Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
kwhip #1608860 03/31/19 10:31 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: clwb419
With the talent decrease in KC, combined with a year of tape and DCs being able to plan for him, I expect Mahommes to take a minor step backwards numbers-wise.

Baker will be interesting - with OBJ we have more talent on the offense, but there's tape on Baker now and defenses can plan for him as well. If the OL, playcalling, and running game can continue with what we saw the last half of the season, I'd hope he'd at least be on par with last season. Will success get to their heads? Will there be a sophomore slump? How will things change on O? How will the improved (presumably) defense impact what we do on offense? Based on 2018 records, we have the 10th easiest schedule this season (according to CBS), will an "easier" schedule lead to better numbers? Lots of questions.

If YOU are a DC. What "Tendency " did you see in Mayfield?

Initially he had a tendency to bail to his left. The Texans were the first to exploit this and set a harder edge on the defensive right which caused BM to second guess and reduced his comfort level.

this leads into the next tendency I saw... his ability to learn from defensive schemes and improve. because of this I believe you will see a marked improvement on his Post Snap reads and his game will improve.

JMO

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Random...

I'm just glad we don't have to hear during games any talk of the Browns not drafting Wentz and Watson anymore.

Glad we got our QB.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Over the next ten years or more Baker and Mahomes will be compared often. It is a natural story line.

In the end it will be about which team wins more.

My hope is the Browns become a stable team and what we all have hoped for happens; Continuity.

Baker will do his part IMO but we need stability in order to have a chance at consistent success.

It would be great that ten years from now we could look back at today and say this when we got it right and Dorsey and Freddie would still be in place.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think obviously you can't compare the two situations. Based on that, I'd say Baker's season is every bit as good or better than Mahomes.

There aren't too many quarterbacks who could come in and do what Baker did. We stick with Tyrod and we're probably drafting in the top 5.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you can't compare the two, until you compared the two.

wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
FLA: My point was I dont think Mahommes would have won games with that roster and our coaches

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I may be alone in this but I am pretty sure will get quite a few chances to see these 2 duel it out. May the better man win (cough cough) Baker

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
FLA: My point was I dont think Mahommes would have won games with that roster and our coaches

Kizer lost us quite a few games w/dumb-ass plays. A competent qb could have won a few games. I think Mahomes would have won w/games w/that team.

I know this is a Brown's message board, but I don't think many people who are Brown's fans would choose Baker over Mahomes at this particular point in time.

kwhip #1608934 03/31/19 01:47 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: clwb419
With the talent decrease in KC, combined with a year of tape and DCs being able to plan for him, I expect Mahommes to take a minor step backwards numbers-wise.

Baker will be interesting - with OBJ we have more talent on the offense, but there's tape on Baker now and defenses can plan for him as well. If the OL, playcalling, and running game can continue with what we saw the last half of the season, I'd hope he'd at least be on par with last season. Will success get to their heads? Will there be a sophomore slump? How will things change on O? How will the improved (presumably) defense impact what we do on offense? Based on 2018 records, we have the 10th easiest schedule this season (according to CBS), will an "easier" schedule lead to better numbers? Lots of questions.

If YOU are a DC. What "Tendency " did you see in Mayfield?

I'm not a DC, but that's one of the things DCs do - look for tendencies and do what they can to defend them, do what they can do to limit the strength of opponents. This happens all the time, it isn't a new thing.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So you can't compare the two, until you compared the two.

wink

You can definitely compare the two. There's almost equal amount of game tape. The issue is that their situations aren't even remotely the same. Or don't you follow football?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Or don't you follow football?

Good one. rolleyes

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
I know this is a Brown's message board, but I don't think many people who are Brown's fans would choose Baker over Mahomes at this particular point in time.

Who are or aren't? I think most Browns fans would pick Mayfield over Mahomes.

Outside of Cleveland, i think it's closer than most would think. I think you have to give the edge to Mahomes. But the are many who would choose Baker.

I said prior to last season the only two quarterbacks (yes, out of all QBs in the league) I would take over Mayfield were Wentz and Mahomes. I believe some laughed at that comment. I wonder what they think now....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks. Sometimes you have to wonder.

T
Legend
Legend
T
"I told you so posts never go over well"

I don't recall anybody laughing from either side either.
As teams, you get your guy, and you roll with him.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not an I told you so post. More like its interesting to see how quickly things change. If i told you this time last year that now we'd be discussing mahomes as one of the best QBs in the league with people saying we'll be seeing mahomes-mayfield duels in the future as two of the league's premier quarterbacks, most of ya'll would have been laughing.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Not an I told you so post. More like its interesting to see how quickly things change. If i told you this time last year that now we'd be discussing mahomes as one of the best QBs in the league with people saying we'll be seeing mahomes-mayfield duels in the future as two of the league's premier quarterbacks, most of ya'll would have been laughing.

Deflate your head, Dawg.

It's really annoying.

So u think u hit on a QB that the WHOLE WORLD didn't think would go #1. Yay for u.

He's OURS NOW. Let's ride the ride and see where it goes.

kwhip #1608996 03/31/19 06:41 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're reading into my post trying to make it say something it doesn't. That's what's really annoying.

Mayfield was probably rated much higher than the WHOLE WORLD realized. Mainstream media wanted you to believe otherwise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

For the first time in God knows how long we don’t need to draft a QB. And since we can’t argue about which QB to draft this year we will argue about who said what about which QB we needed to draft last year.

The season can’t get here soon enough.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
eotab #1609055 03/31/19 11:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
But lets hope he is kept clean and we don't damage him. As teams will start trying to put him away to beat us.
jmho
I like the acquisitions, Beckham, Richardson, and Vernon. But we don't know how loss of Zeitler is going to affect the line. He was a major part of the OL success. I hope Corbett, or whomever is going to take his place, is more than adequate.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I just made a post in another thread about the two.

To sum it up, I don't think you can compare the two.

PM came into a terrific situation with a GREAT team around him.

Bake came into a dumpster fire, with limited talent, the worst HC in the history of football, then an Interim HC halfway through the season - and for him to respond the way he did in that type of environment and hardships, with limited talent - was and is to me - one of the top rookie campaigns in NFL history.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I'm ready to see how those numbers change with both entrenched as starters for a full season. Should be fun to watch regardless of the outcome.

I'm curious to see Mahomes stats vs. Baker in his rookie year... lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I think obviously you can't compare the two situations. Based on that, I'd say Baker's season is every bit as good or better than Mahomes.

Like I said, I'm not the one who said you can't compare them right before I compared them. Yes, I follow football. I can also read your posts. I'm not sure how you can say that 50 TD's is equal. But you did anyway.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

the only thing anyone needs to watch is the first 25 seconds of this video.

it answers all of the questions between Mahomes and Mayfield.

Turn up the volume at in at 16 seconds wink

laugh

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Legend
Legend
D
J/c

I don’t get it ... i really don’t ...

Any team would be real fortunate to have EITHER OF THEM ...

I’m THRILLED we have BAKE but wouldn’t be the least bit bummed if we had to “settle” for Mahomes ... *L* ...

It’s going to be FUN to watch them both develop ... along with 3 or 4 of the other young QB’s ... these two as of now are CLEARLY THE CREAM OF THE CROP ...

This is just another way for us that things are DIFFERENT!!!!!

thumbsup

B
Legend
Legend
B
I can't say I remember the thread. I didn't make comment, so I guess I missed it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker vs Mahomes

Link Copied to Clipboard