Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I laid out much of this in a thread from Sat morning that got no mojo. Two posters 'Like'd' it so I am recycling it here naughtydevil with the knowledge of a completed draft and (3) UDFA signings. (Note: I was going to put this in the 'Random Draft Thoughts' thread, but that's already (9+) pages long.) The updates after yesterday are in white.

CB

With the Newsome pick, we now have (8) CBs on the roster. I imagine we will take (8)-(9) to the 53. Two of these guys essentially didn't play last year (Brian Allen & AJ Green) and one guy's name is Robert Jackson. Another guy missed last season with nerve damage in his shoulder.

We didn't draft another CB after Rd #1 and snagged a UDFA. Given the sheer numbers (list above) that will lkiely make the 53, it appears that the FO MUST have confidence that a few (at least) of the new guys (backups) can contribute...I'd bet we intend to snag a vet or two here.

WR

With the Schwartz pick, we now have (11) WRs on the roster. I expect we will take (6) to the 53.

There will be some interesting cuts here and probably two guys on the PS who will be quite poach-able.

LB

With the JOK pick, we now have (8) LBs on the roster. I imagine we will take (6) to the 53.

We added Fields after that comment...so we have (9) guys now to look at. Wilson, Meander and Lee likely just got cut. There is a lot of time between now and Opening Day.

Question: How will we (and especially Doug Dieken) refer to him? As J.O.K (as in Jay Oh Kay) or Jock or Joke(r)?

IOL

Before day 3, have (10) IOL on the roster. I look at Forbes and Gossett as day 3 picks that we've had on the team long enough to (at least) not-yet-have released them...plus Dunn & Hance who looked darn good at the end of last year. That's (4) G's who weren't in TC last year. I can't imagine we need to look at an 11th guy unless Harris isn't going to cut it at C and none of the "new" (4) guys can play C.

I think we have a ton (2+ tons actually) of guys to consider here...and with Callahan on board...my goodness. I'm having an as-yet, unsubstantiated concern about the C position (backup). I'd bet one of those IOL guys is going to workout at C during camp.

IDL

Before day 3, we have (4) IDL guys on the roster. One is Sheldon Day. IDL rivals CB for most-thin depth on the team. I hope we draft (1) AND bring back SR.

So...we drafted a 3T and signed a 1T who is believed-to-be versatile. Nice...and much needed. With SR gone (still for now), Malik J is the only IDL who "can" play at DE...I believe he started his career at DE. I'm curious to see if he will play DE at times. That would improve the DE depth if he can do it. I know a SR return would leave us with (6) IDLs...but then (2) who would be excellent DE depth. (I don't think either scenario is likely...fun to think about though.)

TE /RB / QB

I'm not bothering with looking at the numbers at these positions. I certainly don't see a need to do anything here right now...especially after seeing the CB / IDL "depth" and the following DE look.

I like the Felton flyer. He's destined to the PS for now.

OT

Before day 3, we have (5) OTs on the roster...and (2) are clearly "developmental" guys in Taylor & Senat (Senat has a few years in the league.) And Hubbard. We may have some need here but I'm not sure what we could find on day 3 that would be much better. Feels like a cut, vet signing at some point.

I was surprised/not-surprised at the Hudson pick...not anymore after reading and seeing more. Great feet but short-ish arms...hmmmm...sounds like a C?

DE

Before day 3, we have (7) guys on the roster. Curtis Weaver is the quasi-5th Rd, new guy who we've had for a season. That list of (7) includes the non-musician Joe Jackson and one Cameron Malveaux. If not for CB and IDL depth, this could be considered one of our "thinner" position groups. I have a funny feeling that Vernon will get a look when he's healed up and re-habbed.

I'm getting that same (homer) feeling about DE as I am about CB. They must think that the 'depth' here is decent-enough and/or that they can add another vet(s). Think if we go with (8) to the 53...without other pickups, that would mean that all (8) guys on the roster make the 53...including Jackson, Malveaux and the UDFA. I dunno about that...I feel better about the Brain Allens and the AJ Greens of the CB group than I do about the Jackson, Malveaux and new UDFA group. Bring back SR to be a DE? Justifies paying him more coin...warning...straw-grasping in process.

S

Before day 3, we have (6) guys on the roster - not one is named Andrew. Two essentially didn't play last year. DePodesta has stated that JOK is a LB and not a S. Delpit is the quasi-2nd Rd new guy. For some reason, I still like Redwine. It feels to me like we still need a true FS prospect.

Before JOK, I thought we'd need (6) Ss on the 53 roster to play the 'big nickle' scheme. JOK won't play S, but he is a/the 'big nickle' type...just at LB. I'm guessing we go with (5) to the 53. If LeCounte gains back just 1/2 the speed he lost...wow. There's the true FS prospect I was thinking we needed. With Redwine, Moffatt and Benton at the bottom of hat group...there was - and still might be - room for another.

To my mind, we need a CB x 2, IDL and S out of day 3..and it looks like there might be some decent choices available.

That exposes my GM skills. rofl Instead, we did -0- CBs until UDFA and (2) IDLs...but we did sign a FS...so maybe not too bad Gm'ing there. I thought a CB/S prospect (Trill William) would have been better than Felton as a RB/WR propect...but no big deal there.

