Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Mitch Albom is a stand up guy. I used to love listening to him on the Detroit channels on both TV and Radio, as well as his articles in the Detroit Free Press. He's one of the last of the great sports reporters....and he can successfully cross the bridge into social issue reporting without being an idiot.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Tell us oh wise one what are those answers?

I'm not giving answers. I am not telling people to believe one view or another.

I am asking that folks look deeper into what is going on and make up their own minds. I am asking that just don't look at things on the surface and instead dig deeper and see what the real goals of this movement are. I think people should make up their own minds, but do so w/intelligence and not just blindly follow the media and certain black groups w/out at least educating themselves.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Jewish leaders condemn 'hurtful' words by Nick Cannon

by LUIS ANDRES, HENAO Associated PressWednesday, July 15th 2020

The Anti-Defamation League and other Jewish leaders condemned what they called “hurtful words” and anti-Semitic theories expressed by Nick Cannon on Wednesday, a day after ViacomCBS severed ties with him for the remarks made on a podcast.

And after the TV host and producer wrote a lengthy Facebook post defending himself and criticizing his firing for what the company deemed “bigotry” and “anti-Semitism,” prominent members of the U.S. Jewish community said the post fell well short and demanded an apology.

“It’s not enough to say I’m not a racist, I’m not a bigot,” said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center. “The statements he made are hurtful and they’re false.”

Cooper said Cannon had reached out to him Wednesday to have a conversation, but he preferred to speak to him only after he issues an apology.

He said Cannon should read and heed the words of Martin Luther King Jr., who "dedicated his life for civil rights for all and a color-blind America.” Cooper also would advise him to seek out the guidance of basketball Hall of Famer-turned-writer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who has condemned several sports and entertainment celebrities for anti-Semitic posts.

In the hour-plus episode of “Cannon's Class” released last month that prompted his firing, Cannon and Richard “Professor Griff” Griffin, formerly of the rap group Public Enemy, contended that Black people are the true Hebrews and Jews have usurped that identity.

Cannon then argued that lighter-skinned people — “Jewish people, white people, Europeans" — “are a little less" and have a “deficiency” that historically caused them to act out of fear and commit acts of violence to survive.

“They had to be savages,” he said.

“When I first heard about the comments Mr. Cannon made, it was very, very disappointing," said Oren Segal, director of the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism. "We’re in a time where hatred of all kinds is very much apparent. It’s in the news every day.”

“Anti-Semitism in particular over the past several years has been something that we've seen in increase , as well as racism and other issues," Segal added. "So when you hear an individual who has a public profile, who has influence over people, make statements that are highly offensive to the Jewish community, the first reaction is disappointment.”

Anti-Semitic violent attacks rose worldwide by 18% in 2019 compared with the previous year, according to a report published in April by Tel Aviv University’s Kantor Center for the Study of Contemporary Jewry.

Segal said some members of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement see themselves as the true “chosen people,” and believe that Blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans are the true descendants of the 12 Tribes of Israel. He noted that not all spew hateful rhetoric, although many adhere to an extreme set of anti-Semitic beliefs.

Bruce Haynes, a professor of sociology at the University of California, Davis, who has been studying Black Jews for more than two decades, agreed that the remarks echo the ideas of extreme Black Hebrew Israelites and of Minister Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam leader who last year referenced “Satanic Jews” in a speech denying allegations of anti-Semitism. But Haynes took a more nuanced view.

“The danger is that those groups get confused with other self-identified Israelites like (Rabbi) Capers Funnye, who has a congregation in Chicago, and who is very much involved with the Ashkenazim Jewish community. So I want to make clear that the term 'Israelites' is a tricky term,” he said.

“Is it anti-Semitic to say Black people are the real Israelites or the real Jews? I’m not sure I’d call it anti-Semitism,” Haynes said. “It’s not a good reading of history, but I wouldn’t call it anti-Semitism. On the other hand, some of those groups that call Jews impostors certainly cross the line."

