Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I didn’t know Newsome went to IMG Academy for his last year of his school. That place is basically a training ground for pro athletes. It probably doesn’t mean much but I think it bumps his likelihood to be a quality player up.

Legend
Legend

In the past I could almost guarantee that some knucklehead move would be made. Moves that right away you would think "what are they thinking?"

Not Berry and staff. I don't think that will happen. Sure some player will not work out. But it will not be because of things like what happened with Callaway.

The criteria of tough, smart, accountable is not just lip service.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've heard all the fluff but not really impressed.

I'd rather have gone LB or DT.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would rather have gone on a trip to Hawaii but......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
1st String
1st String
B
sounds like we got a good player, can't be mad about that, plenty of potential and now he's got to get on the field and prove himself at the next level. I think he will, seems to have the talent.

Legend
Legend

I disagree.

I don't think you can approach the draft that way.

It is all about value. Value when you pick and value of position.

Both Ward and Greedy have had injuries. Corner is a must have position. Especially in what Woods wants to do. Hill is a slot corner. We are going to go use nickle and dime as a base defense. You have to have corners who can play press, off and zone. Newsome can do that.

PFF grades Newsome very high.

DT in this draft? not one had a first round grade. Taking one would have been a reach.

LB is scheme dependent. In most cases we will use two lb's and some cases one. In our defense corner is way more important.

I expect we will add a linebacker in this draft in round two or three.

We need a DT and I think we may make a play for Levi Onwuzurike who was the top ranked DT by most analysts.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I disagree.

It is all about value........

Value when you pick and value of position.

******** It's about the team that takes the field in September!
It's about the Super Bowl!
Forget about being the best team in April.
And Ya can't win the Super Bowl in Arpil, but you can lose it.

Don't care about losing value in April care about The Super Bowl.

At the end of the process, what does your team look like?
" I didn't get fleeced on the trade value chart" means nothing, what has meaning is what your team looks like when you're done.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

I really do not know your point?

You build a team to win the Super Bowl of course that is the goal.

Draft strategy is an entirely different strategy. It is not the immediate impact but more about developing future players and cap management.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Based on who was available I thought it was a very good pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

There are a hand full of players I would have felt comfortable with them selecting at #26. New2 was one of them. This FO has their methods and scheme fit seems to be an important part of the puzzle.

Will they make mistakes and make some errors in the draft? Most likely. Nobody bats 1.000. But this is the most comfortable I've felt in some time that all cylinders are working together in the engine we call The Cleveland Browns.

That is all you can ask that everybody is pulling in the same direction, and we seem to be doing that. The Big 3 of Stefanski, Berry, and Depo all bring their skills to the table to help complement each other. Each is pretty good at what they do.

No doubt it isn't always going to work out. Maybe it was depo who a few years ago said something along the lines of this is trying to make perfect a imperfect process. How true.

You can think you have everything right, and even if you do, for one reason or another players can simply suck or bust for some reason. Coaches can have a perfect plan, until it isn't because some other coach had a more perfect plan or your players didn't execute the plan, or other players didn't allow your players to execute. That is the imperfect part of this whole deal.

Indeed, we have good executive planning and research and good coaching. You can't ask for more, even when something doesn't work because as Depo said, the whole thing is basically imperfect. Some things you just can't control. All you can do is try to make it as perfect as possible.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I disagree.

It is all about value. Value when you pick and value of position.

Both Ward and Greedy have had injuries. Corner is a must have position. Especially in what Woods wants to do. Hill is a slot corner. We are going to go use nickle and dime as a base defense. You have to have corners who can play press, off and zone. Newsome can do that.

PFF grades Newsome very high.

DT in this draft? not one had a first round grade. Taking one would have been a reach.

LB is scheme dependent. In most cases we will use two lb's and some cases one. In our defense corner is way more important.

I expect we will add a linebacker in this draft in round two or three.

We need a DT and I think we may make a play for Levi Onwuzurike who was the top ranked DT by most analysts.

Bone, you may have addressed this but what are your round 2/3 hopeful picks?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Imagine graduating from college at age 20.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Didn't you graduate kindergarten at 20?

Legend
Legend

I would love to trade up and get JOK.

I don't think they will. I don't know with the scheme that Woods wants to run what role he wants the linebackers to serve.

I see JOK as WILL in a 4-3. Use two linebackers. One in gap protection and the other a rover. Rover is the role I see for JOK.

Woods may want his linebackers to be more in run support and to be able to play zone? I don't know.

Levi Onwuzurike would be another guy I would target.

I am not a fan of Barmore.
======================================

IMO Berry will hold his pick and take BPA. That could be receiver, or a OL to develop. He will stick to his plan. And he has way more info than I.

I love JOK. I think if there is a plan to use him. He will be the steal in the draft. He is a exceptional football player. He can cover a slot receiver, blitz the qb, cover a back or TE. Play zone or press man. He is super instinctual.

His coach at ND said you have to have a plan for him. I believe that.

I think they have their eye on Jabril Cox in the third.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Yes. Which is why I am impressed by someone graduating college at that same age.

Also, you don't graduate from kindergarten. You are promoted to first grade.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I feel like, if they didn't like J Owusu Koromoah, better than Greg Newsom II
then maybe the unknown issue is a real issue and hopefully they can take him off, maybe some other team can land him. Or draft him in the 6th.

Pete Werner can do all those listed things, Cover the slot, blitz the Qb, cover a back or TE, play zone or Press man, he is super instinctual,

and Jammin Davis could, (has been selected) and Zaven Collins,

not infatuated with Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah, maybe the Cowboys can take him and stand him next to Parsons, 2 rovers, no system.
( I really don't know what th I'm talking about)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Ben St. Juste, Cb. Minnesota, 2 year degeree.
6'3 200 4.51, 18 games 13 pbus that's it. Cb 12 pff.
smoothe possible 3rd CB in this draft? No production?

All Pro
All Pro

I would love to trade up and get JOK.

I don't think they will. I don't know with the scheme that Woods wants to run what role he wants the linebackers to serve.

I see JOK as WILL in a 4-3. Use two linebackers. One in gap protection and the other a rover. Rover is the role I see for JOK.

Woods may want his linebackers to be more in run support and to be able to play zone? I don't know.

A little late on the response, just wanted to make sure you didn't die of a heart attack yesterday smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Newsome is in the 2nd segment.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Browns select Greg Newsome with the 26th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard