Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I agree totally.

My take today is OTA's can be handled in some way. Not ideal but I think they can compensate.

Training camp. No. There has to be physical reps and all that goes into normal camp.

I am hopeful that testing can done. And the camps can be isolated. Film crews can cover them from a PR standpoint.

The season second weekend in September? Still to far out to speculate on how that will be handled.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Good thing for Larry Ogunjobi that the HGH factory is an essential business.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yowsers. I hope he's not on anything. Love Larry O.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Things have changed since the combine.

Legend
Legend
Larry's spent all of quarantine eating creatine.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Looks to me like Larry's been bingeing on bench presses and squats during the lockdown. Better than videos, beer, and Twinkies, no?

Dave #1761551 05/08/20 05:19 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dave
Looks to me like Larry's been bingeing on bench presses and squats during the lockdown. Better than videos, beer, and Twinkies, no?

IIRC, Larry was the guy that his doc in high school or something told him he was going to die of obesity (?). Decided to pick up football, and off he went.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah that’s him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jacked yes, but Larry also looks trim. Which is not such a great thing. I guess he’s got lots of time to beef up the old fashioned way.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I love the guy...but I think that bicep tear ended his NFL career. JMO

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Maybe it impacted him last season, but career over? Bit extreme, no?

Legend
OP Online
Legend

Shifting the thread slightly to teams overhyped this year.

The Bucs. I get Brady and Gronk. I believe Ariens is a good football coach. They also have Mike Evans and OJ Howard.

Who else?

On defense they gave up 28 points a game. Only three teams gave up more points.

Rushing offense 24th.

I have great respect for Brady. But he will be 43 years old August 3rd. Age beats everyone. He is on a new team in a new offense. Under a different coach. And the virus complicates preparation.

I am not feeling it with the Bucs.

No Hype. The Colts. 7th in rushing.

Rivers was added. He is 38. One of the smartest qb's in the game.

Not saying they will be great but I think Rivers will help this team.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Chris Godwin is one heck of a talent also ...

Evans/Godwin is right behind OBJ/VG as the best WR duo in the league ...

Your right .. there gonna have to outscore everyone ... the D stunk last year and they lost the great Carl Nassib .. rofl

C
Legend
Legend
C
The advanced stats loved Tampa Bay’s defense last year. It ranked third in DVOA.

Defense is also highly fungible from year to year so who knows how they’ll play this year.

Legend
Legend
The combo of Evans/Godwin is very good ... top 3-5 corp in the league for sure.

I also think the Saints with Sanders is a big upgrade for them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I love(d) Sanders ... not sure how much he has left .... if he’s still close to what he used to be .... that duo would be just slightly below the other two groups we mentioned IMO ...

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bucs D is better than their stats.

D-line: Suh, Vea, Pierre-Paul, and Shaq Barrett.
LBs: Lavonte David and D. White

Secondary is their weak link, although drafting Winfield will help there.

Offense should be pretty good with those WRs and TEs. RB is somewhat weak. Oline should be improved with Wirfs.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'll start out by saying that I hope I am wrong about that. I like the guy on and off the field.

That said, I've read a lot and seen enough video (by guys like Jake Burns) that paint him as being too slow to be a penetrator and not heavy enough to be an anchor. He needs to get stronger as that is more attainable than getting "faster/quicker". I'm afraid that bicep injury may prevent him from gaining the strength that he appears to gain.

FWIW, those video breakdowns include an awful lot of situations where he completely missed his assignment or fit. I won't try to elaborate because I'm not the X/O guy that many others are here...but I've read that critique enough - and from guys whose opinion I respect - to know that it might have legs.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. Tampa Bays defense had to overcome 30 INT,s by Winston, that will really kill your stats. I believe they were good against the run.

I really like Larry O, But he does seem to disappear for long stretches in games. He makes some splash plays then ffft, gone. I not sure if it is a non existant rotation thing or what. Dudes seem to get in great shape in contract years.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, Larry O regressed last year ... there was a stretch in 2018 when he was pretty darn good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend

I don't watch TB other than highlights. So, I don't profess I know their team.

I expect Brady to be safe with the ball so their turnovers should go way down.

But football is a team game 53 man roster. Everyone has to contribute.

Brady at 43 will be in a new offense. I am not certain about their OL. They don't have a premier runner. I know they drafted Wirfs. But he is a rookie.

I just don't think that Brady is going to waltz in there and take them somewhere special.

They are listed 7th in power rankings?? Really?

IMO I think they are overrated.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Evans and Godwin are excellent. Also, TB's defense played very well over the last third of the season. Like Hammer said, they were put in some awful situations.

Legend
Legend
I do question how Arians will tailor his system to Brady ... Winston’s down the field game kinda matched Arians’ philosophy, and Evans/Godwin were excellent in that role.

Brady is more of a ball control guy at this point ... interested to see what their O looks like

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Good thing for Larry Ogunjobi that the HGH factory is an essential business.