Until his firing, Cannon produced “Wild ’n Out,” a comedy improv series for VH1, the ViacomCBS-owned cable channel.

In a Facebook post, he said he welcomes being held accountable and takes responsibility for his words, while also accusing the company of trying to silence an “outspoken black man” and demanding full ownership of the “Wild ’n Out” brand.

“I do not condone hate speech nor the spread of hateful rhetoric. ... The Black and Jewish communities have both faced enormous hatred, oppression persecution and prejudice for thousands of years and in many ways have and will continue to work together to overcome these obstacles,” he wrote.

Cooper said that Cannon should reject Farrakhan’s hate speech and “reduce the long statement to two sentences” — a simple apology.

“First of all, apologizing to the Jewish community for questioning our identity,” Cooper said. “It’s simply outrageous ... and that’s not too much to ask for someone who says that he’s not a bigot.

https://abc3340.com/news/entertainment/jewish-leaders-condemn-hurtful-words-by-nick-cannon

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Oh, the double-standards:

Quote:
Charlamagne Tha God Says Nick Cannon Was Fired Because Jews ‘Have the Power

Mairead McArdle
National ReviewJuly 16, 2020, 2:47 PM

Radio host Charlamagne tha God said Wednesday that he believes Nick Cannon was fired by ViacomCBS because Jewish people “have the power” in the media landscape.

“Listen, Nick is my guy. I hate it had to be him, but that’s what you can do when you have the power. And if there’s one thing Jewish people have showed us, it’s they have the power,” he said during Wednesday’s broadcast of the radio show The Breakfast Club. “I can’t wait until the day black people are able to fire people for saying things about us that we deem racist. We can barely get cops fired for actually killing us!”

ViacomCBS canceled Cannon’s contract after the actor and television host “failed to acknowledge or apologize for perpetuating anti-Semitism” on an episode of his podcast, Cannon’s Class, which was recorded last year but reposted by Cannon last week. During the episode, which included an interview with Richard Griffin of the hip hop group “Public Enemy,” Cannon praised Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan and riffed on conspiracy theories about Jewish people and “centralized banking, the bloodlines that control everything — even outside of America.” He also said that he could not be anti-Semitic since black people are the real Semitic people.

Griffin, known as Professor Griff, was ousted from Public Enemy in 1989 after making several anti-Semitic remarks, including calling Jews “wicked.”

After the backlash over his remarks, Cannon excoriated ViacomCBS, which produced Cannon’s “Wild ‘n Out” comedy show on MTV, in a Twitter thread.

“I will not be bullied, silenced, or continuously oppressed by any organization, group, or corporation,” Cannon said. “I am disappointed that Viacom does not understand or respect the power of the black community.”

Cannon also offered an apology of sorts in which he said he has no “malice” “or “hate in my heart” and invited his critics to “hold me accountable,” adding that, “Black and Jewish communities have both faced enormous hatred, oppression, persecution and prejudice for thousands of years.”

“In today’s conversation about anti-racism and social justice, I think we all ⁠— including myself ⁠— must continue educating one another and embrace uncomfortable conversations ⁠— it’s the only way we ALL get better,” Cannon said. “I encourage more healthy dialogue and welcome any experts, clergy, or spokespersons to any of my platforms to hold me accountable and correct me in any statement that I’ve made that has been projected as negative.”

Despite the controversy, Cannon will keep his job as host of Fox’s “The Masked Singer,” Fox announced, saying the network “immediately began a dialogue” with Cannon after it was made aware of his remarks.

“He is clear and remorseful that his words were wrong and lacked both understanding and context, and inadvertently promoted hate. This was important for us to observe. Nick has sincerely apologized, and quickly taken steps to educate himself and make amends,” Fox said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlamagne-tha-god-says-nick-184715407.html

Legend
Legend
I would just remind every human being everywhere that all human being are 99.9% identical on the genetic (DNA) level.

