Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The third weekend on the island was a party. 'Whoopin and hollerin', everybody having a great time. As crazy as things were, one thing held true... behind the scenes, everybody did their job. They worked in perfect harmony. The island folk? They couldn't be happier. What seems to be gone are the days of "lipstick on a pig". As the sun set on what was a beautiful weekend there was a crescendo of all the islanders chanting together in unison, they love their Island.

The first two weekends caused concern, eyebrows were raised and everybody was staring at Joe. Joe saw massive changes in the infrastructure during the off-season. Things weren't working, so changes had to be made, but the changes were massive. His troops do the "dirty work". Everybody loves banners and bright colors, everybody loves Cap's Tiki Bar and Grill... but if your feet stick to the floor and there are so many leaks that the restroom is "Out Of Order", it makes the island experience shaky at best.

The new hires on his side seem legit. Greg looks like he's been here for years, JJ fills the role as a sort of mentor to new guys and young guys alike, and more than fills his role on Sundays. Then there's the "Joker", at least that's what some call him. There were concerns that this island may be too big for him, that his skills may not translate, but week three -- he was everywhere. He looked like a seasoned vet. He anticipated problems before they happened, and he did it with flying colors.

Kevin walks the beach as the troops are getting ready for another big weekend. He sees Joe from a distance and can already hear a different conviction in his voice. It's music to his ears.

As he approaches, Joe is gathering the guys in at the end of their day. He gives them their pep talk.

"Yes, we all have to work, and it's hard work. I know none of you are afraid of the work, but what we need is trust. Trust your brothers, trust the system, trust that your hard work will pay off..."

They all nod in agreement, the same conviction is written on their brows.

"Most of all, trust me..."

He glances up to see Kevin passing, Joe flashes a smile, a smile that has seemed to be missing the last few weeks, he continues...

"Trust me because I'm going to work with you and for you to get it all done!"

"Are you IN?" Joe yells.

A resounding "YES" echos throughout the island.

Kevin walks by and now he's grinning... grinning from ear to ear. He recounts in his own mind a previous conversation with Andrew.

THREE WEEKS EARLIER

His feet hit the ramp no sooner than the anchor drops... work to do. Seconds later he's shuffling through the sand. His pace summons notice from all who are working. The boss is here.

In so many places, that will have most people drop their heads and shift immediately into "I'm working... no, really, I'm working" mode. Not on this island. On this island there are great expectations. Expectations start and end with taking responsibility, from the top down. Mr. Berry is clear about what he expects and makes no bones about the hard work required... From there, you're either "in" or you're "out". Your choice. Your actions and your hard work will determine your future, but let's be clear, a lack thereof will not determine the future of the organization. "We" is how this thing will be built, come hell or high water.

Great expectations are usually attacked by a "boss" that deflects responsibility -- always looking for a scapegoat -- at least in the world of "island building". Mr. Berry is anything but typical in how he governs. He's years ahead of his time. He carries an aura that can't go unnoticed, but at his root, he knows this isn't a one man proposition. It requires the hard work and commitment of many. More than this, it requires great trust. He defers from the "boss" moniker and works as a cog in the gears. He turns the spotlight to others while placing the responsibility of success on his own shoulders. He trusts and respects, but never circumvents... "the system".

He pauses, sucks in the air, and glances about. Still so much to do before opening day. But he's never afraid to spread himself too thin as he relies on his laser focus and unwavering commitment. The same characteristics permeate the org. Smart, tough, always accountable.

Kevin approaches... he's in charge of the island, all aspects. He started his tenure with a great foundation but a lot of shortcomings. He's made the best of the opportunity and exceeded expectations. Especially considering the torrents and storms that reared their ugly faces from the time his feet hit the sand.

Andrew and Kevin turned the sails and worked hard to right the ship after a season of disappointment. Andrew replaced "meet the new boss, same as the old boss", Kevin replaced "rah, rah, whoopty-hell". A stark contrast in culture came to pass so fast that it had heads spinning. They are two of the same in demeanor, ethic and commitment.

"So here we are." Kevin smiles and places a hand on Andrew's shoulder as they shuffle through the sand.

The off-season laborers are gone. It's time to get down to the real business of running an island, something the patrons can be proud of. Andrew has his own set of concerns, many aren't shared because there's no real reason to share them. But there's one thing he feels he has to get out in the open, and get his own litmus test from Kev...

"Do we have 'trust'?" Andrew asks.

"Yes! YES, we do! You trust me, I trust you, the guys in the trenches -- they trust each other."

"What about Joe?"
Andrew says it as if there is some concern.

"Well, Joe knows we trust him... I guess the real question is whether there is trust all around him. Being in charge of the infrastructure is a big deal, and we made a lot of changes. I think he's just quiet because he's trying to make sure all the moving parts work in harmony. We've hired top notch talent, I think he may be feeling a little heat from the spotlight, but he'll be fine."

"Just make sure he knows that we trust him. He's carrying the anchor that will spell the difference between success and failure, he has to know that we trust."

"I will. I will make sure he trusts me, trusts you, trusts the system... TRUST ME!"

"I do Kev, I always do, let's get to work."

They walk down the beach as the sun starts to fade behind the horizon. Another long day, but they're both energized. Kevin skips rocks off the soft water creeping up on to the shore. Andrew pauses again and sucks in the island, he can smell it in the air, it's going to be a special season.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Things like this make me happy that nothing here ever gets deleted.
Well done, sir!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
these are always fun to read.

more, please.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
You have an A in my creative writing class. Well done, sirrah, and delight! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: FATE
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Fyre Festival 2.0

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would be sure to wait until the storm is over before I turn the complete estimate of the damage over to the insurance company or try and rebuild.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Amen to that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Paradise Island... construction complete: Grand Opening!

Link Copied to Clipboard