Print Thread
#1815999 11/16/20 09:40 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Another bad weather day with high winds blowing mostly against one way and for the other way.

The Running game was going to determine the outcome.

This time unlike the Raider game we dominated on both sides of the ball.

Teller healthy, and most important Chubb healthy. Chubb has excellent vision not that Hunt is bad or anything. Actually teamed with Chubb, Hunt is excellent. When Hunt has to carry the load he is not the same runner.

Both were very effective and in this weather (mostly the winds) the Air game was not going to be there.

Garrett was healthy and so was our Defense. He makes everyone better when he can go 100%.

The DL dominated I thought. They played so hard. I loved the fact that we were blitzing along side Garrett.

I had hoped that our Bootleg play action we would drop straight back as they maintained Ouside Discipline and cut off Baker. Outside of one pass to Cooper for a first...did we hit any of our TE this game. Not that we passed much and we actually didn't need to pass.

As I'm sure you all saw. The game should have been 17 to 7 as Chubb got around the corner and took it up field exploding with his speed down the sideline where nobody was close to him and he went out of bounds on the ONE yard line so we could take the KNEE in Victory Formation and end the game. If we scored the Texans would have had just about one minute to score and then do an onside kick to score again...instead of taking that chance Chubb went out of bounds and insured that there was no way we would LOSE!!!

Great game I enjoyed it and funny thing most games I'm very worried we are going to lose as we seem to be in Cardiac Kids fashion of Yester year.

This game I was confident we were going to win. And we played the wind this time correctly it was to our backs the 4th quarter. We wore them down and our dominated. Teller does make a BIG difference.

I'll come back with some more WHAT I SAW but feel free to tell us something you saw this game. Explain it in detail.

Hope we stay healthy!! Cause we look good when we do!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Tab!! I saw our QB get more comfortable in bad weather!!

Team dedicated to running the ball, and it came through in the 2nd half. I saw a defense do their best to limit an extremely talented Watson.

I saw a browns team finally play like a bad weather football team!

And we’re 6-3!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
That’s about what I saw as well. Teller is a mammoth difference maker, which is crazy to say given his position and history. I also thought we adjusted to the weather better than the last game ... and if next week’s forecast holds true, we’ll have to do it again

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I just wanted to add that I actually like the 3rd down defensive scheme we ran. Must have been frustrated after the Raiders game and went back to the drawing board. It seemed we applied more of a "contained" pressure. Outside of the missed tackle that allowed Watson the outside run for a first down, it seemed to be effective. Imagine we'll try something like that in Game 2 vs the Ravens.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I just wanted to add that I actually like the 3rd down defensive scheme we ran. Must have been frustrated after the Raiders game and went back to the drawing board. It seemed we applied more of a "contained" pressure. Outside of the missed tackle that allowed Watson the outside run for a first down, it seemed to be effective. Imagine we'll try something like that in Game 2 vs the Ravens.
very good point 05 ... we contained the pocket much better and seemed to kind of squeeze them in instead of just running chaotically into the backfield.

I think this team is best on defense when we play in the middle of soft and aggressive, if that makes sense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I know what you mean. We won the game, but we got burned being too aggressive against Burrow in Game 2 as an example. We also don't have the coverage talent to never apply pressure.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Big game for the defense.

Going forward it was extremely important for the defense to have a game like this.

Watson is a tough quarterback to box up. He makes plays with his arm, feet, and his drive to win.

The weather was a big factor but that is part of football.

When conditions dictate a certain approach; you have to be able to adjust.

Ronnie Harrison has been impressive.

Wilson had his best game to date.

Myles continues to make his case for DPOY. His play on Watson at the goal was a huge.

Finally got some stops on third down. Something that will be necessary in the future.

When your OL is top notch and you have two runners like Chubb and Hunt you can dictate the flow of the game. It was clear by the fourth quarter that the dynamic duo was wearing them down. Teller and Conklin were road grading.
Bitonio had some great pulling plays. Wills is improving each week. This line is as good as I have seen on a Browns team in very long time.

After this game and being at 6-3 Kevin Stefanski deserves major props. This team is playing disciplined ball. The difference between this year and last year paints a clear picture of how coaching matters.

