Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1846649 02/04/21 09:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When looking back at the season where did we fail?

For the most part our failures fell to the defense.

We gave up way to many big plays. We got beat deep in the pass game. And we gave up to much on the ground.

Woods wants to run a 4-2-5 as the base defense. I can understand that. The extra DB has to cover and support against the run.

Speed is needed. If we start two linebackers they have to be hybrid guys. They have to tackle and cover.

In fact the back seven have to be faster. We should not get beat deep. In addition our safety's have to cover ground.

The front four should be able to generate a consistent pass rush with four guys. That means the line has to be kept fresh. So you need a strong rotation of D-Lineman.

Speed. Ward and Harrison are keepers. Delpit was drafted for a critical role.

Mitchell is average that spot could use more speed. Greedy hopefully will play.

Kevin Johnson, Karl Joseph, Redwine, Tavierre Thomas, MJ Stewart, Jovante Moffatt, Brian Allen, and Sendjo.

All these guys are replaceable. Kevin Johnson is ok as a slot corner. Joseph can tackle but is slow. Redwine may get better. Stewart is ok as depth.

But really we need more speed in the secondary.

Phillips is the only linebacker we have with some speed.

So we need speed. And we need to improve the pass rush overall with more consistency.

To take the next step the team defense has to be in the top ten of team defenses.

Speed is needed.

bonefish #1846651 02/04/21 09:23 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Despite speed, someone who can know enough to be in the right place to begin with, can be more effective.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #1846659 02/04/21 09:41 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes - I agree. If you think back to when Ohio State would turn up for a bowl game against an SEC team and get spanked - something always jumped off the page (to me at least) and that was the speed differential seemingly all over the field.

I agree 100% that we seemed to lack speed - most especially at LB. Phillips stood out when he played, but I don't know that I trust him to take the leap forward we need. But speed at LB would really help.

I also agree that being in the right position-or- being elite at reading plays and the flow of the play can be a substitute for speed. But the way the game has changed over the years, the impact of TE's and pass catching RB's ... having speed can help when the defense blows it.

Personally I'd rate an elite LB above any other upgrade - but understand that getting an edge rusher opposite MG would potentially be huge - or Leonard Williams who can do it from the middle. And then someone to help shore up the secondary. I could role with a mix of the safeties we have. Especially if Delpit is probable to return close to 100% ... I like Mitchel at CB but would like an upgrade in case Greedy doesn't make a full recovery. * Assuming they make full recoveries I think Ward, Greedy, Delpit and Harrison all have sufficient speed and ability at their positions ... but more would not hurt.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
bonefish #1846737 02/04/21 05:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Speed is needed at the LB level and in the secondary .. and w/our WR corps. KC exposed our lack of speed big time. We couldn’t separate much, even on PA stuff.

OBJ obviously would help this if he’s back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1846743 02/04/21 06:11 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Forget to mention the WR core. I've said it elsewhere, I do wish we had an out an out burner to stretch the field vertically, if OBJ can be that guy I'm delighted. . . I always thought of him as run after the catch and elite quickness rather than top end speed.

Last edited by mgh888; 02/04/21 06:11 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1846782 02/05/21 06:38 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Forget to mention the WR core. I've said it elsewhere, I do wish we had an out an out burner to stretch the field vertically, if OBJ can be that guy I'm delighted. . . I always thought of him as run after the catch and elite quickness rather than top end speed.

I think we all do. I agree on OBJ. he is a run after catch guy, so we best use him that way and stop streaking him down the field all the time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1846786 02/05/21 08:04 AM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
bonefish, that is a pretty nice summary of our d. Only thing I would add is I believe at the combine taki’s 40 time was a little faster than Phillips. I know there is more to it than straight speed but I do think they are pretty comparable.
I am not as negative about our young backers as many. I think all three will continue to improve with experience.

keithfromxenia #1846788 02/05/21 08:42 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Taki and Phillips were super close.

4.63 Taki:
4.66 Phillips.

Mack Wilson 4.5

Phillips just seems to react quicker.

4.5 is good for a LB.

Wilson got into a problem with KS. Kevin benched him.

Never heard why which I am glad for.

Maybe Wilson will play better. Maybe Kevin lit a fire under him.

Technique is super important in coverage. When linebackers are asked to cover mostly they are in zone and they have to cover TE's.

Kelce and others torched us this past year.

We didn't do such a good job in the slot coverage as well.

I really like Harrison. He is instinctive and plays with energy.

Delpit ran a 4.39 at the combine.

That is fast for a safety. So we missed that speed.

Sendejo is 4.65 guy.

Playing a fifth DB the guys who come in as nickle or dime have to be fast with good technique.

My guess is we sign a free agent safety. And our first round pick will be a defensive lineman.

Second round we look for corners.

Losing Delpit and Greedy for year was a hard hit to take.

I am extremely confident that Berry will bring in the right defensive players for what we need.

bonefish #1846805 02/05/21 10:14 AM
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I see it the same way as you bonefish.

If we want to get more speed on the field, then having 3 safeties is the way to go. That's why I see Berry making a splash and signing a FS to a nice contract.

I'm thinking he goes after a Marcus: Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye.

That would allow the Browns to play 3 safeties like Woods wants and provide insurance for Delpit's injury. We can't have a FS with only 2 passes defensed and 0 interceptions next year; that is unacceptable, especially with how often Sendejo was targeted.

If we play 3 safeties more, LB becomes less of a need. Bring in a veteran, and use another mid-round pick on a LB. One of our young LBs has to pan-out.

Next priority is a DE opposite MG. We have to bring in someone that can play at a high level-next year; we are built to win NOW. Bring in someone on a 1-year deal that can provide high-level play this year, and hit this position high in the draft and let them rotate in and develop this year without too much immediate pressure to preform.

Next priority is CB. Luckily, there are a lot of veteran CBs free agents this year. Hopefully, that drives their price down. Sign 2 and draft 1 in the middle rounds.

DT I'm not too worried about this year with Billings coming back, but we need to get younger in the future. I'd draft a DT early.

We'll see what Berry does, but I trust him to make good decisions.

keithfromxenia #1846879 02/05/21 07:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Like Saturday Night Live: The "Not Ready for Prime Time Players"

Really hope they develop more. I don't see them as the answer as starters yet. Need another safety, a speed merchant, and a MLB who can pound and cover. Might be wrong, but willing to risk this. The D still needs attention IMO for the next step.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Speed

Link Copied to Clipboard