Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Dude is pretty versatile. I actually like the pick. I think things just got twisted on this thread.

I do have a question that is a repeat question from Rish.

Did anyone watch Delpit a lot in 2018? All the reports say he was way better in that year. Did anyone notice his angles during the 2018 season? I'm asking the football guys, not the homers.

I didn't watch him in 2018, but he was definitely a different player (in a good way) late in the 2019 season as compared to the beginning and middle

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don’t know Delpit and Im not going through this whole thread but it always worries me when I hear about a defender that has trouble tackling. That’s basic and fundamental. It’s like drafting a receiver who has iffy hands or an inaccurate QB.... why? There’s certain things that are very hard to teach if they don’t have it by the time they get to this level. The same knock on Redwine last year and I think that was an issue. I hope he learns to tackle or we learn the knock is unwarranted.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
It was Greedy who was reputed to be a poor tackler, and that turned out to be mostly false.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Dude is pretty versatile. I actually like the pick. I think things just got twisted on this thread.

I do have a question that is a repeat question from Rish.

Did anyone watch Delpit a lot in 2018? All the reports say he was way better in that year. Did anyone notice his angles during the 2018 season? I'm asking the football guys, not the homers.

I did. Watch SEC football all the time. Best Conference BY FAR.

Delpit is a STUD. In 2018 he played outstanding. He jumps through the TV all the time. Massive closing speed quickness. This Kat is all over the field weekly. There is ZERO ISSUE with his tackling.

The high ankle sprain happened early 2019. I saw it right away. Thought to myself, Pit isn't showing that awesome explosion today. Sure as hell, it then gets reported he's fighting a high sprain.

He still looked awesome even playing through it. That's the type of injury that would put most guys down for extended periods. Just ask Myles Garrett.

This kid will make you forget about Randall.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Delpit didn't forget how to play and tackle from 2018 to 2019. Whatever issues there were in "19 was because of the injury. Very good player and pick for us.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Delpit didn't forget how to play and tackle from 2018 to 2019. Whatever issues there were in "19 was because of the injury. Very good player and pick for us.

Let's say hypothetically, worst case scenario that the guy can't tackle all that well. It's not like the only time in your life you can ever learn to tackle properly is Pop Warner. All you need is the willingness to learn and a coach who emphasizes it.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While the injury wasn't great for much of his tape last year, it might be a boon long-term. He had to improve his diagnostic skills and play under more control to compensate for his hindered athleticism.

He had some nice tackles in the NCG including a FF. Seems to be a good communicator, which I think was lacking for us a lot towards the end of last year especially.

Hopefully we get to see how it all comes together once he's back fully healthy.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: kwhip

I did. Watch SEC football all the time. Best Conference BY FAR.

Delpit is a STUD. In 2018 he played outstanding. He jumps through the TV all the time. Massive closing speed quickness. This Kat is all over the field weekly. There is ZERO ISSUE with his tackling.

The high ankle sprain happened early 2019. I saw it right away. Thought to myself, Pit isn't showing that awesome explosion today. Sure as hell, it then gets reported he's fighting a high sprain.

He still looked awesome even playing through it. That's the type of injury that would put most guys down for extended periods. Just ask Myles Garrett.

This kid will make you forget about Randall.

Most encouraging read for me yet. Thanks!

Last edited by mgh888; 04/25/20 11:01 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Sounds like he has a good attitude, already saying we will have the best secondary in the league. Also, he'll be going against 2 LSU alumni when he practices along with 2 others in Phillips and Williams. I don't think JL and OBJ will let them slack off. They'll be practicing against 2 really good WR's every day not to mention a good TE and RB's.

Legend
Legend
Grant Delpit says he’s excited to pick off Joe Burrow 2 or 3 times a year
Cleveland’s 2nd round pick says Browns will have the best secondary in NFL

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/grant-delpit-excited-to-face-joe-burrow

CLEVELAND, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – Grant Delpit and Joe Burrow stood together on the podium at the Superdome in January and held up the national championship trophy.

