Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I’m so excited we extended Njoku ... rolleyes ...

Dudes more overrated on here than Higgs ... thumbsup

About Njoku, if you look at his first year,
when I did 2 years ago, seems

When they did rarely throw it his way he had a lot of big gains and touchdowns, I felt if they'd only use him more he'd be real star worthy.

I don't think there is anything holding him back except coaching, and scheme.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

I don't think there is anything holding him back except coaching, and scheme.

and consistency with his hands, and his blocking.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BADdog #1760062 05/03/20 04:23 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Myles Garrett is the only one out of the top five picks to have his fifth year option exercised.

Legend
Legend

Going into 2019 I thought Njoku was going to be a weapon especially in the red zone.

It didn't work out that way. He got hurt then fell out of favor with the coaching staff.

This year is a prove it year for him. He has to show that he can be a complete TE.

Now he will have real competition with the addition of Hooper and Bryant.

It is all on him.

Legend
Legend
He has seemed less of a weapon than his physical specs suggest he should be. My expectations exceed his play. Seems he could do more and should. Last year and FK didn't help. Hope he gets better; I see him as trade bait later if it isn't locked down tight soon.

May be wrong, but better have the light pop on soon.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BADdog #1760569 05/05/20 02:32 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How do you think Njoku is going to prove it this year?

At best he's the TE #2 on a team that just signed a TE to the richest TE package in football. Hooper had 97 targets and 75 receptions last year with Atlanta. Do you really think that the Browns expect him to give up 50% of his targets to Njoku after giving him that contract? Or maybe, Njoku can steal those targets from OBJ and Landry which isn't going to happen.

Outside of injury, Njoku is looking at about 30 targets top for the entire season. MIN TE's last year were only targeted 105 times with 83 receptions and they played 2-TE sets 57% of the time. Keep in mind that's only 8 more targets than Hooper had all by himself in Atlanta. That would mean that Njoku's main purpose of being on the field is to block which is his weakest area outside of his hands.

So now the question is do you move Njoku in a trade where teams are forced to look at his 2018 stats since he was injured in 2019 or do you wait a year and be stuck with Njoku because he only had 30 targets, been exposed as a poor blocker, and sitting on a 6-million dollar salary because the Browns extended him and now no one will take that heavy contract for such poor production?

Or a worst situation would be the idea of splitting those targets to about 50 a piece and then trying to explain why you signed a TE for 44-million with 23 million guaranteed to cut his production level by 50%. Not to mention that then the Browns would be forced to extend Njoku with a contract more expensive than what they are paying Hooper.

If the Browns don't unload Njoku now while his value is still somewhat high, they will be stuck with him for the next 2-years unless they cut him after this year proving they blew another 1st round pick. I also don't believe the Browns will be running 2-TE sets nearly as much as MIN did in 2019. They had issues at WR and the Browns had the 3rd best yds per carry last year using 2-TE sets about 35% of the time. If this becomes true, Njoku's value drops even further for the Browns.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
What about his playing time last season makes you think he's worth any more now than he might be with a healthy 2020 season? To me that's no more than total speculation based on conjecture.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure how much player salaries goes into game planning. Sure, the largest salaries generally to the biggest play-makers, but if a lower priced player is being more productive, I doubt the HC is going to go with the player making more money. I'm speaking generally, not specific to Hooper/Njoku. My point is salaries become less important when the goal is winning games.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I'm not sure how much player salaries goes into game planning. Sure, the largest salaries generally to the biggest play-makers, but if a lower priced player is being more productive, I doubt the HC is going to go with the player making more money. I'm speaking generally, not specific to Hooper/Njoku. My point is salaries become less important when the goal is winning games.

