Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Great find, thanks for posting.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Hear Eddie Van Halen at his jaw-dropping best on newly unearthed Hendrix cover
By Paul Brannigan (Classic Rock) 3 hours ago

Hear the late, great Eddie Van Halen unleashed on blazing 1996 cover of Jimi Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9

Chicago-born keyboardist David Garfield has recorded with everyone from Spinal Tap and Cher to Steve Lukathar and Smokey Robinson during his four decades in the music business.

One of the highlights of his storied career came in 1996, when he recorded with the late, great Eddie Van Halen. Garfield is now sharing that track, a cover of Jimi Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9, for the first time.

The cover, which appears on Garfield’s new EP, Guitar Heroes OTB, Vol. 1, also features singer/guitarist Michael Landau, bassist Will Lee and drummer Simon Phillips (The Who/Toto). But front and centre is guitar legend Van Halen, who delivers a typically jaw-dropping psychedelic guitar solo for the Hendrix classic.

If 6 Was 9, which appears on Guitar Heroes OTB in extended, remastered form, was recorded in 1996 at Chick Corea’s Mad Hatter Studios in Los Angeles and engineered by Alan Hirshberg. Eddie Van Halen’s overdubs were taped at his own 5150 Studios in LA.

Speaking to Guitar World about how the origins of the track, Garfield explained that he first met Van Halen “at a local cigar store and we got to talking.” At the time, Garfield was working on a project titled Tribute to Jeff Porcaro, in honour of the late Toto drummer, and when he mentioned this to Eddie, and asked if he’d like to participate, the guitarist’s response was an enthusiastic ‘yes!’

Garfield continues: "I went up to his house to work on the tracks with him, and he was so cool. We bonded as keyboard players, too. After that session, we played a live gig together at the Baked Potato, along with Steve Lukather and Michael Landau.

"We continued to stay in touch, and often he would call me out of the blue, asking for help with keyboard related stuff. I even found a guy to travel with him on tour and play additional parts offstage, as well as be his keyboard tech.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/hear-ed...d-hendrix-cover

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Any bidders...?

Eddie Van Halen ‘Frankenstrat’ Guitars Hit the Auction Block

DANIEL KREPS
APRIL 10, 2021 3:01PM EDT

One of Eddie Van Halen’s iconic “Frankenstrat” guitar — which the rocker gifted to late Mountain guitarist Leslie West — is set to hit the auction block Sunday.

The “Kramer Striker/Ripley Rosewood Fingerboard Frankenstrat Solid Body Electric Guitar” — one of an arsenal of custom-made guitars that Eddie Van Halen designed and “spray-painted and striped by hand, presumably by hand,” Heritage Auctions said — was made for the guitarist in 1984, and was believed to be Van Halen’s backup guitar on both the tours in support of 1984 and 5150.

In the late-Eighties, Van Halen gave the instrument to one of his guitar heroes, Mountain’s Leslie West, who in turn gifted in 1990 to his bodyguard, who on Sunday will sell the guitar to the highest bidder.

The guitar — which has a Rosewood neck, as opposed to Van Halen’s usual maple necks —comes with a notarized letter of authenticity as well as “various nicks and metal coating wear are known to be from Eddie Van Halen,” Heritage Auctions adds.

Other notable instruments at Heritage Auctions’ guitar-filled sale Sunday include another of Van Halen’s Frankenstrats (this one from 2017), the ESP 400 that Kirk Hammett played in Metallica’s “One” video, one of Prince’s white “Cloud” guitars and Michael Jackson’s Flying V guitar from his “Scream” video.

In December 2020, just two months after Eddie Van Halen’s death, three of the guitarist’s Frankenstrats sold at auction for $422,000 combined.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...on-1154168/amp/

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend

Throat cancer.

cigarettes.

Never was a heavy smoker. Probably 6 to 8 a day.

When my son was born in 1985 and my father died from a melanoma caused from pipe and cigar smoke. I never smoked again.

Some things you can control. Some you can't.

Throat cancer is a bad way to go.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I suppose there are no good ways. It is what it is.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Eddie Van Halen passes at 65yo

Link Copied to Clipboard