Next Thread
Print Thread
#1789678 09/09/20 08:16 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I shared awhile ago that my daughter is engaged. Due to the virus, they did not set the date right away. They have now decided on May 15th of 2021. The ceremony and reception will be at the yacht club of our family-owned condo on the SC coast. The wedding itself is going to be pretty casual. My daughter doesn't like fancy. As a result, the groom is just going to wear a suit instead of a tux. I'm going to purchase a new suit to fit the colors of the wedding. I haven't bought a suit in quite some time.

Here is where you guys come in. I am willing to spend money on the suit. Good money. Nothing outrageous, but my wife and daughter want me to get a quality suit. I can choose navy as a color, so I will be able to wear it to more somber occasions, as well. They want me to get a fitted suit and not one off the rack. Do you guys know where the best places are to purchase a high-quality, fitted suit? I was online last night and searching and the range in prices and reviews was crazy. Thus, I need help.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I had the same issue when my son got married. I was 'requested' to wear a black suit. Keep in mind, I don't wear suits.

But, we have a little store here in town. Went, they hooked me up. Not Lebron style, mind you. But not off the rack, per se. It's a clothing store, and it was off the rack, but tailored, by them, for me. They even altered it for me, after they altered it. (at the first fitting)

That doesn't help you, I know.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
How much did it cost, arch?

Not trying to be nosy, but the wide range of prices I saw last night through me for a loop.

A
Legend
Legend
A
It was affordable, that's all I'll say. Some would say too much, considering I've worn it once, some would say not enough......but they would be prudes. I wore it amongst a millionaire, and by the same token, young people that act like they're millionaires.

Some people get caught up in designer names........like it makes them something special?

I got a tailor fit suit that was more than I wanted to spend, but wasn't crazy in price.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I needed a suit 4 years ago when my dad passed and like Arch I went to a local Men's shop. They pulled a few different jackets off the rack and after picking out what I liked they tailored it to my fit and the suit, a couple of dress shirts, and a new pair of dress shoes cost me about $600.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #1789696 09/09/20 08:46 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks. I'm hoping to spend $1,000 or less. Not sure it is possible for what my wife and daughter want me to wear...

dawg66 #1789713 09/09/20 09:34 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
I needed a suit 4 years ago when my dad passed and like Arch I went to a local Men's shop. They pulled a few different jackets off the rack and after picking out what I liked they tailored it to my fit and the suit, a couple of dress shirts, and a new pair of dress shoes cost me about $600.

This is what I've done... I don't a suit per se but have bought some sports jackets and have done this... found one off the rack I liked and then they tailored it to fit... I personally like Nordstroms (little pricey) and Brooks Brothers... I get most of my nice/work clothes from Brooks

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I had two custom tailored suits made about 20 years ago. They fit like a glove but even then they were a little over $500 each. Rack suits by comparison were $100 - $200 plus modification. I can't imagine what a custom suit runs now, but would guess that $1000 would be rock bottom if you can even get one for that.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
If you have a Tom James Company clothier near you go there.

They'll have what you're looking for.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I was pretty happy with 2 tailored suits I got at Mens Wearhouse a few years back. I ended up spending about $600 for the 2 suits and a couple dress shirts. I had dreaded the whole experience, but the store personnel were very professional, and the measurements were done by an actual tailor. I was in and out in about 45 minutes, and picked up the suits a week later. They fit great, and I'm not an easy fit

O
Legend
Legend
O
When I need a suit, I first find a good tailor in the area. Then I go to Brooks Brothers. I love their stuff, and their jackets are top-notch. Then go straight to the tailor and let them do their thing.

For one stop shop, go to Nordstrom's. You'll pay a premium, but they're great and can do it all.

Between now and the wedding, you have time to wait for a good sale. Pounce on that when the opportunity presents.

$1k should get you a pretty decent suit, I think. If you're struggling to justify dropping that type of coin, get something that is flexible (can be worn for many occasions). A charcoal-colored suit looks good everywhere. A high-quality suit that can be pulled out of the closet for a long time is worth it (IMO). Since the wedding is real casual, you could also look into just getting a blazer and then going from there for the rest of the get-up. You can spend more on the jacket for a higher-quality, and a blazer can be worn with damn near anything (dressed up or dressed down).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
My son's wedding (which was postponed due to COVID) had me wearing a "little lighter than navy" suit with brown shoes. I know that's what people are doing, but I'm not a fan of that look. I'm renting, not buying something I'll never wear again. The wedding will be next summer, so I've got a little time to change their mind.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
I second Men's Warehouse.

I've gotten 4 suits over the years from them, and usually when they have the 2 for $500 or something sales. And they will tailor them to fit.

