Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I disagree, simply because probably one of the worst Olines (in terms of individual talent) just won a 'chip. Depending on what's around them, an average oline can take you a long way.

Is everyone missing the use of the modifier word "below"?

And it was a measure of collective performance, not individual talent.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: BpG
It's very possible I have recency bias but I was at the season finale, Carlos Dunlap was absolutely destroying our tackles. He had like 3 sacks, a TON of pressures and hits on the QB, blowing plays up in the backfield. Greg Robinson was absolute trash in that game and a lot of the season.

Edit: I think obviously the front office saw the same thing, as they signed a big money free agent tackle and drafted another one top 10.

I was at the same game, and saw the same thing... but there were a number of players that had mailed it in by then. Overall, I think the offensive line was ok. They had some real rough stretches, but as time went on it became clear that folks around them weren't making their lives easy. The offensive scheme put enormous pressure on them, and Baker was holding the ball and running around like a dummy. Baker was doing a better job as the season went on, and perhaps the scheme did adapt a little.

Put another way... I don't think the O-line was as bad as they looked, but for what was being asked of them, they needed to be better.

I think we are in agreement, in my post I said the biggest issue last season was the offensive scheme. Almost an entire year and it looked like VETERANS, ALL PRO players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing. That led to a lot of confusion and confusion at QB means holding the ball.

I think up the middle, it was solid....on the edges at tackle, it was no ok, it was a nightmare for most of the season. Only teams with bad edge rushers did it look alright.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Hammer
The problem is that it was below average.

I think focusing any discussion on only one aspect of the offense at any time is the problem. I think it's why there are so many threads that get bogged down fixating on one issue, when in reality there were multiple issues all influencing the offense and each having it's own negative knock on affect to the next item on the list. They all worked together to make each one aspect worse than it might have been by itself. Just off the top of my head and in no order of priority:

-There was a new offensive scheme
-The offensive scheme sucked.
-They apparently (often) called plays they did not practice.
-My memory says that early in the season we called a lot of pass plays that took a long time to develop.
-Freddie was trying to coach like we were the greatest show on turf (think of the Seattle game).
-Freddie was a horrible game manager.
-Baker was inaccurate compared to his rookie and college years.
-Baker started lost his pocket awareness and took off scrambling too often.
-The O Line was inconsistent at best
-The O Line had multiple new players and I doubt the same 5 started more than a 5 or 6 games together as the same group
-More than one team mentioned knowing what play was coming
-Our 'star' WR wasn't lining up where he was supposed to be
-Our star WR was injured
-Our star WR and other receivers (with the exception of JL) dropped catchable balls
-Our man-child athletic freak of a TE broke his wrist (game 2? Game 3?)

Put that all together and it's a crap fest.... and that's what we saw. Each unit & issue negatively impacted the play of the other units/issues. A perfect storm.

The awesome part of all that is we still had two 1000 yard receivers, we had a RB that should have won the rushing title, we have a QB going into his 3rd year who has traditionally played his best when the underdog.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/05/20 10:27 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
his 2019 season was not stellar at all.

Official nomination for understatement of the year award.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure how trying to explain away that the run blocking was far worse than the pass blocking changes anything. There's a big difference between 17th and 31st no matter how much one rants about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It doesn't change anything... they still sucked. smile

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the magnitude of the sucktitude. wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's the magnitude of the sucktitude. wink

TWSS laugh

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Top NFL talent under 25 ?

Figured this was as good a place to put this:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-the-top-25-players-under-the-age-of-25

4 Baltimore Ravens on the list.
2 Browns
2 Stelers
0 Bengals

On Chubb who I rate as highly as nearly any RB in the NFL other than maybe McCafrey:

14. RB NICK CHUBB, CLEVELAND BROWNS
Age at kickoff: 24 years, 8 months, 14 days
Since he was drafted in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft, no running back has graded out higher than Chubb as a rusher. In fact, his 92.1 rushing grade over the last two years is the only mark above 90.0. That mainly comes down to the fact that getting Chubb to the ground has been much easier said than done. His 110 missed tackles forced are more than any other player, and his 1,980 rushing yards after contact are fewer than only Derrick Henry. If you’re looking for a pure runner, there are few players in the league right now that I would take over Chubb.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I always scoff at the "Talent under 25" list. Young and talented really just means talented and inexperienced. The best teams are always chalk full of veterans.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
I always scoff at the "Talent under 25" list. Young and talented really just means talented and inexperienced. The best teams are always chalk full of veterans.

I disagree. Looking at that list - you can virtually build one side of the team (O or D) around any one of them. Did you look at the list? It is not a list of talent that hasn't done anything - quite the contrary.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think there are different arguments being made. I never once said that the OL was good. I said that I disagreed w/pass protection being the second largest concern after coaching. I think the run blocking was worse than the pass blocking. Analytics agrees.

I didn't insult anyone. I even clarified I was not insulting the poster and said it's interesting how we all watch the same games and have different take-aways. tab came on here and started making claims that I never said.

I have no problems w/different opinions, but I don't like people misrepresenting what I actually said. That crap happens far too often.

I never took it as a insult.

Just guys at the bar chewing fat.

I took a few comments as insults, but not yours.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hey Dawg Fans - Is Your Team Gonna Turn it Around this Year Finally -Freindly Who Dat Brother

Link Copied to Clipboard