Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Dontrell Hilliard?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Hunt seems to be a more violent runner than Chubb. Chubb is hard to bring down but has some quick twitch where guys don't really get their hands cleanly on him. Hunt seems to want to run over and punish people.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Hunt seems to be a more violent runner than Chubb. Chubb is hard to bring down but has some quick twitch where guys don't really get their hands cleanly on him. Hunt seems to want to run over and punish people.

There is a time for that ... but it's not going to help your cause with a jail break in your backfield as your receiving the hand off.

The preception (with the certain series of plays in question) is that Chubb had a hard time, but upon further review, (he was hung out to dry) ... most backs would have lost more yardage then he ended up losing when things where all said and done.

-1 , -0, -0, -4 iirc...

After that series I was fully aboard the fire Feddie ~~~~~@train______

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I actually believe Hunt is a better short yardage back. Chubb is certainly a more productive back but in short yardage situations I think Hunt holds the advantage.

Why?

Does he break more tackles? No! Not imo.

Does he run with better vision ... again not imo.

Jim Brown wouldn't have scored on some of those GL plays this past season ... again imo.

I don't think that we have seen the best of Nick Chubb hitherto.

The best is yet to come thumbsup

I can answer why. Please don't get mad. This seems very personal to you. This discussion has cropped up a few times.

Chubb is a more patient runner. Hunt is more decisive. On the goal line, decisive is better unless you have a very good run blocking OL.

Chubb is more upright. Hunt runs w/a lower shoulder pad. Again, that favors Hunt.

No one is knocking Chubb. He's my favorite player on the team. No one is saying that Hunt should take Chubb's spot as the top RB. Some of us are saying that we prefer Hunt in short yardage/goal line situations. It's okay if you disagree, but not all of us are clueless.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not accusing anyone of being clueless ... perhaps some are a little ungrateful for not simply enjoying greatness while it's here.

Go Browns!!!

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
We ALL love Chubb, bro. There is no denying that. What astounds me is that there seem to be a lot of folks on here who underestimate Hunt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
We ALL love Chubb, bro. There is no denying that. What astounds me is that there seem to be a lot of folks on here who underestimate Hunt.

I love both,

There's not a better tandem in the League.

I wish it could last too, but this ain't the 20th century man ... who knows?

Hilliard is FA next year too, as he signed his tender for this year.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that we have the best RB combo in the entire league. I think both guys are in the top 10. I think they are higher than that, but just being conservative.

We probably won't keep both and some folks are already talking about getting rid of Hunt, but I would love to keep both. Both those guys are truly special.

I want to add that I love Chubb's demeanor. He is the one star on our team that isn't cocky or a look-at-me guy. He is quiet and understated. He is very classy.

Hunt has issues, but on the positive side, the guy is a hard worker and knows what it takes to win. I loved the passion he brought to blocking for Chubb last year.

These guys are both beasts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/C

The short-yardage running game in last year's offense was unreliable regardless of field position. It lacked creativity. Neither Robinson or Hubbard were able to consistently make blocks on unimaginative Gap-blocking plays to convert or score in short yardage. Better play design and playcalling should improve Chubb's production in these situations.

I spent three years in the Glassbowl watching Hunt run through and around MAC and other mid-major competition. He does run with a certain amount of abandon. He can be as physical and punishing as he can be elusive. Both Hunt and Chubb are great backs. Stylistically I think Hunt runs with urgency and explosion. Chubb runs with patience and power. The short-yardage plays that were used last year turned Chubbs' patience into a disadvantage.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey guard, I agree w/almost all of you what you said. There is a lot of good stuff in there. I don't agree that the parts about unimaginative play calling and how that will make a difference this year. That stuff is as basic as it gets. The rest......I agree with.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Not me, I hope we have both for the next several seasons. Would be great to have some run dominant wins and a pair of pro bowl RBs every year to rely on.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Not me, I hope we have both for the next several seasons. Would be great to have some run dominant wins and a pair of pro bowl RBs every year to rely on.

Being able to run at will crushes teams and the safest way to wins. Having a 2 headed monster in the backfield creates problems for a D. You have to key on 2 players. Extend Hunt for 3-4 years.

I like it. Then when the time comes, if you desire, he can be traded for a 3rd rounder with a year on his contract. Signing him is like buying insurance if Chubb gets hurt. It also reduces the chance Chubb get hurt because he won't get as many carries and overworked. It helps Hunt from not being overworked. Both guys seem like the type that don't need every carry. They will feed off each other like brothers. You compete, but you root for the other. It's a good tandem.

It also buys you a good draft pick when it comes time to move on and we decide it's time to trade one of them to get maximum value for the team. That is just a part of the business side many fans don't like. Think of it as trading in a car. Do you wait until it is worn out or do you trade while it still has some value? It's a hard decision.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: eotab
I see People-Jones taking his KR duties.

This kid LeMay is a short yardage back one that we lack. We'll see what happens but there is nothing Hilliard brings to the table that the Georgia back Herrian can't do.

Hunt is excellent and will take most of the reps Hilliard was getting the first half of the season.

He is meh to me. Seems to work hard but I see these guys wanting their UDFA picks to take over his roster spot.
jmho

notallthere
We have the best short yardage RB in the League in Nick Chubb.

