Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Maybe some of you have witnessed friends on Facebook posting albums that had an impact on their lives. I challenge all of you to do that here.

1. Find the album art and share it.

2. Give a few blurbs as to why. (the facebook challenge says not to do that, but I'm always curious as to why people like the music they do.)

3. Do it in any order that you'd like. This isn't a ranking of which one was the most impactful, but do that if you'd like.

Anyhow....
----------------

-This album sat in my '96 Chevy Cavalier from 2006 till 2008. I listened to it in full at least once a month that entire time period.
-The soaring vocals of Delp and complicated layered riffs Scholz really helped me delight in the wonder of pure Arena rock.
-Provided a great soundscape as I came of age during high school.

-This band finally popped onto my radar during my years at the University of Toledo, and it coincided at just about the time I started posting here.
-I started to analyze things much more deeper, perhaps more than I needed to, and the layers that Gilmour and Walters compressed together on this album kept me busy in my mind.
-This became my gateway to concept albums and eventually the blues due to Gilmour's guitar solo work.

-I was around 10-11 years old when this album hit my social circle. It changed everything for me. I started to look into different forms of rap I liked, tried to find more edgier rock which helped me discover punk, and gave me another interest to obsess over.
-It was a period of life when I was wrestling with hypocrisy inside my private Lutheran school, trying to make sense of my own father and the demons of his past, and looking for some sort of music to call my own.
-Linkin Park ended up being the first band I went on my own to see in concert without parents four years after this album released.

-One of the best things my wife has done for me is introduce this album to me. She sparked another hobby and interest of mine in musical theater thanks to this album.
-Lin-Manuel Miranda does a fantastic job of weaving history, stage craft, rhymes, and catchy melodies together in crafting such a thought provoking two hour piece of music.
-Gave me a great soundtrack for my late 20s and into my early 30s to refer to in times of need.

Everything Went Numb by Streetlight Manifesto
-in 2005 I finally found a really cool way someone could play trombone other than typical marching band, jazz band, or concert band type things.
-This catapulted me to become better in marching band.
-Ska almost made me consider trying to be a music educator, not a knock on you Clem at all, but the daunting task of learning all the instruments and a lack of job security chased me away.

-My mom met my step-dad a few months after my parents split. I remember riding with him in his '94 two door maroon Monte Carlo with the sun roof open on a cool and humid summer evening, after we spent time discussing video games and wrestling, and he tells me "rocket, I'm going to play you something. You might not like it, and that's okay. Just tell me to stop if its too much." I immediately hear a thumping bass drum, some whiny guitars, and then the chugging main riff hits. I was sold.
-As I grew older, I started looking more into classic rock.
-I credit my step-dad for a large portion of my music taste.

-So I always knew of this album. This was mainly because as a Language Arts teacher I knew she butchered the idea of irony, and I used it quite often in class to show non-examples of irony.
-I had a weird identity crisis the summer of 2015 and I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. Part of me felt the pull back to Ohio, and another part of me felt the pull to stay in Alaska. I came across more and more Alanis on one of my Pandora stations I listened to that summer. I walked close to 30 miles every week that summer, and this album helped me keep my head clear.
- The line "s that no one's really got it figured out just yet." became my mantra for the summer. I kept re-evaluating and I credit some of my decisions in life to this album.

-In high school I played trombone, and this also meant I'd be in jazz band. I knew I liked jazz music, I enjoyed playing it, and towards the end of high school I discovered the blues scale. Unfortunately I discovered it a little too late frown
-At the University of Toledo I took a history of jazz course as an elective, and I felt I needed to learn more.
-One day we listened to the opening track "So What" and everything finally clicked. The following weeks I dove deeper into Miles, discovered "Jean Pierre", listened to a cool cat named Marcus Miller, and really got into Dave Brubeck.
-I also had my first serious date in my life at a jazz club, partially due to my love of this album, and accidentally ended up at a cemetery in the inner-city of Toledo rather than Murphy's Jazz Club. Don't worry, we quickly made it to Murphy's after I reached the dead end.

-The first song I remember ever being played, along with being hooked, was "Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus, but the first ever album that I loved was The Hits by Hal Ketchum.
-I realize this is a greatest hits compilation, but it truly sparked my love of music at age 3. There's something to his voice, his guitar work, and the overall atmosphere of his songs that truly resonate with me going on 3 decades. He's an unsung hero of country music.
-This hits compilation was played a ton on cassette as we took family trips on the weekend mornings out to Geauga Lake. Soo many good memories are associated with this album and late 80s to mid 90s country music. Hal Ketchum along with other neo-classical country artists became a staple road trips albums for me in my life, and they still gets play today. My wife now associates many 90s country acts with road trips we ourselves take.

