Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
link

Of all the negatives from last season in the National Football League, the worst might have been seeing games take place in empty (or nearly empty) stadiums because of the pandemic. Granted, it’s understandable why it happened, but from a purely football-related standpoint it took something away, in my opinion.

It doesn’t sound like that’s going to be an issue in 2021, as the league said on Tuesday that 30 of the league’s 32 teams have gotten approval to have fans in the stands at 100% capacity for the upcoming season. The two teams that have not yet been approved for that yet are the Denver Broncos and the Indianapolis Colts, but those teams are apparently on a “clear path” to getting approval to have a full house as well.

Last year, the Minnesota Vikings only had family members at some of their home games, and some of the games at U.S. Bank Stadium didn’t even have those folks in the seats. Teams had to use fake crowd noise to try to simulate some sort of home-field advantage, but given that the Vikings went 3-5 at home in 2020. . .well, it didn’t work as well as we’d like.

I’m sure that every team in the NFL is looking forward to having all the seats in their stadiums filled this year after last year’s issues. I know that, even as fans watching on television, it’s going to be awesome to see the folks in the stands and hear the noise they generate. Is it September yet?

This is HUGE, not just for fans, but for the 2022 Cap as well.
The health of our team next year just improved.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
link

Kevin Seifert
ESPN Staff Writer

The NFL informed clubs Tuesday of two important developments for the normalization of the league calendar.

First, teams will be permitted to host fans at training camp this summer, subject to state and local guidelines, after keeping their doors closed during the pandemic-influenced camps of 2020. Second, all but two teams have now received approval from state and local governments to open their stadiums at full capacity when games resume.

Beyond those 28 stadiums that already have approval, the league also "feels good about the path" for the Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos, who are still working with their local contacts to receive final authorization, according to Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's executive vice president of club business and league events.

The looming return of a relatively normal year made for a rousing business presentation to club presidents during the first of a two-day virtual spring league meeting. The NFL-wide season-ticket renewal rate has been about 90%, according to Reilly, fueled by a surge in the 10 days since the league announced its 2021 schedule. Over that period, ticket sales have run at an 83% higher rate than they did in the same timeframe after the 2019 schedule release.

Meanwhile, training camps will open July 27 for 29 of the 32 teams. The Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be permitted to open earlier because they are participating in the Hall of Fame preseason game or the Sept. 9 regular-season kickoff game (or both, in Dallas' case). Negotiations are continuing with the NFL Players Association on a precise training camp protocol, but O'Reilly said he expected a few tweaks for fans compared with pre-pandemic years.

"It won't likely look exactly the same as a normal training camp as far as proximity to players and autographs and some of the other things," O'Reilly said. "But we're excited to be able to communicate that fans will be able to enjoy an accessible part of the calendar."

The NFL will not overlay a fan vaccination policy on top of any state and local regulation that might exist, O'Reilly said. Tentative plans are underway for a July 31 tentpole day for teams to officially welcome fans back to camp.

League executives will address owners Wednesday. Agenda items include a possible vote on a rule that would expand the area where low blocks are prohibited, as well as an update on vaccination rates among players and staff.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Can't wait to be up at at the stadium this year. Energy is going to be off the charts.

On a related note, I have not missed the "It's thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd dowwwwwwwwwwwn!!"

B
Legend
Legend
B
Should be fun.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Can't wait to be up at at the stadium this year. Energy is going to be off the charts.

On a related note, I have not missed the "It's thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd dowwwwwwwwwwwn!!"

Haha. It still beats the heck out of the Halloween/ Michael Myers music they played for years. If it was meant to scare the opponent, it certainly never accomplished the task.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't even listen to that crap.

I know the audio/visual group puts in a lot of time and effort to put on their "shows", but if it was up to me we wouldn't even have them.

To give them props, I do like the shell game deal.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I HATE that call! But at least it isn't unique to Cleveland. I've heard it in other stadiums, so maybe that's a league thing?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
this is great news!

although i will admit, hearing the players on the field, calling out blitzes and all those things were really cool to hear.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I HATE that call! But at least it isn't unique to Cleveland. I've heard it in other stadiums, so maybe that's a league thing?

You're right, it is played in other stadiums as well.

I remember Ken Carman and Anthony Lima ruthlessly mocking the the Browns playing the "It's thirrrrrrd dowwwwwn!" in a game against the Cardinals several years back. The Cardinals converted something absurd like 13 of 15 3rd downs.

Ken would scream into the mic: "It's thirrrrrrrd dowwwwn!!!"

and then he and Lima would follow it up with a quiet PA announcer voice saying: "Larry Fitzgerald with the catch for 17 yards and a 1st down," ... "Michael Floyd for 12 yards and a first down"..."Touchdown Cardinals"..."Gain of 19 on the play, 1st and goal Cardinals."

They did this probably 10 times.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

I am sure it is...the voice sounds the same as well.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Most all of the stadium experience has become a pre-produced canned package that is rolled out generically to all teams. The only thing that varies anymore is the aesthetics, team name/logo, & branding.

Everything else is very, very McNFL.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Most all of the stadium experience has become a pre-produced canned package that is rolled out generically to all teams. The only thing that varies anymore is the aesthetics, team name/logo, & branding.

Everything else is very, very McNFL.

And MLB
And NHL
And NBA

Most of everything, as far as sound and production, is the same from arena to arena in every sport.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The days of fans ever getting a unique experience at their home venue are gone. Doesn't matter where you are, you may as well be anywhere... it's the same vanilla production everywhere.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The days of fans ever getting a unique experience at their home venue are gone. Doesn't matter where you are, you may as well be anywhere... it's the same vanilla production everywhere.

I don't know how much different it is today v yesteryear. Today fans can't bring in noise makers. In Minnesota fans could blow those big Viking horns as an example. Fans also can't hang signs as they once could, but I don't know how unique that made the experience. Seems both of those things have been banned for 20 years or more.

Maybe I am missing something?? I do agree that the things put up on the scoreboard and messaging probably have to have the NFL stamp of approval, but to some degree it has probably been that way since the days of Rozell.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Nearly all NFL stadiums have been approved for 100% capacity in 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard