Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The Browns Cornerback room is not deep enough.

Maybe, maybe not.

I have yet to see a team full of 1st and 2nd rounders on the 2nd and 3rd teams at all positions.

It is what it is.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

rofl rofl rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
the chemistry of OBJ is certainly a big factor

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Outside of QB...and Tackles we are talking about the most deep in talent positions so that you can get studs in the 3-6th rounds of the draft. So many WRs in college now and they cannot look at the group like other positions. Look at Schwartz. Didn't have big numbers but his O in college was a running O rather than Pass, Pass Pass. Also the quality of a QB position was pretty poor compared with other SEC schools.

The Data base was small in comparison with other WRs. There was not that open space created by an all out Passing game. So its hard to say what Schwartz would have done in Alabama's Offense.

So the kid does not get drafted in the first two rounds where you find your impact players. I just betcha if he was on Alabama's roster he would be up there in the super star stratus phere.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

we'd better get a new WR to fix that, then.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
What Are the 3 biggest weaknesses of the Browns projected 2021 defense?

The advertised greatness of incoming Slot Corner Troy Hill in regards to his actual abilities, may exceed the load this team may end up trying to put on his shoulders

2. Linebackers apart from Anthony Walker have strengths to parts of their game play that show a lack of all-around gameplay strength.

3. The injury bug is going to limit a real ability to have no holes and all parts solid on a consistent basis.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's hard to factor the "injury bug".

Odds are in favor you are going to experience some of that. The part you can't factor is how seriously it is going to hit and how deep it might go in to any position group. The timing it hits is also something you can't factor.

No doubt you don't want to lose any games where it can be claimed that injury played a big part, but it is better to have that happen against a non-division rival like the Lions than against the Ravens. Winning your division is the easiest, surest way to the playoffs. Then you don't have to worry about records, common opponents, and all that other stuff. At that point, all you are looking for is some home field games.

At that point, I don't even call that the icing. That is the ice cream on top.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think the 3 biggest weaknesses are all of the unknown elements.

1. You have the unknowns of Greedy and Delpit. If they return to expected form, we're solid. If they have a significant drop-off from that, we're suddenly a lot thinner on the back end.

2. DT. We released Richardson and brought in two handfuls of unknowns. We gave up the bird in hand for the two in the bush and now we have to wait to see if we actually still have anything, much less if we've improved. If we didn't, then we are weak up the middle.

3. Linebackers. Walker should be plenty good, but everyone else is a crapshoot. Who ends up where and how much playing time they get, how they are used, etc.... it will all have a HUGE impact on the efficacy of this defense.

We're all super excited about the reasonably expected potential of this group, and for good reason. If these guys just keep doing what they have an established record of doing, we should be VERY GOOD. Like, Top 5 defense kinda good. However, as Dawgs know all too well, things happen. Things don't go the way we hoped. Man Plans and God Laughs. Any one of these groups faltering significantly quickly drops us to a middle of the pack defense that is trying to cover holes with schemes and alignments. If two groups falter, we're where we were last year. It's a pretty thin line when you stop to think about it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Depth is always hard to figure.

As Camp comes into play you get a better feel of the full 53.

In the past the Browns were like vultures picking up bone scaps from other teams after camp cuts. We were going after our starters.

We had guys like Austin Corbett, Chris Hubbard and Greg Robinson as starters.

Today our second string is better than our previous starters.

Our starters at every position are all good football players. The encouraging thing is our depth.

Camp competition will about making the team. The players we end up cutting may well start for some teams.

In the end that may be what puts us over the top.

It becomes not just the 22 starters but number 53 on the roster.

Legend
Legend
I think that we know most of the team already:

QB: Baker and Keenam
RB: Chubb, Hunt, Felton, maybe one more
TE: Hooper, Njoku, Bryant, and maybe one more
OL: Wills, Conklin, Teller, Bitonio, Tretter, Harris, Hudson, and probably 2 or 3 more
WR: OBJ, Landry, Higgins, Peoples-Jones, Shwartz, and 1 more
FB: Janovich

K: Parkey
P: Gillan
LS: Hughlett

DE: Myles, Clowney, Takk, Gustin, and maybe Weaver
DT: Jackson, Billings, Togai, Elliot, and maybe Wilson
LB: Walker, JOK, Phillips, Fields, and 1 or 2 more
S: JJ III, Delpit, Harrison Jr, LeCounte III, and mnaybe Redwine
CB: Ward, Greedy, Newsome III, Hill, and 1 or 2 more

There are not a ton of spots up for grabs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns have never been a stretch the field deep passing offense not really a quick threat to score from multiple deep options on the same play.
I think we can see this theme continue in 2021 and it will be whatever obstacle that becomes,

It may be nothing, but the point is they are leaving it in place, have not yet removed it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
The important thing is that they know not to keep the pretenders.

I was just listening to Bill Belichic, some interview he said, "It's more important to know when to Cut!.. than being fast."

I think he's referring to pass route running, but I also think he could mean keeping or releasing players, wouldn't expect anything less from a Belichic quote than to make me think.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The important thing is that they know not to keep the pretenders.

I was just listening to Bill Belichic, some interview he said, "It's more important to know when to Cut!.. than being fast."

I think he's referring to pass route running, but I also think he could mean keeping or releasing players, wouldn't expect anything less from a Belichic quote than to make me think.

Had more of the interview been available, where the quote could be placed in to some sort of context, it probably wouldn't be hard to figure out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Talent and Team

Link Copied to Clipboard