Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker is awful. It is known throughout the fanbase and amongst the football world. If there was ever any doubt that doubt is now gone. Because he's awful and doesn't know what he's doing of course he's leading receivers out of bounds, throwing behind them, etc.

And to answer the other question you've been asking, we all know this team would look and perform much better with Keenum. He knows what he's doing. The issue is he's not dynamic enough to win with long term. And no guarantee he would win short term either.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was a Baker believer until midway through last year when he seemed to be regressing and seemed to be more focused on his image.

At this point it’s pretty safe to say (in my opinion) that he sucks and we’ll be moving on from him soon enough. If you can’t read a defense post-snap, you’re limiting the offense too greatly ... the book is out on him and everyone knows he’s garbage.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
A game plan with execution.

that’s what we’ll see from the Bengals.

I have a bad feeling about this one folks. Hope I’m wrong.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
O
Legend
Legend
O
While the defense that we played shares some of the responsibility, I'm sure... ball placement has historically been an issue.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If we lose this one the season is over! thumbsup willynilly

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
If we lose this one the season is over! thumbsup willynilly

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am curious as to why people think the Brown's YAC was so low?

IT WAS MAYFIELD'S FAULT...

...right, ME AGENDA?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
While the defense that we played shares some of the responsibility, I'm sure... ball placement has historically been an issue.

...define historically.

It was one of his positives at Oklahoma.

He's had new HCs and schemes every year in the NFL. This year he had a new scheme and limited practice with no preseason.

It's hard to be on the same page with receivers when you're doing things for the first time.

Edit: "First time" can sound a bit of an oversimplification. But, it was their first time running these plays at game speed. First time seeing these plays against certain looks on D. "Knowing" how someone will adjust his routes against an unfamiliar look isn't easy.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 09/16/20 10:07 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought ball placement went hand-in-hand with throwing accuracy. An inaccurate QB is simply always going to have issues with ball placement.

Watching the games, I thought Mayfield was spotty with ball placement in his rookie year. He'd have good and bad runs with this, much like other parts of his game. Last year, I thought his ball placement was mostly negative (again, along with a lot of his overall game).

Thinking about it more, I'm sure timing and familiarity with his receivers plays a role. I just didn't think it was that much.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It would make me feel better if our PK hits a straight down the middle between the uprights extra point on the first TD of the game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought ball placement went hand-in-hand with throwing accuracy. An inaccurate QB is simply always going to have issues with ball placement.

Watching the games, I thought Mayfield was spotty with ball placement in his rookie year. He'd have good and bad runs with this, much like other parts of his game. Last year, I thought his ball placement was mostly negative (again, along with a lot of his overall game).

Thinking about it more, I'm sure timing and familiarity with his receivers plays a role. I just didn't think it was that much.

It can play a big role. For example, a throw "behind" a receiver could actually have been where Baker wanted to throw it because he expected his receiver to sit down at the hole in zone coverage.

Deep throws can also be difficult because it's hard to predict how much a receiver will get jostled, and how much that "incedental" contact will slow the receiver down.

Even the low throw over the middle that OBJ couldn't corral last week could have been placed low to try to protect OBJ.

Baker did have some inaccurate, loose spirals. However, it's hard to know how accurate some of his passes were without knowing where he was trying to throw them. It's not an instantaneous process. Anticipation is required, and if the receiver doesn't do what he anticipates, it can look inaccurate while going exactly where he was trying to throw it.

I'm not saying this was always the case against Baltimore, it definitely wasn't. But, it's one of the reasons coaches say they have to look at the film. It's another layer you have to try to take into account.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Moving the Team Facility's out of Berea : There is diffidently some thing wrong with the water !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am curious as to why people think the Brown's YAC was so low?

IT WAS MAYFIELD'S FAULT...

...right, ME AGENDA?

And you still haven't said anything.

Why don't you at least make some kind of attempt to explain your thinking and reasoning?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
After having a few days to distance myself from the dismal display Sunday, I find myself coming back around to what I predicted weeks ago: that we'd seem like a misfiring engine. We definitely did.

I think that, to a large degree, we are still installing and learning our offense. It looked and felt that way, too. I think the O looked pretty basic because it likely was just the basics. I don't think the team had enough time to do anything more than that; they were trying to teach a new offense and defense and also evaluate a brand new roster in one third the normal amount of time and without any of the work against another team you'd normally get.

So, I expect tomorrow night to also look very ugly and have plenty of misfires. I expect us to again look pretty basic with the exception that we may see some new wrinkles on things we did Sunday, but I don't think there will be some "night & day" difference, despite the lower competition level.

I think the competition will have plenty of its own misfires, it usually does, but they also have lots of new moving parts exasperating things same as us. Baltimore had the luxury of having the same coaches, systems, and core players for at least three years; that puts them light years ahead of a team like ours.... a talented roster simply isn't enough to overcome them.

So, in short... back to expecting misfires and sputtering. I'll still be on here espousing how crappy they are come Friday morning, however laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We made mistakes and Baltimore made us pay on just about all of them. I don't think Cinci will be nearly as deadly WHEN we make mistakes.

I would also hope that we look good against their offense. We have the talent up front.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
We made mistakes and Baltimore made us pay on just about all of them. I don't think Cinci will be nearly as deadly WHEN we make mistakes.

I would also hope that we look good against their offense. We have the talent up front.

I just want to watch the game and see improvement at this time ... man it burns every time I go to write a post and need or want to write "hope" - "expect" - "should" - "think" ..... Dang team and players and coaches need to show up n show us all.

