Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1852489 03/14/21 08:59 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Boxing was my first sport. My godfather was a heavyweight.

I was kinda raised on boxing. My father had close friends that fought. I have many memories of my father and his friends coming over to watch Gillette Cavalcade of Sports on an old black and white tv.

So I followed boxing my whole life. Later one of my best friends became a boxing judge.

We watched Marvelous win the middleweight title against Vito Antuofermo. For the next ten plus years he dominated.

His fight against Tommy Hearns was one of greatest fights ever.

I was a huge Duran fan. His fight against Hagler was a classic. Hagler was a natural middleweight. Duran was a lightweight champion. Then became a welterweight champion.
For Duran to step in against Hagler took guts. Roberto gave Marvin everything he had and lost a very close fight.

Marvin then fought Ray Leonard. One the worst decisions ever. I thought Marvin clearly won the fight.

Hagler was disgusted by the outcome and never fought again.

He was a great champion who always came fully ready to fight. Tough as nails. Very skilled and determined.

RIP:
Marvelous Marvin you were marvelous.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Hagler's only appearance on Dave, here six weeks after his match with Thomas Hearns.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I didn't know he kicked. When did that happen?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
RIP

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He died yesterday(Sat) Peen.

May you Rest In Peace Mr. Marveous Marvin Hagler

Marvelous Marvin Hagler, middleweight boxing great, dies at 66

7:45 PM ET
Associated Press

Marvelous Marvin Hagler stopped Thomas Hearns in a fight that lasted less than eight minutes yet was so epic that it still lives in boxing lore.

Two years later, Hagler was so disgusted after losing a decision to Sugar Ray Leonard -- stolen, he claimed, by the judges -- that he never fought again.

One of the great middleweights in boxing history, Hagler died Saturday at the age of 66. His wife, Kay, announced his death on the Facebook page for Hagler's fans.

"I am sorry to make a very sad announcement,'' she wrote. "Today unfortunately my beloved husband Marvelous Marvin passed away unexpectedly at his home here in New Hampshire. Our family requests that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler won boxing's greatest prize -- by walking away

The boxing world reacts to the death of Marvelous Marvin Hagler
Hagler fought on boxing's biggest stages against its biggest names, as he, Leonard, Hearns and Roberto Duran dominated the middleweight classes during a golden time for boxing in the 1980s. Quiet with a brooding public persona, Hagler fought 67 times over 14 years as a pro out of Brockton, Massachusetts, finishing 62-3-2 with 52 knockouts.

"If they cut my bald head open, they will find one big boxing glove,'' Hagler once said. "That's all I am. I live it.''

Hagler was unmistakable in the ring, fighting out of a southpaw stance with his bald head glistening in the lights. He was relentless and he was vicious, stopping opponent after opponent during an eight-year run that began with a disputed draw against Vito Antuofermo in 1979 that he later avenged.

Hagler fought with a proverbial chip on his shoulder, convinced that boxing fans and promoters alike didn't give him his proper due. He was so upset that he wasn't introduced before a 1982 fight by his nickname of Marvelous that he went to court to legally change his name.

"He was certainly one of the greatest middleweights ever but one of the greatest people that I've ever been around and promoted,'' promoter Bob Arum said. "He was a real man, loyal and just fantastic person.''

Marvin Hagler was 62-3-2 with 52 knockouts from 1973 to 1987, and he was the undisputed middleweight champion from 1980 to 1987.

Any doubts Hagler wasn't indeed Marvelous were erased on a spring night in 1985. He and Hearns met in one of the era's big middleweight clashes outdoors at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, and when the opening bell rang, they traded punches for three minutes in an opening round many consider the best in boxing history.

Hagler would go on to stop Hearns in the third round, crumpling him to the canvas with a barrage of punches even as blood poured out of a large gash on his forehead that nearly caused the referee to stop the fight earlier in the round.

"When they stopped the fight to look at the cut, I realized they might be playing games and I wasn't going to let them take the title away," Hagler said later. "It was a scary feeling. I thought, 'Why are they stopping this fight?' I didn't realize I was bleeding. It wasn't in my eyes. Then I knew I had to destroy this guy.''

Arum said Hagler simply willed himself to victory over Hearns, whose big right hand was feared in the division but couldn't keep Hagler at bay.

"That was an unbelievable fight,'' Arum said. "Probably the greatest fight ever.''

Hearns said Saturday he was thinking about Hagler and their historic fight. Hagler wore a baseball cap with the word "War'' while promoting it on a 23-city tour with Hearns that Arum said made the fighters despise each other before they even entered the ring.

"I can't take anything away from him,'' Hearns told The Associated Press. "His awkwardness messed me up, but I can't take anything away from him. He fought his heart out, and we put on a great show for all time.''

