Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Legend
Legend
D
How is that on Bake .. if KJ allowed that its on KJ ...

Based off 18’s result Freddie was a good hire ... i don’t get it .. he put in a system in 18 Bake THRIVED IN .... and because of that O the Isle was hopping and we were all full of optimism for the future ...

How was KJ or anyone suppose to know someone would perform a lobotomy on Freddie and take out everything he knew about designing and calling plays ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I liked Mangini a lot - I thought that is where we missed out. He had nothing in the way of talent and yet we were winning games like against the Pats with a 3rd round rookie QB McCoy. also he won his last 4 games by running the ball but we then hired the Csar who was in a Resort holiday not football.

jmho

Mangina was the biggest piece of trash ever to hold a coaching position of any type in Cleveland, let along being in charge of the draft. Absolute trash, filth, a disgusting sub human species.... you know, the coach who would have players spy on each others and played favorites with his players...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Were you in the locker room?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I know a lot of hate there without substance...Its ok Charger to have a different opinion but you didn't do anything to change mine...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Brian Dumboll was a worse OC than Mangini as
A HC. But EM was proof positive he was,a poor
Judge of talent and assistant coaches.
EM tried to be another Belichek and the lockeroom
Found it a joke

Dumboll gets so much love on here. And
For what....cause he marched out Robert Royal
And a Olineman and the Easter Bunny
12 yards away from the center in a formation
Dumboll drew up in crayon that morning
That hardly qualifies him as a genius.
How many OC jobs has he held since then ?

When they speak of highly innovative offensive
Minds around the league Dumboll is never
Brought up.....

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
FYI

Cleveland Browns (2009–2010)
Offensive coordinator
Miami Dolphins (2011)
Offensive coordinator
Kansas City Chiefs (2012)
Offensive coordinator
New England Patriots (2013)
Offensive assistant
New England Patriots (2014–2016)
Tight ends coach
Alabama (2017)
Co-Offensive coordinator & Quarterbacks coach
Buffalo Bills (2018–present)
Offensive coordinator

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Why just like Freddie a glorified TEs coach

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are out of bounds w/these comments. Almost everyone on here hated Daboll on here. There were about 3 of us who supported the dude.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Daboll gets so much love on here...lol laugh you totally lost me there cause I think I was the only one who like him so you lost big time Cred with that statement.

Where I became a fan of Daboll was with several things.

1. His handling of McCoy as a rookie.

2. He was the guy who established that weird formation...OTs out wide, used against the Bengals for a TD where Hue actually fell in love with it and would show it sometimes but didn't have the guts to commit to a series. Just google McCoy TD pass to Royal I think it was their only TD.

3. Also in a goal to go situation he did a trick play with Northcutt getting the handoff...loved the design. Our talent level pretty much sucked all the way around and I thought he got the most out of it and the 4 games which we ran the ball exclusively and won I thought was amazing, it screwed us with the draft pick next season but it still was a great thing to watch.

It was our GM who screwed us - as he didn't do his job. Won't go further than that.

jmho won't take this much further as it has nothing to do on our draft. Just explaining why I liked Daboll and Mangini.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought Daboll (and Mangini) handled McCoy really poorly? The treated him like dirt until he had to start. Went beyond just tough love, I believe. I remember reading that from one of the excerpts from the fringe player that came through here during the Mangini days.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
And yet Daboll was praised by the main stream sports media as handling McCoy with prowess. Didn't hear this dirt thing. Just be aware of disgruntled players.

anyway here and gone just explaining why I liked both.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
Didn't hear this dirt thing.

It was a pretty big deal at the time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mccoy-develops-thick-skin-rookie-070700834--nfl.html

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Wow, I never read or heard that. I can understand wanting to toughen up a kid BUT that is a little much. I dont know how many QB's he could treat like that now a days and get away with it. How would they have handled it if Colt had blasted him in the face. My guess would be Daboll would get canned not the player. In any event Colt has stayed in the league for many years now so maybe it did help him some.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Rottweiller
Wow, I never read or heard that. I can understand wanting to toughen up a kid BUT that is a little much.

This is really the crux of it. When the articles mention other players just kinda looking at what's happening and either being shocked or shaking their heads, you know it's bad.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
`1. yahoo sports
2. If you read into that it was not during the regular season games it was in the training as it was a crash course for him to become the starter.

3. If you read into that you would see it stated

Just hang in there.'"
McCoy did, putting up solid numbers after taking over as the team's starter six weeks into the 2010 season.

After which his demise started once Pat Shurmer took over.

But I know its just me. Its obvious what was going on and it was in his training...not regular season games!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I can understand a coach being tough, like a Parcells, Shula or Lombardi to name a few but what I read about Colt is a bit much. There is a limit before it becomes abusive.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I do remember reading this stuff about Daboll/McCoy at that time ... that coaching staff seemed like jerks. Re-reading that article it seems worse than I remember though.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Phillips was drafted to spy Lamar.

Keep your eyes on him, follow him, then knock the snot out of him if he bolts.

I like LSU players. Some schools usually have players with "grit". LSU is one of those.

You don't play at LSU unless you are a leather neck. I don't have any proof, just my opinion.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Wasn't aware LSU were bringing Marines in to play ball.

I do not think Phillips is fast enough to spy Lamar. I think you need a Safety type for that role. See Joseph.

Last edited by Hammer; 06/11/20 11:36 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I like LSU players. Some schools usually have players with "grit". LSU is one of those.

You don't play at LSU unless you are a leather neck. I don't have any proof, just my opinion.

I think Phillips was more drafted to meet Dobbins/Ingram in the hole, and that someone else more nimble can spy Lamar.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

I think Phillips was more drafted to meet Dobbins/Ingram in the hole, and that someone else more nimble can spy Lamar.
perhaps Delpit?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

perhaps Delpit?

Maybe so. I do know he is fast. His 40 was 4.6....maybe not the fastest, but his shot shuttle was 4.3. That is really good in short space. But, you might be right, he might not be the spy. Clean up the holes tackle to tackle.

Either way, I am pretty happy we were able to get him. I think he was one of those choices where we broke a few hearts when we plucked him off other teams boards.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I hope so too ... i agree his 40 time probably isnt ideal, but he could be a steal

Legend
Legend
I don't see using a guy whose strength is playing center field, and who has issues tackling, against a guy like Lemar Jackson.

Sendajo is a hard hitter at S, and Joseph is very good in the box. I think that we will probably play one of these 2 against Jackson. It would make more sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I don't see using a guy whose strength is playing center field, and who has issues tackling, against a guy like Lemar Jackson.

Sendajo is a hard hitter at S, and Joseph is very good in the box. I think that we will probably play one of these 2 against Jackson. It would make more sense.

I didn't know he played center field. I thought he was a linebacker. Maybe I am just picking nits in the way you describe him, sorry if so.

To 4lifes comments, yes, 4.6 in the 40 isn't all that fast, yet respectable. 4.3 in the short shuttle is. That is the key time for a linebacker IMO.

Maybe I am old school, or just old fashioned, but to me a backers first job is to stop the run, not run step for step with some back or slot guy 35 yards down the field.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He's done a little of everything, but his strength is as FS.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Phillips was brought in in hopes that he has the talent to become a starter and then upgrade the goal to be a Pro Bowler.

As far as our Game Plan against the Ravens and Steelers for our Division goals I don't think anyone was drafted with a specific role in a game plan that is not conceived yet.

jmho. I think it will be more Garrett and Vernon boxing Lamar in and make him do what he can up the middle where he will get a lot of hats on him.

Add Larry in that mix those are some big guys that are quick and fast!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I said previously that I feel Phillips will become a very good player for us. He is a good tackler, plays sideline to sideline, hustles and comes from a winning program which I feel is important. I don't think it's just a coincidence that we drafted good players in positions of need from LSU not to mention having JL and OBJ here already.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft your thoughts on our draft? Much too early grades etc..

Link Copied to Clipboard