Best all around back but sometimes in short yardage he is a little gassed and if you note in the past we sometimes take Chubb out to spread the formation. I agree Chubb is do it all. But this kid Le May is built low to the ground and is the bowling ball type. I think you will see what I mean when we get some good views in Preseason.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
While Chubb isn't bad at catching passes at all, Hunt really has that extra dimension to his game. Having a guy that can just as easily catch a pass and smoke you with a move or two as he can pound it right through you is devastating in that situation.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
The salary cap will put a damper on your plan ... it would be great but its just not realistic in todays nfl ... we finally have some talent worth keeping ... and its gonna cost us ...

P
Legend
Legend
P

Jim Brown wouldn't have scored on some of those GL plays this past season ... again imo.

Chubb is a more patient runner. He has what I think is better vision. The issue is that isn't what one consider strengths at the goal line. You need a RB that when he gets the ball simply explodes to the hole. One who gets lower and attacks.

I think you're actually getting a bit defensive with this. There's no doubt if I had to choose between the two Chubb is the guy I would want to keep. I mean we have a FB on the roster for short distance, goal line type situations.

But Chubb isn't the only great back in the league who sits on short and goal situations. That doesn't make him any less of a great RB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
The salary cap will put a damper on your plan ... it would be great but its just not realistic in todays nfl ... we finally have some talent worth keeping ... and its gonna cost us ...
yeah, thats my thought too. Ideally we’ll have to re-sign Myles and Baker ... and lets not forget about Ward ... we’ll have a tough choice with Chubb/Hunt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
yeah, thats my thought too. Ideally we’ll have to re-sign Myles and Baker ... and lets not forget about Ward ... we’ll have a tough choice with Chubb/Hunt

Character makes it a real easy choice ... wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Chubb is a more patient runner. He has what I think is better vision. The issue is that isn't what one consider strengths at the goal line. You need a RB that when he gets the ball simply explodes to the hole. One who gets lower and attacks.

I think you're actually getting a bit defensive with this. There's no doubt if I had to choose between the two Chubb is the guy I would want to keep. I mean we have a FB on the roster for short distance, goal line type situations.

But Chubb isn't the only great back in the league who sits on short and goal situations. That doesn't make him any less of a great RB.

Yes you're probably correct Pit, I might be a little defensive here, but tell me that we would even be having this conversation IF Hunt wasn't on the team.

BTW ... I know that stats are for losers ... but both of thier respective college careers (44) and in the pros (17/16) rushing TDs' are pretty even, with Hunt having one more in the League having played three more total games and carries, and Chubb with less carries/games in college.

It's by no means is a perfect and conclusive indicator, but its close enough to call this debate for what it is ... splitting hairs!

... wink ...

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah that’s definitely a big part of it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Where we agree, that's cool where we disagree that's cool also.

The team failed too many times to make the line to gain in short-yardage situations. There were numerous plays blown-up behind the line of scrimmage. A lot of that is asking players, particularly on-line, to execute assignments that weren't suitable for their skill sets.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I like Hunt also..kid is good. But he was brought in by Dorsey and the new guys might not overlook the trash that come with him - as long as he stays a boy scout its a tough decision on what to do with him come contract time although he's a Brown's fan so he might give us the right to a special offer that he would accept not possibly the largest offer just one that he can be happy with.

Chubb is a super star but most RBs start to burn out by year 8.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’ll just add this here instead of starting a new thread

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...impression=true

Our backfield is ranked way higher than any other ... at least according to this

Legend
Legend
Most of these rankings are worthless in the big scheme of things, obviously. Pretty crazy though, according to this scoring system we have a 13 point spread over #2... Nowhere else in the rankings is there more than a 3 point spread. In fact, there is only 22 points separating #2 from 32.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Most of these rankings are worthless in the big scheme of things, obviously. Pretty crazy though, according to this scoring system we have a 13 point spread over #2... Nowhere else in the rankings is there more than a 3 point spread. In fact, there is only 22 points separating #2 from 32.

exactly ... they dont mean anything, i was just surprised at how far ahead of the pack we were

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like that we are ranked #1 and Pittsburgh is ranked #32.

Baltimore really should be a lot higher because of Lamar.

His 91 PFF rushing score would give Baltimore 177 and put them #2 on this list. In all honsety, they should probably be #1.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah having a running QB throws something different into the mix. If you have Lamar, Ingram, and Dobbins that’s a dynamic backfield

V
Legend
Legend
V
One can say that they don't mean anything, but it would be foolish to say that Chubb and Hunt are light years above any other combo.

O
Legend
Legend
O
One can say that they don't mean anything, but it would be foolish to say that Chubb and Hunt are light years above any other combo.

I don't know... it's not the most outrageous thing to come from a talking head. Chubb and Hunt are both beasts, and we made a couple big-to-huge upgrades along the line. Conklin, and even Wills should be a safe upgrade, in terms of run-blocking. All that, and we aren't even talking about probable upgrades in scheme.
I'll buy it.

Taking a step back, what we did/have with our run game is pretty crazy coming out of this offseason. Hunt and Chubb both have claims as top NFL RBs, and then we added an elite run-blocking RT and an upgraded rub-blocking LT. We added a FB and some blocking to our TE group.

Last edited by oobernoober; 05/22/20 09:13 AM. Reason: Added the last bit

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I left out a word and it completely changed the meaning of my comment. The word I left out was "not."

Let me write it another way.

I think Chubb and Hunt are by far the best 1-2 punch of RBs in the entire NFL. Thus, I agree w/the rankings.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Ha! Just one little word...

:-p

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Re-Sign Dontrell Hilliard

Link Copied to Clipboard