L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
I will take investment advice from my dog before I treat what other fans say about our players as credible. There are exceptions of course (not on the investment advice).
Could you ask your dog if I should invest in Chewy? smile

She approves

My dog says that the time to invest in chewy.com was when they split from Petsmart. He says that their stock went up quite quickly, peaking in mid-January, (around $112/share) and then settling back into a still overpriced $80/share ... but what does he know? He's only a 3 year old dog. wink rofl

Still just a pup, I wouldn’t take his stock advice.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
The opposing fan perception of Baker is still mindboggling.

A lot of opposing team's fans consider Baker to still be Johnny 2.0, lacking leadership and that we have a hole at QB and we won't win until we get a new one.

Baker is one of the best leaders in the game. Do people not watch the Browns or something?

I've even made a bet with someone that Baker will throw over 28+ TDs (his number not mine) this season. He thinks he has the bet in the bag. I would have put the number closer to 30. But the guy honestly believes Baker won't have 28 touchdown passes. I think I'll win around the 12th game mark. On top of that there's 17 games in case I don't.

What am I missing? Is he just still getting disrespected? Am I overrating him (can't be)? A little of both?

100% agree... I think he can come off as cocky at times and might not be the most gifted athlete... but his teammates LOVE him and he's amazing when he has a chip on his shoulder... his biggest attribute is his leadership skills IMO.... he also seems to work extremely hard which is something Johnny football NEVER did...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from (although we were the 6th seed not 7th). I guess in a way it's good to be underrated.

The script always seems to be Baker isn't good or there's an excuse as to why he played well. Last year it was the offensive line. Curious to see why he's good this year.

I guess I shouldn't be worried why people are underrating him. Just let them figure it out or watch as we blow by.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wish I could bring myself to like your last post. It was pretty much spot on. But as a Browns fan, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I simply tried to write the most brutally honest perspective that I could and that is it, and I didn't even bring up playing the NFC East (and somehow losing to the Jets!) and Cinci twice to account for almost half of our wins.

If they want to be viewed as good, then they have to prove it, and you have to continue to do it over and over again before you're EXPECTED to be good. This crew has earned nothing, yet. Last year doesn't count for anything because, right now, it's an anomaly. It isn't our track record or our mean. You are who you are and you have to continually show and prove who you are, otherwise you're just resting on yesterday's laurels.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I agree with you. I just don't have to like it. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
This ought to go over like a lead balloon, on this board.

I think Mayfield is the Quarterback, and it's no time to let him get away. Contract.
If you consider, current contracts, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, former ones of Roethlsburger, or Brees, Tom Brady, and elsewhere I looked.

And, I started, w/ Big Ben and Brady, somebody is 38, Baker, I don't want to lock up for just 2 years, or anything like that, so I started with the age, 32 years 9 months. Before I even saw his April Birthdate.
9 Months ends him in January, that means 33rd birthday ends the season.

That's 7 years not 6, I know he wears #6, but 7 years, and I thin it's team friendly, because once the deal is signed, other contracts are just going to go up, so I figure the earlier a long term deal could occur the better the cost.
It's a Yikes moment to consider, but, I think the "first" team to sign their QB, out of,
Bills, Browns, Ravens, will get the best economic deal, perhaps, at least not face (the wrong end of leverage).

If Russell Wilson, is in 4 year 140 million, 35 million per, with 70 million guaranteed,
Then I think this Yikes number, I would, I mean I wouldn't be surprised.
I'd love to see the Browns had locked up Baker Mayfield for the next 7 years and to know that I'd never have to watch his, at least any years before age 33, where another team steals him to win with them.

And if Kirk Cousins, well, Kirk Cousins hasn't won any Super Bowls.
Click to reveal..
7 years, 250,000,000, that's a quarter of a billion, with an average, 35,714,286. per year,... 60,000,000 guaranteed, the remaining 190,000,000 spread out over 7 years, that's 27,142,857. which would only get more affordable, and no worries until he is 33. Would be a range I'd expect, whatever just a guess.

And that is a yikes number, but in my mind I am all in, the Browns didn't have a top quarterback for so many years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think Baker is a top 6 Qb in the NFL at any point but can't for sure reconcile who the other QB's are, so let me consider which teams, I would myself legitimately believe he would/should start if on that team, Today.

Tennessee, Yes, He's better than Tannehill, by 20%
Indianapolis, Yes, Wentz was benched for Jalen Ramsey, and
Jacksonville, Yes, and none of these teams have rookie QB's if Baker were on them.
Houston, Yes, today, 6 months ago it was a ?, But today is the question.

San Diego, Herbert? Baker Starts.
Kansas City, No, Today Mahomes would start
Oakl- Los Vegas, Carr, or Mariotta, ... close, this is a Question, because Carr has such a measureable, but he's inconsistent. Would have to switch to Baker but for the first game Carr, frown and the question is today so, a no.
Denver, Baker starts.

Pittsburh,
Baltiore
Cincy
Cleveland, He starts all 4 guys, Lamar would move to slash h-back, Let's be real, Burrow? NOt even close he's 0-2 vs Clevelnd, tied philly , doesn't win.