What an unintelligent comment.

Guy is ripped = Oh well he must be on HGH.

Do you also think that coronavirus is caused by 5G and chemtrails are real?

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I'll start out by saying that I hope I am wrong about that. I like the guy on and off the field.

That said, I've read a lot and seen enough video (by guys like Jake Burns) that paint him as being too slow to be a penetrator and not heavy enough to be an anchor. He needs to get stronger as that is more attainable than getting "faster/quicker". I'm afraid that bicep injury may prevent him from gaining the strength that he appears to gain.

FWIW, those video breakdowns include an awful lot of situations where he completely missed his assignment or fit. I won't try to elaborate because I'm not the X/O guy that many others are here...but I've read that critique enough - and from guys whose opinion I respect - to know that it might have legs.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Ogunjobi. I went so far as to find some analysis from Jake Burns. It happened to be from the end of the 2018 season. Perhaps Burns did have a 180° turn by the end of the 2019 season but that seems farfetched. I didn't find anything from 2019 from Burns that came close to what you describe. That doesn't mean it's not out there though. This 2018 analysis clearly points to Larry's quickness, 1-gaping ability and mobility. It does hint at the fact that he played too many reps.

It's a podcast. I don't know if podcasts can be copied into Dawgtalkers. So here is the link.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/jak...man-next-season

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not going to say the guy is on some type of enhancement. I don't know.

I do know that a normal body has some fat. We aren't supposed to be fat free beings.

I think that is the problem with a lot of these guys. They get their muscles as taught as piano strings and don't have any natural elasticity remaining. They need to find some kind of balance.

Fat isn't a bad thing if you aren't carrying 50 lbs of it. I think it perfectly normal for a man to carry 10-15 lbs around his gut and a woman to carry 10-15 around her hips.

It's no secret here. Just look around. Guys have bigger bellies and women have bigger butts. It's been that way for eons.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend

You are right except that applies to regular people not world class athletes.

When you look at the scientific training methods and the diets that are designed for athletes to eat. It is a different world that they live in.

Today most people live sedentary lives. Some make a point to exercise and they join a gym or do some self training.

They don't scratch the surface of what pros go through.

Michael Phelps once said he ate 12,000 calories a day. He later cleared that up and said that was peak when he was still growing. Normal was 8k to 10k.

This breakdown on Active.com of what cyclists eat to ingest 8,000 calories. It included what that many calories looks like in a hypothetical diet:

22 eggs for breakfast

3 cereal bars

14 20 oz. bottles of sports drink

4 cups of rice

2 cups of granola with fruit

8 chicken breasts

4 bananas

That’s how much you’d have to eat to get to 8,000. So although it turns out that Phelps didn’t house 12,000 a day, he was still scarfing down tons.

Watch a Myles workout. No regular person could dream that.

Back in the day when professional football players had regular jobs in the off season. It was way different.

The money, the level of competition, the pressure to compete and stay in the game.

Eventually it led to PED's in every sport. And even with today's testing guys still try to beat the system.

Those drugs do what? They help them train even harder. Push further and add more muscle.

The speed and power in today's game of football is astonishing. If you are not ready to train at that level; someone else is. And they will take your job.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not going declare definitely whether I think he’s juicing or not, I don’t know, but getting super ripped to the point where you can see the striated muscle fiber through the skin usually says juice but some humans indeed have a much more dynamically responsive bodies than others. I’ve gone through periods of aggressively lifting 4 days a week with dieting and moderate cardio years and I didn’t get nearly that visibly ripped. But my lineage doesn’t suggest it’s very likely either. And to be honest, I don’t want to be that vascular and vacuum packed anyway.

As far as fat goes... if you watch those strong man competitions those guys are never ripped looking. Weight = power. I learned this as a heavy weight wrestler all the way through middle and high school and one year on the team in college. Guys could look down right obese but if they knew how to use it they were much more lethal than the guys who were significantly lighter and more fit looking. I was always a relatively small heavy weight (back in the 80’s when the weight class meant everyone above 190lbs with no top limit) and it was a much more dangerous match against the humongous guys who actually knew what they were doing. They just had way more power and leverage at their disposal that you had to mind. I don’t think it’s a mistake that coaches want a big a$$ in the middle of the D line, not a body builder. Being fast and nimble is great for a lot of things but pure power and leverage matters most in that phone booth. I personally hope he’s tipping 300 again by the time the season opens (if it opens). He definitely doesn’t look it here.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 05/10/20 08:57 AM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
You can easily get that ripped without juicing. It is purely a function of your diet.

Eat low carb, high protein/fat and run a slight calorie deficit.

In short: Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

Follow the Zone Diet as your new way of living and you will be cut like you've never thought possible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

At this time of year the Super Bowl odds come out and Power Rankings.

I begin a slow burn. I can not help myself. I begin to hate teams. I want to take them down.

