Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

The questions are is what happens when we need him to win games? We all know there will be games that call for the QB to step-up, right?

The answer is as varied as the situations. Some, he'll do fine, some he won't. It's quite simplistic, but... we'll win some and we'll lose some.

Year 1. The important thing is to live up to the catchphrases. Be better every week. Focus on going 1-0 every week, etc.... it's time to short-circuit the instant gratification mentality and grow the player.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Two good examples... I have a bad habit of forgetting stuff like that. I really think one reason is that I didn't really expect him to be "that guy" yet.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
In this Baker re-building year we've seen tremendous red zone play and many clutch conversions on 3rd and long. That's been the extent of us needing him to "carry the team" and he's done well there.

The one game we lost this year, we could have had any QB that ever played the game and STILL have gotten smoked.

We haven't "needed" Baker to "win the game" yet this year. He's getting in-and-out of the huddle and getting the plays called. When we've needed him to deliver, he has done a very good job.

None of that means he WILL carry us to a W when we need him to...and none of his shortcomings to date dictate that he WON'T be able to deliver when we need him to carry the win.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker is leaving a ton of yards on the field by just not seeing things. Jake Burns apparently did a great breakdown of this after last week's game (haven't watched it yet, just read about it).

It's not a big deal because we are winning. It will become a big deal if we start losing because of it. It will be up to the organization to decide if patience is warranted or not.

Best case for the Browns is we keep winning even if Baker is average, the organization doesn't get antsy, and let's him keep growing.

We are not going to pluck a magic solution off the QB tree. Keep developing Baker. But make no mistake his play is currently below average. That's ok. Just keep winning and the rest will follow.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree. At some point, he will need to step up. I think we actually see him need to do that this weekend. Chubb is hurt and the Colts have a good run defense (how the hell did they lose to Jacksonville???). Phillip Rivers also knows how to pick apart a pass defense like ours to move the ball down the field (and be an ass while doing it). To me, this means Baker will need to step up this game.

Something seems to be going on with him, psychologically, that he is having trouble with. When I go back to his rookie year, you see games where he rose to the occasion, and picked the team up from deficits and either came back, or came close (Jets, Buccanneers, and Broncos). He had two 300+ yard games against the Ravens in his rookie year, too. He was a gunslinger.

Now, I feel like he's digressed into a QB who is hesitant and unsure of himself. We all heard Stefanski mic'd up, when he told Baker to trust his eyes out there. The only thing I can think of that logically changed after his rookie year is the fact he got married wink

He is in some sort of psychological rut, but the only person who can pull him out of it is himself. He has so many tools, like a great arm, a penchant for very accurate throws when his footwork is good, and a commanding presence. I just hope he can pull it together. I think he needs a game where he is top dog and puts the team on his shoulders in order to progress in his development. A game where he folds, however, is cause for disaster.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think when/if Baker can get things like footwork and confidence in the pocket fixed and automatic, we can get a better prediction of his actual ceiling. Right now, with those things being a work in progress, his ceiling looks very very low.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Those Burns breakdowns are always an interesting read/watch.

I hear the phrase "trust your eyes" regarding BM quite a bit. I'm wondering if he's seeing it but not "seeing"/understanding/believing that that play is truly there.

I've seen in some breakdowns where BM appears to be looking at the player he should throw to (or in that direction anyway)...but doesn't pull the trigger.

I remember in the past plays where he should have taken the easy/better play but instead went for the bigger/riskier play. There is clearly work/improvement to be had there. I'm choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he's been in this offense for a half season or more before I get concerned.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He was okay. Probably our weakest link on offense. Didn't lose the game for us. Thankfully, OBJ bailed him out because I think Baker was puckering up after Dallas scored their last TD.

smh

Out of curiosity, who do you think is the weakest link on the offense?

The weakest link on the O is continuity.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Cap after great thought, What is our weakest link on Offense.

1. Right now all are playing well!
2. Position group, I would have to say our WRs.
a. we don't have a 3rd WR of note.
b. OBJ I know all is gaga over him and the kid has mad mad skills but he has ONE good game in the previous 3 he had not ran disciplined routes and is fragile. Landry of course is Solid as usual.

Next I would have to say our TEs are our weakest link they are again playing solid but not burning anything up.

Onto Baker. Yes the kid is going to get Better and better we have seen the tip of the iceberg.

1. He has improved with EACH GAME.
2. This last game I saw him more than any other go through his progressions more often and quicker than any other. He made all the right choices. I cannot believe somebody here stated they would like to see him take more SACKS...really????

3. My biggest pet peeve with him right now is with the long ball I would like to see more air under the ball and trust in the WR.

4. Unlike other QBs when we are 3rd and long HE GOES for the long and rarely will he dump off and hope the WR can make something out of nothing but get some yards and a completion for stats. 3rd and 15 he is going for that 17 yard route not the 5 yard dump off.

getting better each game is not something to sneeze at. Especially when we are looking at our 4th OC in 3 years. This is not an excuse it is in deed A FACT! Anyone who says that it is irrelevant doesn't know what they are talking about.

OBR about inside info on stepping up into the pocket. Well I have a thought on that also. In our first game he got his passes tipped stepping up into the pocket with an INT. Of course the 6'8" Chambliss was a force to be reckoned with.

So yes he is hesitant on stepping up into the pocket most likely. Although I still see him slide nicely within the pocket extending plays. So getting better with each and EVERY game is nothing to sneeze at.

So is Baker our weakest link...far from it.

I cannot believe the hate from some posters (Vers leading the charge, won't back stab you) Yes, there is excessive love from some posters too (Devicedawg leading the charge).

As noted he is getting better with each game...imagine after 2-3 years in the same offense.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 49 Cowboys 38 Baker show me game

Link Copied to Clipboard