Penalties way down. Game preparation way better. Game day organization and adjustments vastly improved. Team attitude and chemistry noticeably better. Just the sideline vibe seems more professional.

So I like this coaching staff.

We are not elite. But we are an improving team.

Legend
Legend
I agree bone .. the limiting of penalties has been a big factor. We still have some bad ones (yesterday we had 2-3). But when comparing it to last year it’s night and day

All Pro
All Pro
Sendejo did a good job of accidentally falling down and tripping up Cooks on that deep ball to break up the TD. smile

I wonder if that officially counts as his 1st pass break up?

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
O
Legend
Legend
O
On the TD, he was the one that hit our own DB (though the DB wasn't going to recover).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He really struggles to see and react to how the play is unfolding, and that's my biggest issue with him. He had inside coverage on that TD and I think that's a play that an elite player like Reed may have picked off or at least knocked down.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The DB probably looked worse earlier on that play than Sendejo, but when the ball arrived the only person that had a shot at jarring it free was him... and he hit his own teammate.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I wish someone would just ask Stefanski "why are you still playing this dude?"

Obviously we wouldn't get a great answer, but I am very curious what the real reason is.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
People were touting the defense against the Raiders for giving up only 16 points.. this game the 1st quarter 4th down goal line stand (had we not made it) we would have given up 14 points (all things being equal) but I thought the defense against the Raiders and the defensive against the Texans in effort and execution was night and day different between the 2 games.

In the 4th quarter I saw us line up on a 3rd and 9 and run off tackle for 10 yards.. you just aren't supposed to do that in the NFL.

I saw Chubb start a little tentative in his first game back. Something Matt Millen just wouldn't let go. Then proved as the game progressed why he is option 1A and Hunt is 1B...

Baker looked a little less sharp on the short throws early on but seemed to settle down. With our running game and the weather, hitting those open 5-7 yard drive extenders is going to be key. He looked more poised though, made a lot of good decisions. The one play, not sure who else saw it... the pass got batted down when he hit the DL in the head.. that pass was going to be picked, possibly for 6. You could see the DB jump right in the route and nobody was out there to tackle him... he was jumping around holding his head after the play because he knew he had an easy one and the DL guy batted it down.

I saw Landry get a taunting call, which was stupid on his part. Spiking the ball on anything other than a TD is almost an automatic taunting. I saw Wilson get an unnecessary roughness call which I thought was a bad call, yea, he dropped him hard but did NOT drop his body weight on him. Looked like a good tackle to me.

I saw Duke Johnson prove that he is a very good change of pace back but never was and never will be the every down guy.

I saw us go 6-3 to keep us right in the mix for the WC.. now tied with the Ravens in our division in record. I also saw all of the other teams we need to beat out win.. damn Raiders, Dolphins, Colts..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

It is interesting to note how KS handled the penalties against Jarvis and Wilson.

Unacceptable. Not something you want from team leaders.

Accountability.

He called them out and he should. Those are penalties that hurt the team and are selfish.

Wilson's was aggressive but he has to play withing the rules.

Jarvis plays with emotion. But you can not let emotion hurt your team. He knows better.

I like that KS made note of it. Told the players and hopefully ended it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Not saying this is what Stefanski is (or even should) say... but Landry gets a longer leash on these types of things. He's a leader on the team, and an emotional leader for the offense. The penalty was stupid, but in the grand scheme of things, Landry brings an edge and a tenacity that is sorely lacking throughout the team. He's always pushing the limit in terms of this taunting and pushing/shoving after the whistle stuff. If the team overall wasn't so dang passive, I probably wouldn't easily shrug it off.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Not saying this is what Stefanski is (or even should) say... but Landry gets a longer leash on these types of things.

Perhaps.. but just comparing these two penalties, Landry's was a dead ball stupid over reaction to a simple first down catch.

Wilson was in the middle of making a play and got just a bit excessive in the tackle..

Between the two, Landry's was worse when it comes to "discipline"...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: TI84_Plus
I wish someone would just ask Stefanski "why are you still playing this dude?"

