Next Thread
Print Thread
#1851336 03/07/21 03:37 PM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
[social:tweet]https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1351998400439455745/photo/1[/social]

This shows sacks v double rate.

The guys in the lower right quadrant might be names to be watching as they could be the value picks.

Bottom left, don't waste your time...they have low sack rates and low double team rates.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Not sure how to just post up the graph

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D

O
Legend
Legend
O
That graph confirms what my eyes saw when watching the Steelers.

TJ Watt is constantly running into the backfield unhindered. Prior to this past season, I was screaming "How do you not block THAT guy!?"

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
I noticed that neither of the Steeler edge rushers (Watt, Dupree) got much double-teaming, and wondered why. I'm guessing its because Tuitt, Alualu, Heyward were so good at caving the interior and also because the Steelers are so good at disguising their blitzes.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Speaking of Bud Dupree, I'd like to hear the folks that are campaigning for us to throw money at him in Free Agency (coming off an injury, at that) after looking at that graph.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dupree had 8 sacks in 10 games. I think in a full season, he'd probably would have had 12-13 sacks and move up to the upper left quadrant of the graph. I do recall him being in the backfield all game in the Browns loss to Pitt, and having 2 sacks. The relative lack of double teams vs Watt and Dupree might be more of a tribute to the overall depth of Pittsburgh's D, rather than something to hold against Watt or Dupree. I'd take him in a New York minute, assuming he's healthy.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The graph is pass-rush win rate and double-team rate, so his playing a shortened season shouldn't impact where he falls. Unless Pitt played all its super-tough-defensive opponents while he was still healthy, his injury shouldn't change that graph.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Speaking of Bud Dupree, I'd like to hear the folks that are campaigning for us to throw money at him in Free Agency (coming off an injury, at that) after looking at that graph.

It's hard to double guys when the defense is constantly sending more than 4 rushers. Link (can probably find a more comprehensive link, but that was the first one that came up)

The Steelers secondary also left a decent bit to be desired, and, combined with the pass rush, led teams to try to get the ball out quickly. Dupree had to balance getting after the passer with trying to get hands in passing lanes.

Our defense's problem from a DL perspective was more run stopping (secondary overall, still.) We were 30th in run stop win rate (14th in pass rush.) Link

TJ Watt was doubled less frequently than Dupree (from the original graph) despite having the highest pass rush win rate in the league last season. I don't think that would be the case if teams weren't also worried about Dupree.

Dupree would help against the run and the pass (if healthy.)

Graphs are great, but without relating them to the film they aren't particular useful. They can help you decide what to look at/for to see how the numbers match up with the play.

I'm not sure how much money I would throw at Dupree. But Pass rusher is a position you have to pay if you're trying to get a good one.

I give Dupree a slight edge over Lawson due to his run stopping as you can generally get more sacks when you can force teams into long down and distance situations. That and I'm thinking Lawson might get paid more due to Dupree's injury.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I sit corrected - I wasn't familiar with what the stat represented. But I'd still like to have Dupree, based on my amateur eye test.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I should've prefaced my request by saying I don't have an opinion on Dupree... I know the name only because he's a main cog in our rival's defense. Just looking for more insight as I was surprised to see where he landed in that graph.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
That graph confirms what my eyes saw when watching the Steelers.

TJ Watt is constantly running into the backfield unhindered. Prior to this past season, I was screaming "How do you not block THAT guy!?"

Walder addresses this. It seems half of it is that they're blitzing so often that opportunities to double anyone is limited and half that TJ lines up so far outside compared to other edges.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 03/08/21 01:44 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There are two things our defense needs more than anything else... speed and relative health. I know injury is an unpredictable part of football but I'm not in favor of signing anyone with a well established history of difficulty staying on the field.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Justin Houston is a free agent.
If we need an older veteran stop-gap to pair with Myles.

I'd prefer we throw money at someone no older than 27, but if we're going to go after an older player to fill a hole until we can groom a replacement, he might not be terrible.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Ogbah is quietly having a decent career...we could do worse than bringing him back.

Legend
Legend
J/C

Watching our playoff game against Pittsburgh, we had such a good approach offensively. Attacking their LBs in coverage with quick timing and/or breaking routes was a recipe for success. It totally negated their pass rush and got Baker into a rhythm

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Ogbah is quietly having a decent career...we could do worse than bringing him back.

I don't think he's a good fit for this defense,

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Interesting DL graphic

Link Copied to Clipboard