-I sort of gave up on new country music after listening to Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, and Zac Brown Band. I got tired of pop bands masquerading as country acts because they had a banjo or a bit of southern twang. Then Florida Georgia Line happened...
-By chance, I found a site named Saving Country Music, and the website talked about Sturgill Simpson with tons of high praise. I gave his album a shot, and the title track pulled me in.
-I realized with this album there's an entire untapped market of truly authentic country music that won't ever get played on the radio, and I have discovered soo much more great music thanks to this album.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ahhh the Boston album. I remember spinning that thing brand new in a hot bedroom as summer waned in the Bicentennial year of 76!

Toss in Van Halens first record which warmed up the winter of 78 I think. Still may be my favorite of all time along with Dark Side of the Moon. Still listening to both!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am impressed you have Hal Ketchum on the list...Sturgill as well. I never viewed you as someone who liked country.

Mama knows the Highway...solid levels of sound....solid guitar, mandolin, and resonator licks...plus a cool drumbeat.. Great song.

I will add mine later.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I got into rock at the age of 12 when I
saw Grand Funk on "In Concert". I stayed on the heavy side as I aged and still get into hard rock/metal today. I focused on the really good guitar and bass players. Here are the albums that I feel had a big impact on my musical tastes.

Grand Funk Live
Deep Purple Machine Head
Alice Cooper Killer
Led Zeppelin iv
Black Sabbath Master of Reality
Neil Young Harvest
Jim Hendrix Are You Experienced
Judas Priest Killing Machine
Jesus Christ Superstar
Aerosmith Get Your Wings
The Who Quadrophenia
Queen Sheer Heart Attack
Lynyrd Skynyrd Live
Rush 2112
UFO Lights Out
Robin Trower For Earth Below
Ted Nugent Ted Nugent
Van Halen 1
Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood

Almost forgot.....I had a few albums with Stanley Clark and Jaco Pastorius that just blew me away. I loved listening to great bass players....these guys, Entwistle,Squire, etc.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Growing up in the 60s,70s, and 80s there are so many the list would be miles long. Throw in the 90s that people my age were still socially relevant during and it really covers the greatest years of music in the US IMHO.

I mean I guess every generation thinks that but we lived young lives during the sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll era. We had music legends creating music most of my younger life. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. I could spend all day making a list and still think of new additions for weeks to come because so many influenced us.

And this doesn't even scratch the surface of my love of blues that would only ad another layer and many more names. I don't even really care for country or pop that much but there were plenty of them that influenced our lives too. smh This is why I avoided this thing on FB.

So I'm going to drop a few less well known albums on you:

One of those albums where every song is musical goodness. Well worth the listen. Love Hurts was my coming of age bad break up song. smh And probably the weakest song on the album.

Was a fan of the Allman brothers after hearing 'whipping post' in the early 70s. They put out a ton of albums and hits; but in the mid 90s they dropped this one and the song soulshine became on of my favorites... I think it just fit what I needed to hear at the time. Later I had people tell me it had religious undertones but I never took it that way... that would have turned me off to it.

Early days of Motley Crue, I was stationed in San Diego and a girl I was seeing got me this right after they dropped their third album, theatre of pain. I had no idea what they were going through as a band, but couldn't believe the band that sang "smokin' in the boys room" put out what appeared to be a satanic album two years earlier... turns out it was just music. I think they were inspired by Ozzy.

Gets overlooked because it's more like a greatest hits album than a fresh drop and luckily they included 'ride on' from their dirty deeds album that I never owned. Ride on is another song that meshed with how I was feeling when I was sick of single life and thinking about finding a good woman to settle down with... that and it sounded really cool cranked up in my convertible canary yellow customized 69 stingray corvette (the only vanity car I ever bought).

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not trying to derail your thread but Chevy stopped making the Monet Carlo in 1988 and it was replaced with the Lumina. Just sayin'. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Steely Dan - Aja

Pink Floyd - More

Led Zeppelin - III

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
RE:Peen

Quote:
I am impressed you have Hal Ketchum on the list...Sturgill as well.

I love authentic country music. Randy Travis, Don Williams (another artist we share a love for), Jo Dee Messina, Dixie Chicks, Josh Turner, Shania (although she pushes that pop-country boundary), Brooks & Dunn, Garth, Alan Jackson, and George Strait find home on my iPhone still to this day. I have at least one album from each of those artist on my phone and they still get regular play. I took a couple of road trips the summer of 2016 and all of these artists blasted from my car speakers as I drove on the highway.

Some of the new artists I really love are Sara Shooks, Jason Isbell, Dalton Domino, Jon Pardi, Cody Jinks, Chris Stapleton, and Mo Pitney.

I think what I really enjoy about a lot of these country artists is the sing-along quality to their music. Good melodies, interesting stories, and hits me right where it needs to in my soul.