Obviously we wouldn't get a great answer, but I am very curious what the real reason is.

the only legitimate explanation is that he has incriminating photos.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
All Pro
All Pro
I would agree on the surface, but Landry is still more critical to mentality than Mack. OBJ is out, we have to have our WR's play tough now more than ever and Landry was the leader even when OBJ was in. Mack is not.

The penalty is frustrating, but if it pushes Higgins and DPJ to work harder, so be it.

Speaking of, am I the only one who noticed DPJ make a couple really nice grabs? That 2-yard snag was pretty fricking impressive even if it was practically worthless.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
good catches, no doubt. Stupid play on kickoff, however. Just let the ball go in the endzone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Sendejo did a good job of accidentally falling down and tripping up Cooks on that deep ball to break up the TD. smile

No. He once hit Ward nd knocked a pass out of his hands. I think this is a pass defended. Or maybe it is a pass offended since it was Ward?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You were not the only one that noticed DPJ. He has done well with the opportunity given. He is blocking well as well, but I don't like him in the return game. He looks way too slow and doesn't hit that next gear quick enough.

The Landry penalty was stupid. Never should have happened. I get that he is a Leader and his emotions are part of that, but a Leader leads by example. That was not an example I want the team to think is ok.

I LOVE having Chubb back. He is the dynamic that really sets the tone for what we are as an offense. Everyone plays better when he is on the field. He started out slow, but we saw who and what Chubb is in the 4th.

I also loved the way we used Hunt in the 4th. He played an entire series in the 4th where I was concerned that Chubb was hurt again. He pounded the rock and wore the defense out a bit, then you throw Chubb in there and Viola! Big chunks of yardage.

I thought Baker played well. He overthrew a few that could have been big plays, but overall he played smart and made the plays he needed to. I agree with the other poster that he is lights out on 3rd and long; how do we bottle that type of accuracy and vision for a full 60 minutes?

This team will live and die with the running game. When it is working, we are a force to be reckoned with. Not having OBJ out there hurts from a big play perspective, but if we can keep the balance going between Chubb and Hunt, and use our passing game just to keep defenses honest, we have something special going.

I was glad to see the defense get off the field, but the weather was the 13th defender for us. I need to see that type of play in normal elements against a good team. We still rely on our DL to set the tone, our secondary and LB's our suspect. We need to get better there. Did Phillips even play?

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend

My point is more about coaching than the players and their actions.

Under Freddie it was chaos. It was accepted and repeated.

KS had to navigate all the logistics of covid camp. Limited practices. Implementing new language and schemes.

We lost key players for periods. Yet we have not lost two games in a row. Have not let defeat take over.

We are not a perfect team. However we are improving and we will be a better team going forward.

Questions remain. Baker is no sure thing. We do need positional upgrades. But for a first time head coach. Impressive so far.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: RedBaron

Sendejo is probably one of the worst safeties to ever play for the Browns. That dude regularly gives up big plays and is a major liability. Surprised he didn’t give up another TD this week.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I saw:

The Browns beat a team they should have beaten in tough, challenging conditions where there was lots of potential for things to go badly wrong. Pick a different year, pick a different head coach/regime ... we probably find a way to lose 9 times out of 10.

The Running game ran the ball even when the D was trying to stop the Run. How huge is that?

I saw Hunt play like a lead back on a team - effort, burst, decisive ... everything you want. We are mightily blessed as RB. Chubb may have not been up to game speed initially but the long run at the end of the game highlights why no Browns fan would swap him for ANY other RB in the NFL.

I saw a QB play pretty well considering the conditions. He missed some passes whether because of poor throws or the wind gusts ... but he came through in the clutch a couple of times. His stats throughout the entire game were way ahead of Watson's. At one time they had similar completitions/attempts. Watson 88 yards, Baker 122 yards ... Guess what the Haters were spewing in the Game Day thread? smh.

I saw a good defensive game plan executed with discipline for the most part. Just like QB's don't throw perfect games even on their good days - Defenses give up big plays and scoring drives on their good games too. We contained Watson and didn't let his scrambling ability to break our will. We have holes/weak spots starting on D - we carried them/covered for them/schemed to help not let them be exposed for the most part. Wind and terrible conditions helped ... but I was still encouraged. I didn't realize how tall Harrison is - as others note, he had agood game and has been a major addition.

