Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Swish #1866450 06/03/21 07:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/06/03/valuable-nick-chubb-cleveland-browns/

Cleveland Browns: Just how valuable is Nick Chubb?
by J.T. Soderlund

As Nick Chubb heads into a contract year, do the Cleveland Browns plan to extend him or let him walk after this season?

The Cleveland Browns have managed to create one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL over the past couple of seasons. Last season, Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt combined for more than 2,300 yards from scrimmage. This potent and methodical rushing attack was integral to the success of the 2020 Browns.

Heading into 2021, every piece of that rushing attack is staying the same. The Browns return all five starting offensive lineman and Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb are both back as well. With another season of experience together it is only right to expect that the dynamic rushing duo should be able to get even more yards than they got last season.

However, with how much talent the Browns have brought in since general manager Andrew Berry took over, it is going to start to be difficult to retain key players.

This brings up a difficult decision for the Browns front office as Chubb heads into the last year of his current contract. Do the Browns sacrifice money at more valuable positions or let their star running back walk?

The knee-jerk reaction of just about every Browns fan should be “of course the Browns should bring back Nick Chubb.” And there is good reason to think that.

Chubb has gotten more than 1,100 yards from scrimmage every season since he has been in the NFL. He also contributes without the ball in his hand as he is one of the best pass-protecting running backs in the NFL.

On top of that, he also brings things to the table that don’t show up on a stat sheet. He has never caused any problems in the locker room. He keeps to himself and doesn’t cause problems. In today’s NFL that cannot be overlooked. Chubb is an overall team player.

A player of Nick Chubb’s caliber, at just about any other position, would warrant an unquestioned contract extension. But the recent history of running back contract extensions has to make you rethink it, even if it is Chubb.

Running backs typically wear down faster than any other position in football and No. 24 is no stranger to this as he has faced multiple gruesome injuries throughout his college and professional career.

Chubb is currently slated to use just under $4.25 million of the Browns 2021 cap space, according to Over the Cap. Top-5 running backs in the NFL are making at least $12 million a season, and the Browns would need to be in that range if they wanted to offer him an extension.

They could also attempt to sign him to the franchise tag which is projected to fall in between $10 million and $13 million for 2022. Keeping Nick Chubb after this season is going to get expensive.

One thing to remember is that Wyatt Teller is also up for free agency after the 2021 season. The front office’s decision will likely come down to who they think is more valuable: Teller or Chubb.

Interior offensive lineman and running backs are both relatively replaceable. The big difference is that the performance of offensive linemen is often dependent on the other four linemen playing next to them. A star offensive lineman does not make as much impact that a star running back does.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
Unless Forbes or someone cheap steps up and outplays Teller, you just sign Teller, then Franchise Chubb and wait for the new CBA/TV deal to kick in...... OR, you just sign Chubb to a contract that keeps him here for the rest of his career. Give him a 7 year deal that voids to four or five. You can give him BIG money and make it cap-friendly.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1866507 06/03/21 10:43 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I resign Chubb but not at all costs.

I give him top money but not long term top money.

I do NOT make that sort of offer to Teller I think Teller grading out as well as he did has more to do with BC and the guys around him then he would make on his own. I be fair but not overly. Of course everything in the NFL can change in the snap of a football. Chub could suffer a career ending injury, or so could Teller for that matter.

As was said neither is irreplaceable. However, Chubb in my view is close. I love the person as much as I do the player. Without saying much Chubb is a team leader, one I would never not want around he is invaluable to this team. But there is a ceiling. Fair and above average but not a 5 year deal more like a 3 year deal.

Teller can come or go, we can replace him the key is coaching. Every single O Linemen that played last season was a stud that IMO all goes back to BC. If I was going to extend someone it would be him.

We face some tough decisions next off season Chubb IMO is a no brainer be fair and give him his due but not beyond 3 years. We are bound to see some guys go we don't want to see go. That again comes down to coaching and preparing the youngsters we have to assume the rolls of the guys we will be forced to allow to leave. Successful teams face this issue and so we will too.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
That may be an article but it is not a story.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Nick Chubb

Link Copied to Clipboard