Ben will be back. No more "Duck" and Rudolph. It just makes me want to destroy that team. The Ravens. I want a square hit to be had on Lamar. Want to intimidate that team in week one. The Cowgirls. The most over hyped team of all time. I love it when they fail.

The Patsy's, sick of that team. Like to see them finish last.

Other teams like the Saints. For whatever reason I don't know I just can't hate them. I respect Brees and Payton.

The Packers. I get the love affair of a team owned by their fans. I have always liked their uniforms. Was a big Farve fan and now Rodgers fan. So I only hate those teams when we play them.

It's personal inside the North.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Ogunjobi. I went so far as to find some analysis from Jake Burns. It happened to be from the end of the 2018 season. Perhaps Burns did have a 180° turn by the end of the 2019 season but that seems farfetched. I didn't find anything from 2019 from Burns that came close to what you describe. That doesn't mean it's not out there though. This 2018 analysis clearly points to Larry's quickness, 1-gaping ability and mobility. It does hint at the fact that he played too many reps.

It's a podcast. I don't know if podcasts can be copied into Dawgtalkers. So here is the link.

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/jak...man-next-season

Good stuff there. I'll add this to that:

I also seem to remember reading (earlier in his career) that Ogunjobi was a good fit as a penetrating 3T due to his athleticism...and then later I would read that he is too-slow-and-not-big-enough. I certainly don't know. I also recollect seeing him make some rather (impressive) athletic plays for a guy his size.

I have a similar recollection as to Shobert's "reported" athleticism over the years. I'd read that he was a very good athlete (and maybe even saw a video of him dunking a basketball?), and then later read that he was limited due to his athleticism. Again, I certainly don't know. I do not recollect "seeing" Joe as having limited athleticism.

(Note: When I said "guys like Jake Burns" I should have been more clear in that my Ogunjobi recollection(s) as being from a source(s) that I respected as I do Jake Burns. Not that those recollections were necessarily from comments by Jake himself. My apologies if that came off as misleading.)

Legend
Legend
That list is an eye popper! Thanks for putting those up. Some crazy amounts of work, more than I can do anymore.

Is this food mix effective without extreme exercise? I just found this to be really thought provoking. Or is this an elites only cross section? I found this interesting.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My observation: in that IG post he was caught in a split second in the middle of a drill. He wasn't "flexing" instead we saw muscle contraction necessary to complete the drill. If you're lean it's visible.

Regarding body-types and the modern interior D-line player, there is more emphasis on these players' lateral movement skills. When you think about defending spread and zone schemes, this makes a lot of sense. In the podcast I included with a recent post, Jake Burns made this point better than I can do here.

Of course, these guys vary in physical dimensions but their body composistion does factor into their play so that they can be stout when needed and they can penetrate or move laterally along the line of scrimmage.

Think Aaron Donald, Grady Jarret, Ed Oliver, our own Larry O and other young players like, Quinnen Williams and Kinlaw ( who is very lean for a plus 300 lbs player). Jordan Elliot probably belongs in this category too.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/10/20 01:14 PM. Reason: changed size to body compositon for clarity.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Well said.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
My observation: in that IG post he was caught in a split second in the middle of a drill. He wasn't "flexing" instead we saw muscle contraction necessary to complete the drill. If you're lean it's visible.

Regarding body-types and the modern interior D-line player, there is more emphasis on these players' lateral movement skills. When you think about defending spread and zone schemes, this makes a lot of sense. In the podcast I included with a recent post, Jake Burns made this point better than I can do here.

Of course, these guys vary in physical dimensions but their body composistion does factor into their play so that they can be stout when needed and they can penetrate or move laterally along the line of scrimmage.

Think Aaron Donald, Grady Jarret, Ed Oliver, our own Larry O and other young players like, Quinnen Williams and Kinlaw ( who is very lean for a plus 300 lbs player). Jordan Elliot probably belongs in this category too.

Do you have an opinion/assessment of our new Jordan Elliot?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he was among the top 10 IDL players available in this draft. The biggest knock I hear about him is that he wasn't as consistent or productive as some of the other IDL in this draft. I understand that he didn't start the full 2018 season but he began to show up for Mizzou late in the year. He became a starter in 2019 and had a very solid year.

From what I've seen, he can push the pocket. He doesn't necessarily win early in the rep but he continues to work. I"ve seen him use a bull rush to do this. He is also able to get off blocks inside and make plays. He has a punch, arm extension, and a pretty good swim move. He is not a plodder. He has the footwork to make sudden moves inside to get leverage and win against blockers to his spot. He shows some ability to chase down plays from the backside. When he's engaged with a blocker he has shown the ability to reach out with one arm and stop a runner in his gap. He has a high motor which can stay revved up because we should have a good rotation to keep everybody fresh.

Needless to say, I'm high on him and just keep my fingers crossed that what I've seen is real.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hype and No Hype

Link Copied to Clipboard