Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
What's it going to be when we have to start paying Mayfield, Ward, Chubb
A lot of that has to do with cultivating a sense of the "D" word whispered above. If those players are willing to take fair but not maximum deals, it could work. Of course the PA will, as always, advise getting every possible $. In the end it comes down to; do they want to stay or chase the money?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
AB and Paul (and whoever else) have done a great job. I’m interested to see how they handle the Baker, Chubb, Teller, Ward contracts soon.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I wOoD RaThEr hAv kInG jOn.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We have one of the most stacked rosters in the NFL, and are Top 10 in available cap space.

Andrew Berry is a God.

Berry & Depo, forever.

It'll go up once OBJ and/or Landry's contract is finally taken care of.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not knocking what they've done so far, but their real test will be to keep the overall talent level up when they start having to pay going rates for a fQB and All-Pro feature back. I'm rooting for them, obviously.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
but their real test will be to keep the overall talent level up when they start having to pay going rates for a fQB and All-Pro feature back

Agreed on the fQB but I don't think it matters on the RB (1) because of the cost of the position relative to other positions, and (2) the value of the RB spot overall.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Possibly. We'll see how far Baker can continue to progress. I don't think he's at the point yet where if you take away Chubb and Hunt and replace with an average/mediocre and the offense would NOT grind to a halt.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
And the offensive line has a lot to do with that.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
What's it going to be when we have to start paying Mayfield, Ward, Chubb
A lot of that has to do with cultivating a sense of the "D" word whispered above. If those players are willing to take fair but not maximum deals, it could work. Of course the PA will, as always, advise getting every possible $. In the end it comes down to; do they want to stay or chase the money?

There's that, but a new TV deal is hitting at just the perfect time for us in this regard. We're going to be Ok.
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if these guys have theoretical numbers projected out four seasons from now with a 100 different scenarios planned in each one on how we'll approach free agency and various position groups.

Depo's job is building strategy... it's those kinds of plans. Those plans are built using everyone's favorite buzzword: analytics. We amass all the data we can, then we use that data to plug it into scenarios. Heck, with just the information freely available on the internet, you could build a NFL GM simulator that allows you to play out every possible scenario. Obviously, the further into the future you push with it the less accurate it becomes, but it wouldn't be an overly complicated system to build; the complicated part is gathering and connecting the data.

With data like that, you now have an idea of where you need to go with everything and you can picture how Move A impacts what other moves you need to make and what other types of players you need to bring in. Hell, in today's world, a coach could even sit with Berry and tell him exactly what sort of player he envisions needing, then Berry could use data to filter through a list of players whose qualities fit what we're looking for, then we filter that list until we find one that fits our needs AND fits the strategy.

I'm not saying that this is precisely what we're doing, but I am saying that everything exists right now for us to be doing something exactly like this; even publicly available to all of us, much less the proprietary information they have available to only them. At that point, you've figured out what you need to do, you've found a player that fits that, now it's just the human part of negotiating with them to get them to come here at a level that works for us.... but, you have a simulator that let's you see how it impacts things if you have to give up a bit more than you prefer.

Also, if the team DOESN'T have a system like this, they SHOULD. And, they can feel free to reach out and contact me about hiring me to build it for them, lol... I just need data sources. smile

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Man I hope so but let's not get ahead of ourselves... we got a long way to go before considering ourselves a dynasty... we're not that far removed from the 0-16 season...

I 100% agree we are in the best position and have the best FO/coaching staff we've had since the return.... but let's not crown ourselves yet...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I will be curious what we do with Chubb. Will he stay and want to win here or will he chase money? I don't think we'll break the bank with Chubb. Or maybe we do but for a shorter term?

I'm one who says RB isn't a make or break position. With that said Chubb is really easy to root for and I'd prefer him to stay but I'm not going to be that upset when/if we part ways like I fear many fans will.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I will be curious what we do with Chubb. Will he stay and want to win here or will he chase money? I don't think we'll break the bank with Chubb. Or maybe we do but for a shorter term?

I'm one who says RB isn't a make or break position. With that said Chubb is really easy to root for and I'd prefer him to stay but I'm not going to be that upset when/if we part ways like I fear many fans will.

I don't look for Chubb to be an issue to re-sign and I think the Browns will make a fair offer to retain him. I love the guy but this is a business RB don't have long shelf life's and that should also be how the Browns make a deal to retain him I would think 3 year extension. In the 12-15 million per range perhaps guarantee the entire contract?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Man I hope so but let's not get ahead of ourselves... we got a long way to go before considering ourselves a dynasty... we're not that far removed from the 0-16 season...

I 100% agree we are in the best position and have the best FO/coaching staff we've had since the return.... but let's not crown ourselves yet...