Good music is good music. A young liberal dude apprecaites all forms of art smile

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Not trying to derail your thread but Chevy stopped making the Monet Carlo in 1988 and it was replaced with the Lumina. Just sayin'. wink

You made me look that up!

It was a 93 monte carlo coupe that had the body shape of the Lumina.

Legend
Legend
2 that come to mind are:

Night Ranger: Dawn Patrol and April Wine: Nature of the beast.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Derek and the Dominos (Eric Clapton) "Layla"

Jethro Tull "Aqualung"

The Allman Brothers "Beginnings"

Rod Stewart "Every Picture Tells A Story"

Eagles "Desperado"

Steely Dan "The Royal Scam"

Chicago "Chicago Transit Authority"

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Dave

Excellent choice.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Originally Posted By: Dave

Excellent choice.

It sounds much better now on vinyl than it did with the 8-track "rumble" it had when I first bought it, LOL.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good thread topic.

I have been influenced by certain albums at different points in my life. Some more than others. Instead of listing them all, I will try and add just one at a time. I think that sometimes it's harder for other readers to digest a ton of stimuli at one time.

I think most folks already know the album that had the biggest influence on me as a person. But, I will tease you a bit and say that this particular album spoke to me on many levels. There were songs about political conflict, wealth, and mental illness. The album addressed the trying transition of the early 70s as it moved beyond the idealism of the 60s. The massive changes of the 60s led to a lot of reflective thinking in the 70s. Some of our discoveries led to a bit of morose thinking and certainly made many of us more skeptical and cynical in our worldly views. The tone of this album captured those feeling brilliantly.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, the music was so far removed from what everyone else was doing. The use of silence was huge. Haunting instrumental pieces. Slow, but purposeful building of the music. No rush, folks. No "look at me." Just four dudes in tee shirts and jeans w/way-before-their time videos playing behind the songs that matched perfectly.

I remember trippin' to this album. Time would come on again and we would all be like........"Man, has it played already?" But, no one made a move to change the record.

So, you probably have guessed it by now.......but, in case you're "square," the album is:

B
Legend
Legend
B
Pretty good play list Dave. I approve. I just don't want to add in images.....more work that I feel.

I really like Jethro Tull.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'll add one. Ziggy Stardust.

Another...Rubber Soul

Smoke over Water

I am just sticking to rock since that is what most of you like, I won't even go country, which is what I like best

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Post what you like. It's a subjective topic. The great thing is that that so many of us love different types of music. What you like speaks to your identity. Nothing wrong w/that.

Legend
Legend

My fav-all time group. Love Zeppelin.

I couldn't believe how heavy and doomsday-ish Black Sabbath was when I first heard them, I never heard music like this before. I was used to hearing music on WIXY 1260.... Songs like "Everybody knows it's windy." Black Sabbath filled me with testosterone.

My fav Zeppelin album.

Great guitar riffing, awesome vocals with a devilish groove. Judas Priest really came alive on this album.

I first heard Metallica when I moved to Hollywood California. It was amazing, like Black Sabbath on 78.

I first heard Pantera on an MTV bumper (is that the right word?), they showed a train crashing with Phil yelling 'hostile' over it. I was like, "Who is that?" Pantera is the one band I still listen to do this day, everything else I'm sick of, it's already in my DNA. P.S. My band I was in a long time ago (Temporary Insanity) played with Pantera at Gazzarri's, before they made it big.

Nirvana changed the Hollywood rock scene. It was all glam for a long time, with every band trying to be the new Poison. When this album came out? It went from hair 'metal' (it's not metal) to grunge in a matter of weeks. I never saw anything like it in my life. Thank God for grunge.

I love AIC. Great vocals/vocal harmonies. Layne is probably my fav all-time singer. R.I.P.

Last edited by 3rd_and_20; 05/21/20 09:47 PM.
Legend
Legend
Two thumbs up to every album mentioned. Good stuff! thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
The album that deformed me wasn't music.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We're you an inmate there?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Blackfoot makes my truck go too fast.

Legend
Legend
Which year wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Tennessee Ernie Ford... Hymns

I grew up in a church going family. At least the two weekends a month I spent at my dad’s. Sunday morning before church dad played old time gospel music on the stereo. Tennessee Ernie Ford, or The Browns we’re the typical background music to breakfast before we’d head off to Sunday morning service. I think listening to music from previous generations early on in my life set me up for a general quest to want to know more about influences on modern music.

CSNY... So Far

My dad dug vocal harmonies. The Everly Brothers were my indoctrination into that realm, but when I first heard CSNY it struck a cord. Their vocal skills still amazes me to this day.

