Next Thread
Print Thread
#1775991 07/14/20 12:11 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Politics frustrate and anger me.

Sports are dead for now.

Music, ah, sweet music. Always a sanctuary.

This is the place where all music lovers can chime in. Dead Heads or not.

Post your favorite Grateful songs, albums, experience at concerts, gear, or comments about the Grateful Dead.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Man oh man. This could take a bit.
I only saw 25 shows from ‘91-‘95, in seven different states. There were some magical nights mixed in with a few stinkers. But even the stinkers had a touch of magic mixed in. Twice the boys brought tears to my eyes. Once during a rollicking ‘Midnight Hour’ at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Bobby had the place crackling with so much energy. Every hair stood on end as the room filled with celebration. Choked me up. Another moment of tears was from the opposite side of the emotional spectrum. Bruce Hornsby on stage with the boys in Charlotte. They played a heart wrenching version of ‘High Time’. Every line carved its words into my heart.
I saw some beautiful things in my travels. Images that still linger in my soul...
We pulled into a campground in Vermont in ‘95. It was after dark and the moon was full. Just before pulling into the campground we’d passed a broken down school bus/hippy mobile on the highway. A few minutes after we got to our camp spot the bus came limping in. Bellowing smoke and running poorly. The door opened and out poured four beautiful girls. Though their ride was in obvious need of repair they exited the bus with smiles on their faces and an obvious sense of relief to be ‘home’. One of the girls grabbed a blanket and threw it on the hood of the bus. She climbed up onto the hood and leaned back against the windshield. The image of her, beautiful as she was, relaxing after what was probably a long day on the road, campfire smoke lingering in the air, full moon overhead... that image has stayed with me all these years later. It was a moment in time that captured so much of what it meant to be on the road following ‘the circus’. Over the next two and a half days those girls hitched rides to the shows, and in their down time they tore that bus engine apart in the campground. By the time the circus was ready to move to the next city their bus fired up and sounded like it was running like new. Girl power!
My buddy and I traveled the Midwest and east coast in his 1987 Mustang. It was a pile. We kept it running somehow. At one point I went to drain and replace the coolant. When I turned the drain the end just broke off. Neither of us had the coin to fix it properly. I bush fixed it using pipe dope and a piece of dowel rod. It held, miraculously.
He and I worked hard on tour. We sold grilled cheese, handmade devil sticks, and beers. It was challenging pulling into a new city with only a map and trying to find a campground, and good beer store. No internet to make the hard work easy. Finding Sammy Smiths (a good beer) in a new city was always a challenge. But everyone sold cheap beer so it was hard to make money that way. All I had to do with Sammy’s was hold them up and walk away from the stashed cooler, a method used to prevent having the cops take all the beer when they’d catch you vending. People would see those bottles and come to me like a moth to a flame. $3 per. A profit of $1.25. I could sling 50+ beers after a show. Grilled cheese had a nice profit built in. A loaf of $0.99 bread, some cheap cheese slices. Charge $1 per.... Gas money made easy. I’d often times walk away with other treats too... Stickers, doses, herb, etc.
It meant leaving shows before the encore as I’d have to get to the car to drag the cooler, and stove in the case of slinging grilled cheese. With this I missed certain things. I was at the last Grateful Dead concert ever 7/9/95 Soldier Field... but I missed the last song they ever played as I was in the lot waiting for the throngs of attendees to pour out... hungry and thirsty.
It wasn’t always easy. I actually sobered up/stopped drinking on tour. It was just too hard to stay focused enough to vend and make money to get to the next city when I was drinking. Add the fact that after a show the roads were filled with folks of varying levels of sobriety. Being sober was a means of self protection.
The Grateful Dead really helped me through an incredibly rough patch in my life. I dropped out of society for a couple years after a really bad breakup. Heartbroken. Mentally broken. My life had lost much of its meaning. Jumping on the road woke up a part of me that I thought had died with that relationship. Joy. I found my tribe and traveled with them. Celebrated with them. Sobered up around them.
I could tell stories of those times for hours. They are entrenched deeply in my soul.
The Grateful Dead and the time I spent with them forever changed me. For this I’m grateful.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The most blazing Scarlet/Fire...