Hagler would fight only two more times, stopping John Mugabi a year later and then meeting Leonard, who was coming off a three-year layoff from a detached retina, in his final fight in 1987. Hagler was favored going into the fight, and many thought he would destroy Leonard -- but Leonard had other plans.

While Hagler pursued him around the ring, Leonard fought backing up, flicking out his left jab and throwing combinations that didn't hurt Hagler but won him points on the ringside scorecards. Still, when the bell rang at the end of the 12th round, many thought Hagler had pulled out the fight -- only to lose a controversial split decision.

Hagler, who was paid $19 million, left the ring in disgust and never fought again. He moved to Italy to act and never really looked back.

"I feel fortunate to get out of the ring with my faculties and my health,'' he said a year later.

Hagler took the long route to greatness, fighting mostly in the Boston area before finally getting his chance at the 160-pound title in 1979 against Antuofermo as a co-main event, with Leonard fighting Wilfred Benitez on the same card. Hagler bloodied Antuofermo and seemed to win the fight, but when the scorecards were tallied, he was denied the belt with a draw.

Hagler would travel to London the next year to stop Alan Minter to win the title, and he held it for the next seven years before his disputed loss to Leonard.

Arum remembered being at a black-tie event honoring top fighters a year later that was attended by Hagler and Leonard, among others. He said Leonard came up to him and pointed to Hagler across the room and suggested he go talk to him about a rematch that would have earned both fighters unbelievable purses.

"I went over to Marvin and said Ray is talking about a rematch,'' Arum said. "He glared at me as only Marvin could and said, 'Tell Ray to get a life.'''

Hagler was born in Newark, New Jersey, and moved with his family to Brockton in the late 1960s. He was discovered as an amateur by the Petronelli brothers, Goody and Pat, who ran a gym in Brockton and would go on to train Hagler for his entire pro career.

Hagler was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1983.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/31059483/marvin-hagler-middleweight-boxing-great-dies-66

Last edited by TTTDawg; 03/14/21 10:09 AM.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
That was a surprise... RIP Marv

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I always thought he won the fight against Sugar Ray.

RIP

D
Legend
Legend
D
Only a few boxers over the years radiated "menace" the way Hagler did. Guys like a young George Foreman destroying great heavyweights like Frazier and Norton, young Mike Tyson with his relentless will to obliterate opponents, and Roberto Duran who besides having "hands of stone, appeared to be bat-bleep crazy. Marvin Hagler was right near the top of the list in the intimidation department, and probably the greatest middleweight of all time, IMO.

RIP.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

After all these years. I still get chills watching that fight.

It was all war. They unloaded on each other. I never saw a fight that had so many big punches landed.

Incredible.

Legend
OP Online
Legend

Marvin was a great middleweight champion.

The GOAT? There have been many great middleweights Carlos Monson for one.

However, I don't believe among boxing insiders that there is any dispute about the Greatest.

Sugar Ray Robinson.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Awesome fight, thanks for sharing...

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sugar Ray Robinson might be the greatest boxer of all time, pound-for-pound, but I always thought of him mostly as a welterweight - although he did hold the title is several weight classes, including the middles. In other words, you're probably right. Robinson vs Hagler would have been quite a spectacle.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I remember rooting against Hagler, in the Ray Leonard fight, only hearing round by round updates on the radio, because I was forced to be in a car at the time. I thought SRL was the good guy and he had a lot of combinations, (I was told, by the car radio), a lot of combinations put him over the top, in that fight.
It was the only boxing match I payed attention to for 3 years at least.

(DTMB, has a way, of saying the page couldn't load, and I typed this wordy reply on the bottom screen quick reply and all of a sudden it's all gone.)

(2. spellcheck is saying payed is wrong, it wants me to type paid, but since I'm not talking about actual payment, but instead paying attention, I think I'm right and spellcheck is wrong.) Those caused me to lose my train of thought.

Marvin Hagler is a famous boxer who will be missed.

Another reminder of the passage of time, I'm getting too old for this (stuff).

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sad to hear the news. Much like yourself I feel there was no doubt that he hands down beat Sugar Ray Leonard. He was a great champion and was one of my favorite boxers to watch fight in my lifetime.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

There was never a doubt that when Marvin entered the ring. He was ready. A true pro.

You never got cheated with Marvin. He came to put a whupping on you. He had an unreal chin.

Tommy Hearns had one of the most powerful right crosses of all time. He knocked Roberto Duran out with it. The only guy to ever put Duran down.

In the fight against Marvin he landed that punch numerous times. Marvin shook them off.

I always had great respect for him as a "fighter."

Legend
Legend
Very sad. He was a key player at a time when boxing was at it's peak in popularity. It seemed like there was a great fight going on every single weekend. There was a weekly boxing show on USA network, and Showtime/HBO both regularly aired top notch fights. We also had Howard Cosell, Don King, George Foreman comeback, Tyson/Douglas and the Ray Mancini/Duk Kim catastrophe keeping boxing in the headlines.
I googled up "boxing - 1980's" and the list of names brought back memories and blew me away. We will never see anything like this again. People didn't even have to be boxing fans, but I think they would recognize most of these names and others. Along with those already mentioned, we had:

Alexis Arguello
Michale Spinx
Dwight Mohammed Qawi
Matthew Saad Mohammed
Aaron Pryor
Wilfred Benitez
Hector Comacho
Julio Cesar Chavez
Azuma Nelson
Wilfredo Gomez
Pinklon Thomas
Trevor Berbick
Evander Holyfield
Milton McCrory
Donald Curry
Iran Barkley
John The Beast Mugabi etc. etc.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks. Usually something is posted in the title or thread. When I started reading, it just looked like bone wanted to talk about Marvelous Marv.

Marv was a dandy for sure.

R.I.P. Marv

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Thomas Hearns put out a tweet that Hagler was in ICU fighting off side effects after a covid vaccine.
Haglers son said Marvin was rushed to the hospital when he had chest pains and was dead about 4 hrs later

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it is Monzon...but I was going to mention him as well as SR Robinson.

Ahhh...the eternal question...who was the best?

In that division, I go Harry Greb...the Human Windmill. Few know of him anymore.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/01/human-windmill-best-boxer-never-seen-fighting/

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what makes any question about who is the greatest in any sport, or in this case weight division very diffcult.

I think a lot of that would have to be based on who you faced. I think Hagler boxed at a time when the overall competition was the highest it had ever been. There were so many quality boxers in his weight class it makes it hard for me to rate anyone above him.

But then that's also part of who you think was the best based on your generation. I don't have enough information about the quality of competition Greb faced during his time in the ring compared to Hagler to make an informed opinion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Back in my father's generation the biggest sports were Baseball and Boxing.

Joe Louis was the icon of his time. But boxing in the 40's and 50's was huge.

I mentioned Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. That show was in the fifties. Wednesday Night at the fights. Stars were guys like Kid Gavilan, Gene Fullmer, Jake LaMotta, Dick Tiger, Carmen Basilio, Tony Zale.

Everybody knew who the heavyweight champion of the world was and there was only one. Not 3.

I had boxing gloves before I ever got a baseball mit.

At the Catholic elementary school I went to. We boxed in the gym. I loved putting the gloves on.

I am not involved much anymore. Unless it is a huge fight.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't get the vaccine!

RIP Marvin

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's what makes any question about who is the greatest in any sport, or in this case weight division very diffcult.

I think a lot of that would have to be based on who you faced. I think Hagler boxed at a time when the overall competition was the highest it had ever been. There were so many quality boxers in his weight class it makes it hard for me to rate anyone above him.

But then that's also part of who you think was the best based on your generation. I don't have enough information about the quality of competition Greb faced during his time in the ring compared to Hagler to make an informed opinion.

Lets be clear, Greb wasn't my generation. He was born in the late 1890's and fought in to the mid-late 20's, maybe early 30's.

I had heard about the guy when I was a kid. My fathers brother boxed professionally for a while and talked about him.
I know he beat heavyweight champ Gene Tunney, who won 60 some fights and lost only one...to this middleweight. You have to be pretty "bad" to be a middlewight to beat a pretty darn good heavyweight. Tunney wasn't the champ at the time, but still

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Most of us weren't around to see boxing legends like Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, or Rocky Marciano, but thanks to youtube we can see videos of their fights and get a glimpse of what made them great. I've never watched Harry Greb fight, but guys like Bert Sugar have him ranked as pound-for-pound top 5, all-time.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Rocky Marciano stayed at my grandparents house way back when.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You are right when Tunney was young and an upstart, he did lose to Greb. Tunney was so young and unknown that Grebs was a 3 to 1 favorite going into that fight.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Harry_Greb_vs._Gene_Tunney_(1st_meeting)

Did you know they fought five times? Did you know the last time they fought, when Tunney was the champion you describe, that Tunney beat the hell out of him?

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Harry_Greb_vs._Gene_Tunney_(5th_meeting)

Tunny won the second match up.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Harry_Greb_vs._Gene_Tunney_(2nd_meeting)

Tunny won the third match up

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Harry_Greb_vs._Gene_Tunney_(3rd_meeting)

Their fourth fight was a draw.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Harry_Greb_vs._Gene_Tunney_(4th_meeting)

So yes, Greb beat Tunney once out of five times when Tunney was a youngster, long before ever being a champion where he was favored Greb was quite experienced and was a 3 to 1 favorite.

Actual events often times tend to show a different reality than the ones we have built in our minds. That's why I said it's hard to compare boxers from different eras.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Link Copied to Clipboard