Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Alex Smith Announces Retirement

Veteran quarterback Alex Smith, who made a remarkable comeback from an injury that nearly cost him his right leg, announced Monday on Instagram that he is retiring from football.

Smith, 36, was the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year in 2020 after helping lead the Washington Football Team to the NFC East title. His tenure with Washington was defined by the broken right fibula and tibia that he suffered in November 2018 and his subsequent comeback, with his first game action on Oct. 11, 2020.

In between, Smith underwent 17 surgeries to fight an infection and opted not to have his leg amputated. His battle to return to action was the subject of an ESPN documentary, Project 11, that aired last spring, and Smith kept fighting, passing numerous tests and milestones along the way to being cleared by doctors.

Smith said in the video posted Monday to Instagram that although he has "plenty of snaps left in me," he is looking forward to spending more time with his family and "can't wait to see what else is possible" after 16 years in the NFL.

Smith was drafted No. 1 overall by the 49ers in 2005 and spent eight seasons in San Francisco before joining the Chiefs in 2013. The three-time Pro Bowler is 27th all time in the NFL with 35,650 career passing yards. He appeared in 174 games total with San Francisco, Kansas City and Washington, throwing 199 touchdown passes.

Smith was released by Washington last month with two years remaining on his contract in a move that saved the team $14.9 million against the salary cap.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 04/19/21 12:54 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
His comeback is one of my favorite NFL stories of all time. That he had the chance to play again after what he went through is truly incredible.

This said, I'm not surprised of his decision. I wish him luck in the next chapter of his life.

O
Legend
Legend
O
It's a bummer his career was cut short, as it felt like he was just kinda hitting his stride when he left KC. That said, I'd imagine this latest decision is probably best for his health and his story, as it is, is remarkable and inspiring.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
He was just one of those guys it was hard not to support in coming back. I think he made his point and is ready to move on. I wish him well.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Major respect to Alex Smith.

He has had a career that required perseverance. He struggled early after being selected first overall. Went through head coaches and coordinators. He was thrown away as a failure. Resurrected his career in KC. Tutored Mahomes. Then tossed away again.

Then his injury. Never have I seen anything comparable to that. He is fortunate to have lived.

Then to come back and play after that. Incredible courage.

I wish him well in his life after football. I am sure he will do well in anything he takes on.

T
Legend
Legend
T
He was a feel good story, but his leg was not fit to play in the NFL, even when he suited up last year.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Good.

He was a good player, made lot's of money, and inspired many people with his comeback. Nothing to be ashamed of there. He really doesn't have anyrhing left to prove and he retires on his terms.

Well done Alex. Go enjoy a long, fruitful life after football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’m glad to see him retire honestly (and I was glad to see him return). Good for him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
A pretty amazing story..Good luck in the Future Alex

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I agree... hope he writes an autobiography at some point...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
His comeback was inspirational, and I am glad he isn't crippled for the rest of his life. The getting is good in this moment. Sit back, and watch some ball. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Alex Smith Announces Retirement

Link Copied to Clipboard