I think we look at CB, DE and even S through Camp.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Well said.

Knowing our FO we will look at all positions. Lot's of players will be cut when camp breaks. We don't know how many of those were guys we would have liked to have drafted this year or last. We just saw how Berry went after Takk after trying a few times last year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

It is a good assessment.

Berry clearly has made strategic plans.

He wanted more speed especially on defense. He firmly believes players in today's game have to able to play in space. He wants rangy, fast guys who can cover the field.
He wants players that can do more than one thing.
JJ3, Delpit, Hill, JOK, Smith, Walker, Newsome, Harrison, Ward. All these guys can play multiple coverage roles.
They are versatile players.

Hill was signed to play slot corner. But he can play outside if need dictates.

Are safety's are not only capable of playing say SS or FS.
Delpit, and JJ3 do what is needed.

Koramoah is a unique player. He will be a special tool.

So, yes we are deep by design.

Legend
Legend
I also would note our versatility like you eluded to. We have a lot of defenders who can move around, which is integral in today’s game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't particularly enjoy these threads about who will get cut. In my approach to life and performance, I'm not wired to dwell in this space. Enough about me.

The LB room seems like an easy place to project. Wison is going to have to give the coaching staff reasons to make the team. Taki Taki is likely to have a very specific run-stopping role. Although I appreciate what Malcomb Smith has done for us. I expect this to be his final season with the team. JOK, Phillips, Fields, and Walker may be the future of the group.

IOL: I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Harris. I think he's the future of the Center position. He also held his own pretty well as a sub at Guard. I'm happy with him and I would imagine the team is too. Teller, Forbes, Hance and Dunn. It makes sense to extend Teller. I think the opt-out hurt Forbes. Hance and Dunn are cheaper. If one of them can back up Bitonio at LG then Forbes may be in jeopardy. This is a deep group for us.

SAF: I read some random take that adding JOK might mean we don't resign Harrison. That seems ill-informed to me. I want to believe in Delpit and I'm not writing him off but I need reports from TC to feel more comfortable that he can be relied on. I don't know how many Safeties Woods needs to run his defense. Redwine has the most to prove. LeCounte will either have healed up or go on IR. Moffatt may see the field behind Harrison. If all of our top guys can suit up we are stacked at Safety.

CB: Newsome helps settle down the CB2 position. In the best of worlds both Greedy and Gregg get a lot of reps. Troy Hills' ability to play inside or out also helps stabilize the CB corp. MJ Stewart is not Mitchell but I liked his contributions last season on a limited basis. He's fine for spot duty. I think MJ and AJ Green will compete for reps behind the top-level guys.

The entire secondary has been improved on paper and I'm optimistic

OT: Hubbard is a very valuable player for us. If his health is OK then he makes the roster. Next offseason we might evaluate how depth players have come along. Hudsons' arms are a fraction less the 33". Not vines but OK. His feet, power and hand usage are very attractive right now. That's plenty for Calahan to work with. I wonder how Alex Taylor is coming alone? After the starters and Hubbard, there are several intriguing options.

WRs/RBs Adding Swartz and Felton just signal to me that this offense will not be stagnant. The 2 TE sets, the wide zone, the play-action will remain staples in this offense but I suspect it to evolve. Berry and Stefanski are a Diabolical, Duo of Development, LOL

Legend
Legend

I agree with most of what you stated.

The exception is Hubbard. He is making a lot of money for a backup. And honestly IMO he is below average.

Hudson is the guy that will take his job. Callahan will bring him up to par. They will save money. Younger and cheaper. Already, Hudson has better feet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

It is a good assessment.

Berry clearly has made strategic plans.

He wanted more speed especially on defense. He firmly believes players in today's game have to able to play in space. He wants rangy, fast guys who can cover the field.
He wants players that can do more than one thing.
JJ3, Delpit, Hill, JOK, Smith, Walker, Newsome, Harrison, Ward. All these guys can play multiple coverage roles.
They are versatile players.

Hill was signed to play slot corner. But he can play outside if need dictates.

Are safety's are not only capable of playing say SS or FS.
Delpit, and JJ3 do what is needed.

Koramoah is a unique player. He will be a special tool.

So, yes we are deep by design.

In today’s NFL that may be good for most teams, but you have to have a plan for a team testing you by going double TE and leading with a Fullback.

If a team can run on you, they will play keep away. See Raiders game last year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Well said. I think you’re pretty spot on.

The LB corp and CB corp are much more “settled down” as you said. I feel WAY better about those groups, along with our safeties.

Guys like Wilson, Stewart, and Redwine will have to prove their worth (and all three STARTED last year) ... that’s a good thing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

The exception is Hubbard. He is making a lot of money for a backup. And honestly IMO he is below average.

Hubbard will count $4,961,765 against the cap this year if we cut/trade him we only save $1,300,000 he will still cost us $3,661,765 according to Over the Cap if I'm reading it correctly ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
All Pro
All Pro
the 1.3 million is the pre-june 1st cut cost (3.66 million is the savings)

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Maybe we are better (deeper) than I thought

Link Copied to Clipboard