Print Thread
#1749657 04/05/20 10:40 PM
T
ThomasE Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
T
Used to love watching him run, what a tandem, him and Jim Brown, there will never be one better

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/...ef-dc24c77905c6

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ahhh................sh................

Getting older sucks. I remember watching Bobby Mitchell when I was a kid. Great player.

My memory might be faulty, but I remember him as a RB and KR in Cleveland. He was w/the great Jim Brown for awhile. I think we traded him to Washington for the rights to draft Ernie Davis.

Mitchel moved to flanker and teamed w/Charlie Taylor to form one of the most dynamic duos ever. Sonny Jurgeonson and then then Billy Kilmer threw to these guys and they lit up the scoreboard long before offense was a league-wide priority.

This is just a memory account. Please do not call me a liar or a deceiver. If I am wrong in my recollections, please just provide corrections and don't make this a personality conflict. Thanks in advance.

Legend
Legend
Tough tough year ... RIP to a legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

My father worked for TRW. For those that don't remember TRW had a giant plant on Euclid Ave.

Every year at Christmas they had a huge banquet for the employees. I would work busing tables.

It was either 1960 or 1961 they had about 6 or so Browns players attend the banquet and meet the employees. Bobby Mitchell was one of the players there. At first I thought he was Jim Brown. Then found out it was Mitchell. I served his table. Introduced myself and shook his hand. It was a big deal to me. I was like 12.

Bobby Mitchell was an incredible halfback for the Browns. Mr. shake and bake. Super quick and elusive. He was a exciting player to watch. A great compliment runner to Brown. They used him on pitch plays to the outside where he could get space and juke guys.

It made me sick when he was traded to Washington. They turned him into a flanker and he went on to become a hall of famer.

The Browns in those days were the cream of football. I loved the old uniforms with the seal skin brown tops and white pants. I was super proud of the team.

Bobby Mitchell and Jim Brown were the players that forged me into a die hard Browns fan.

Sorry to see him go. RIP Bobby I remember you very well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
When I first became a Browns' fan, it was all about Jim Brown and Bobby Mitchell. Thunder and Lightning. I loved Bobby's against-the-grain, open field running. He made people miss and then ran away from them. I was so upset when they traded him for the rights to Ernie Davis. For me, it was right up there with the Indians' trade of Rocky Colavito, in terms of shock and disappointment.

Rest in peace, Bobby.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This highlight video isn't a great production, but the game clips are still good.

Legend
Legend

Those were great days to be a Browns fan.

I hope I live long enough to see the Browns be like that again.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Amen !

Legend
Legend
Agreed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its amazing to me that Bobby Mitchell was the first African-American to ever play for the Washington Redskins - in 1962! The Browns were the first team in professional football (NFL & AAFC) to integrate in 1946 with Bill Willis and Marion Motley, months before Jackie Robinson took the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. That's something for Browns fans to be proud of, IMO. Its also embarrassing that the team representing our nation's capital was the last team to do it, 16 years later.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Man, the older one gets the more those in your memories are lost. My heart goes out to his family.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Nostalgia for sure.

At that time I had Plain Dealer route. 24/7, 365 up at 5:00 am.

I would read the sports section before heading out. It was what formed me not only as a Browns fan but also the discipline of working.

All week I read how the opposing team planned on stopping JB. It all sounded great until he hit the line. He was unstoppable.

Bobby was the juke man. Great player.

At that time I would never have thought we would suffer so much as time went on.

I still hold on to that hoping for those good times again.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for his family ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
What a loss. One of the greats and a part of the Browns heritage. Great to watch him and Jim Brown.

Thanks for the memories. Prayers for you and those who love you. RIP.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
INteresting note about Mitchell & Taylor. The Browns used Mitchell as a RB and was switched to flanker when he went to Washington, at least I think so. Taylor was NFL ROTY as a RB, then really made his name as a WR .

I loved the 1960s and 1970s NFL. Love watching YouTube now for old "This week in pro football", usually hosted by Summerall & Brookshier. I could not wait until 2 pm Saturday t watch that show as a kid. Maybe it was because I was a kid, but football was more fun then.

Sorry if I sidetracked. Both of those names brought back memories.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are exactly right about Charlie Taylor also being a RB. Good recall.

I really enjoyed your post. I think you captured things well w/out using many words. Nicely done!!!

I remember a game during the mid-60s between the Redskins and Giants. I was probably around 9-11 years old at the time. I turned it on and was amazed.

The Giants scored over 40 points and got blown out. Washington had over 70 points. Sonny Jurgenson was the qb for Washington and Taylor and Mitchell were on that team. It was incredible. I think it might have been the highest scoring game of all time.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think you are exactly right about Charlie Taylor also being a RB. Good recall.

I really enjoyed your post. I think you captured things well w/out using many words. Nicely done!!!

I remember a game during the mid-60s between the Redskins and Giants. I was probably around 9-11 years old at the time. I turned it on and was amazed.

The Giants scored over 40 points and got blown out. Washington had over 70 points. Sonny Jurgenson was the qb for Washington and Taylor and Mitchell were on that team. It was incredible. I think it might have been the highest scoring game of all time.

Thanks. I loved MLB, NFL & NBA as a kid. Only the Browns mean the same to me these days.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Back in the 70s RBs were expected to catch the ball as dual threats
Chuck Foreman...Greg Pruitt..Walter Payton
Lydell Mitchell...Terry Metcalf..
Back in those days offenses really attacked vertically abeit they didn't throw it with the volume like now
Back then WRs to average 16 17 20 yds a catch
Was the norm

Legend
Legend
That’s why I kind of think a guy like Eric Metcalf was a bit ahead of his time .. had he be around today, he’d be way more effective (think Kamara or CMC or Hunt)

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Another childhood legend gone. Too bad PB didn't move Bobby Mitchell to flanker(Ray Renfro mid to end of career) or split end (PB preferred older seasoned vets or player drafted as an end) to utilize his speed better,but in this time period PB did not utilize passing game as a weapon same as the early days. Enjoyed training camp clips he and Jim Brown running sprints to see who faster. This tandem gave opponents nightmares,even tho not being used as pass options on first ,second down. First,second where running downs,third passing down became very predicable play calling. Always a joy to see who--Jim or Bobby would have the longer run of the game or longer TD.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
B
Legend
Legend
B
RIP Bobby.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
I always loved the story he told about how Paul Brown would just yell at him when he wanted to yell at Jim Brown. LOL
sad to hear of his passing

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum RIP #49 Bobby Mitchell

Link Copied to Clipboard