This roster is no joke and is stacked from top to bottom. I can't ever remember not sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what we would do if this guy or that guy got hurt. But with this squad I think we could sustain injury at any position and not lose a lot.

At this point me being early is likely true then again I feel very comfortable saying it. We are loaded with talent from top to bottom. I think we have the best roster in the NFL and I think we have a FO and coaching staff that is equally stacked.

Let's face it the stars have aligned and the ride is going to be incredible. Will have bad days for sure but we will win far and away more then I think any of us will allow ourselves to believe. This is a dream team, and a dynasty may be a strong term for a team that hasn't won on the big stage YET, but they are going to KS is a great coach and his staff has performed at a high level. I don't think that will change player development, buy in, no distractions are allowed to exist that aren't geared towards winning on Sunday. This is off the charts it's that good.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

It is extremely difficult for Browns fans to be objective.

On one hand given the history of the past 20 plus years one path will point to being skeptical. This is a mirage and we are over hyping this team.

On the other hand we have been starved as fans. We want to believe we are a Super Bowl team. We want respect. We want the football world to acknowledge how great we are.

The 2020 season was reality. We earned our record. Any history before last year is irrelevant. We are returning the best of what we had in 2020 and we have improved the team defensively. At least we have on paper.

Now we have to show that the changes made have in fact improved the team. 2021 is still to be determined.

We have many reasons to believe that we are better. Free agency and the draft are viewed as a success.

At this time of year every team believes in what they have done. So there is that.

However, the most compelling reason to believe in this team is: The front office and the coaching staff.

If you buy into them then the rest is easy. If you believe Berry has brought in better players. And, you believe that Kevin Stefanski and his staff can get the best from those players.

Then you can believe that we have a great team "now."

That going forward we will continue to be a great team.

Results. 2021 we need to win the division and then win AFC championship. That puts us in the Super Bowl.

If you get that far there is no sense to not win it.

There you have it. That is the goal. All that remains is to attain that goal.

Legend
Legend
I would hire you, Purp! Analytics and great ideas. Just don't want you to blow up our cap with the hire! LOLetc.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
...but this is a business RB don't have long shelf life's...
Apparently, nobody has told Frank Gore

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

I don't look for Chubb to be an issue to re-sign and I think the Browns will make a fair offer to retain him. I love the guy but this is a business RB don't have long shelf life's and that should also be how the Browns make a deal to retain him I would think 3 year extension. In the 12-15 million per range perhaps guarantee the entire contract?

Hunt got 2 years $12 million, so I would think that it will take at least $6 million per, on average. I can see him winding up with 4 years and $45 million, with somewhere around $30 million guaranteed. We'll see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Hunt got 2 years $12 million, so I would think that it will take at least $6 million per, on average. I can see him winding up with 4 years and $45 million, with somewhere around $30 million guaranteed. We'll see.

I would love to see us lock him up for four years somewhere in that neighborhood. That contract would be very team friendly.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I don't think we'll see us sign him until maybe mid-season.

Spotrac, right now, is listing his market value at $12 million per year; expecting him to get a 4 year, $48 million deal. Basically, Derrick Henry and Dalvin Cook kinda money... and he deserve that.

Any notion of only $6 million per year can probably be set aside right now.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if we sign later this season to absorb the first year of signing bonus now, then have the deal go for another 5 years and allow us to really minimize the annual cap hit.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you that some people may be getting ahead of themselves here. But I think when you look at the situation you may see why.

One thing we all pretty much know is that you can't put yourself in cap hell and build a dynasty. You have to assemble a talented team in a manner by which you still have cap to roll over to the next season. That's much easier said than done.

Secondly, as we all had hoped, just as we will have rookie deals coming to fruition and will need a lot more cash, the new TV contract will be injected which will significantly increase the salary cap. This bodes well for us moving forward.

So to this point the foundation has been laid that is needed to build a dynasty. I do agree with you that doesn't mean it will happen, yet at the same time not many teams have been able to assemble this much talent and still be in this great of cap space.

But now comes the tricky part. You can't sign everyone you want to keep to FA contracts. Not everyone on your roster can make the big bucks. As such the Critical factor will be identifying and selecting the role players as the roster turns over. Just as your transmission is a major component in your car, if the U joints fail that prevents your transmission from doing its job. Such is an NFL team.

Those role players must fit your system. You must do a good job negotiating contracts and identifying and signing those role players. While we have a short window to see through as it pertains to this new FO, that window has a sunny view. To this point they seem to be doing a fine job at identifying, drafting and signing players that fit with what we wish to do within our system.