In this specific case, I agree with you. There was a path in keeping Njoku on the team, and his 5th year option was it. I would hope that the coaching staff wouldn't keep him just for his blocking. They have to have some sort of pass-catching role for him. Njoku's skill set seems to be more for big chunk plays... not so much as the reliable security blanket.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BADdog #1760812 05/06/20 08:52 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good news, there is absolutely no reason to NOT try and sign Myles to a long term deal. He is a physical freak, a very good football player and despite his incident, he is a very quality person. He deserves a big money deal, he has 30 sacks in 35 games start in his career.

He had 10 in 10 games last season. He is 24 years old, his best years are in front of him.

Pay the man when it's time.

BpG #1760813 05/06/20 09:01 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
Good news, there is absolutely no reason to NOT try and sign Myles to a long term deal. He is a physical freak, a very good football player and despite his incident, he is a very quality person. He deserves a big money deal, he has 30 sacks in 35 games start in his career.

He had 10 in 10 games last season. He is 24 years old, his best years are in front of him.

Pay the man when it's time.

Plus you might be able to allocate a significant amount of his guaranteed money on the books in 2020 if other players are worthy of large extensions in future years.

Tackles are tackles.
BADdog #1763366 05/17/20 08:03 AM
Legend
Legend
Myles Garrett As The Dark Knight
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/myles-garrett-as-the-dark-knight

A young man having a bad day needed to get his phone replaced only to find he didn't have the money. Feeling defeated, he was surprised to find Myles Garrett there, volunteering to pay off the balance and give him a break. In response to a tweet about a Browns fan's family who lost everything in a house fire as they had just welcomed a new baby into the world, Garrett drove three and a half hours to show up and surprise the family, gifts in hand.

Those are a couple of examples of acts by the Cleveland Browns defensive end that have endeared him to a fanbase as well as a community. There is no shortage of people who revile Garrett for the actions he took against Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph, hitting him with his helmet, resulting in a season-ending suspension. Many who love the Browns see a kindhearted man who made an awful mistake that will stick with him the rest of his life. And as much as everyone was stunned and horrified by the event, the person Garrett has often shown himself to be away from the football field is what has allowed fans to accept him despite the egregious misstep. It's easy to view Garrett as a villain, but for those people whose lives he's touched, he is a hero; a hero with a fateful flaw.

115 dollars isn't a significant amount of money to Garrett, especially considering the contract extension he's poised to sign with the Browns, but it was a significant amount of money to the young man who needed a break in that moment. A family that should've been celebrating the birth of a new child was instead reeling from the tragedy of losing their home. Giving up a day was a small gesture for Garrett by contrast, but it was everything to them in that moment.

Garrett isn't stopping street come, foiling bank robberies or leaving criminals tied up for the police to find and arrest.

At least not yet.

So far as the public knows.

His physical prowess might flirt with possessing super powers, but Garrett is just a guy who sees opportunities, often right in front of him, to step up and make differences in the lives of people, basically saying, "Why not me?"

Garrett didn't seek out credit in either case. It only drew notice when the people impacted by his kind gestures posted them on social media and it grew organically. Cynicism may naturally lead some to assume that Garrett is doing these deeds to buy good will in an effort to rehab his image, especially in the wake of his suspension, but that's never been the way he's operated. He's not trying to build or formulate a brand.

Garrett has always marched to the beat of his own drum and people have always had a difficult time figuring out who he is, how he's wired. While in consideration for the top overall pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, some criticized Garrett for having outside interests and not coming off like a typical jock. He didn't eat, drink and sleep football in the same way as many others. Because he liked to write poetry, listen to Marvin Gaye and really liked dinosaurs, maybe he wasn't passionate enough about football and it would prevent him from being among the best.

It went as far as insane theories that Garrett might get bored of football and retire simply because he was intelligent enough to have thoughts on other topics. And perhaps, if he opts for a life of fighting crime, he could. Nevertheless, he seems to have struck the delicate balance of being one of the best defensive players in football who also can occasionally learn new things, write poetry and listen to music.