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ve had two pets of my own that I’ve named.
China was a kitten I got in the spring of ‘95. He was my China Cat.
Samson was my dear sweet pup that tragically died young last year.
I foresee a Delilah, or Cassidy, or Althea, or Stella in my future... as we’re actively in the search for our next pit puppy.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Oh, I was also inside Deer Creek when the gate crashing happened. That event caused a cancelation of the next night’s show. Which I also had tickets for.
For my thoughts on gate crashers look up Keller Williams’ song Gate Crashers Suck. He too was at the show as a young fan. Now as a professional traveling musician himself he’s got a platform to voice his thoughts on the event. I’d post it here but I’d get tossed for a week.

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" are my two studio favorites.

"Europe '72" is my favorite live.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I knew this topic would strike a chord with you Port.

Great stories.

I can't quite remember the date of the show I saw at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. My guess is mid-eighties.

The Fox Theater is an old movie house that was renovated and became the premier place in Atlanta to see bands.

The acoustics in there are just exceptional. I had great seats on the floor and up close. Went to the john and was headed back to my seat. As I stood in the back on the ground floor I stopped and just listened. It was like sound perfection. I have seen many bands over my lifetime. Legends of music. I never heard anything like that before or since. This was when the Dead traveled with the Wall of sound. Hundreds of small speakers arranged to the room acoustics. They were so tight. So in sync with each other.
Amazing.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
There’s this beauty... Bruce Hornsby and Bradford Marsalis adding their immense skills...
Not a Fade Away>Eyes of the World

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Would you hear my voice come through the music
Would you hold it near as it were your own?
It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow
Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men
There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow
You who choose to lead must follow
But if you fall you fall alone
If you should stand then who's to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home
==========================================

Life lessons in a song. Incredible lyrics.

Last edited by bonefish; 07/15/20 05:43 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm no dead fan,but it seems alot of people are.
there is a Celtic band that puts many of the Dead's songs to either a jig or reel tempo.There are called Wake the Dead (in my house they are known as Fast Forward)
None of you purists will like it and it is a crappy song,but it's live.
Scarlet Begonias

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm not very well at preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and the message that what we see,
when we Jesus on the Cross, is

Well God says all men (people) are sinners, and there was/is a need for a sacrifice for that, a payment to make up for the sinfulness and actions of mankind,
and it has to be pure,
and a bunch of the Old Testament of the Holy Bible is God talking to his people, the people of Israel, and being real picky about how the sacrifice has to be pure, and then really beating (the horse) of the message again and again, really stressing it.

and After many generations of years, of people sacrificing, lambs, and rams, and birds and stuff, which had to be pure and spotless, (there was always a promise that Mesiah was on the way)

well, Jesus is that Mesiah, and God sent Him, to earth, as God's only begotton son, (and there was a bunch of emphasis on the begotton's of folks) to show it's importance,

But the Gospel, the Good news, as it's translated, the Gospel is that God, Sent Jesus to earth, for the express purpose,
to be the pure sacrifice, and die, in the place of mankind, as a payment, to God, because someone has to pay, for the sinfulness of mankind, in
not only doing wrong, but in forgetting God, and not doing, (which is frankly impossible to do, but) not properly Worshiping God as God's Holiness requires

which is beyond ever being able to be measured.
So That,
Only God himself, could be the pure enough, sacrifice, To God, in payment, for Mankind not being able to properly Worship, become humble before, and obey, be obedient to, God.

But what we have, on the Cross, is, Evidence, that God,
Loves the world, (mankind), so much, that he even gave up his only Begotton Son, Jesus,
to die, and
allow himself be put to death by the governments, and worldliness of sinful, people of the world who think they know better,

which is, AS , a Payment, and in Jesus' case an act of Obedience, to serve as an example to us to be obedient to the end,

And then since evidence, We know GOD, Holy GOD, intends creation to be ruled by LOVE, not Wrath,

and this act, of evidence, The Cross, was not only done for all of mankinds sins, but for individual men, and women, for individual persons' sins

Yours and Mine, Jesus died for you, and died for me.
edit:
and whosoever will Believe on Him, Believe on the name of Jesus Christ, will have salvation and not perish.

------
Why do I say this? Because as parts of the Bible tell me, there are some whom we were once like,
there was a time
( I couldn't believe I lived x years in the USA and had gone to church and nobody ever told me the, what the, what the message of the gospel was for, x- so many years)

and in that before time, before I'd heard the Gospel, there was a time, where

I'd have rage, and inner hate on levels, and try to seak out a different type of music
just a some
some - different brand, or style of music, to make me feel, somehow different than that inner pain or hate inside.
and then looked for other music with varying success.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 01/18/21 11:12 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

At the bottom of the page it says that you edited this post?

So you read your post and made changes?

Why did you write what you wrote on a thread about the Grateful Dead?

In fact what does religion have to do with this at all?

I am not trying to get on you. But you may need to seek some help. Reading your post it seems that you are dealing with some problems professionals could help you with.

I am not being critical. And don't want you to take this wrong. But there are professionals that could help you.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
THROWS post was more nonsensical than The Eleven. It makes reading the lyrics to China Cat Sunflower seem thespian.
For real. I’m not sure even Phish could turn that rambling incoherent mess into a song.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I’ve had two pets of my own that I’ve named.
China was a kitten I got in the spring of ‘95. He was my China Cat.
Samson was my dear sweet pup that tragically died young last year.
I foresee a Delilah, or Cassidy, or Althea, or Stella in my future... as we’re actively in the search for our next pit puppy.

Since this post we’ve adopted a new puppy. He’s now 8 months old. A 70 pound and growing pit/mastiff mix. His name?... Charlie... aka Cosmic Charlie.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cosmic Charlie...

This one is for you THROW. Maybe you can translate it for the rest of us...

The Eleven...
High green chilly winds and windy vines
In loops around the twisted shafts of lavender,
They're crawling to the sun.
Underfoot the ground is patched
With arms of ivy wrapped around the manzanita,
Stark and shiny in the breeze.
Wonder who will water all the children of the garden
When they sigh about the barren lack of rain and
Droop so hungry neath the sky.
William Tell has stretched his bow till it won't stretch
No furthermore and/or it may require a change that hasn't come before.
No more time to tell how, this is the season of what,
Now is the time of returning with our thought
Jewels polished and gleaming.
Now is the time past believing the child has relinquished the rein,
Now is the test of the boomerang tossed in the night of redeeming.
Seven faced marble eyed transitory dream doll,
Six proud walkers on the jingle bell rainbow,
Five men writing with fingers of gold,
Four men tracking down the great white sperm whale,
Three girls waiting in a foreign dominion
Riding in the whale belly, fade away in moonlight,
Sink beneath the waters to the coral sands below.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Good for you Port.

Glad you got another dog. They bring great joy and companionship.

I shared a story of my dog friend Ghost. He is still in Reno with his owners. They sent me some very cool photos. One was Ghost with a new pet hamster sitting on his head. Just like Ghost. Gentle giant. I miss him big time.

At 73 given current circumstances another dog doesn't fit.

We have a cat. Pudge is a cool cat. Low maintenance, curious, fun, interactive. Not a dog but a good pet.

Glad you got a pup.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I had something cynical and smartass to say,but after reading Throw's post,I'm completely baffled and forgot whatever it was that was rolling around in my feeble brain.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The Music Never Stopped. Off the top of my head I’d have to say that’s my jam. My favorite Dead song. But there is an insane amount of music to choose from. My favorite Dead song probably really changes by the hour.

I caught on super late. In college in the 90s. Only ever got to see them live twice, on Jerry’s final tour. D.C. at ol’ RFK Stadium and Pittsburgh at ol’ Three Rivers. Had a blast. But what I wouldn’t give to be able see them in the 70s. Had to have been otherworldly.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Politics frustrate and anger me.

Sports are dead for now.

Music, ah, sweet music. Always a sanctuary.

This is the place where all music lovers can chime in. Dead Heads or not.

