Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/06/03/5-remaining-free-agent-cleveland-browns-june/

5 remaining free agents Cleveland Browns can sign in June

The Cleveland Browns head into the 2021 season with a loaded roster. Could signing one of these five free agents late in the year make them elite?

The Cleveland Browns have been busy this offseason. General manager Andrew Berry has assembled a roster that many believe can compete for a title in 2021.

The focus this offseason in free agency and the draft has been the defense. After a year with a tremendous amount of injuries and lack of talent, there will be no excuses for the 2021 season. Defensive coordinator Joe Woods will likely have five new players on defense next year that will all be major upgrades.

Even with all the upgrades, there are still a few question marks on the roster, and you can never have enough depth in the NFL. The Cleveland Browns will be tight against the cap after signing draft picks, but can certainly be creative to make room for another free agent signing or two before the start of the season.

Here are five free-agent options for the Cleveland Browns that could still make sense.

Cleveland Browns Free Agent Option No. 5: Golden Tate. Wide Receiver
One position that is currently crowded for the Cleveland Browns is wide receiver, but there appears to be a ton of average NFL talent at the bottom and injury concerns at the top with Odell Beckham.

While adding a wide receiver this late in the game may be a stretch, the addition of Golden Tate could make a lot of sense for the Browns.

At age 33, Tate still has some gas in the tank, and he may be willing to play for less for a contender. Tate is a smaller receiver with quickness who can beat man-to-man coverage as a slot receiver. He could quickly step in as the second or third receiver on the team and give the offense the spark they have needed.

The price would have to be right on this one, and a player like Rashard Higgins or Donovan Peoples-Jones may lose their roster spot but is something the team should consider.

Cleveland Browns Free Agent Option No. 4: Avery Williamson, Linebacker
There is no doubt that Berry has addressed the linebacker position this year. In 2020 they drafted Jacob Phillips, and then this year they drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah as well as signed free agent Anthony Walker.

The group will be substantially upgraded from 2020, but there is still room for improvement if the right guy is available. That guy could very well be local Clevelander, Avery Williamson.

Williamson is a former fifth-round pick, who has been extremely productive in the NFL, especially against the run. In 6 years in the league, he has 607 tackles, 15.5 sacks, and 29 tackles for loss.

Most importantly, he has started 85 of 94 possible games

Williamson is an interior 3-4 linebacker, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t fit in the 4-2-5 scheme. He’s primarily a run defender, but there will be plenty of running situations where Williamson would be a huge benefit.

The biggest drawback to getting this done, will Williamson be ready to take on lesser of a role with a team? He has been a starter for most of his career, and with the Browns, he would likely only see 30-40 percent of the defensive snaps.

Given he is still available, the price could very well be right for Williamson’s services, and he could be the added depth the Browns need at inside linebacker.

Cleveland Browns Free Agent Option No. 3: Nickell Robey-Coleman, Cornerback
With the addition of Greg Newsome in the draft, Troy Hill in free agency, and Greedy Williams expected to return after missing all of 2020, cornerback is one position that looks good on paper. However, injuries have been a major concern with Denzel Ward and Williams. Not to mention, Newsome has missed a fair amount of time as well.

The Browns were so short-handed last year at corner and safety, I would hate to see the same thing happen again. If a guy like Nickell Robey-Coleman is around for the right price, he would be the additional insurance policy that the team needs.

Say Ward or Williams need to miss time, Hill would be a capable second corner, and Robey-Coleman could fill in at the nickel position.

Robey-Coleman has spent 8 years in the NFL with three different teams. He has never been a starting-caliber player, but he has contributed to each team. He has six total interceptions in his career and has been used primarily in the slot. He’s undersized but does have the speed to make up for it.

Robey-Coleman would not be a splash signing but could be a crucial part of the 2021 Cleveland Browns defense, especially if injuries would occur.

Cleveland Browns Free Agent Option No. 2: Justin Houston, Defensive End
Yes, the Cleveland Browns added Jadeveon Clowney and Takk McKinley, but can you truly have enough edge rushers in the NFL? Adding a guy like Justin Houston could take the Browns defense from great to elite.

The situation would have to be perfect. Houston would have to take less money to play for a contender, and the Browns would have to be okay with letting a guy like Porter Gustin walk. Gustin was a solid player for much of 2020, and he could have some long-term potential but he doesn’t bring to the table what Houston would.

Houston will be 32 this season, but he can still contribute, especially on third and long. Remember, he’s had 37.5 sacks the last four seasons. And with Myles Garrett on the other side, he could flourish.

What about Clowney you ask? One, he will still get a ton of snaps. Houston would be a 50 percent snaps type of guy to save his energy. Two, he can play on the interior of the line and fill the void of Sheldon Richardson.

Clowney is a great defensive end, but he is an elite-run defender and can generate a ton of pressure up the middle as well. With McKinley on the roster, I believe this was part of the Browns plan already.

Edge rushers usually don’t come cheap, but the fact that Houston is still on the market could mean that the Browns can get a deal on him. This idea may seem crazy, but it could be the perfect move by Berry.

Cleveland Browns Free Agent Option No. 1: Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle
Right now, the weakest position on the Cleveland Browns roster is likely defensive tackle. That is a relatively good position to be weak at, but Sheldon Richardson could solve that problem once again.

In order to sign Clowney, the Browns cut Richardson before the draft. However, there have been rumblings that they would like to reunite on a friendlier contract for the team. At age 30, Richardson is past his prime, but he certainly has another two years in the tank.

