Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
DRAT!!! Or as my grandmother would say: "Dang It Anyhow"!!!

Surprised this hasn't been posted(or I didn't see it?). Announced over a week ago. Just decided to see when it started myself. Looked it up and then I cried for an hour. rofl

Was really looking forward to it. Every 4 years my absolute favorite sporting event(s).

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28946033/tokyo-olympics-officially-postponed-2021

Never before had the Olympic Games been postponed or canceled for something other than war, but rarely has the world come to a grinding halt the way it has over the novel coronavirus.

What felt like the last major sporting event untouched by the current strain of the coronavirus -- known formally as COVID-19 -- the 2020 Olympics served as a glimmer of hope for the entire globe. But on Tuesday, Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach agreed to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Olympics by about one year.

The opening ceremony had been planned for July 24.

The 2020 Olympics are officially postponed, but many more questions remain

Despite the postponement, the Summer Olympics -- when they eventually happen -- will still be called the Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020. The Olympic flame will also remain stored and displayed in Fukushima.

"[T]he IOC president and the Prime Minister of Japan have concluded that the Games ... must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021, to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games and the international community," said a joint statement by the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee and the IOC.

According to the statement, the World Health Organization had consulted with both parties on Tuesday about what it called the "accelerating" pandemic. There are now more than 390,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, with more than 17,000 deaths. Nearly every country has been impacted.

The decision comes less than 48 hours after the IOC said it was giving itself four weeks to make a decision about the Olympics. As the coronavirus continued to spread in recent weeks, Bach and members of Japan's government insisted the Games could go forward. Sunday's statement was the first on-the-record acknowledgement that a postponement could actually happen.

Pressure from nations and athletes alike mounted in recent days, and most recently, Canada said it would not send representatives to the Olympics without a delay. Australia later joined in that decision.

The U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee sent a survey over the weekend to more than 4,000 American Olympics hopefuls, and nearly seven in 10 respondents said they didn't think the Games would be fair if held in July. Germany and Poland had also called for the Games to be delayed.

"Despite the feeling of eventuality that so many of us have felt in the lead up to this moment -- my heart breaks for you, your fellow athletes around the world, our friends at Tokyo 2020, the people of Japan, and all who are impacted by this global pandemic and the decision to postpone the Tokyo Games 2020," USOPC CEO Sarah Hirshland wrote in a letter to the athletes.

"We heard your concerns and we shared them. I thank you for being so forthcoming with your perspectives, and also for allowing us the time to hear from your teammates across all sports before making a recommendation to the IOC."

The Olympics had never been rescheduled for something other than war. In 1916, 1940 and 1944, the Games were canceled because of the world wars.

In addition to the impact on the athletes whose lives have now been upended by the decision, the financial impact will be staggering. The organizers of Tokyo 2020 estimated the cost to be roughly $12.6 billion, while other experts have put that figure closer to $25 billion. The delay will also impact the billions spent by sponsors and broadcasters.

The IOC and Tokyo organizers said they hope the decision to postpone will help the world heal from the pandemic.

"The leaders agreed that the Olympic Games in Tokyo could stand as a beacon of hope to the world during these troubled times and that the Olympic flame could become the light at the end of the tunnel in which the world finds itself at present," the IOC statement said.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Revised 2020 golf schedule:

- Potential PGA Tour event June 18-21
- The Open Championship - canceled
- PGA Championship Aug. 6-9
- FedEx Cup Playoffs begin Aug. 13
- U.S. Open Sept. 17-20
- Ryder Cup remains Sept. 25-27
- Masters Nov. 12-15

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Wow.

US Open.....cancelled.

Oops. Read that wrong.

Last edited by TTTDawg; 04/06/20 07:51 PM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
Wow.

US Open.....cancelled.

Oops. Read that wrong.

You may not be wrong. Remember, they’re saying Covid is coming back in the fall and the US Open is being played in the veritable center of the U.S. outbreak in Mamaroneck, NY. Who is going to risk venturing to a tournament and stand shoulder to shoulder with people you don’t know to see some guy hit a golf ball?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
At least the Masters is in November for now ... that would be pretty cool to see as a one year change up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Sad to see it postponed but rightnmove....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought it was posted in the EE forum in one of the COVID-19 threads?

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I thought it was posted in the EE forum in one of the COVID-19 threads?

Don't recall it but then again "not recallin much these days". rofl

63yo in 2ish weeks. If it is posted there then no doubt it's all starting to happen to me now. willynilly

tongue

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Tokyo 2020 Olympics officially postponed until 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard