Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

Twitter Corrects Fact Check on Voting After It Gets Fact-checked

Joel B. Pollak

28 May 2020

Twitter corrected the notice that it appended to tweets by President Donald Trump on Tuesday after the Wall Street Journal pointed out that the fact check, itself, was factually inaccurate.

After Trump tweeted criticism of California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s decision to send mail-in ballot applications to every registered voter in the state, Twitter added a “fact check” label that read: “Get the facts about mail-in ballots.”

….living in the state, no matter who they are or how they got there, will get one. That will be followed up with professionals telling all of these people, many of whom have never even thought of voting before, how, and for whom, to vote. This will be a Rigged Election. No way!

Twitter’s fact-checking link pointed users to articles by CNN and the Washington Post — two outlets notorious for their opposition to the Trump administration.

However, the Wall Street Journal noted:

Twitter’s fact check of Mr. Trump’s tweet appeared to contain its own misleading statement, however, stating that “mail-in ballots are already used in some states, including Oregon, Utah and Nebraska.” That statement appears to conflate automatic all-mail voting with absentee ballots in regards to at least one state.

While all states allow absentee voting via the mail, only a handful of states including Oregon and Utah automatically send registered voters mail-in ballots. Nebraska, in contrast, recently mailed applications to every voter—in response to the pandemic, and the state didn’t automatically send ballots.

The mistake raised questions about Twitter’s ability to serve as an independent service to fact check statements by Mr. Trump or other political figures on its service. Late Tuesday, Twitter updated its language to remove reference to Nebraska and instead stated that “five states already vote entirely by mail and all states offer some form of mail-in absentee voting.”

The Journal noted in an update: “Late Tuesday Twitter updated its language in a fact-check of President Trump’s tweet.” The Journal‘s Dustin Volz tweeted: “It was corrected after an elections professional notified the company (and me) about the mistake.”

As Breitbart News has reported, California faces at least two lawsuits over mail-in ballots by plaintiffs alleging that Newsom lacks constitutional and legal authority to change the state’s voting system without legislative approval.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/05/2...IiPw2h9mPTM5rGg

ZING!
ZOWIE!
KABAAM!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
So, twitters fact checkers need fact checkers to check the facts that twitters fact checker's misrepresent? Imagine that.

I think DC's post, in a different thread I believe, was spot on: twitter's fact checker/s are republican haters. Imagine that.

And as others have written and suggested - everything should be fact checked. Most especially a POTUS that lies, essentially, for a living. Dude is a pathological liar/embellisher. . . whether it's re-posting/re-tweeting Right Wing agendas, telling press conferences to look at bleach as a cure for CV-19 or peddling these lies about a woman who was NOT murdered some 20 years ago. Twitter corrected their error - all be it that it was a relatively minor one. They owned it and corrected it.

Where is Trump's apology and own-age of his lies and smearing of the deceased - Lori - who he peddled false lies and conspiracy theories about? .... You seem so quick to attack the "biased" fact checkers on Twitter for an non-factual part of their audit ... yet still crickets on all the misrepresentations and flasehoods Trump actually tweets about.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/28/20 07:58 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Fact check the hell out of all of them. ALL of them, not just the president.

But don't have a 'fact checker' that is totally biased. Can you understand that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, twitters fact checkers need fact checkers to check the facts that twitters fact checker's misrepresent? Imagine that.

I think DC's post, in a different thread I believe, was spot on: twitter's fact checker/s are republican haters. Imagine that.

No! Really?! (Said with the utmost sacasm)

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Zuckerberg knocks Twitter for fact-checking Trump, says private companies shouldn't be 'the arbiter of truth'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-twitter-fact-checking-trump

One of their own agrees that Twitter was wrong.

Quotes the man who won't show the Kent State Photo from May 4, 1970....

I will openly ask if not the platform who then... Even organizations such as Snopes and Politifact are railed against as being biased.

Which is why I don't use twitter, facebook, snopes, politifact. Even the cofounder of wikipedia says it's been ruined by liberal bias.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/wikipedia-...-lefty-politics

Yes, Foxnews is the authority on bias..

Gees, find anyone else other than FOX or Brietbart or infowars or Rush Limbaugh that thinks this way? Dumb thinking

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
V
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Facts. The facts of your opinion?

ok.

IMO. What we leave behind for future generations is who we are.

trump's war on the environment is enough for me to never consider him as anything more fossil fuel stooly.

He wants to drill for oil and gas in National Parks.

I could go on and on. Check his record.

Facts ... the facts form my opinion ...

No need to check his record ... he wants to drill for oil and gas in national parks ... we agree on that cause its a fact ... then we part ways once our opinions enter in ... u are dead set against it ... I’m meh on it .. i see both sides and choose not to take onion this issue due to my lack of knowledge on the subject ...

I agree what we leave behind determines who are .... i also think that the environment is one cog in that determination not the be all end all ... I’m not a fan of what were doing to the planet but I also don’t think the worlds gonna end in 50 years because of what were doing ...

I can come up with a long list of what i think trump has done wrong .... can u give me a list of things u think he’s done right? ...

Legend
Legend
The National Parks and forests are sacred. Anyone that's taken a long hike off the main roads into these wilderness areas and experienced the untouched landscapes would realize what a sin it would be to drill and mine there. No oil, minerals or lumber is worth losing that forever. And where would the money go, into the oil, timber and mining company pockets?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I am so opposed to him on so many levels that I admit that it is hard for me to see anything he has done that I am good with.

Immigration has been a disaster for 50 years.

I don't like people crashing the borders. Even though I understand their plight. But building a Wall today is hardly an answer. In fact it is silly. There are better better solutions.

The problem is deep seated and needs real solutions. Not a Wall to fan hatred.

Energy. Fossil fuels need to be slowly phased out. There are better solutions. Coal is hardly the answer.

International policies: The only thing I give trump credit for is trade with China. The need to establish a balance was there and he acted on it.

Other than that he has alienated our allies and slept with our enemies. The whole deal on the murder of Khashoggi proves my point. He let the prince get away with murder all for money.

Honestly, I don't think trump believed he would get elected and he ran solely for more brand awareness. He was ill prepared and has proved his incompetence.

Look who he hired. Fired etc. "All the best people" many now are in jail. He forces Sessions to resign. A guy he hired who supported him. Now he trashes him. As he does with all those that have left.

His conduct and the way he perceives his power is atrocious. He would like to be Putin or Kim. I believe that is exactly what he would like.

I don't see a redeeming quality in the man.

I don't believe the people who support him would be allowed across the threshold of one of his properties. He hangs only with the wealthy. He associates only with those who he feels he can use at some point. I doubt that he has ever done a single labor chore in his life.

He was born to wealth. And he has spent his career climbing on the backs of others to gain more wealth.

I am an American. I believe in capitalism. At the same time guys like Gates and others have done good things with what they have earned.

Let's see trump's taxes. That he promised he would show. Let's see how much tax he paid. Let's see what he actually gave to charities?

P
Legend
Legend
P
But don't have a 'fact checker' that is totally biased. Can you understand that?

You mean like Breitbart? Facts are either facts or they're not. Shooting the messenger will not change the facts.

But only facts coming from some right wing, radical conspiracy site seem to work for some.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

So the same party who says businesses should not be regulated and have the right to run their business as they see fit, are now throwing a fit because a business is doing just that.

Another basic principal they have abandoned in their Trumpian fervor.

I will state that when Trump tried to block people on Twitter and got sued and the court forced him to unblock them... this became about more than just a business doing what it wants to do and turned Twitter (and other social media platforms) into a recognized member of "the media"... which took the 1A discussion to a whole different level with respect to social media....

So if they are going to play in that sandbox, then their attempts to regulate, fact-check, block, suspend, etc will be (and should be) much more harshly scrutinized...

Twitter did not sue Trump. So it wasn't Twitter playing in that sand box. Had they have been the ones to do that I could see your point. Not only that, you are comparing two things that are totally different. Nobody sued Trump for checking the facts of those posters statements. Had that been the case I may have also agreed with your point.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Here's a 17 part explanation on the merits of Trump's Executive Order...

I assume she meant it to read long "thread" alert. Part 5 is where she begins discussing the EO...for anyone interested.

Click the tweet or link for the full thread.

https://twitter.com/daniellecitron/status/1266381845735899141

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
What I don't get about this entire situation is he wasn't even censored.

Twitter left the two original up with a disclaimer at the bottom that said "hey, he's lying. Here's the truth."

They even left up his call for violence tweet, too.

It seems what's making conservatives angry, especially those on this very site, is that a private business followed their ToS for once and actually held our impeached President accountable.

Sure, there's the whole "whatabout the fact checker who is..." nonsense but I'm not engaging in USSR propaganda arguments.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Trump just goes off the deep end any time anyone questions anything he says. He either fires them, calls them fake, labels them an enemy or tries to ruin their business. It's all he knows how to do.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

[color:#FFCC33]I am so opposed to him on so many levels that I admit that it is hard for me to see anything he has done that I am good with.

That doesn’t sound open minded to me in the least ... your not even close to open minded when it comes to trump even though u stated u let the facts dictate your conclusions ... your dislike of trump drives your conclusions ... at least your finally being honest about it ...