New England, Oh ya, they mmigh have to hire a new coach but Bakers going to start, rofl just kidding. yes, Bill would recognize a winner, even it its not his style.
Buffalo, nope, Buffalo, dog gone it, Baker' was clearly the better QB on draft day, but, today, today what's his name has a rapport on that team, I blanking on his name. Josh Johnson?

Miami, Tua- Baker, Baker starts! no question.
Ny Jets, Baker starts. and they wouldn't have drafted these rookies.

NFC
Carolina Baker, ( cant think of who they have)
New Orleans, Yes, He would have started since mid last year. ... OK, maybe, but only because Brees was breaking records, but the question is Today, yes Baker would start in New Orleans.
Tampa Bay, No, Tom starts and I am not a fan of Tom, everybody else can root or him. ( It was looking close a couple weeks mid last year.)
Atlanta, this is a ?, because I don't know a bunch about Matt Ryan except hes real versatile, and it feels like he's 39 years old, but I don't know his age, sigh: realistically, Matt Ryan starts, today, but Bakers' on his heels.

Minnesota? Baker, seriously, Kirk Cousins' was overrated after that one good year in Wash. iirc.
Green Bay, ?, well, you guys would, but I wouldn't, so today, one game, Rodgers starts, but everybody'd know the future is Baker there.
Chicago, Baker, and ?? Foles of 2018-2019, Foles of 2018 I'd put neck and neck w/Baker, but somehow Chicago ruined him? so the question is today? Baker
Detroit, who do they have, Goff, Oh I like Goff, Everyone else would say Baker, but Goff is like Baker Kryptonite, head to head he'd fare well in the optics. I'd say Goff starts in Detroit today, one game.

San Frncisco Baker
Arizona Baker, (not as close as they'll want you to believe, Kyler Murray is fake good, like Tua, I think.)
Rams, Matt Stafford, I think Baker starts, ok, no they just traded for Matt, so the first game, but by month's end they'd switch to Baker.

Seattle, here's the deal, Baker Starts if you could give Baker the same history and popularity, which he would have because he's 1 percent better than Russell, on Russells best day, (AT LEAST!), but that doesn't overcome the popularity contest for 1 game, so Russell Wilson starts is the answer.

Philadelphia Baker
Washington, Baker
NY Giants, Baker,
Dallas, ? Who we kidding, it's not 2019, Baker starts.

I don't know if that equals out to top 6 Qb in the league, but on any given day I think he's a top 6 Qb in the NFL.
I'm just not sure who the others are.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Respectfully, these are horrible takes.
You think Baker would start over Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow? But Jared Goff would start over Baker?
You can be a homer about Baker and say he's better than most QBs, but at least be consistent.

Also, where are you getting your stats?
"Baker is better than Tannehill, by 20%"
"Baker is 1% better than Russel Wilson."
Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this without backing it up with some sort of stat line.

I believe in Baker as a franchise QB, and I want him to do well, but I also think it's helpful to remain realistic.
Turning this forum into an echo chamber of Baker being the greatest of all time isn't helpful discussion IMHO.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: TheSwannyOne

Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this…

… you must not know TL well. These types of takes are his bread and butter.

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
He's only been here couple months, he has yet to learn the one and only truth is only what poster says. smile

And the line "Stats are for morons." smile

Last edited by FloridaFan; 05/18/21 03:26 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You think Baker would start over Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow? But Jared Goff would start over Baker?
You can be a homer about Baker and say he's better than most QBs, but at least be consistent.

Whether he's truly better or not, I feel like you can't just say things like this without backing it up with some sort of stat line.

I believe in Baker as a franchise QB, and I want him to do well, but I also think it's helpful to remain realistic.
Turning this forum into an echo chamber of Baker being the greatest of all time isn't helpful discussion IMHO.

Here is a hint. Click on the user name, and there is a "ignore this user" option.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

And the line "Stats are for morons losers." smile

This place could use a little more DiamDawg.

Browns is the Browns

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Haha, fair enough. I will keep that in mind.

Also, while I have only had my account for a few months, I had been lurking on this forum for awhile without creating an account. I finally ended up making one in this past offseason.

I used to read about everything Browns related on the r/Browns subreddit. I decided to leave the reddit platform altogether. Never looking back.

Cheers to all of you for being around on this discussion board for so long! I really enjoy hearing all of your input. Coming here is almost the exact opposite of reading tweets from MKC or national sports talking heads.

To get things back on topic of this board, I'll just say I personally feel picking up the 5th year option for Baker and not signing a huge contract this year was best case scenario.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

Here is a hint. Click on the user name, and there is a "ignore this user" option.

It has served me well with the two posters I have on ignore. I just wish people would stop quoting their drivel. wink

And I ain’t talkin’ ‘bout Swammy.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

And the line "Stats are for morons losers." smile

This place could use a little more DiamDawg.

[chuckle] He's been AWOL for some time now.
Anyone have news about him?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
He was lurking for a while, but was taking a break from posting or being active. Haven't seen or heard from him since the playoffs, I think.

Browns is the Browns

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He may have gotten stranded on ‘the island’ after the playoff loss. Has anyone been back to check?

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Exercise 5th-Year Options On Mayfield and Ward

Link Copied to Clipboard