Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
The Bears are actually ranked below the Bengals in Rushing Yards per Game, so they may not exactly be a very good measure of the Colts Run D.

We're not likely to ring up 300 yards like we did on Dallas, but I think we'll at least be able to do enough to keep their D honest, and maybe even make them sweat a little.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The Vikings O is more comparable to what we're doing and how we're performing, and it appears that the Colts handled that fairly well. THAT is troubling. Not only is their offense fairly comparable statistically, but so is their defense.

Dalvin Cook got pretty much nothing all day. As a team, they only got 80 yards total.

Three giveaways by Minnesota certainly didn't help them, but they still got trounced. The Colts offense only punted twice; they converted all other drives into at least three points.

This is not going to be easy.
Hopefully, Stefanski has been watching a lot of tape and looking to see what they are susceptible to, or where Minny went wrong, or finding ways to counter how they stopped Minny.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Hopefully we hang a bundle of points and yards on them and our D can get some stops and get off the field. Be aware of stats, but play ball. We are bringing more O than they have seen yet.

Play smart! Just win , baby! thumbsup Unleash The Elf! brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
FATE, thanks for clarifying. I better understand your point. Getting a poster's true meaning from their post can be tricky at times.

Purple, I understand the schemes are similar between the Vikes and the Browns. Might there be a difference in the OL talent? Hopefully that's true in favor of the good guys.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Could be the biggest opportunity of D'Ernest Johnson's young career, make the most of it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
While on the surface you are correct, when one looks a little deeper it paints a somewhat different picture. They only ran Cook 14 times. He averaged 4.5 yards per carry. Their backup, Mattison only rushed 3 times for 13 yards. Just over 4 yards per carry. Ham ran once for four yards.

So all of their RB's averaged 4 yards or more per carry but they only rushed the ball a total of 18 times. I haven't looked at that match up closely enough to see if the score was so lopsided they were forced to abandon the run or not, but they certainly did.

Their pass game was putrid that day. Cousins was 11/26 for 113 yards with 3 int's. I propose if you wish to look at why Minnesota looked so bad in that game it was due to Cousins and had little to do with their run game.

If I were to bet, I'd say we will rush the ball a lot more than 18 times.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
I had this in the matchup thread

Ind (20) Vs Jax (27)
Jax Rushed 23 times For 91 yds (3.95) (5 for 19 by Minshew)
14 of those including 3 for 19 by Minshew were in the 1st half.
Jax down by 3 at the half, tied end of 3rd

Min (11) vs Ind (28)
Min rushed 18 times for 80 yds (4.44)
10 for 43 1st half
Min Down by 12 at the half and 15 at end of 3rd qtr

NYJ (7) vs Ind (36)
NYJ rushed 29 times for 109 yds (3.75) (5 for 20 by Darnold)
17 for 69 1st half (3 for 10 by Darnold)
NYJ Down by 10 at the half, 24 end of 3rd

Ind (19) vs Chi (11)
Chi rushed 16 for 28yds (1.75) (2 for -1 by Foles)
11 for 17 1st half (2 for -1 by Foles)
Chi down 10 at the half, 13 end of 3rd, 16 with just under 4 min left

Seems their opponents are going away from the run in the second half, even Jax who was not behind or out of the game).

Aside from Chicago, seems teams have run decently on them, then gave up the run.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks Florida. That gives a much better overall picture than I did.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That is a great post, Florida. Thanks.

We need to avoid some of the lousy Ratbird approach, and go with what works. Our offense has to hurt them more than Darnold did. More running for us is less time on the field for them. And keeping our secondary might be a valid key to victory. The Cows gave us some insight and measured us; this game possibly even mores.

Get your popcorn ready! fingerscrossed brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
That is a great post, Florida. Thanks.

We need to avoid some of the lousy Ratbird approach, and go with what works. Our offense has to hurt them more than Darnold did. More running for us is less time on the field for them. And keeping our secondary might be a valid key to victory. The Cows gave us some insight and measured us; this game possibly even mores.

Get your popcorn ready! fingerscrossed brownie

I think it is obvious we have already abandoned the plan used in the Ravens game.

Stefanski has said he has changed his play calling based on what we could and couldn't do.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 32 Colts 23 Can D'Ernest Johnson beat the Colts without fumbling

Link Copied to Clipboard