Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1753415 04/18/20 08:39 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The board I know is probably younger than I and enjoy video more than cardboard, plastic, paper and dice but are there any good old wargames or board gamers out there?

I've been at it since the Avalon Hill days and still enjoy a face to face gamers night or a good game with solo mechanics.

Recently, that's been "Fire in the Lake", or "Tank Duel", both pretty heavy hitters from GMT Games. Also been getting to the table often, "Warfighter WWII" or its modern day counterpart bt DVG Games.

Anybody left who enjoys a good (definitely not short) boardgame?

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 04/18/20 08:45 AM.
Legend
Legend
I enjoy a good game of chess.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I enjoy a good game of chess.

Somehow, in 6th grade, I became a chess fanatic and after that year I don't think I've ever played another game of chess...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
There was this board game called "Empire in Arms" -or something close - focusing on the Napoleonic Wars.

I played it one summer when I was home from college many years ago with four friends. This was when I used to drink, which made a very difficult game even harder.

It took the whole summer break.

Not a lot else going on that summer - a great board game though.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Monopoly

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Used to enjoy a "friendly" game of Risk every once in a while.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Risk has always been and forever will be a great game!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I love Risk! Also like Diplomacy - an up to 7 player game based on World War 1, Europe

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
If we're playing Trivial Pursuit, you want me on your team. I remember [bleep], I don't know why.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That's me too! If its important...I've probably forgotten it. Its BS, I remember it to the smallest detail!

A
Legend
Legend
A
A local winery has a 'trivia night' every 2 months or so. There is always a theme, but you don't know what it is until you get there. We've done very well, but of course, you win nothing other than bragging rights.

And they have rules, like, you have to put your team name on each answer card. I am not allowed to be the person that fills out the answer card anymore. It seems I've been forgetful?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
If we're playing Trivial Pursuit, you want me on your team. I remember [bleep], I don't know why.

Alex Trebek wants you!

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I pretty much remember everything. Sometimes (a lot of the time), I would rather I didn't.

Legend
Legend
I used to remember everything. Now I’m lucky to remember I used to remember everything.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
But, to your question: Yes, we've been playing board games. Pretty simple ones, but yes, we've been doing that, as well as card games.

Checkers? Only time I play checkers is with my nephew, and I haven't seen him in 2 months or so. (poor guy - turned 16 a month ago, but can't get his driver's license) - but he's kind of good at checkers. Too good for me.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'm hoping that this time of folks forced into staying home more makes people get back to enjoying simpler things. It seems we always need entertained rather than doing the things that we did in the 60's and 70's. It'd do this country alot of good to gear it down a bit. Relax and take some time to enjoy quiet times with a game or book or just some good old human interaction.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Risk has always been and forever will be a great game!

Was always my favorite as a kid, havent played in many years. Always loved electronic Battleship

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have always loved board games. Like others, I enjoy[ed] chess and Monopoly.

As a kid, I liked games like Chutes and Ladders, Sorry, Operation, Yahtzee, Dominoes, Battleship, etc.

As I got older, I liked games like Backgammon, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, Tripoly, Scrabble, etc.

Legend
Legend
Used to love them, just don't do it much anymore. Besides, my wife loves cards, so she's always bugging me to play. Once this virus started hitting hard, we dug out a few and picked up a few...

Grabbed this and it was a blast. Much quicker than the normal Monopoly and very well thought out. I figured it was a good way to get my politically motivated son involved - he loved it.

So, we're cleaning out the garage, basement, attic, workshop - and run across this:

Pretty fitting, I thought. Brand new, never played. Look it up on Amazon and Ebay and it seems it's a cult favorite and sells used for $50-100. One of the highest rated games I've seen on Amazon with people calling it the "greatest game ever". Pretty cool because it's a cooperative effort with all players vs the pandemic.

