Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
The biggest problem with Mayfield is he can't read Zone Defense.

Most of Mayfields rookie success was based on 1 read throws. It seems if that read isn't open he struggles, and zone defense is good for taking those 1st read options away.

From what I can gather, it doesn't appear Mayfield thinks he needs any help. He says he knows exactly what he needs to do, etc, etc...

I think Keenum will be playing this year sooner rather than later...you don't sign a guy to that kinda money to be a backup. also, Keenun has a 90+ QBR in 2 of the last 3 years, which puts him in the "above average" QB category. It should be Baker should being the one having to beat him out for the job, not the other way around.

We would probably win more games with Keenum as QB...his 2017 season is what he can do with talent around him, Keenum will get Beckham and Landry the ball i assure you...but i fully expect to be stuck with Mayfield's trash for a few weeks if we have a season.

Look, I get not wanting to look/sound like a "Baker's #1 Fan", but this is just as ridiculous in the other direction. I mean... the whole "Baker's gonna fail but we're good 'cause we got Case Keenum" is just... do you even think about this before you read it?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Can you pull up some plays to illustrate your assertions?

Greg Cosell made a point in his analysis of all his snaps that he can not think of times where Mayfield threw to the wrong person.

He placed the blame on other factors.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The biggest problem with Mayfield is he can't read Zone Defense.

Most of Mayfields rookie success was based on 1 read throws. It seems if that read isn't open he struggles, and zone defense is good for taking those 1st read options away.

i believe in his second season that was amplified because he was told to stay in the pocket and not improvise..

A good zone does well against the initial route. If the QB leaves the pocket and those routes break down, and the defenders are supposed to be looking back, it's very hard for a zone to know where everybody is.... As he improves on learning to read zones, I think he needs more freedom to get out of the pocket..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield: Footwork Tweaks from Alex Van Pelt Could Pay Off
ByJAKE BURNS

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...-Off-149748767/

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/01/20 07:41 AM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks....good read.

It looks like Baker dropped 10 or so lbs. He is looking pretty lean.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's very noticeable. Hope the coaching has a similar positive impact.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Baker has always been known as a "twitchy" guy. Meaning quick fast twitch muscles.

I don't think he will have a problem picking this up. Hitters in baseball make slight adjustments all the time in their swing.

It is way different adjusting footwork versus throwing motion. Like teaching Tebow how to throw.

When I first watched Lamar in college. I broke his tape down. My impression was this guy will not be able to throw accurately from the pocket. His throwing platform was way to upright and his feet were narrow. His numbers reflected that. He was very inconsistent.

His transformation was amazing. He has not mastered his pocket throws. But he has made dramatic improvements.

Baker is fundamentally sound mechanically for the most part. His arm slot and release are really good. Weight transfer and hip rotation solid. Where he is sloppy is his feet. At times he does not line up in balance. When you do that or are late; you arm throw. Guys with strong arms often are guilty of doing that. They can get over confident in their arms. What happens when you do that is your arm trails. Your motion is working against your feet. It causes a high wide throw.

In baseball pitching mechanics for a right handed pitcher: If his landing step is open the same thing happens.

When Baker is right and throws in balance it is a beautiful thing. He has all the tools to be very good. It is a constant process of muscle memory.

I expect Van Pelt to stay on Baker unlike Ryan Lindley. Lindley was just promoted to be a qb coach. Not sure if he had the confidence of experience.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Greg Cosell on Baker and the Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard