Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

This is all conjecture on my part let's get that out of the way.
Based on the strengths of our defensive players I see our DL doing quite a bit of one gap penetration. I envision Goodson, Phillips, or Takitaki being expected to make their run fits. Bsed on what we know about our LB corp their production in defending the run will be vital. Mack appears to have the most coverage ability at this time. So in obvious passing situations, I think it's probable that Mack stays on the field in a sub-package with one of the other linebackers who is the least vulnerable in pass coverage and maybe they go nickle with Kevin Johson or they line up in a dime with Johson and Sendejo. Something along those lines.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Exactly. I just saw a way too early mock from 2020 and it had Delpit 6th overall and DPJ 22nd overall.

Now that is amazing!

I'm curious: about how many guys actually went in the neighborhood of where this draft pegged them?

Did Delpit and DPJ really drop off that much in play in 2019?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Exactly. I just saw a way too early mock from 2020 and it had Delpit 6th overall and DPJ 22nd overall.

Now that is amazing!

I'm curious: about how many guys actually went in the neighborhood of where this draft pegged them?

Here's the link to the mock. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833...rly-predictions

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Now that is amazing!

Here's the link to the mock. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833...rly-predictions

Woah... talk about how the tides have turned for a lot of these guys.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend

Studying Jacob Phillips' LSU tape to get a feel for how he found success playing alongside Patrick Queen. How his attacking nature can help his game but it must be controlled, and his ability to play in space with success defining his career.

For more deep-dive analysis, join us at TheOBR where Phillips' Film Room recently posted tracking the All-22 through his Junior season and has an abundance of clips providing more insights on his current level of ability.

READ PHILLIPS' FILM ROOM: https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Phillips is a tackling machine something we desperately needed ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Phillips is a tackling machine something we desperately needed ...

Taki is a tackling machine as well.. Should be an interesting competition to see who starts next to Mack.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I got the sense Taki was kind of unpolished, but played with energy ... he overran some plays and stuff, but had urgency to do something ... which we need

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When Taki was in the game, he made very few plays but the defense as a whole played with more intensity resulting in a better outcome.

Numerous times I saw the defense playing well and didn't notice that Taki was in the game until he was replaced. Then immediately the defensive play went down considerably.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I got the sense Taki was kind of unpolished, but played with energy ... he overran some plays and stuff, but had urgency to do something ... which we need

Unpolished? Yes,
He only played one full season @ LB in college.

I see him and SS Joseph as our tone setters.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Unpolished? Yes,
He only played one full season @ LB in college.

I see him and SS Joseph as our tone setters.
yeah his future could be at that hybrid position ... good point

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Takitaki and Wilson have great motors but tend to overrun plays. I think with a little more coaching and experience they both can make a significant jump. Phillips and Goodson don't miss tackles but don't really have the ability to make huge impact plays.

I wonder if we have more of a 4 man rotation with these guys throughout the year depending on the down and distance situation.

Takitaki and Phillips are good vs. the run but not so much in coverage.

Wilson didn't grade well in coverage but he was really close on a lot of plays last year. Goodson is decent in coverage and has a strong pass rush.

I could see us playing Takitaki / Phillips on obvious running plays and Wilson and Goodson on obvious passing plays.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I disagree about Phillips. He is a sideline to sideline LB and hustles all over the field. That is a definition of a guy that can make impact plays.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 05/13/20 06:42 PM.
Legend
Legend
What, in Goodson's history, tells you that he is decent in coverage and as a pass rusher?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
What, in Goodson's history, tells you that he is decent in coverage and as a pass rusher?

Thats what I was wondering.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I disagree about Phillips. He is a sideline to sideline LB and hustles all over the field. That is a definition of a guy that can make impact plays.

I said huge impact plays. Phillips isn't an athletic freak but is solid across the board. I think he will be used to fill gaps and keep contain.

Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

According to PFF, Goodson (64.8) graded close to Shoebert (67.6) last year in coverage.

Goodson (71.5) was also much better rushing the passer than Shoebert (62.3).

His overall rating was higher as well.

Some clips of BJ rushing the passer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3XV9PX7zc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egktpntbqwc

Legend
Legend
How many pass coverage snaps did he get compared to Schobert?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Shoebert had 553 and Goodson had 96.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Rather than look at what Goodson did last year with such limited snaps when compared to Schobert go back and look at Goodson's numbers in 2018 and 2017.

2018 PFF Grades

Coverage = 59.2 in 210 snaps
Pass Rush = 66.2 in 37 snaps

2017 PFF Grades

Coverage = 42.6 in 210 snaps
Pass Rush = 48.6 in 30 snaps

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
More evidence Goodson is here just as a rotational piece.

I think we end up having more looks with 3 safeties (Joseph, Delpit, Sendejo) and 1 LB (Wilson).

It is clear we still need a LB who can cover.

Legend
Legend
Wilson is our 'cover' LB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Goodson is here for some veteran leadership.
He is not the straw that will stir the drink. He will provide some quality reps but I think not as a starter. He should be a plus in the LB room as noted showing the youngsters how to be a Pro. What I liked from Goodson is that he improved each year. That is all you can ask from these Pros is to get better each year. If they do not, they are NOT FOR LONG...

Again I cannot stress enough the importance of our DL to set the tone for the entire Defense. As they go so do our LB and then 3rd tier the DBs.

All will be better players as long as the DL excels. We have been a 3-4 Defense in most of our history of the last 3-4 decades so that most of us have grown use to LBs being our Impact players. They are pawns in the 4-3 or pretty much 4-2, 5-2 defense we will run. We got studs up front on our DL.
I know I'm biased and am proud to be a HOMER but I think we have one of the best DL's in the NFL!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Wilson is our 'cover' LB.

I know PFF's LB stats are very flawed but Wilson only had a 44.1 rating in coverage for 455 snaps.

I could see his style working with Phillips if he is supported by strong D-line and secondary play.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think Wilson was learning on the fly last year. I think with time and preparation, he is going to show to be good.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I think Wilson was learning on the fly last year. I think with time and preparation, he is going to show to be good.
that would be nice ... I’m skeptical of our LBs (like everyone) simply because we don’t have much proven there

D
Legend
Legend
D
EXCEPT ME ... *L* ...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think Jacob is going to be an excellent LB. He has the physical tools, is a good tackler, hustles and has a good attitude. He came from a winning program and I'm sure he wants that at this level. JMO

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jacob Phillips with the 97th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard