J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Cincinnati Reds legend, Big Red Machine member Joe Morgan dies at 77

By: Michael Purves and WHIO Staff
Updated: October 12, 2020 - 11:05 AM

CINCINNATI — Beloved member of the Big Red Machine, Baseball Hall-of-Famer, and well-known broadcaster Joe Morgan has died, according to reports from multiple media outlets.
Morgan was 77.

Morgan played second base during the Cincinnati Reds' dominate runs during the 1970s, known as The Big Red Machine, and won two World Series titles in 1975 and 1976.
In retirement, Morgan was a broadcaster notably with the Reds and ESPN. Morgan served as the analyst with ESPN’s weekly nationally televised broadcast “Sunday Night Baseball.”

https://www.whio.com/sports/cincinnati-r...-nPGlojA5WTnGws

Legend
Legend
RIP. Loved the Reds back then. JM would intimidate the crap out of pitchers with that elbow twitch. So many great players on those teams and he was right there amongst them.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, we keep losing legend after legend.

I despised those Reds' teams. I was a huge Pirate fan. The Reds were loaded w/talent. Star after star. Joe was a hard-nosed player who would battle you all game long. He was kind of like the glue for that team. Like you said, his back arm twitching up and down is unforgettable. He did it to remind himself to keep it up through the swing. It levels the swing. Tough, gritty player who played the game the right way.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The more we keep losing those we knew, followed and loved, the more my own mortality comes into focus. RIP Joe Morgan. He along with others on The Big Red Machine bring back many fond memories of when I was young spending time with my dad. What a great and talented team they were.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joe Morgan, Cincinnati Reds second baseman and heart of 1970s' 'Big Red Machine,' dies at 77

At just 5-foot-7, the Oakland native stood tall as one of the game's greatest infielders.

By David K. Li

Joe Morgan, the diminutive powerhouse who led Cincinnati's "Big Red Machine" run of the mid-1970s, has died, a family spokesman told The Associated Press.

He was 77.

Morgan died at his home in Danville, California, a suburb of San Francisco, on Sunday,the family spokesman said.

The Oakland native was named National League MVP in 1975 and 1976, leading Cincinnati to World Series titles in both those seasons.

He was inducted into baseball's Hall of Fame in 1990, following a 22-season career with the Houston Colt .45s, Reds, San Francisco Giants, Philadelphia Phillies and Oakland A's.

The 10-time All-Star Game selection was an all-around offensive force, smacking 268 home runs and stealing 689 bases. He also had a keen eye at the plate, forcing pitchers to walk him 1,865 times, which boosted his career on-base percentage to .392.

Morgan was also a wizard on defense, winning five Gold Glove awards as his league's best fielding second baseman.

Morgan's death comes less than a week following the passing of Hall of Fame New York Yankees pitcher Whitey Ford at age 91.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Joe was my favorite Red of all time. Loved watching him play when I was a kid. The Big Red Machine was so much fun, and he truly was the heart of that team. It’s a sad day for Reds fans. RIP Joe, you were one of the best.

Legend
Legend
RIP to a baseball legend. My favorite of SNB

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
RIP Joe. Great player. Another star from my youth gone. Was an offensive triple threat and a gold glove defensive player. Hard to find a more complete player.

Legend
Legend

Damn. The passing of another great player.

Aging is a bitch. Hard to see these guys passing.

All I can say is that it was pleasure to watch the greats and sad to see them pass.

RIP Joe Morgan you were one hellava ballplayer.

I just turned 73. "Time is more precious when you have less of it to waste."

I take it that seriously and try to enjoy whatever time I have left.

Legend
Legend
Didn't watch Joe play much. Remember watching SNB just because he was in the booth. Such an elegant way of explaining the nuances that made baseball such a great sport. He will be sorely missed by the sport he loved, but always responsible for the love of the sport he induced in others.

Rest in Peace.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Great player on some great teams. RIP, Joe.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
Joe was my favorite Red of all time. Loved watching him play when I was a kid. The Big Red Machine was so much fun, and he truly was the heart of that team. It’s a sad day for Reds fans. RIP Joe, you were one of the best.

I was just a baby, so I couldn't really remember the big red machine. But I loved him as a broadcaster and I saw the hilights of how great he was. He will be missed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just saw a clip from Sparky Anderson, who managed Joe for 7 years. He said he didn't give Joe signs. Joe asked him about it and Sparky told him that the first time he made a mistake, he would start giving him signs. Said he never had to give him signs.

What a HUGE compliment! Goodness!!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
RIP Joe. You were a dandy.

A tough your for baseball legends passing away.

Al Kaline
Joe
Lou Brock
Bob Gibson
Tom Seaver
Whitey Ford

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cincinnati Reds legend, Big Red Machine member Joe Morgan dies at 77

Link Copied to Clipboard