Well done KS. Well Done Browns. Hoping for 7-3 next.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/17/20 06:34 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Just wanted to be on the record as really liking Wilson's better. Turkey J 2.0. Think that sparked some of us some. Put it on a loop for some of the tackling-challenged guys.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
He didn't mean to be effective. He slipped. It was a broken play. naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
I just re-watched...

Harrison actually made the stop and started the tackle. Wilson reached in, took the receiver off of Harrison's shoulder, and slammed/dropped him onto the ground.

There have been worse flags thrown, imo.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I just re-watched...

Harrison actually made the stop and started the tackle. Wilson reached in, took the receiver off of Harrison's shoulder, and slammed/dropped him onto the ground.

There have been worse flags thrown, imo.
yeah, I mean it was a flag .. but not THAT horrific. If they wouldn’t have called it, I’d have understood as well. It wasn’t late either IIRC

All Pro
All Pro
I got bored and looked it up.

No credit for the pass break up for Sendejo. No worries, he's only played 600 snaps so far this year, I'm sure he'll get one eventually.

Ronnie Harrison is apparently up to 6 passes break ups in 250 snaps.

Surprisingly, Karl Joseph is credited with 2 in 300 snaps.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Some guys are practice players, some guys are game day players and some are both.

I can only ASSume Sendejo is a practice player. He knows what the coaches are trying to set up as scheme. In practice he is always at the right place at the right time. Then when its time to play the game all that goes out the window.

Just guessing of course.

Guys/Gals...I apologize my memory is going I am going to have to do this thread as soon as the game is over but in most cases I'm enjoying watching other games.

Monday night I could not go to sleep cause I was trying to remember WHO THE HECK WE PLAYED just the day before. I saw us and Chubb and Hunt and Garrett but I could make a mental picture of our opposition. Then I deduced it was a team in the South division and I got the Colts, Titans, Jaguars but kept drawing a blank on that last team. This never happened to me before. As a young coach and especially when coaching my son he and I would sit down and describe every play that happened as it was burned into our memory. Now? Getting old sucks and I seem to be getting older faster.

Finally I remembered Watson and play of the other team came along.

Back to what I saw.
A guy really impressing me is, Donavan People-Jones. His hands are good and he seems to be running his routes well. He fights like heck out there he is no wussy and when he catches the ball he is hell bent to make the most of it. Oh, and he blocks for others.

Chubb, still surprises me to see how much speed the kid has. On that last TD run that wasn't he just left those Texans in the dust!

I don't know if it was our opposition but with Teller in completing the OL the UNIT looked fantastic. The biggest difference with the Raider game and the Texans was we owned the LOS against the Texans in the Raider game it was vice versa. Had to be Teller was a big time addition but again. Absolutely nothing against Hunt but I think Chubb gives confidence to all regarding the run game. Hunt was great in this game but for some reason I think it was Chubb who set the tempo and when they were gasping for air we brought in Hunt and continued the Hammer and eventually we hammered them into submission!

They did put it up on the screen with Chubb in our O we averaged 200+ per game and then when he was out...95 yards (might be off but not by much.)

I so Mitchell late in the game and his uniform was spanking CLEAN. I was huh!?! He was not in the game? What was up with that? and who started in his place - I know I saw #28 Kevin Johnson out there and his enthusiasm and continuous motor was visible as well. In this weeks depth charts Kevin doesn't even exists???

Oh, I just got it. I kept seeing 90 and wondering who the heck this kid was. Just saw he was Elliot! Ok that is good news...lol laugh

My grandson's picture is taped right on my desk here. I miss the little dude as I am not allowed to see him due to this F....ing Communist China Plague. Sorry but this was GERM Warfare disguised by the word "Oooops"

on a tangent apologies. But how am I suppose to make him a Browns fan! When Son#1 watch the game together with his SON the Giants win...lol Son#2 claims that he will make the baby into a Cowboys fan....smh

I saw Ronnie Harrison run into Garrett on a pass rush and I believe Watson was able to get outside and run because of that.

On another play I saw Garrett bite on the inside run fake and Watson took off outside and had a big jump on Garrett. Well Garrett just stopped that inside rush immediately and took off after Watson again Garrett looked great at 100% health I know he was fast but he was fast with a sharpness I never saw from him before.

