Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Keenum has much more value to the Browns because of his familiarity with the offense that will be put in place by KS.

that only lasts about a month or two. after that, everyone is pretty much on the same page.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
P
Legend
Legend
P
Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have. The NFLPA contract limits the time coaches can work with players. It does not limit the time players can work together. This has been a tactic used around the league for quite a while now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We completely overpaid Case Keenum based on what Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton got paid. I understand why we signed him versus signing someone else but we gave him way too much money. Who else was trying to sign him? What was the rushing in signing him? If we let the market play out we could have signed Keenum for cheaper or have a better backup.

If Baker got hurt who would you rather have in the game, Keenum, Dalton, or Winston? I’m taking the other two before Keenum and it’s not close.

Hmmmm, I was thinking Keenum.

This is, objectively, the wrong answer.

I am thinking that is a subjective reply, and we agree on many issues

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just on the surface, complaining about how much we paid Keenum is kinda silly, imo.

When you go out to the store and buy something, and then that thing goes on sale a couple months later, is your buy a bad one? IMO, no. That's the way I see this, at least.

Winston going for bottom-dollar is shocking. I doubt anyone would have seen that coming. I'm also shocked he's not going somewhere to be the starter. Dalton, I'm not so surprised about. I also thought the Bengals were talking about keeping Dalton to help groom Burrow.

Then there's the proven experience (his big year in Stefanski's offense). He's proven he can ball when needed, but not to the extent where there's a QB controversy (which I think would happen if Winston came here). And lastly, there's familiarity with Stefanski's offense. This (along with the familiarity between him and KS) makes it a no-brainer.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t mind having Keenum on the team. I mind paying him the amount we paid him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I can understand that. While it turned out that we did overpay, I just don't think it's fair criticism. If they decided to go cheap and wait out the market then people would be on their butts for not getting a quality backup for Mayfield (this is the assumption that neither Winston or Dalton would've wanted to come here).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I can understand that. While it turned out that we did overpay, I just don't think it's fair criticism. If they decided to go cheap and wait out the market then people would be on their butts for not getting a quality backup for Mayfield (this is the assumption that neither Winston or Dalton would've wanted to come here).

Sort of my take - though I think we overpaid, I think it was considered a big enough area of need that we took that step early to be sure that we were covered. If we wait and try to pick up a good veteran who is a victim of the QB shuffle, there is great risk. Did we overpay to be sure that Keenum was a Brown at the time of the signing? Yes. Did the "market" for decent Veteran QB's tank due to cuts and the QB shuffle? Yes. But I don't judge the deal based on May 2020 info, got to judge it on March 24th when he signed the deal. 3 years $18 million. That's ok. I'd probably rather have Dalton, would not rather have Winston.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
We completely overpaid Case Keenum based on what Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton got paid. I understand why we signed him versus signing someone else but we gave him way too much money. Who else was trying to sign him? What was the rushing in signing him? If we let the market play out we could have signed Keenum for cheaper or have a better backup.

If Baker got hurt who would you rather have in the game, Keenum, Dalton, or Winston? I’m taking the other two before Keenum and it’s not close.

Hmmmm, I was thinking Keenum.

This is, objectively, the wrong answer.

I am thinking that is a subjective reply, and we agree on many issues

That was actually a “these guys can do no wrong reply” .... Case is little more than a career backup with 1/2 a good season under his belt with a whole lot of crap surrounding it ...

The ONLY thing Case brings is his familiarity with Kev ... I didn’t say Kev’s O cause Kev was at best his qb coach ...

I am glad we have case and am not hung up on what were paying him but to say you’d objectively choose him over Andy is a joke on a good day ... the only parallel in there careers is there both back ups now ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have. The NFLPA contract limits the time coaches can work with players. It does not limit the time players can work together. This has been a tactic used around the league for quite a while now.

Yeah, I agree. Except... all of their playbooks are on tablets now and supposedly are interactive. so it's not like it used to be where it was just a sheeet of paper. Now, they are animated. So, as a QB, this should be much easier for them.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Just curious ... when did Case play in Kev’s system? .. love to know that ...

Me thinks some of u are confusing Case playing on a team Kev coached on with case playing on a team that ran Kev’s system ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually think the case I'm making should have been more about familiarity than the actual system. What Stefanski knows is how quickly and easily Keenum can learn and process information. He knows him well enough to understand if he has the ability and leadership qualities to teach a much younger QB.

I'm not going to venture a guess as to whether Dalton or some of the other QB's fit that mold or not. But the fact is, with Stefanski not having worked with any of them, he had no way of knowing that either.

I think he took what he saw as the safe bet. Someone he knew could learn quickly. Who has the leadership qualities to play the mentor role. And we also have no way of knowing how closely the system he plans to implement is with the system that was being run when he was coaching Keenum.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
U may think u were making a case about familiarity but the post I responded to started with this”

Having someone who can help teach that system to others is a great weapon to have.

That has zero to with Kev’’s familiarity with Case but ACTUALLY SAYS Case can help teach Kev’’s system and thats a big advantage over dalton when its simply not true ...

U ACTUALLY think Kev ran something similar to Depo’s system .... rofl ... Zimmerman fired Depo and his pass pass pass O and last year Minni ran the crap out of the ball ... they very well may have gone from a bottom 5 run team as far as attempts in 18 to a top 5 team in 19 ..

Work on that math bro .... thumbsup

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Stefanski's offense is based off of Kubiak's system.

Keenum played for Kubiak's Houston teams between 2012 and 2013.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What Hammer said Bud. To do a math problem correctly you need to include all of the variables. wink

You're welcome and the lesson is free.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

This post is giving me flashbacks to right after we hired Freddie, and the conversations of how the offense was going to look.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D

So was that 4 or 5 systems ago since Case played in the system that the dude that Kev based his O on in? ... thank god for Case that Kubiak’s O hasn’t evolved much since then ... naughtydevil ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Don't forget "Kev" was his QB coach in 2017 when he went 11-3.

Between Keenum, Dalton and Winston, not all things are equal.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Right. Two of them are way more talented than the other and get paid a lot less.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Right. Two of them are way more talented than the other and get paid a lot less.

Two of them are biding their time before looking for another shot to start...one knows his place here AND knows the HC and his system...and could reasonably be here for a very long time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dalton Out In Cincy

Link Copied to Clipboard