Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Not only have the commercials changed since Bernie, the game has too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This reply is not intended to muddy your point...the Ravens have not yet extended Lamar either.

Legend
Legend
I think all parties involved are aware of the value of Baker.. I'm confident they'll find a way to keep him here for the long term

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/11/21 01:56 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Baker will be here long term and is not going anywhere whether the deal is done now or 8 months from now.

As for MVP odds: Bet Baker (+4000) to win it and Browns (+1800) to win Super Bowl. The value will never be greater.

It'll be more difficult for Baker to win MVP because of our dominant running game.

Other good value: Browns to win AFCN (+175).

As far as 80s Browns games go, one of my most memorable as a kid was 10/29/89 vs the Oilers. Multiple flea flickers.

Old article of the game...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/s...0-1a875785e975/

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

As for MVP odds: Bet Baker (+4000) to win it and Browns (+1800) to win Super Bowl. The value will never be greater.

It'll be more difficult for Baker to win MVP because of our dominant running game.

Bah, +1800 smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice!

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Florida fan , how would a guy who has never bet on anything place that bet on the browns winning the Super Bowl? Is it done locally or online? Seems like a good place to put a couple of hundred.

F
Legend
Legend
F
YOu can try online, but I've never really done online. Not sure I trust the payout process, but others may have more experience with it.

That bet was made in Vegas the Monday after Superbowl. I got Tampa last year at 60/1 the same way.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
j/c

just a friendly reminder that for the first time in years we don't have to worry about drafting a QB in the first round of the draft

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Who cares if he’s a system QB? As long as he plays well and we win games people can call him whatever they want.

Legend
Legend
As long as he plays well in our system, who cares?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Who cares if he’s a system QB? As long as he plays well and we win games people can call him whatever they want.

I think q was making the point he is not a system QB.

And I agree with you

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I think q was making the point he is not a system QB.

And I agree with you

I agree. What system are people talking about?

Whatever system it is, it seems to be working for us.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Even more than the year the Browns drafted Baker. This is the year I am most excited to see.

First year he was not expected to start.

Second year was another head coach.

Third year another head coach.

This year we begin the season with the same coaching staff. We can actually see how to progress in the same system.

In addition, we are chock full of talent. It all starts up front. We have a outstanding offensive line.
No quarterback looks good running for their life.

We have a very good mix of receivers. Odell and Jarvis are proven veteran receivers who are both pro bowl talents. Higgins, Hodge, and DPJ are good complimentary receivers.

We have a outstanding running backs. The best running back room in football.

Our tight ends are athletic can catch and block.

The other thing is we have returning "The Head Coach of the Year."

AVP, Kevin and the whole staff now know their players and the playbook. They can expand and further tailor the offense to fit the skills of the players.

I am super excited to see what Baker can do under these conditions.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C.

It's very interesting to see who comes up as a "System QB" when you google it.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Only thing I’m worried about with baker is the O line holding up.

If we got one or two of our skill set guys going down, baker can still get it done. But I have durability concerns with our O line.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
How come? We had all manner of subs last season coming in and playing well, overall. "A guy named Blake" and such. Harris stepped in at guard (IIRC) and played well for a game until he didn't... I think that was the worst we saw out of our non-starter OL.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

just a friendly reminder that for the first time in years we don't have to worry about drafting a QB in the first round of the draft

First time in years? We didn't worry about drafting a QB in the first round of the draft last year. Or the year before.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’m hoping our rookie LT isn’t gonna have an ankle/foot problem. Teller also was in and out.

For the most part I think they’ll be healthy this season. But that’s the only unit that’s gonna keep baker from shining this season, IMO.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
I see what you're saying. I'll give them a little longer before I think about attaching any sort of 'injury-prone' label on any of them. Wills and Teller just have small sample sizes, and Wills will have a proper NFL offseason under his belt at the start of next season. I think the way the backups responded last year is sufficient mitigation to any OL injury risks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
I’m hoping our rookie LT isn’t gonna have an ankle/foot problem. Teller also was in and out.

For the most part I think they’ll be healthy this season. But that’s the only unit that’s gonna keep baker from shining this season, IMO.

Agreed. Offense was "night and day" without Teller. Hopefully he stays healthy. Hopefully another year together makes our depth a little more plug-n-play.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

OL depth.

Drew Forbes - G
Michael Dunn - G
Blake Hance - G
Nick Harris - G/C

Chris Hubbard - T
Greg Senat - T
Alex Taylor - T

Our depth is better. I think we may add and or subtract from the current depth chart.

Berry is very detailed about roster depth and competition. We will always be looking to developing players along the line.

Injuries will happen. If you are lucky you do not lose guys for the year. But no doubt players will miss games.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I hope every year we add OL via the draft.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you and find the entire idea of "system QB" to be a dumb idea to begin with. Now don't get me wrong, there are some QB's whose talents are limited with which you have to mold everything you do around their strengths and weaknesses. So in those certain instances I can see using the term. But that's not the case here.

Baker in no way fits that description. His accuracy is in the top third in the league. He can throw short, intermediate or long. While he isn't fast on his feet, he can seem to find the right time to scramble and where to scramble when necessary.

Every QB coming from college has to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Processing faster and having to learn to read defenses post snap is certainly not something all QB's can adapt to. Baker seems to be doing a fine job doing so.

If you want to see or discuss a team who had to totally revamp their entire system to adapt to the skills of their QB, look no further than Baltimore.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I don't think we need to this year since we're basically getting more than a couple of guys already that we didn't have for 2020, but I generally agree for both OLine and DLine. We *need* to continually have guys in the pipeline. At the very least, for the interior positions.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I agree with you and find the entire idea of "system QB" to be a dumb idea to begin with. Now don't get me wrong, there are some QB's whose talents are limited with which you have to mold everything you do around their strengths and weaknesses. So in those certain instances I can see using the term. But that's not the case here.

Baker in no way fits that description. His accuracy is in the top third in the league. He can throw short, intermediate or long. While he isn't fast on his feet, he can seem to find the right time to scramble and where to scramble when necessary.

Every QB coming from college has to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. Processing faster and having to learn to read defenses post snap is certainly not something all QB's can adapt to. Baker seems to be doing a fine job doing so.

If you want to see or discuss a team who had to totally revamp their entire system to adapt to the skills of their QB, look no further than Baltimore.

Agreed.

I'll add "game manager" to the silly-ness title of "system QB". There are a lot of "Game Managers"...essentially every QB who isn't significantly-better-than-average is a "Game Manager"...and many of the great ones manage one hell of a game (Tom Brady).

To your point, the only real "system QB" scheme that I can recollect is Baltimore right now...although the term certainly gets thrown around as if it's a regular thing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I don't think we need to this year since we're basically getting more than a couple of guys already that we didn't have for 2020, but I generally agree for both OLine and DLine. We *need* to continually have guys in the pipeline. At the very least, for the interior positions.

I think you are both correct.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
j/c

First time in years? We didn't worry about drafting a QB in the first round of the draft last year. Or the year before.

yep--- last year people were calling for him to be traded in the offseason

B
Legend
Legend
B

You can't predict injuries. All we can do is hope to have some depth along the line. We are pretty good there, but I wouldn't mind spending our 2nd or a 3rd on a O lineman.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
I wanted to counter your "game manager" point, but

All I can really say, is I was listening to a draftnik yesterday who said to the gist of
(and I was rofl)

He didn't like Kyle Trask QB Flordia because he didn't like, blank, blank and blank about Trask, except he loved;
except for his good Pocket Presence, accuracy, and ? (may have been decision making)

and I'm Lauging, losing it, What else do you want in a QB?
( and that's what game manager means to me.)

Every snap, a qb can make a bad decision, it's just possible, they can make a bad decision if they want to,
they can throw it away with an open man right in front of them,

they can get conservative on 4th and 4 in a pass, with 2 minutes to play.

Making the good decisions with, what the game gives you, that's being a game manager.

That's (I'm gonna say it), that's even part of why Ryan Tannehill is a better QB than RG3.

And sometimes, it's having that chip on their shoulder to "don't tick that QB off" or he'll get mad and throw 3 td's.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

You can't predict injuries. All we can do is hope to have some depth along the line. We are pretty good there, but I wouldn't mind spending our 2nd or a 3rd on a O lineman.

I think it depends on how they feel about Nick Harris, I think Nick Harris is that guy
Wyatt Teller may have already been that guy.

Browns had about 8 usable OL last year, which is 2 more than an avg. year, Conklin and Wills being the upgrades at OT, and Hubbard being the long time starter who still substitutes as well as a starter,
and Lamm who played well as a substitute with no dropoff through a limited time frame.

And Nick Harris filling in as a suitable backup.

Kendall Lamm is the only one who left, if the whole group is healthier than last year, there would be no expected drop off, even if they don't add anyone.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
j/c

yep--- last year people were calling for him to be traded in the offseason

Honestly, I do not remember that.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield part IV a New Hope

Link Copied to Clipboard