When we look down on someone else, we are really looking down on everyone, because we are really all the same.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't believe in discriminating against any group. I think we should judge individuals as individuals.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I was disappointed that Nick Cannon doubled down on his statements and blamed Viacom.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

There are idiots everywhere. Nobody has the market cornered.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
[quote]A series of tweets and statements have raised questions about veins of anti-Semitism and silence in the NBA

sdavis@businessinsider.com (Scott Davis)

INSIDERJuly 19, 2020, 9:11 AM

Several former and current players NBA players have recently made anti-Semitic statements or supported those who have.

Much of the NBA community has responded to those statements with silence, which was particularly notable to fans after players' strong vocal support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

A series of anti-Semitic incidents have embroiled the NBA community over the last month.

A few weeks ago, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson posted anti-Semitic content on Instagram that included a quote misattributed to Adolf Hitler saying Jewish people "extort" and "blackmail" America in their plan for "world domination."

Then former NBA player Stephen Jackson expressed support for DeSean Jackson, saying he was "speaking the truth." Stephen Jackson later doubled down, suggesting that Jewish people own all the banks.
Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson posted anti-Semitic content on Instagram.
Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson posted anti-Semitic content on Instagram.

Stephen Jackson later apologized for using the "wrong words," but critics felt the former player had already eroded the work he did in advocating for police reform after the death of George Floyd, a close friend of Jackson's.

"It undermines everything Stephen Jackson said so eloquently on behalf of Black Lives Matter," ESPN's Michael Wilbon said on "Pardon The Interruption." "He has no credibility now."

Current players J.R. Smith and Kevin Durant both liked Stephen Jackson's posts on Instagram, including the video in which he defended DeSean Jackson.

Then this week, former NBA guard Dwyane Wade stepped into the middle of controversy by expressing support for Nick Cannon, the TV host who was dropped from Viacom after making anti-Semitic comments on his podcast.

"We are with you," Wade tweeted to Cannon, with an emoji of a Black fist. "Keep leading."

Wade deleted the tweet after facing backlash online, saying he just thought Cannon should own "the content and brand he helped create" but doesn't support hate speech.

The same day, former NBA player Allen Iverson posted a picture with Louis Farrakhan, the leader of the Nation of Islam, who has been deemed anti-Semitic by the Anti-Defamation League. (Both Stephen Jackson and DeSean Jackson have also expressed support for Farrakhan; Stephen Jackson commented, "Love u bro" to Iverson. )

The incidents, though varied in nature and intent, have raised questions about possible underground veins of anti-Semitism in the NBA — or perhaps simply an indifference to the issue.

The aftermath of these statements stands in stark contrast to NBA players' resounding response to the death of George Floyd and vocal involvement in the Black Lives Matter movement. That juxtaposition has led some basketball fans to wonder why calls to denounce anti-Semitism have gone mostly unanswered in the NBA.
Silence from the NBA community

Outrage and a slew of statements condemning hate speech would normally be expected following anti-Semitic incidents. But NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote in The Hollywood Reporter that the absence of such responses — what he called a "lack of massive indignation" — highlighted a problem in the sports world.

"Recent incidents of anti-Semitic tweets and posts from sports and entertainment celebrities are a very troubling omen for the future of the Black Lives Matter movement, but so too is the shocking lack of massive indignation," Abdul-Jabbar wrote. "Given the New Woke-fulness in Hollywood and the sports world, we expected more passionate public outrage. What we got was a shrug of meh-rage."

A few prominent voices have spoken out about DeSean and Stephen Jackson's comments: Boston Celtics players Enes Kanter and Jaylen Brown both suggested that players should educate themselves on issues before speaking. And New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman (who is Jewish) and Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Zach Banner both responded to anti-Semitic statements, too.

But that paled in comparison to the response Drew Brees got when he said it was disrespectful to kneel during the national anthem, after which athletes across the NFL and NBA pointed out problems with the statement.
LeBron James and Stephen Jackson at a Big 3 game in 2019.
LeBron James and Stephen Jackson at a Big 3 game in 2019.