Looking forward to giving it a spin tonight!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Have any of you ever tried Onirim? I purchased it recently because I don't watch TV very much unless sports are on. I read the directions and wasn't quite clear on how to play. I can YouTube it, but was wondering if any of you know how to play the game? I like games that challenge you mentally.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
YouTube generally has a "playthrough" on nearly every game. I've learned nearly every newer game I have by watching different playthrough videos. It's tremendously helpful! Good luck!

Legend
Legend
I still have my 30+ year old Axis & Allies game up in my closet. Haven't played it in nearly 20 years, it seems. It's tough to get people to sit down for a board game that can take 12 hours and be at a stalemate, lol

Settlers of Catan is a game that I've enjoyed recently. A few folks in my office (when we have an office) are rabidly into board games; they attend cons and have a Thursday night group that takes over one of the conference rooms at the office for gaming. I've never joined them, but I've been tempted to, often.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I've worn out one A&A game over the years and still have a spare along with a number of other versions. D-DAY, Battle of the Bulge, etc. You normally have 4 hours in a 4 player game there. Lots of good times around that board!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I have been playing guess who with my son a lot during the quarantine. Little topic with the type, but I loved that game growing up.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Have any of you ever tried Onirim? I purchased it recently because I don't watch TV very much unless sports are on. I read the directions and wasn't quite clear on how to play. I can YouTube it, but was wondering if any of you know how to play the game? I like games that challenge you mentally.

i have onirim, pretty nice quick little solo game

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: FATE
Used to love them, just don't do it much anymore. Besides, my wife loves cards, so she's always bugging me to play. Once this virus started hitting hard, we dug out a few and picked up a few...

Grabbed this and it was a blast. Much quicker than the normal Monopoly and very well thought out. I figured it was a good way to get my politically motivated son involved - he loved it.

So, we're cleaning out the garage, basement, attic, workshop - and run across this:

Pretty fitting, I thought. Brand new, never played. Look it up on Amazon and Ebay and it seems it's a cult favorite and sells used for $50-100. One of the highest rated games I've seen on Amazon with people calling it the "greatest game ever". Pretty cool because it's a cooperative effort with all players vs the pandemic.

Looking forward to giving it a spin tonight!

Pandemic is an incredible game. There are a lot of things to remember, but all of it is easy stuff. The mechanic the game uses will drive you crazy, because things can get out of hand quickly. It's really fun though.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

It's hard, but that is a good thing.

S
Legend
Legend
S

It's hard, but that is a good thing.

and its not super long, a nice little brain challenge that maybe you can do between other stuff you are doing during your day

solo board games can be pretty fun, i actually bought a ww2 solo game on ebay, its about 30 years old and really really cool

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ambush?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I loved Stratego as a kid, haven't played it in forever. This thread made me miss it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Used to play that with my dad when I was a kid, sure do miss those times.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
S
Legend
Legend
S
Ambush?

yep that's the one. I scored it for almost nothing, and i expected some things to possibly be missing, but the game was 100% complete

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ambush?

yep that's the one. I scored it for almost nothing, and i expected some things to possibly be missing, but the game was 100% complete

I've got it and every module they made. It's a great solo game with great mechanics. Do a search sometime on what they sell for. I've probably got 800.00 worth of Ambush games!

S
Legend
Legend
S
Ambush?

I've got it and every module they made. It's a great solo game with great mechanics. Do a search sometime on what they sell for. I've probably got 800.00 worth of Ambush games!

that's awesome, i think boardgamegeek probably has a page on the game with all that stuff, im going to have to take a look

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not sure if anyone remembers HeroQuest from the late 80's early 90's.

Hasbro is trying to re-release the game, concept art looks amazing. I had this game plus several expansion packs growing up. The remake looks to hold true to the original except they had to change two monster characters because Games Workshop owns the rights. (Chaos Warrior are now Dread Warriors and Fimir's are now Abominations).

The game is like DnD but allows you to set up a game/quest and play it in an hour.

https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming Boardgamers aboard?

Link Copied to Clipboard