For these five free-agent options, the Browns could likely only pull off one signing, but Richardson would be the smartest. He knows the system, knows the team, and he can plug up the middle and generate a pass rush.

Last year once Oliver Vernon got injured, Richardson became the third or fourth-best player on the field behind Garrett, Ward, and Ronnie Harrison. He was dominant and picked up the slack moving to the edge when needed as well. A guy with Richardson’s versatility just can’t be overlooked.

A starting defensive line of Garrett, Clowney, Andrew Billings, and Richardson would be feared by all teams. Not only would the Browns be great at rushing the passer, but they would also be tough to run on as well.

In the NFL, it all starts up front. When you can’t run it makes you predictable. When you can’t protect the passer, quarterbacks make mistakes.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
T
Legend
Legend
T
I wonder where:
Terrence Mitchell
Kevin Johnson
and
Karl Joseph would fit on the list.

And I know, they are not free agents anymore.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

We are prepared for all options.

Sheldon IMO is still possible.

Thankfully Berry is a detailed planner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I wonder where:
Terrence Mitchell
Kevin Johnson
and

IMO - Mitchell would have made the top 5. Maybe Joseph. Not Johnson.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I will forever be perplexed at the lack of interest in re-signing Mitchell. He's not a world-beater, but he's exactly the vet backup that this defense is missing today.

Regarding the article IMO:

No way are we out to get a 33 yr old WR...unless we are cutting/trading OBJ/Landry...not gonna happen;

No way are we out to get another LB with a defense that will play with 1 or 2 LBs more often than they will play with 3 LBs. Walker & JOK added to Phillips & Smith (and Taki as the "thumper" ish) is plenty;

I guess we could look at DEs...but he'd have to be a backup as was stated in the article. Clowney and McKinley are kind of unknowns as Weaver certainly is unknown. I suppose we could look fore something there...but I also think both Malik's could play DE if need be;

I think the Sheldon ship has sailed...unfortunately. Billings, Togiai and Elliot are going to make the team...add two of McDowell, Wilson, Jackson or Square as a nice consolation prize.

I hope we sign Steve Nelson at CB. I want Hill staying in the slot, I can't get myself to count on Greedy and Newsome is a rookie. CB is really the only position that I worry about.

E
Legend
Legend
E
5. WR??? come on man get off of this fantasy football trek. Higgins is better than an OLD golden Tate.

nuf said.

LB - we are looking to play a 2 LB system. we got our Mike and we drafted a stud and have Phillips. wasted investment if you ask me.

Coleman CB well you can never have enough CBs but he is a backup...a career backup. I don't think he will help us much even with injuries.

Houston...now there is an idea - looking to be elite.

Sheldon Richardson, yes yes yes...bring him back!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Richardson is the only one on that list.

Houston is tempting, but we are more stacked at DE than people realize. I think people are going to have jaws drop when they actually realize the sick embarrassment of riches we have there.
LB, WR, CB... we don't have room for any of them on this roster. Again, I don't think people realize just how deep we are now; like, the only reason I want Richardson is because he is a high quality KNOWN ENTITY. We know what he brings to this defense and how he fits, and we know that he is an improvement at starting DT. None of those others see the field without injuries ahead of them.

Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I wonder where:
Terrence Mitchell
Kevin Johnson
and

IMO - Mitchell would have made the top 5. Maybe Joseph. Not Johnson.

Mitchell is maybe the 4th or 5th CB here, now.
Karl Joseph is in the same boat at Safety.
Kevin Johnson doesn't make the roster at veteran minimum unless we have an injury.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Somebody is going to stand out in that group, and with all the DB types we plan to play, it will come at the expense of the LB group.

When you plan to play 2 traditional LB's, you don't need many back-up's. Both of Taki and Wilson might hit the waiver wire, or possibly Goodson is we decide to go a bit younger.

We have JOK who can slide in to the LB spot. We also have Harrison who can slide in to that position as well.

After the DL, it is evident to me we are looking for run and chase guys behind the LOS. As the NFL continues to evolve behind speed first, RPO, spread type offense, the days of the "slowish", big thumper LB are numbered.

Defense is always in reaction mode, so it makes sense they need to be just a little bit faster.

Look at the TE position as an example. The guys who dominate are the guys who create mismatch problems. The mismatch is usually because you are trying to cover a player who is big and can run a 4.5 40 with a linebacker who runs a 4.63 40. When you add in that a TE is always going to gain a step or so on the break since they know where they are going, that slower LB is only hoping the QB doesn't throw to his guy, underthrows/overthrows the ball, or the TE drops the ball.

Call that a first down or touchdown.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Malcom Smith is the veteran LB i was thinking of...not Goodson

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
BJ Goodson is not on our team.

Smith is the oldest LB on the roster.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 06/06/21 09:08 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
GM alerted me to that. Thanks. I am past the point of knowing all the players names and numbers.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Richardson would be nice to bring back if possible. Not sure how much interest he’ll get elsewhere

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Richardson would be nice to bring back if possible. Not sure how much interest he’ll get elsewhere

I've not heard of any interest by anyone yet.. That will no doubt change,, But so far,, nothing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mary Kay tweeted that we were in touch with Richardson.

So ... there has likely been no communication.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 5 remaining free agents Cleveland Browns can sign in June

Link Copied to Clipboard