We have the brains in the building. We have everyone working in the same direction. We have every reason to be positive. That's no guarantee of success but it is a good indicator for reasons to see the possibility of a dynasty being built.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

All true.

What I would add is long term is you must hit consistently in the draft. Each year of success puts you at the bottom of the draft order.

Look at the first round talent on this team. Myles, Clowney and Baker were the first picks in the draft.

Wills(10th) and Conklin(8th) are high picks. Ward(4th) is a high pick.

You have to be able to hit on picks later in the draft.

The longer you have success the more important the draft becomes. You have to develop players that you pick in later rounds. Some of these guys have to be starters.

Continuity in the front office of quality people that identify talent to fit teams schemes. Then have the coaches to develop that talent.

No contiuity no dynasty.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think that Chubb, like Hunt, wants to be here though and that made a difference with what Hunt was willing to take. I'd like to have them both until their last NFL snaps if possible. I think we have the best tandem in football by far.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For everyone who is closely watching we are already seeing players sign with us for less money then they could get.

The reason for that is these players want to be a part of this, they see what we have, they see how they fit, and they to know this team could very well be the next NFL dynasty and who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Will get a real good feel for how players feel when we resign our studs, and yes we have some real studs on this team. The players are clearly happy here and they either want to come here and play or they are willing to sign a team friendly contract to stay here. Cleveland is a desired landing spot, maybe the most desired landing spot at this point????

I think we all of us need to understand some players would rather take less and win more we saw that with JJ3 it was reported he was offered more but took less to be here. But will know even better when we re-sign, Chubb, Mayfield, Ward, Teller, etc. etc.

I say Dynasty because everything points to one.

For the fans who have followed the team closely through all these years of pain and suffering I believe you're ship has arrived going forward we will be one of the great teams of the next decade, I plan to enjoy every moment.

For me personally I have never dared dream of a dynasty I would settle for 1 Lombardi just one. At 61 and headed for 62 I have suffered a devastating back injury, I can hardly walk on top of all of that I was diagnosed with Cancer a month ago. The Dr. has said they will get rid of the cancer and maybe someday my nerves will regenerate so I can walk more normal.

For guys like me and really 1 of our number one fans Tabber we hang on and hope for a championship it's my dream to get one. If that happens I can leave this world happy.

But it's truly better then that we stand at the beginning of a great run like the Patriots have had for nearly 2 decades now IMHO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

Hang in there BtB.

At 73 you don't make long term plans. It should not mean a lot how a football team does. But that only applies for those not born in Cleveland.

It does mean a lot to many of us. This year has the markings of something special. I am really anxious about watching this team play. There are so many subplots.

Myles is posed for a huge season. Clowney comeback?

Baker goes bananas. Chubb wins rushing title. Odell comeback player of the year.

The defense becomes elite. JOK DROY. IMO JOK will be a monster player for the Browns.

But, nothing is more important than wins. Winning feeds the adrenaline and is contagious. I have expectations but I will reserve them for now.

The potential is tied to the passion of our dreams.
Opening day can not get here fast enough.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
We have been hitting on our draft picks starting with previous GM Dorset, thanks to the cash cow of picks n cap space by Berry and his GM, arguing starts...lol,
But now with less picks and not top 5 Berry is kicking ass has been able to take negatives and make them positive via FA.
Last year we had the worst tackles bang zoom Conklin and Wills making our OL one of the best.
This year DB bang zoom JOHNSON III and Hill also gaining IRs like Delpit and Greedy also a weakness at DE bang zoom Clowney.
Just best moves by Browns GM in a long time, Paul Brownesque
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
For everyone who is closely watching we are already seeing players sign with us for less money then they could get.

The reason for that is these players want to be a part of this,With Baker they see what we have,in Baker they see how they fit, with Baker and they to know this team could very well be the next NFL dynasty because of the potential In Baker! and who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Will get a real good feel for how players feel when we resign our studs, and yes we have some real studs on this team. The players are clearly happy here and they either want to come here and play or they are willing to sign a team friendly contract to stay here. Because they like playing with and believe in Baker. Cleveland is a desired landing spot, maybe the most desired landing spot at this point????

I think we all of us need to understand some players would rather take less and win more we saw that with JJ3 it was reported he was offered more but took less to be here. But will know even better when we re-sign, Chubb, Mayfield, Ward, Teller, etc. etc.

I say Dynasty because everything points to one.

For the fans who have followed the team closely through all these years of pain and suffering I believe you're ship has arrived going forward we will be one of the great teams of the next decade, I plan to enjoy every moment.