LeBron James' silence is particularly notable this month, since he was criticized in 2018 for quoting lyrics from 21 Savage's song "ASMR" on his Instagram story, writing: "We been getting that Jewish money, Everything is Kosher."

James later apologized, saying he didn't realize the lyrics were offensive and perpetuated Jewish stereotypes.

James is friends with Dwyane Wade and was also in communication with Stephen Jackson following the death of Floyd — James offered support when Jackson protested in Minneapolis. But he did not speak up publicly following their recent comments.

The NBA as a league is in a precarious place over these incidents. The Philadelphia Eagle issued a statement on DeSean Jackson's posts, calling them "appalling." But because Wade and Stephen Jackson are former players, issuing a statement on their comments risks creating a standard of commenting on anything a former player says.

There is precedent when it comes to former players, however. As The Athletic noted, the NBA banned Tim Hardaway from the 2007 All-Star Game after Hardaway made homophobic comments. However, Hardaway was scheduled to take part in league-sponsored events.

The NBA did not respond to a request for comment for this story.
'They are a minority as well'

In his response to DeSean Jackson's posts, Banner said he thinks some members of the Black community can occasionally be naive about anti-Semitism.

"There's a common misbelief that among Black and Brown people ... that Jewish people are just like any other white race. You know, you mix them up with the rest of the majority and you don't understand that they are a minority as well," Banner said.

He added: "We need to understand that Jewish people deal with the same amount of hate and similar hardships and hard times ... When we talk about Black Lives Matter and talk about elevating ourselves, we can't do that while stepping on the back of other people to elevate ourselves."

The Atlantic's Jemele Hill also described a trepidation in the Black community about speaking up about anti-Semitism for fear it will hurt the Black Lives Matter movement.

"At a time when there is an understandable focus on how Black Americans bear the brunt of systemic oppression and police brutality, some commentators believe that people are afraid to rebuke Jackson, because it may hurt the movement," Hill wrote, adding, "Black people's fight for their humanity is unrelated to Jackson's error, but they must use their own racial experiences to foster empathy for others."

In his recent piece, Jabbar wrote that no form of discrimination should be tolerated.

"If we're going to be outraged by injustice," he said, "let's be outraged by injustice against anyone."[

https://www.yahoo.com/news/series-tweets-statements-raised-questions-131100537.html

/quote]

Once again, athletes, the media, and many folks destroyed Drew Brees because he honors the flag, but remain silent when others make racial comments about another group of people .

Losing credibility.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
The Disturbing Rise of Anti-Semitism Among Black Celebs

Cassie da Costa
The Daily BeastJuly 15, 2020, 11:01 PM

Often, we discuss conspiracy theories as if they are kooky yet benign tales spun by our neighbors, acquaintances, and even friends. But in America’s current political and cultural configuration, prejudice combined with ignorance often masquerades as legitimate thought and leads to devastating outcomes (just see how Floridian COVID-19 deniers are doing now). And in a society marked by incessant high-speed information and spin, anecdotal and instinctual bias becomes the basis of bad-faith arguments about free speech and a “marketplace of ideas.” As much as social media has brought us smart thinking by typically marginalized voices, it’s also allowed careless people with big platforms to speak more loudly—and without the immediate intervention of the wiser and better-informed people who may (or may not) surround them.

Recently, big-name Black entertainers like Ice Cube, Nick Cannon, Diddy, the Jacksons (Stephen and DeSean), and even beloved Black author Alice Walker, have spouted age-old anti-Semitic talking points—usually by quoting known bigot Louis Farrakhan—insisting that “the Jews” run everything, and locating Black liberation in anti-Jewish suspicion.