The truest sense of who Garrett is might be listening to him argue with his college friends about basketball and anime while playing Fortnite. A self-described old head, he's got really strong opinions about basketball, having at least considered going that route coming out of high school. Garrett has said that Oklahoma tried to get him to play basketball for them. He and his friends argue new school against old school, various matchups and busting balls along the way. His general wisdom and how he typically carries himself belie his age, but when he's arguing about sports, and the stuff he watches, he sounds like a guy in his early 20s.

None of this is to suggest that anyone should forgive or forget what Garrett did, going into an almost blind rage and the actions he took. That's entirely up to the individual. It only highlights that Garrett is far more than that one act, however reprehensible it might have been and how much more damage it could've done.

In the wake of the brawl and suspension during the season, Garrett didn't hide or simply get away from it. He immediately went out and did charity work in an effort to help the poor for Thanksgiving, answering some uncomfortable questions in the process. However sizable Garrett's issues might have been in that moment, there were people in his community that had it far worse than he did and he was unwilling to simply stand on the sideline, feeling sorry for himself.

After Waterboys, the organization founded by Chris Long with the aim of bringing clean drinking water for areas in need, made the decision to stand by Garrett, he accompanied Long to Tanzania in February. Perhaps that was somewhat of a reprieve, going to Africa where people only saw him for donating his time and energy to a worthwhile cause and may have been completely unaware of the incident that led to his suspension. The efforts by Waterboys were life-changing to the community in Tanzania and yet the trip might have done almost as much for Garrett, allowing him to put everything in perspective.

Now, as Garrett prepares for the 2020 season, he now exists as a walking dichotomy, both as hero and villain; a dark knight so to speak. The choice he made in Pittsburgh will forever be attached to him, always referenced in terms of his career. Some will hold that decision against him forever, using that horrible act to define him. Those that choose to embrace him, including the Cleveland Browns and much of their fanbase won't forget the choice Garrett made, but see his heroic feats, both on and off the field, as a beacon of hope and potential redemption for a man, a football team and perhaps far more.

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/17/20 08:04 AM.

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Myles always seemed to be the kind of guy who would retire short of 30 at the peak of his career following a Super Bowl title because he's nothing left to accomplish and wants to tackle the next phase of his life. Enjoy him while he lasts.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Myles is truly a goo guy. To bad moe players aren't like him.

BADdog #1763387 05/17/20 10:09 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Do you have a disdain for consonants?

Hammer #1763405 05/17/20 11:31 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Do you have a disdain for consonants?

He missed a vowel too. Equal opportunity grammar gaffs.

[Linked Image]
BADdog #1789707 09/09/20 09:16 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
BADdog #1789710 09/09/20 09:28 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
When Njoku was selected, I remember there were 2 or 3 other Tight Ends highly thought of available, and I preferred another iirc, but, in that situation I have to side with the porfessionals, the drafters, knowing their stuff,
Now, as an organization, I only wish they could find out beforehand that somebody is going to want to stay on the Browns long term.

Continuity.

Legend
Legend
Always impressed by these guys ability ... but then it angers me when they drop in the games haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
that means he has 6 years and i sure hope it happens and i wouldn't mind a super bowl victory in even less time

Legend
Legend
Your DT board with the new Hooked on Fonix app.

Well, you know what I meant. LOL Good insights.

Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
So, if we dial up Njoku and work Garrett into the route somehow, then he catches everything, Call the OC!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
So, if we dial up Njoku and work Garrett into the route somehow, then he catches everything, Call the OC!

If the 49ers can hide speakers on their QB, maybe we can figure a way to get a virtual/augmented reality headset inside Njoku's helmet and superimpose Myles. Kidding...not kidding angel

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

If the 49ers can hide speakers on their QB,

?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Holy smokes!

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

I agree. He seems like a good guy.

He looks great. Has amazing athleticism.

He is just not a good football player.

Legend
Legend
We need VR to make Njoku a star!

Just tell the NFL it's for Gordon. Goodell seems willing to do anything for him, so slip this in for Njoku. LOL

Win, baby, win!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Myles and Njoku

Link Copied to Clipboard