved watching you play.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
He was an awesome individual. I'll never forget that 1968 world series, we would gather 'round our transistor radios in our 3rd grade classroom because they played afternoon games back then. When he retired, he became George Kell's sidekick on the Tiger TV broadcasts for many years. He came across as a genuine, down to earth human being who was just a joy to listen to, adding stories and anecdotes from his many years of playing. RIP Al.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I used to be a huge baseball fan and Al Kaline was truly an excellent player and a really good person.

Legend
Legend
Never saw him but have heard he was great. RIP Al

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I grew up a Tigers fan through the 80’s. His voice, along with Ernie Harwell’s, were summertime staples.
RIP

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Before my time, but I know a fair bit of baseball history pre-90s and he was a GREAT player.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Another childhood hero departs...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for his family ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I had his rookie card thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Al was good at everything on the ball field. At the end of the year he hit .295, hit 25 homers, had 95 RBI's and scored 90, plus he had a laser arm in RF....maybe just behind Roberto

Mr. Tiger for sure. One of those players who crept up on you. Silent, but always at the top of the stat line, except errors.

On a side note, my father grew up in Toledo. He was Tiger fan. His company held Indians season tickets, so he always held back four for us to attend, so I went to a lot of games against the Tigers when growing up.

RIP , Al. You were a dandy, and more important, a class act.

Nothing real flashy in any area, but solid everywhere. Al was a complete ballplayer. Exactly the player you wanted on the team. Other players stood up at attention when he talked because he was good at everything. He could walk the walk.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
RIP Mr. Tiger, Mr. Consistency

E
Legend
Legend
E
Lived in Europe 4-9 years old. The first place we were stationed was Cleveland and became a Browns fan especially Jim Brown. Baseball Al Kaline was the first star that I knew as my best friend was from Detroit (we lived in a new development in Euclid) and a die hard Tiger fan.

Next year I moved to Pittsburgh wondered why a lot of kids in school did not like me as I talked about the Browns...lol laugh

But became a die hard Pirate fan and Roberto Clemente fan but always respected Al Kaline as a great player and person.

R.I.P. may his memories be eternal.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Al Kaline was a legend of the game.

One of those guys who could wake up in December step into a batters box and barrel up balls.

One of the most respected players to play the game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Al Kaline was a legend of the game.

One of those guys who could wake up in December step into a batters box and barrel up balls.

One of the most respected players to play the game.

I like that. Well said.

The guy could bruise a baseball.

Al was a complete player. Under rated because nothing really stood out because everything stood out if left on it's own.

Hit for average, hit for power and rbi's. Had maybe 10 gold gloves as a right fielder. A good guy.

Really, he was everything you could want. Seriously.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 04/18/20 12:27 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
A legit 5-tool player, which is a pretty exclusive club in baseball history.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum A Great Ballplayer: Al Kaline dead at 85

Link Copied to Clipboard