On his podcast, Cannon spoke to fellow anti-Semitic conspiracist Professor Griff, formerly of Public Enemy (he was kicked out of the group for his anti-Jewishness, specifically for calling Jews “wicked”), agreeing with Griff’s racist view that Jewish people control media and claiming that “Semitic people are Black people” so Black people cannot be anti-Semitic. After Cannon was dropped by ViacomCBS for his comments, Diddy then took to Instagram and invited Cannon to his network RevoltTV. On July 4th, Diddy’s RevoltTV broadcast a speech by Farrakhan—a man who has praised Hitler and repeatedly calls Jews “Satanic”—worldwide, and also shared a Farrakhan video on Twitter in which the Nation of Islam leader called the Jewish head of the Anti-Defamation League, Jonathan Greenblatt, “Satan” and claimed that “those of you that say you are the Jews, I will not even give you the honor of calling you a Jew. You are not a Jew. You are Satan, and it is my job now to pull the cover off of Satan so that every Muslim when he sees Satan, pick up a stone, as we do in Mecca.”

Ice Cube’s Long, Disturbing History of Anti-Semitism

Hollywood Celebs Are Praising an Anti-Semitic Hatemonger

The rapper and actor Ice Cube, for his part, has shared a series of anti-Semitic memes, and even lobbed an anti-Semitic trope at Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for denouncing anti-Semitism in a Hollywood Reporter op-ed, accusing him of accepting “30 pieces of silver” in exchange for the column.

It’s difficult to make sense of the smoke-and-mirrors anti-Semitism that emanates from Farrakhan, who feels he gets to decide who the real Jews are and then leverages any critique amongst Jewish-led institutions he doesn’t like on the basis of a Jewish identity he refuses to recognize. This is not too different from the “criminals” Trump claims are crossing the border from Mexico in droves—demonizing characterizations and willful erasure allow racist ideas to haphazardly take the form of concern. In the same way, Cannon denies that what he is saying is anti-Semitic because the only Semitic people he recognizes are Black people.

What’s more is that the crafted incoherence of these ideas make them easy to gloss over or outright ignore. Anti-Black and anti-Jewish racism are not interchangeable realities, but they are related and feed upon each other, undermining the liberation of Black and Jewish people (and, of course, Black Jewish people) alike. Like anti-Black racism, anti-Jewish racism cannot have a place in any legitimate anti-racist liberation movement, yet unfortunately, like with anti-Black racism, those who spout anti-Jewish ideas refuse to acknowledge their prejudice, instead qualifying their hateful words with claims to good intentions.

It’s easy to center the self, particularly when the self can serve as an avatar for an entire diaspora. But part of freedom work means imagining well outside of and beyond the self, persistently being in community with others committed to similar work. When Black celebrities claim that their anti-Semitism is actually a “pro-Black” stance, they assert that the only possible form of liberation for Black people is through creating our own “Other.” There is a huge difference between critiquing whiteness—a racist fabrication with undeniable social consequences—and denigrating Jewishness. Anti-Black racism (as well as anti-Arab racism) as practiced by Jewish institutions and individuals ought to be critiqued where observed, but on the basis of white assimilation and imperialism, not on the basis of Jewish identity. Scapegoating Jewish people—rather than challenging harmful institutions formed and led by people of any identity—plays directly by the facist rulebook.

But conspiracy theories often serve as a salve to incurious and unresilient people, even as the greatest conspiracy of all—racism—hides in plain sight. And it finds its way to even those of us directly harmed by its systemic manifestations. Like anti-Black and transphobic violence, anti-Semitic hate crimes have undeniably been on the rise since Trump’s inauguration. A viable counter to the bad and dangerous ideas that fuel this violence is deeper and more rigorous reading; rather than latching onto charismatic figures and cultural idols, we ought to get used to researching beyond YouTube videos, Google-able quotes, and Instagram reading lists. We need to engage less in forums filled with fearful people and step out into spaces of accountability and vulnerability. What would it mean to invest in a liberation movement that isn’t ego-driven or self-centering, but expansive and legion-gathering? How do we state our commitment to Black liberation without falling back on lazy and harmful thinking? Perhaps we still look to confused people like Ice Cube and Diddy because so many of us have refused to read, share, and discuss the vital work of critical thinkers like Angela Davis and Noel Ignatiev.

So, it is terrible when it happens to you and you can riot, loot, and attack others.........but when you do it to another minority group.........it's righteous?

You are hurting your own cause when you fight hate w/hate.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is another Woke vs. Racist agreeing with each other.

Deshean Jackson - these people are bad based on their race.
KKK - These people are bad based on their race.

How can you not see that before you post something like this?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Here is another Woke vs. Racist agreeing with each other.

Deshean Jackson - these people are bad based on their race.
KKK - These people are bad based on their race.

How can you not see that before you post something like this?

People rarely see their own flaws and faults. Critical self examination is a lost skill in today's world.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Kareem and Charles Barkley have recently addressed those who are sending anti-Semantic messages. I will post Barkley's comments, but just provide a link because Stephen Jackson's comments contain a lot of profanity. The article doesn't actually say the words, but they use the first letter and it's hard not to see the masked profanity.

I decided to post this because I have been preaching a similar message to what Barkley is saying for years.

Quote:
Listen, DeSean Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Nick Cannon, Ice Cube. Man, what the hell are y’all doing? Y’all want racial equality. We all do. I don’t understand how insulting another group helps our cause. And the only person who called y’all on it was Kareem. We can’t allow Black people to be prejudiced, also. Especially if we’re asking for white folks to respect us, give us economic opportunity and things like that. I’m so disappointed in these men. I don’t understand how you beat hatred with more hatred. That stuff should never come up in your vocabulary, and it should never come up in your heart. I don’t understand it. I’m never gonna accept it. And I’m asking you guys. I’m begging you guys, man. You guys are famous. You’ve got a platform. We’ve got to do better, man. I want allies. I don’t want to alienate anybody. And to take shots at the Jewish race, the white race, I just don’t like it because it’s not right. And I had to call them on it because it’s really — it’s really been on my heart

You can read the entire article here: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/called-anti-semitism-stephen-jackson-171514806.html

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
No, you will just lie, attack, and slander. You have no problem w/Swish posting an article about a white guy using a BB gun in the Come Together thread. You also had no problem w/him saying things about me and Bull supporting the KKK and being good w/black people being murdered. Yet, you trash me multiple times daily.

Another thing, when I asked that Milk not post so many articles that would divide us, you jumped in and said we had to bring attention to the injustices. Yet, here you are.........trashing me for bringing attention to blacks supporting Hitler and promoting Antisemitism.

You guys disgust me. And I guarantee you that you are disgusting a whole lot of folks who won't say a word, but their vote might say more.

Keep fighting hate w/hate.

tsktsk

There you go again calling truth, hate just to try and silence the truth. It won't work.

How many black people have shot Jews in their Synagogues? How many blacks have marched with assault rifles yelling "Jews will not replace me!"? How many black people have been members of organizations like the KKK who have committed violence and hatred against the Jews for generations? How many blacks fly the Nazi flag?

Once again i will state, you only posted this to stir up trouble. You only posted it to bring attention to the exception to the rule rather than the rule itself.

Your tactics won't work. If you want to see what hate looks like, read that post of yours I just quoted.

You mean like this?

Once again, certain posters are trying to sweep the alt left under the rug. Not sure how you can do that here, though.

We have multiple celebrities using their "platform" to promote the values of a certified hate group, the Black Hebrew Israelites. How is this not a major problem again?

This would be akin to Ryan Seacrest saying that he believes in the ideals of the KKK.

If we have celebrities who are willing to say they believe the same ideals as a certified hate group, how many more people also believe in them?

Title of the thread should be "DeSean Jackson and Stephen Jackson Support Black Hebrew Israelites."

Last edited by OrangeCrush; 07/27/20 08:37 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... DeSean Jackson and Stephen Jackson Support Anti-Semitism

Link Copied to Clipboard