Later guys. And keep on remembering cause there must be a lot of old guys like me who forgot...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw him be a little more decisive, in that he looked to put a hit on someone vs get blown up like he has had a tendency of doing.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
maybe it was hard to remember because it was such a forgettable game.
conversely, I bet you remember a LOT from that recent CLE/CIN game...

"too many notes, not enough music-"
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Sadly no regarding the Bengal game, I remember some good stats but not in detail.

Regarding visual I have or had the ability for identic memory.
You know do great in the match card game turning them over and going back for the matching pair.

Audio I can't remember anything. College classes with lectures I was dead in water as audio can't remember a thing, visually I can. I can't tell you how many times I was accused of somehow cheating and having our text with me when taking tests as my answers would be word for word what was in the text but that is because I memorized it.

Sports I could visually see the game over again from my view on the sidelines to the exact details. Its frustrating now cause - golfing and there is a walk on playing with us. 2 minutes after audio of hearing their name I'm like - sorry what is your NAME? But if I write it down 17 holes later I still remember the name cause I have a visual of it.

Oh well sorry. But its the premise of this Thread. To not just see the STAT. Oh he ran outside for 40+ yards. But to see the blocks and the cut and when Chubb would change into that High Gear.

And to give that info into a possible visual for the few who could not see the game. Of course now a days if you didn't see the game outside of being stuck working but Covid even changed that. Its numbers are very few. But I hope all can remember a detail on a sideline hit or breaking a route or how in the Raider game how I think the Injury to Garrett hampered his ability to strike the Football hard as he swung for that sack/fumble but Carr was able to keep hold of the ball.

In this past game with Houston. Garrett was son a solid foundation even on the move so that if he made that swing to the ball from the back of the QB no way he could hold on as he was a different player when healthy!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Legend
Legend
T
You said the Browns beat a team they should have beaten.

I say there's no such thing in the NFL as a team the Browns should have beaten, NOT YET!

too close to 3-36, Nobody respects the Browns not a locker room top to bottom I'd bet.

Somebody else in this thread said
Jarvis Landry is a leader on this team.

Well I wish!
He'd Leader his blank, into the End Zone!

He has Zero more Touchdowns than you or me, in 2020, and it's Nine Games!

Something needs fixed

YES! I freaking Harp they need to Run The ball.

But you also need to throw over the shoulder, deep post and corner, seam and outside routes that force a defense to defend every inch of the field

And Jarvis Landry's got to get into the Blasted End Zone

How are you going to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore if Jarvie and Odell combine for So Few Scores.

Ronnie Harrison, there you go.

Ronnie Harrision has one more touchdown (catches), (His pick 6), than Jarvis on the season.
Say that one out loud!
( I know about the pass to Odell in the Cowboy game).

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
All Pro
All Pro

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
You said the Browns beat a team they should have beaten.

I say there's no such thing in the NFL as a team the Browns should have beaten, NOT YET!

too close to 3-36, Nobody respects the Browns not a locker room top to bottom I'd bet.

Somebody else in this thread said
Jarvis Landry is a leader on this team.

Well I wish!
He'd Leader his blank, into the End Zone!

He has Zero more Touchdowns than you or me, in 2020, and it's Nine Games!

Something needs fixed

YES! I freaking Harp they need to Run The ball.

But you also need to throw over the shoulder, deep post and corner, seam and outside routes that force a defense to defend every inch of the field

And Jarvis Landry's got to get into the Blasted End Zone

How are you going to beat Pittsburgh and Baltimore if Jarvie and Odell combine for So Few Scores.

Ronnie Harrison, there you go.

Ronnie Harrision has one more touchdown (catches), (His pick 6), than Jarvis on the season.
Say that one out loud!
( I know about the pass to Odell in the Cowboy game).

You have to remember our last two games had 20-70 mph winds I have no problems with us abandoning the long pass. The key was controlling the LOS...against the Raiders they controlled and we lost and then Texans we controlled and won. Stretching the field via the pass in those conditions is not what is necessary.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Texans 7 What I saw Houston Texans.

Link Copied to Clipboard