We don't have to look like SB champs - we don't have to put up 40 points. We need to look like we have a freaking clue. We need to look like - even if we have a decimated LB core and the Safeties suck - like we have a plan and can coach and scheme to help cover some of the deficiencies and prep for a rookie QB.

I'm really looking forward to the game. I can't say why - because then I'd have to type one of those cursed words above.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/16/20 04:57 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Matchup to Watch: Browns pass rush vs. Joe Burrow

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/matchup-to-watch-browns-pass-rush-vs-joe-burrow

In Week 1, the Browns faced the reigning NFL MVP in Lamar Jackson and, despite pressuring him on 48.3 percent of his dropbacks — by far the highest percentage in the league — they were not able to slow down the Ravens offense.

This week, however, the Browns are facing No. 1 overall pick Joe Burrow in his second career start, and that kind of pressure could have much more of an effect on the Bengals passing game.

When under pressure by the Chargers in Week 1, Burrow completed just three of his 10 pass attempts (30 percent) for 31 yards and quarterback rating of 40.0. He was sacked three times in that game and was under duress on 17 of his 44 dropbacks, (38.6 percent). When Burrow was in a clean pocket, the rookie showed great prowess, completing 20-of-26 attempts (77 percent) for 162 yards and a quarterback rating near 80. His completion percentage from a clean pocket was 11th-best in the league Week 1, while his 30 percent completion rate when under pressure ranked in the bottom third of the league.

The Browns secondary is definitely depleted, and the Ravens were able to take advantage of that in Week 1. The Bengals have an excellent receiving quartet featuring A.J. Green, Tyler Boyd (back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons), John Ross and Tee Higgins. Given that Greedy Williams (shoulder) and Kevin Johnson (liver) could miss their second consecutive games, it is critical the Browns are able to disrupt Burrow in the pocket. It is even more important they are able to generate that pressure with their front four so they can deploy seven defenders in coverage.

In Week 1, the Browns defense pressured the quarterback on 14 of his 29 dropbacks, and the defensive line totaled 13 of the team's 16 total pressures (multiple players pressured the quarterback on two plays). Myles Garrett (five) led the way, while Sheldon Richardson and Olivier Vernon chipped in three pressures each. Larry Ogunjobi — who was Pro Football Focus's highest graded defensive lineman in Week 1 — and Adrian Clayborn each had one pressure against the Ravens, with Clayborn notching the lone sack for the defensive line.

The Bengals offensive line was graded as the fourth-worst pass blocking unit in the NFL in Week 1 by PFF and right tackle Bobby Hart allowed a league-high six pressures against the Chargers. Garrett, who rushed exclusively against the right tackle in Week 1, could have a monster game in primetime, as he and the defensive line will be counted on to dominate this game and disrupt Burrow.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’d like to see our vaunted pass rush in action. It surely wasn’t Sunday

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’d like to see our vaunted pass rush in action. It surely wasn’t Sunday

It was but we were playing against a transcendent talent.

V
Legend
Legend
V
My son and I commented on one of Lamar's skills during the game. He has done this repeatedly in the NFL. There is pressure in his face and it looks like he is about to be engulfed, and he bounces away from the pressure w/lightening speed, rolls out a bit to buy time, and finds an open receiver between the hashes. It's uncanny.

R
Legend
Legend
R
He also does this thing where puts on the breaks and they fly right by.

#topgun

V
Legend
Legend
V
He does. He is such an instinctual player.

What astounds me is how much he has improved his accuracy and his decision making. It's truly amazing.

Legend
Legend
What's crazy is the grace in which he does it, particularly when he's rolling out. Almost as graceful as Russell Wilson, savvy beyond his years. Russ will run exactly one split-second faster than his defender, use the geometry between defender and sideline like a mathematician, and wring out every possibility of space and time until he finds the perfect place to put the dagger in your heart... Lamar doesn't seem to be far behind.

Dude's gonna make me jump off the 480 bridge before it's all said and done.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL about the bridge.

Add Aaron Rodgers to the list. Dude throws off of crazy platforms on the freaking run.

Legend
Legend

A complete team win.

Special teams make contributions and not lose games.

The defense stop the run game and limit Mixon to under 80 yards. Sacks and constant pressure on Burrow.

Win the turnover and field position game.

Offense: Establish the run game and stay patient with that approach.

Be a play action team.

Baker needs to get the ball out quickly from play action. Be decisive. Do not play scared. Play confident.

Receivers run good routes. Gain separation and win matchups.

Runners just do your thing.

OL cover for each other and play as a unit.

Be the aggressor. Set the tone early by stopping Mixon.

Play to the strength of the team. Run the damn ball.

The defensive backfield needs to play tight. Know your responsibility.

Act like a winning team.

Legend
Legend
Also, can we please run some quick screen to the RBs? We do those WR screens that always seem to go nowhere, but seemed repulsed by the idea of getting either of our superstar RBs the ball in space.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
If for once they stop Mixon

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
If for once they stop Mixon
thats big

P
Legend
Legend
P
A WIN!!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
That made me feel a little better. But not all the way better. Not even close. I need another couple games like that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
That made me feel a little better. But not all the way better. Not even close. I need another couple games like that.
I’m with you here. I felt better about the offense, especially the way we looked (formations, shifting, usage of Chubb/Hunt, PA, etc). But I’m so wary of the defense. We seem to be extremely porous

O
Legend
Legend
O
We came away w/o any more major injuries. I think that's key. Let's get guys healthy.

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 35 Bengals 30 What Would Make You Feel Better

Link Copied to Clipboard