So to help you with your frustration and anger,
I was trying to help you out, music provides no answers.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

At the bottom of the page it says that you edited this post?

So you read your post and made changes?

Went through the whole thing and realized I'd forgotten to include the two lines after where I put the word "edit".

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I guess we don't look at things the same.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
While not the known quantity of Workingman’s Dead, or American Beauty, my favorite studio dead album would be a toss up between Blues for Allah, and Wake of the Flood.
Blues for Allah was steeped in rhythm. The guys were on fire. It just opens so strong.
Help>Slip>Frank... you also get Music Never Stopped... and Crazy Fingers.
Just so much goodness.
[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF8n9rn8DBfdT-P7aNkDTajo8SoeGwnNd[/video]

Blues was a different album than Wake of the Flood. A more subdued venture. Great tracks from the start. Quintessential Dead... Mississippi Half Step, Row Jimmy, Stella Blue, Here Comes Sunshine, Eyes of the World... all songs that’d go on to be legendary in Dead lore.
[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA2-nXsHvm3LP-m3GjH_TS3OA6tqpPj4P[/video]

Of their live albums I’d probably start with Without a Net. While it’s later Dead it’s still Jerry playing at an incredibly high level. Add Branford into the mix... just so much heart on that double album.
And this Althea can’t be matched...

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In Sync there.

What you posted are the same Albums I would have posted.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Wake is probably more listenable to an outsider. I little more song structure. It’s got that more laid back, alt country feel. Much like Workingman’s.
Blues is a little over produced as a whole. The power of Franklin’s Tower live isn’t heard in the studio recording.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

IMO the full scope of their music is sometimes lost.

"Jam band" is a perception on how some people see the Dead.

On a drive from Reno to north of Bend to visit my son. I heard an interview with a group of people that were a part of the Dead and their recordings.

Interesting takes on albums like American Beauty.

The one thing that came through loud and clear was professionalism. How organized and thorough the band members are. True dedicated professionals.

Their music covers so much ground. "Blues" is a perfect example.

Even within songs like Weather Report Suite.

"And like a desert spring, my lover comes and spreads her wings, Knowing,
Like a song that's born to soar the sky, Flowing,
Flowing 'til the waters all are dry, Growing, the loving in her eyes.
Circle songs and sands of time, and seasons will end in tumbled rhyme,
And little change, the wind and rain."

I mean damn. And the way that song moves musically.

I love lyrics. I read Dylan, Young, Waits, and the Dead for their visual imagery.

When song writing becomes messages for how to live. They leave an imprint not just some playful notes.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Help On the Way...

Paradise waits On the crest of a wave her angels in flame
She has no pain
Like a child she is pure, she is not to blame
Poised for flight, wings spread bright
Spring from night into the sun
Don't stop to run
She can fly like a lie, she can't be outdone

Tell me the cost
I can pay, let me go, tell me love is not lost
Sell everything
Without love day to day, insanity's king
I will pay, day by day
Anyway, lock, bolt and key
Crippled but free
I was blind all the time I was learning to see

Help on the way
Well I know only this, I've got you today
Don't fly away
'Cause I love what I love and I want it that way
I will stay, one more day
Like I say, honey, it's you
Making it too
Without love in the dream it'll never come true

I mean damn son. Line after line of powerful prose.

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
j/c:

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention the live album "Reckoning". Lots of good acoustic stuff. Good cross-country driving music (I found).

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I miss that fat old man.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Every once in while when you cruise the internet. There will be a picture in a box of a famous guitar player. And the caption will read the 20 greatest guitar players or 50 or something like that.

I will check it out for grins. So much of some lists are heavy metal.

I have not seen Jerry listed or Ry Cooder, or Stephen Stills, Wes Montgomery, or Kenny Burrell.

The lists are so subjective.

It is absurd to think Jerry is not one of the best.

But yes I miss him as well.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Jerry might actually still be alive... do a Google image search. Type in ‘Russell Crowe tennis’.
I’ll just say his gladiator days are over. He ate them... and everything else at the buffet. Yikes!

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Dead Heads Unite

Link Copied to Clipboard