Reminds me, I need to have the slacks let out a bit before the next usage. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
If you're patient, go to some of the nice department stores after Christmas. I got a nice black $800 suit for $300 in an after Christmas sale at Nordstrom's this past year.

I did the same thing a year earlier with a navy suit. I got the jacket to wear as a blazer with jeans for a post New Years work party, got a lot of compliments on it, so I went back to Nordstrom's the next day to buy the matching pants. Again, fraction of the cost.

I'm sure they'll have $1200 suits for $800 or something like that.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I wore a rented tux for both of my kids weddings, along with my bright orange cleveland browns sneakers, and bright orange socks. I don't own a suit anymore, or dress shoes, or dress pants, or dockers. I wear jeans to weddings, funerals, church, or anywhere else.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1789918 09/10/20 02:47 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
You and I would get along just fine. Shorts to church from March til November. Jeans the rest of the year.

I DID buy a black suit for my son's wedding, as that was his request. Bought a suit, thinking maybe sometime later I would wear it/need it. Hasn't happened yet.

GMdawg #1789919 09/10/20 02:48 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I wore a rented tux for both of my kids weddings, along with my bright orange cleveland browns sneakers, and bright orange socks. I don't own a suit anymore, or dress shoes, or dress pants, or dockers. I wear jeans to weddings, funerals, church, or anywhere else.

haha, most daytime weddings down here, shorts, flip flips, and a button up casual shirt is acceptable wedding attire.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Spend the weekend reading at this web site for your education:
https://atailoredsuit.com/

Then go here to make your purchase:
https://www.josbank.com/

When I leave the house in one of these suits, people have to socially distance themselves to keep from getting sliced to ribbons, I look so sharp. Prices are super correct, too.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's amazing how much of life, how many times can be referenced in the movie "My cousin Vinny" The judge doesn't like his leather jacket, so he has to get a suit that gets ruined, then he has to get a crazy suit because the store has the flu.

I suggest if you can't find decent quality locally you may have to search out of town, either by shipping or traveling. The month of May is far enough out to allow for this.

If you don't like the way you look, don't settle.

Clemdawg #1789982 09/10/20 06:10 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
When I leave the house in one of these suits, people have to socially distance themselves to keep from getting sliced to ribbons, I look so sharp.

rofl

Clemdawg #1789989 09/10/20 06:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

When I leave the house in one of these suits, people have to socially distance themselves to keep from getting sliced to ribbons, I look so sharp. Prices are super correct, too.

Sometimes I have to socially distance myself from people whose notes are too sharp. tongue

On the suit topic, I got my last suit from a Men's Wearhouse, and it's worked out well. Admittedly, I got a big discount through an honor society partnership, so I didn't shop around too hard. I walked in, they measured me up and gave me suggestions. I picked one and they marked it to tailor it up. Picked it up a little while later. No muss, no fuss.

I'm guessing a lot of the chains depend on the people working in the particular one you go to. The older guy who helped me out seemed knowledgeable and personable.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I always use the same local tailor for the last 35-40 years.

I would suggest you find one in your area. That way you get the custom service. It can be a coat and slacks off the rack. Tailors buy different cut suit then do day a department store.

Department stores buy more or less ready to wear except maybe bringing up the cuffs and pants a bit.

A custom tailor buys a tailor cut that has more material in most of the seams that allow them to take in or let out the jacket the the back and shoulders as well as length. Same with slacks. There is usually room to take the waist in, raise the seat so you don't have droopy ass, as well as the normal adjustments, like do you want the pants to just touch or do you want some fold. They will tell you what you need.

Go down to the yacht club and ask those boys where they buy their clothes. They will let you know who is good and who isn't.

Pick up a nick silk pocket square. Practice a few different folds. Add some color and pizzazz to that outfit.

For a slightly informal look which you said it was, I like a rose fold. You can you tube all kinds of folds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1790085 09/11/20 09:30 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
If I had the opportunity to accessorize, I would. I simply don't wear suits enough. I'm an engineer for a startup... so my 'uniform' is jeans and a polo. If I come in with jeans and a button up, I get a bunch of "whoa, what do you have planned today?".

That's why I have a strong preference (in terms of spending money) on the old-school, tried-and-true looks. Navy blazer with whatever and a 2-button charcoal suit will never go out of style, and is flexible in terms of shirt/tie colors.

If my career and/or social life ascends to a level where my closet needs to radically change, then I have no doubt I'll feel differently.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Bull_Dawg #1790253 09/11/20 03:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Sometimes I have to socially distance myself from people whose notes are too sharp. tongue

I tell my students all the time: "When crossing the street always remember to C sharp... or you will B flat."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1790255 09/11/20 03:05 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
FACE palm.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Men's Suits

Link Copied to Clipboard