Next Thread
Print Thread
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
Lions likely declining LB Jarrad Davis' fifth-year option

Print
By Adam Maya NFL.com
Published: May 2, 2020 at 11:16 a.m.Updated: May 2, 2020 at 11:40 a.m.
Count Jarrad Davis among the 2017 first-round picks playing for a new contract in 2020.

The Lions are not expected to pick up his fifth-year option, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. That would open the door for Davis to hit free agency after the season.

Davis has been serviceable at times over his first three seasons in Detroit. The middle linebacker tallied a carer-high 100 tackles and six sacks in 2018. His numbers and performance dipped in 2019, however, while losing five games to injury. Davis would finish with 63 tackles, two sacks and three forced fumbles.

The Lions chose Davis with the No. 21 overall pick three years ago. They did not draft his replacement last week but could be looking for it depending on how the upcoming season plays out.

Print

C
Legend
Legend
C
Our linebackers are so bad that taking a shot on basically anyone is a good idea. With a guy like this it depends on the compensation.

D
Legend
Legend
D
They may end up not being very good but right now there unproven ... we have no clue how good or bad they are ....

I have high hope for this dude from LSU we took being an upgrade for our run D .... Wilson flashed last year and that year of experience will be a major plus this season ... who knows what we have in Taki Taki ...

Unproven doe not = so bad ...

Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
The guy was a 1st round draft pick, he has skills. He has had some injuries, but when healthy, he gets downhill and really lays the lumber. We need to counter what the Ravens are doing with their ultra-power run game. Davis does not fit what Matt Patricias Linebackers do. I think Pittsburgh will also be running the ball a lot more considering Big Bens age and injury HX. Stuff I was reading says Mixon will also have a career high in carries with J Burrow as a rookie QB. We have not been able to stop the run consistently for a LONG time. If Davis fits what we do, we should try to make that room more competitive.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What it does do is leave a lot of open question marks.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

My biggest gripe so far under this management group was not paying Schobert.

They had the money. He was productive. And finding a middle LB who can cover is not easy.

They drafted a guy who they feel "could" replace him? But why risk that when you have a proven guy who was a team leader?

Wilson had a good rookie year. Taki mostly sat. My guess is he didn't learn. BJ Goodson seems like a fill guy. Nothing special so far in his career.

We have some other lb's on the roster who I have never heard of. So I don't know what the plan is there.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Taki mostly sat. My guess is he didn't learn.

What makes you think that he didn't learn?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B

My biggest gripe so far under this management group was not paying Schobert.

They had the money. He was productive. And finding a middle LB who can cover is not easy.

They drafted a guy who they feel "could" replace him? But why risk that when you have a proven guy who was a team leader?

Wilson had a good rookie year. Taki mostly sat. My guess is he didn't learn. BJ Goodson seems like a fill guy. Nothing special so far in his career.

We have some other lb's on the roster who I have never heard of. So I don't know what the plan is there.

I liked Sho, but when I think backer, I want a run stopper,. I am not really looking for a coverage guy. Joe wasn't all that great against the run.

I don't remember Ray Lewis, or Jack Lambert, or Dick Butkus being renowned for their coverage skills.

I could be wrong. I just remember them as guys who hammered running backs and QB's who strayed.

I know it's a different game today. It's why you see guys like Simmons so valued, but they are hard to find. My thinking is go with a "box" safety and one less backer pretty much all the time, but the two backers you do play need to be stout run defenders because if you do go light on D, teams are going to run the ball.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

He was picked before Wilson. As a third rounder given the team he didn't earn playing time.

He was considered a hard hitting aggressive run defender.

My guess is he didn't learn coverage responsibilities.

C
Legend
Legend
C

He was picked before Wilson. As a third rounder given the team he didn't earn playing time.

He was considered a hard hitting aggressive run defender.

My guess is he didn't learn coverage responsibilities.

I thought going into the season that Sione Takitaki was Joe Schobert’s backup and Mack Wilson was Christian Kirksey’s backup. I could be wrong. Kirksey got hurt so Wilson played.

My guess is that Takitaki is ends up playing a very different role for us this year than he did last year if he would have been on the field. I’m guessing he rushes the passer a bunch.

Legend
Legend

The game today is all about package matchups.

The guy they drafted is supposed to fit coverage and run support. The objective is a 3 down player.

However, it is possible that the Browns will use two guys based upon down and distance.

C
Legend
Legend
C

The game today is all about package matchups.

The guy they drafted is supposed to fit coverage and run support. The objective is a 3 down player.

However, it is possible that the Browns will use two guys based upon down and distance.

100%. Which is why I think they let Schubert walk. He’s average and coverage and was going to get paid more than they wanted to pay. They think they can create Schubert with different players that are all much cheaper than Schobert.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Maybe worth a Look, he is a 4-3 guy Not Patricia' s 3-4 scheme

Link Copied to Clipboard