For me personally I have never dared dream of a dynasty I would settle for 1 Lombardi just one. At 61 and headed for 62 I have suffered a devastating back injury, I can hardly walk on top of all of that I was diagnosed with Cancer a month ago. The Dr. has said they will get rid of the cancer and maybe someday my nerves will regenerate so I can walk more normal.

For guys like me and really 1 of our number one fans Tabber we hang on and hope for a championship it's my dream to get one. If that happens I can leave this world happy.

But it's truly better then that we stand at the beginning of a great run like the Patriots have had for nearly 2 decades now IMHO.

I added the white, I think the dynasty talk is early but there is potential for winning. -With Baker.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

This year DB bang zoom JOHNSON III and Hill also gaining IRs like Delpit and Greedy

Agree with all your post - and I am excited about a lot of positions - but secondary has had a mammoth transformation and has me the most excited as a collective . . . it's all theory at this point, paper tigers, but man - that's more talent in the secondary than we've had the last 20 years.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

This year DB bang zoom JOHNSON III and Hill also gaining IRs like Delpit and Greedy

Agree with all your post - and I am excited about a lot of positions - but secondary has had a mammoth transformation and has me the most excited as a collective . . . it's all theory at this point, paper tigers, but man - that's more talent in the secondary than we've had the last 20 years.

I think it might be more talent in a secondary than I've seen, ever, on any team - in theory. Six deep - three at CB, three at S - with starters that are all in the upper tier of the league, or projected to be there. A *lot* depends on how Greedy, Delpit, and Newsome pan out. Before their injuries last year, though, Delpit was having himself a camp, and I do recall reports being that Greedy was improving.

I mean, if Greedy/Newsome is our weak spot in the defense, that's not such a bad thing.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
Good luck, BTTB, you’ll be okay becss as use it takes toughness to stick with the Browns.
And I agree: I’ll settle for just one title. When win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, I’ll GW like that New York Rangers fan, holding up a sign when they broke a long Stanley Cup drought:

https://www.nj.com/resizer/pz8t3YSegCIOX...07949-large.jpg

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you truly believe that this is all about Baker your wrong.

Oh and write you're own posts.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
j/c...

NFL, players' union agree to set 2022 salary-cap ceiling at $208.2 million, source says

2:49 PM ET
Dan Graziano
ESPN Staff Writer

The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to a salary-cap ceiling of $208.2 million per team for the 2022 season, a source told ESPN on Wednesday, as part of the league's continued effort to project the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on its short-term business.

That doesn't mean the 2022 salary cap will be $208.2 million -- just that that's the highest it can possibly be, according to the agreement the NFL's team owners approved Wednesday afternoon. It's still possible that the league's 2022 revenue projections and/or 2021 revenue shortfalls could result in a lower cap. But if the revenue-based 2022 calculations call for a cap higher than $208.2 million, then any excess revenue will be used to pay back the roughly $17 million in 2020 player benefits that were canceled as a result of the pandemic.

The 2021 salary cap is already set at $182.5 million per team, which is a significant COVID-related drop from the 2020 cap number of $198.2 million per team. The 2021 cap number is based on the league's projected revenue for the upcoming season and the revenue lost in 2020 due to the pandemic, which kept teams from filling up their stadiums. Before the pandemic, the cap had been growing reliably by about $10 million per year. Had that pace continued, the 2021 cap would have been about $208 million and the 2022 cap about $218 million. So even this high-end $208.2 million number in 2022 wouldn't mean cap growth has "caught up" to its pre-pandemic pace. But it would represent a roughly 14% increase from the 2021 cap and the highest one-year jump in the nearly 30-year history of the NFL salary cap.

At this point, the exact 2022 cap figure remains difficult to project. It's possible that the league's 2021 revenue projections end up being low, since they may not have factored in the possibility of full stadiums all year, and the league now says full stadiums are the expectation. Should 2021 revenues outpace projections, that difference would be added to the 2022 calculations and could result in the 2022 cap getting to or close to that $208.2 million ceiling.

Should the figure go beyond that, the extra money would be used to accelerate the timetable for paying back player benefits that were canceled last year. As part of the July 26, 2020, agreement between the league and the players on COVID-related amendments to the collective bargaining agreement, $17 million in 2020 player benefits were canceled, including the second career savings plan, severance pay, performance-based pay and others. The initial agreement said that those benefits would be repaid to players as a new benefit established after 2023 (when, it was assumed, there had been enough time for the league's economics to recover). The new agreement allows for the possibility of those benefits being repaid to the affected players as early as 2022.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3151...ion-sources-say

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
This is good.

Unless covid craziness comes roaring back, or Ozzy eats another bat, the league revenue should be WAY up and recovered this year, and we should end up pretty damn close to that $208M.

Browns is the Browns

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cap Space for 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard