Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Evangelist Franklin Graham compared 10 members of the GOP to Judas Iscariot on Thursday after they voted to approve President Donald Trump's second impeachment.

Graham, the head of the non-profit organization Samaritan's Purse, has been a longtime supporter of Trump's presidency. Rifts between the evangelical community and Trump have developed after recent events, including a January riot at the U.S. Capitol. Trump's impeachment in the aftermath of the riot at the U.S. Capitol did not change Graham's support of the president, leading Graham to draw parallels between Trump's impeachment and the betrayal of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible.

"Shame, shame on the ten Republicans who joined with @SpeakerPelosi & the House Democrats in impeaching President Trump yesterday," Graham tweeted. "After all that he has done for our country, you would turn your back & betray him so quickly? What was done yesterday only further divides our nation."

Graham elaborated on his opinion in a Thursday Facebook post, detailing why he believed Trump was actually impeached.

"But the House Democrats impeached him because they hate him and want to do as much damage as they can," Graham wrote. "And these ten, from [Trump's] own party, joined in the feeding frenzy. It makes you wonder what the thirty pieces of silver were that [Democratic House] Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi promised for this betrayal."

In the Bible, Judas Iscariot was paid 30 pieces of silver by the Pharisees to betray Jesus, who was tried and punished before being crucified by the Romans.

Members of the House voted 232-197 to impeach Trump on the grounds of "inciting violence against the Government of the United States" after thousands of his supporters marched on the Capitol building following a speech given by Trump at a Stop the Steal rally. Five individuals died as a result of riot-related violence.

In her Tuesday statement announcing her decision to break party lines and vote in favor of Trump's impeachment, Wyoming Republican Liz Cheney cited Trump's actions connected to the Capitol riot.

"There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution," Cheney wrote.

Some evangelicals held fast to their support of Trump after the riots. Texas Baptist pastor Robert Jeffress tweeted that even after the riot, he did not regret supporting Trump throughout his presidency.

"Great talks today with President @realDonaldTrump and @VP @Mike_Pence," Jeffress tweeted on Tuesday. "When reporter asked if I regretted my support I said "Absolutely not! Most pro-life and religious liberty President and VP in history!"

Trump's repeated claims that widespread election fraud turned off some evangelicals including televangelist Pat Robertson, who said that Trump was laboring under a delusion by alleging that he had actually won the election.

"With all his talent, and the ability to raise money and draw large crowds, the President still lives in an alternate reality," Robertson said on a December 2020 episode of his syndicated program The 700 Club.

Robertson added that Trump would be best served by conceding the election to President-elect Joe Biden.

"He's fired people, he's fought people and he's insulted people, and he keeps going down the line, so it's a mixed bag," Robertson said. "And I think it would be well to say, 'You've had your day and it's time to move on.'"

Trump made strong inroads into the conservative Christian community. In January 2020, he launched a coalition called Evangelicals for Trump. A number of evangelical leaders announced their support for Trump, with Graham saying in December 2020 that Trump would "go down in history as one of the great presidents of our nation."

After Trump was widely found to complicit in inciting the Capitol riot, the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) decried Trump. "The mob at the Capitol was provoked by leaders, including President Trump, who have employed lies and conspiracy theories for political gain," the January statement read. "Evangelicals are people who are committed to truth and should reject untruths."

https://www.newsweek.com/franklin-graham...-christ-1561809

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I've learned in my life that some of the most religious people are also the biggest hypocrites. This guy just sounds like a nut job.

Trump is not God nor is he the messiah. willynilly

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Graham to draw parallels between Trump's impeachment and the betrayal of Jesus Christ as described in the Bible.

Yep he is off his rocker

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree with you. But it does sound like Graham is trying to make Trump look like Republican Jesus.

I am very much a God fearing person myself and what bothers me is how so many who claim to represent Christianity have warped it into.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All i have to say is shame, shame, shame on franklin graham.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe he has drank too much of the Trump Kool-Aid.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. On another note, Examine if we really have to participate in their economy,

if they are going not hold votes,
and economically amount to no path to success, without confiscation

and largely funnel everything to china and billionaires.

It's time to examine what we can control.

And not follow your thread idea? I think it's a lil whiny if you care bout what Franklin Graham said
Does that make someone a snowflake?
What is the def. of a snowflake?

I don't give a Rip.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Grifters gonna grift. News at 11.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
There were plenty of snowflakes invading the Capital Building on Jan. 6th for you to examine in order to find the answer to your question. When I was growing up we had different names for people who blamed everyone else when they lost and couldn't be civil when they lost. But I won't get into that right now.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Where I grew up, Trump would have been lucky to make it through the day in school without a swirly.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I have seen a number of things on social media over the last month or so with scriptural references wherein, Trump is always Jesus as the scripture is used..

It's sad, many churches have become way too political for my liking.. and not all on the side of Trump, some have gone off the rails the other way.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A lot of churches ignore the Social Gospel. I wish that was preached more than it currently is.

Legend
Legend
Shameful

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree with you. When any charity or religion gets involved in politics they should lose their tax exempt status. And I don't care which side of politics they fall on.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Franklin Graham Compares 10 Republicans Who Voted to Impeach Trump to Betrayal of Christ

Link Copied to Clipboard