Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Obamas are 'most admired' man and woman in world: poll

Former President Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama now hold the top spots for most admired man and woman in the world in the British data firm YouGov’s annual poll released Tuesday.

Barack Obama ousted Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates from the most admired title for the first time since YouGov started conducting the survey in 2014. Gates now holds second place for most admired man, followed by Chinese President Xi Jinping in third.

Michelle Obama is ranked number one for women for the second year in a row. Angelina Jolie, who previously held the top spot, was ranked second in Tuesday’s survey, followed by Queen Elizabeth II.

According to YouGov, the 2020 study was the largest conducted thus far, with more than 45,000 people in 42 countries and territories surveyed.

The group said that it determines rankings based on respondents’ answers to two questions: whether the respondent admires the figure and if the respondent admires the specific figure most of all.

YouGov reported that Barack Obama’s rise to first place in the survey was accompanied by President Trump’s fall to 15th place. This comes as the former president and first lady have both criticized Trump for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, as well as his overall policy record.

In his address last month at the Democratic National Convention, Barack Obama gave a rare direct rebuke against Trump, labeling the current administration as a threat to American democracy.

“I am also asking you to believe in your own ability — to embrace your own responsibility as citizens — to make sure that the basic tenets of our democracy endure,” he said in the speech. “Because that’s what's at stake right now. Our democracy.”

“This administration has shown it will tear our democracy down if that’s what it takes to win,” the former president added.

Days earlier, Michelle Obama issued direct attacks against President Trump’s character and record in her convention speech, saying that Trump “simply cannot be who we need him to be for us.”

"Let me be as honest and clear as I possibly can: Donald Trump is the wrong president for our country," Michelle Obama said at the time. "He has had more than enough time to prove that he can do the job, but he is clearly in over his head. He cannot meet this moment … It is what it is."

The Obamas have also since lent additional support to the campaign of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden and vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.).

Polls show Biden leading the race nationally. He also leads in polling averages in most of the key swing states, though Trump this week was ahead in Arizona and Florida in polling by ABC and The Washington Post.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-...n-in-world-poll

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Where's the love for a REAL POTUS? Remember having 8 years with zero scandals and just pure elegance and pizazz from both Obamas? I think they deserve this. And I'd take them in a heartbeat over the choices this year. I bet O could bring us together too. wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Where's the love for a REAL POTUS? Remember having 8 years with zero scandals and just pure elegance and pizazz from both Obamas? I think they deserve this. And I'd take them in a heartbeat over the choices this year. I bet O could bring us together too. wink

Zero scandals? Just how deep did you put your head up your rectum for 8 years?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They are likable people, or at least Barrack is, I could miss Michelle but it's personal preference. Barrack was a great actor of the Presidency, he displayed all of the attributes that you want to see, class, grace, eloquence, empathy.

To say that it went off without a hitch is absolutely ridiculous. Affordable healthcare while well intended was a disaster, 25% increase in premiums. Targeting the IRS at groups. Vetoing the 9-11 restitution bill. Possibly spying on the Trump campaign??

Yes it was relatively quiet as far as administrations go. I really like Barrack, I just don't understand this deity status he has reached with libs.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: BpG
They are likable people, or at least Barrack is, I could miss Michelle but it's personal preference. Barrack was a great actor of the Presidency, he displayed all of the attributes that you want to see, class, grace, eloquence, empathy.

To say that it went off without a hitch is absolutely ridiculous. Affordable healthcare while well intended was a disaster, 25% increase in premiums. Targeting the IRS at groups. Vetoing the 9-11 restitution bill. Possibly spying on the Trump campaign??

Yes it was relatively quiet as far as administrations go. I really like Barrack, I just don't understand this deity status he has reached with libs.

Well put. I think part of it (for me, anyway) that will help shine up his presidency is that it immediately preceded the current disaster... and likely, no presidency going forward will be like it was pre-Trump. This current term has forever altered our political scene.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
I agree with you and I have my own opinion - but would you say this current admin has changed things forever for the better or worse? And while I think it's fair to say both sides have contributed to some of these issues, do you think it would be the same division if, say Bush, Cruz, Hilary had won the last election?

Last edited by mgh888; 09/29/20 11:12 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think part of it (for me, anyway) that will help shine up his presidency is that it immediately preceded the current disaster

The administration he followed kinda helped to put on some extra sheen, as well. Let's not forget how deep the recession was, or how unpopular 43 was by the end.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: BpG

I don't think the libs have raised Obama to diety status at all, I think the bar set by Trump's supporters is just so low that it makes Obama look SUPERIOR in every way.

O
Legend
Legend
O
My opinion (obviously), but I never thought Bush2 was nearly as bad as some folks made him out to be. Not saying he was perfect. He obviously made mistakes. I generally got the feeling he put his heart and soul into the job, he generally did what he felt was right, and the whole "he's an idiot" narrative was totally wrong. I think the fact most of the negativity around his terms has evaporated is evidence of this. The stuff that has stuck (ex. 'Mission Accomplished' and WMDs) were the things that were real and deserving of criticism.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I agree with you and I have my own opinion - but would you say this current admin has changed things forever for the better or worse? And while I think it's fair to say both sides have contributed to some of these issues, do you think it would be the same division if, say Bush, Cruz, Hilary had won the last election?

This post is entirely my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

.... for the worse, and a significant portion of responsibility is his.

Many voted for him because he wasn't a politician, but he's more partisan than anyone could have predicted. His tactics of destabilizing situations have damaged even the little bit of cooperation going on in our government. We've never been more divided, and much of that (but not all) can be laid right at Trump's feet.
I think he's normalized behaviors that not-so-long-ago would've been unthinkable for a sitting prez to say/do.
His behavior seems to embolden the worst in our society.

Would things have been different if Hillary won? Absolutely. She was the face of 'status quo' for our government (and I mean that in the worst way). What is going on now is much worse, but it's definitely not that.

I have a hard time imagining a clown like Cruz or even Bush winning a presidential election. My guy was Kasich (as far as Republicans go), but regardless... what we criticize Trump for is largely self-inflicted stuff, so through that lens it shouldn't be hard to imagine any rational human being being able to do significantly better.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I'm not going to play the bash Trump game that is so popular. However, I will say that I really liked both of the Obamas.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's pretty simple really. When you pull the nation out of the worse economic mess since the great depression, you look pretty good. When you wipe out two thirds of ISIS and have them on the ropes when the next president takes over, you look pretty good. When after years that Bush couldn't seem to get Bin Laden and you do, you look pretty good. Now I fully understand that it wasn't "Obama who got Bin Laden" but it was accomplished under his presidency and if Trump is going to take credit for killing Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, it's fair game.

Then comes the guy who hired the best people that are indicted and convicted. The guy who sounds like a fifth grader on the playground in calling people names. Mr. Word Salad. Attacking anyone who dares disagree with him and making feeble attempts to discredit them.

When you have such a day and night contrast it makes the daylight appear that much better.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll admit, I didn't have a really high opinion of Obama while he was in office. Looking back, a big chunk of that is simply difference in politics.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Obamas are 'most admired' man and woman in world: poll

Link Copied to Clipboard