What is it u don’t like about the first step act?
What is it about the opportunity zones he’s creating in lower income areas u don’t like?
What is it about the major increases in funding he gave to HBU’s u don’t like?

Is there something wrong with All the jobs he’s brought back from overseas?
Is there something wrong with unemployment being so low companies like Amazon and Wal Mart were forced to give decent raises? ... Amazon even went up to the minimum wage that is currently all the rage of 15/hour

What’s wrong with him decimating ISIS and turning it into a t-ball league?

I could keep going but thats plenty of good he’s done ....

Quote:
Immigration has been a disaster for 50 years.

I don't like people crashing the borders. Even though I understand their plight. But building a Wall today is hardly an answer. In fact it is silly. There are better better solutions.

The problem is deep seated and needs real solutions. Not a Wall to fan hatred.

What r your solutions? Ones that will actually work .... and keep in mind almost every single person in the border patrol says a wall is necessary as does all the former and current higher ups in the border patrol ....

Why is a wall silly? U may think its overkill but silly? ...

It is a deep seated problem that does need real solutions ... there’s one real simple, easy one .... why is a wall where needed not a real solution? ... do real walls not work? ...

Spread hate? ... u can come here ... just do it the way your suppose too .. WTF is wrong with that .... if u don’t want to come here the right way were going to make it as hard on u as we can to get here ... how is that spreading hate? .... Sounds like common sense to me ...

Thats enough for now ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
What is it about the opportunity zones he’s creating in lower income areas u don’t like?

Here are a few concerns if you'll take the time to read them.

Legend
Legend

Latino labor has been ingrained into the work force. Why? Because they are hired. There is demand.

Allow a passage to be documented as a workforce. Provide verifiable identification with a tax ID. Track their employment. Tax them. Allow them to go back and forth. For the most part these people are trying to escape poverty and persecution. They are trying to improve their lives and feed their families. We have technology.
Currently Immigrants make up approximately 17 percent of the U.S. labor force, about one in six workers.Jun 5, 2018

A Wall. First of all that is the symptom not the root cause or cure. There will be no wall spanning the entire border. You want to build one across Canada as well? How about along both coasts? Desperate people will find ways to get in. Would a wall have stopped 911?

If no employer were allowed to hire the labor there would be no illegal workers. They are breaking the law. No different than coming across illegally.

The Wall is a political trump symbol. IT will not solve immigration.

You mean HBCU's?
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...-largely-backed

ISIS. Really? So that is all trump?

Unemployment. Don't even go there. When you provide detailed research that proves trump direct impact I will be glad to look at that.

Show numbers about jobs brought back. Cheap labor overseas is part of nearly every product you own. Sharpen your teeth on International trade and get back to me.

Verifiable facts drive my conclusions. I know who and what trump is.

Legend
Legend
Twitter did not sue Trump. So it wasn't Twitter playing in that sand box. Had they have been the ones to do that I could see your point. Not only that, you are comparing two things that are totally different. Nobody sued Trump for checking the facts of those posters statements. Had that been the case I may have also agreed with your point.

I never said Twitter sued Trump, I said he was sued for blocking people on Twitter.. none of that changes the fact that the ruling, impacted how Twitter is treated as a media outlet..

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
According to what you've posted in the past late night TV and Bill Maher are treated as a media outlet. Yet they can not be sued for what is obviously considered comedic quotes like an actual media outlet.

Here's the rub, Nobody censored Trump in any way. Nobody has restricted anything he posts on Twitter. By contrast that's exactly what Trump was attempting to do. These two examples couldn't be further apart.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I were GOP, I would be very hesitant to support tRumpf's assault on IG and Congress's oversight.

Sooner or later a liberal President will get elected and USE all the Powers tRumpf is assuming for the Presidency. GOP will stain their shorts.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
If I were GOP, I would be very hesitant to support tRumpf's assault on IG and Congress's oversight.

Sooner or later a liberal President will get elected and USE all the Powers tRumpf is assuming for the Presidency. GOP will stain their shorts.
I've been saying that for a long time ... every new low that Trump sets is simply precedent for a future POTUS to scoop to. Left or right doesn't really matter.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
According to what you've posted in the past late night TV and Bill Maher are treated as a media outlet. Yet they can not be sued for what is obviously considered comedic quotes like an actual media outlet.

Here's the rub, Nobody censored Trump in any way. Nobody has restricted anything he posts on Twitter. By contrast that's exactly what Trump was attempting to do. These two examples couldn't be further apart.

Not for nothing but Hillary Clinton warned us that you could trigger Trump with a tweet... She was so very right

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/04/20 01:36 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Twitter labeled Trump tweets with a fact check for the first time

Link Copied to Clipboard