Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Two-time Super Bowl champion Tony Jones passes away
https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/two-time-super-bowl-champion-tony-jones-passes-away

He was 54 years old.

Jones, a 13-year NFL veteran, played four seasons for the Broncos at tackle from 1997-2000. He served as the team's right tackle during their first world championship season in 1997 and held future Hall of Famer Reggie White without a sack in Super Bowl XXXII. Jones then manned the left tackle position in 1998 as Denver earned another title.
Jones earned Pro Bowl honors that season as he protected John Elway's blind side.

The 6-foot-5, 290-pound player started all 60 games in which he appeared over his four seasons in Denver. Jones joined the Browns as an undrafted player in 1988 and spent eight seasons in Cleveland. Jones was a second-team All-Pro in 1994.

Jones then spent the 1996 season with the Ravens before the Broncos traded a second-round pick to acquire him in February of 1997.

A Royston, Georgia native, Jones was named a member of the Broncos Top 100 Team in 2019. The list of players celebrated the franchise's all-time greats and was voted on by fans.

DenverBroncos.com also ranked Jones as the fourth-best tackle in team history in 2016.

"We lost a great man," Ring of Fame wide receiver Rod Smith posted on Instagram on Friday. "Just happened to be a hell of a ball playa. We love you and miss you Bone. One of the Broncos all time best tackles. greatest dresser of ALL-TIME!"

Three-time All-Pro tackle Willie Anderson also remembered Jones, calling him on Twitter a "great dad, friend, offensive tackle, trainer and coach."

Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Atwater was also close with Jones, as the two lived near each other after their NFL careers.

"He was an amazing guy, a heck of a nice guy," Atwater said. "Great football player — mean, nasty. That's the kind of guy that you want to go to war with if you're going to war. And we were really good friends. We lived in the same neighborhood when we lived in Georgia — lived down in Sugarloaf down there. We had a pretty good friendship. ... He and one other friend of mine, we got lunch a little bit before I moved from Atlanta, took me out to lunch. I always remember how nice of a guy he was, how great he was with his kids. A good guy, man."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
RIP Tony

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
54 is very young. Rest in peace, big guy - as LT's go, you were a very good one.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I remember you Tony. Very good player for us. Agreed 54 is way too young. R.I.P My condolences to your family.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for his family ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Legend
Legend
B
RIP

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I was flying back from Denver and who do you suppose was on the plane with me.. Course, I was sitting in Coach, he was in business class.

Tony, his wife, who I guess was from Cleveland and kids.

Had a chance to speak with him in passing.., Great guy with a smile that would just light up a room.. Asked him if he'd come back to Cleveland (this was roughly 1998). He said he sure would.

Like I said, great guy.

RIP Bone

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Thanks for Sharing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
54 is very young. Rest in peace, big guy - as LT's go, you were a very good one.

A fairly high percentage of linemen seem to die at a young age. I have to wonder if steroids/HGH or just the wear and tear on the body of being SO big is responsible? I have said for years that if the NFL really cares about injuries as well as player's long-term health they would institute a weight limit on players.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Former Browns Tackle Tony Jones passes

Link Copied to Clipboard