Pink Floyd... The Wall

This was the first rock album I can remember being fascinated by. I was 7 years old and even then knew this was different. Dad’s record collection was filled with great albums from Heart, and ELO, to Michael Jackson, and Sly and the Family Stone, but something about the Wall just peaked my curiosity more. It was the first album my dad recorded to cassette so I could listen to it anytime I wanted.

Billboard’s Hits 1957 (1988)

I hated the music of my high school era. Or at least much of it. Poison, Ratt, Motely Crue... soulless music in my view. To each their own, but bleh. So when hair metal reigned I dove back in time and dug at the roots of American rock. I ‘found’ Buddy Holly and it sent me down a path towards a love for the 50’s. I ended up owning the Billboard cassettes for every year from ‘54 (the first true rock and roll hit, Rock Around the Clock, by Bill Haley and the Comets) through to ‘59. This exploration was built on my earlier listening if 1940-50’s gospel. It also opened my mind for later in life finds.

Gordon Lightfoot... Gord’s Gold

My dad was a big Lightfoot fan. This album became the backbone for our yearly car trips to vacation in Florida at my grandparent’s home. Dad would drive all night. I always tried to stay up with him as his copilot. He’d play this album. Gordon told stories, as folk singers do. It gave me an appreciation for storytellers. Again something that’d carry me through to later finds.

Jane’s Addiction... Nothing Shocking

As I’ve said, much of the music I endured in my high school years sucked in my mind. This album came out in ‘88. I didn’t find it until just after I graduated in ‘90. Finding it just before grunge took over. It was this album that made me realize there was hope for rock music after all. A short time later Pearl Jam’s Ten was released. Everything changed.

Grateful Dead... Europe ‘72

I had heard the Grateful Dead for a few years. I had even seen a show or two. Passive spectator. Then one summer a buddy I had just come to know lent me this album. Jack Straw hooked me. It came back to songwriters telling interesting stories, ala Gordon Lightfoot. Only this time there was something else... an amazing group of people that toured and celebrated together. The bus went by and I got on, that’s where it all began...

Old and in the Way... High Lonesome Sound

I knew I liked the banjo. I knew I liked Jerry Garcia. This was the chocolate meets peanut butter album that opened my mind to bluegrass.

Widespread Panic Light Fuse, Get Away

Jerry died in ‘95. Broke my heart. The storyteller sang no more. I tried Phish on for a few shows but found them lacking in lyrical depth. I had been introduced to Panic by a friend but struggled to find my way with them. A little grittier, a little darker than the Dead. I saw them a couple times at the Newport Music Hall. Then around 1999 a buddy burned me a copy of this album. I started listening and picking out the bass parts at first... “man this dude can play”... then slowly the lyrics crept in. Ah ha! A storyteller! I spent from ‘99-‘02 seeing Panic as much as I could. Which was often! Their lead guitarist, Michael Houser, died of pancreatic cancer in ‘02. They play on with others on the ax but it’s not the same for me. Panic will always be Mikey’s.

Pretty Lights... Making Up a Changing Mind

Electronic music had been around forever it seemed. I struggled finding what I liked in it. I’d hear a track here and there that’d catch my ear but never found a DJ, or understood enough to search out the sound that I liked. Then Pretty Lights came around. I found his music at a time of real sadness and fear of the unknown... divorce. There was a sadness and yet hope in his work. It really resonated with me. Since discovering him I’ve gone on to a bigger understanding of electronic music and have found many more DJs of various types that speak to me musically.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
What’s interesting is only one of these albums falls into my ‘favorite albums of all times’ category. Light a Fuse, Get Away.
I don’t listen to hymns anymore. Though I did listen to some when researching for this thread.
I prefer Pink Floyd’s Meddle, Animals, and even Division Bell over The Wall.
I prefer CSN’s self titled album. The one with the photo of them of the couch in front of a house.
I prefer Without a Net, Workingman’s Dead, and Live Dead over Europe 72.
And Pretty Lights’, Filling up the City Skies, is his best work. Beautifully crafted.

Those that I listed for the topic were just the stepping stone albums either for a band, or for a genre of music.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

This album is a little off the wall as far as main stream. But it was the album that launched reggae music.

Legend
Legend
Round II:

Nothing needs to be said.

To me? Aerosmith were the best when they were using drugs. Great album/songs.

Frank Zappa once said Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar. I agree, his leads are like a fireworks show.

So well done.

Really good spiritual-type music, a positive message. (Not like all my other picks.)

I'm not into rap, but this is great stuff.

This was the first CD I ever bought. Devil music all the way. A bit too thrashy for me at times, but that's Slayer.

RATM is the bomb. I think they were the first rock/rap group to make it, but they weren't the first band to create it.

Man, these guys were so darn good. Slow and heavy with great vocals.

I loved this album when it came out. Listened to it for months on end. Brilliant.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Albums That Formed Us (2020 Edition)

Link Copied to Clipboard