Now the two former LSU stars are rivals – not only in the AFC North but the state of Ohio.

Burrow went to the Bengals No. 1 overall and Friday night the Browns selected Delpit 44th overall in the second round following a trade from 41 with the Colts.

“I’m very excited to pick Joe off twice a year, three times a year, however many times we meet,” Delpit said jokingly when asked about the prospect of facing his former college teammate.

Delpit’s talent is easy to see, his big personality too.

When asked about tackling problems last year for the Tigers, Delpit playfully responded, “I'm so tired of hearing I can't tackle, I might tackle you for asking that question.”

The two-time All-American played through a high ankle sprain last season, refusing to sit out.

That toughness caught the Browns’ eye.

“It was tough,” Delpit said. “On Sunday mornings, I could barely walk, but I wanted to be there for my team. I think that me being hurt was something that I wasn’t worried about. I came to LSU with my dream. I was not going to let a sprained ankle keep me from off the field when we were trying to win a National Championship. I wanted to show all my brothers that I wasn’t selfish, and it worked out.”

No doubt Delpit is tough. He does not lack confidence either.

Delpit did not hesitate when asked about the potential of Cleveland’s secondary that now includes him, Denzel Ward and his former LSU teammate Greedy Williams.

“Without a doubt, top dogs in the NFL,” Delpit said. “We are coming in with that swagger, with that mentality and really a dog mentality – pun intended. I think that we are going to have the best secondary in the NFL with Greedy, Denzel. I am coming in with that mentality and win as a team and defense.”

When given an opportunity to clarify his comment about having the best secondary in the league, Delpit doubled down.

“The best,” Delpit said. “You can headline it, all caps.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
His name and personality lend to the perfect nickname ..... De Pitbull

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I think LSU folks called him “Pit” ... correct?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Might be.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thought they called him Little Jamal (Adams)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Thought they called him Little Jamal (Adams)
yeah i heard that too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.240 S Grant Delpit (LSU): Steps Ahead
by MATT WALDMANSEPTEMBER 3, 2019

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/09/03/ma...su-steps-ahead/

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room examines LSU safety Grant Delpit, one of the best prospects Waldman has watched in 2019 because of his ability to execute steps ahead of his competition.

Grant Delpit is one of the most intuitive players I’ve seen in a while. In the middle of executing a good decision, the LSU safety makes split-second adjustments that transform his choices into excellent outcomes.

These moments are happening at a speed that a player cannot think about—many of them can’t be practiced. These are flashes of intuition that come from piecing together disparate athletic, intellectual, and technical skills into exact solutions needed for a given moment.

I could probably do a four-hour film room on Delpit with the supply of impressive plays I’ve seen from him as a pass rusher, run defender, and executor of man and zone coverage. There will be plenty of people who will take the time to give you that kind of tour of Delpit’s game.

Instead, I’d rather show you three plays that reveal the invisible thread that elevates Delpit’s game to elite prospect status. The first is pass-breakup. The second is a quarterback sack. And the third is an assisted tackle to stop a fake field goal.

All three plays illustrate how Delpit consistently thinks a step ahead of the action happening to him, crafting and executing solutions before that action is even complete. In the way that photographers in the past used multiple cameras to take shots and piece them together for a 360-degree view, Delpit can scan a wide range of the field and not only remember what’s happening outside his immediate periphery but also anticipate what should happen next.

Special players possess this type of feel for the action. Delpit illustrates this on the first play when he understands there’s little separating the receiver from the open field after he tips the ball from the receiver but the path of the ball still gives his opponent a second-chance opportunity.

On the second play, Delpit begins his counter move to overcome a well-designed block that sends him to the ground before he even hits the ground.

And on the third play, Delpit gets stiff-armed to the ground but displays uncanny body awareness to slow the ballcarrier with the pinpoint placement of his hand on the football, while on the ground and turned away from the opponent.

I like a lot of football players in this 2020 NFL Draft class but if Delpit declares his eligibility, you can have the rest of them. Delpit is the type of player that makes quarterbacks, receivers, and ball carrier’s take the Lord’s name in vain. They probably just say “Grant Delpit,” it has the same first letters and syllable count…

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.240 S Grant Delpit (LSU): Steps Ahead
by MATT WALDMANSEPTEMBER 3, 2019

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/09/03/ma...su-steps-ahead/

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room examines LSU safety Grant Delpit, one of the best prospects Waldman has watched in 2019 because of his ability to execute steps ahead of his competition.

Grant Delpit is one of the most intuitive players I’ve seen in a while. In the middle of executing a good decision, the LSU safety makes split-second adjustments that transform his choices into excellent outcomes.

These moments are happening at a speed that a player cannot think about—many of them can’t be practiced. These are flashes of intuition that come from piecing together disparate athletic, intellectual, and technical skills into exact solutions needed for a given moment.

I could probably do a four-hour film room on Delpit with the supply of impressive plays I’ve seen from him as a pass rusher, run defender, and executor of man and zone coverage. There will be plenty of people who will take the time to give you that kind of tour of Delpit’s game.

Instead, I’d rather show you three plays that reveal the invisible thread that elevates Delpit’s game to elite prospect status. The first is pass-breakup. The second is a quarterback sack. And the third is an assisted tackle to stop a fake field goal.

All three plays illustrate how Delpit consistently thinks a step ahead of the action happening to him, crafting and executing solutions before that action is even complete. In the way that photographers in the past used multiple cameras to take shots and piece them together for a 360-degree view, Delpit can scan a wide range of the field and not only remember what’s happening outside his immediate periphery but also anticipate what should happen next.

Special players possess this type of feel for the action. Delpit illustrates this on the first play when he understands there’s little separating the receiver from the open field after he tips the ball from the receiver but the path of the ball still gives his opponent a second-chance opportunity.

On the second play, Delpit begins his counter move to overcome a well-designed block that sends him to the ground before he even hits the ground.

And on the third play, Delpit gets stiff-armed to the ground but displays uncanny body awareness to slow the ballcarrier with the pinpoint placement of his hand on the football, while on the ground and turned away from the opponent.

I like a lot of football players in this 2020 NFL Draft class but if Delpit declares his eligibility, you can have the rest of them. Delpit is the type of player that makes quarterbacks, receivers, and ball carrier’s take the Lord’s name in vain. They probably just say “Grant Delpit,” it has the same first letters and syllable count…

2 min video dissecting one play is a little excessive. LOL

I also don't like that a kicker stiff-armed him to the ground.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend

Studying Grant Delpit's versatility from a variety of alignments and closely digging into his tackling strengths and weaknesses -- particularly how/if they can be fixed.

For more deep-dive analysis, join us at TheOBR where Delpit's recent film room tracked the All-22 over his last two seasons at LSU and have 40+ clips and examples of his play style and traits.
READ MORE: https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-b...

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
My favourite draft pick. And as much as I’m hopeful about our new LT, I want Grant to be a perennial Pro Bowler and anchor our defensive backfield for a decade or more.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

Let's say hypothetically, worst case scenario that the guy can't tackle all that well. It's not like the only time in your life you can ever learn to tackle properly is Pop Warner. All you need is the willingness to learn and a coach who emphasizes it.

True, and Deion was a unwilling tackler. Nobody would cut him from the team.

I am not saying this kid is a Sanders, but he is good.

It's like backs who step out of bounds near run's end. I don't mind that if the guy is good.

If you need that last yard, sure, lower the shoulder and try to get it, but to me, I'd rather my guy not get hurt then trying for 1 extra yard.

Is that 1-2 yards more important than the 700 more he might gain for you over the last 6-7 games?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select safety Grant Delpit with the 44th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard