Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
link

Fans of the Cleveland Browns have waited seven months to see if their beloved orange helmets could go on a revenge tour against the rest of the NFL after losing to the Chiefs in the AFC Divisional Wild Card round.

It starts Saturday, as the Browns open the preseason against Urban Meyer and the Jacksonville Jaguars in Florida.

The Fans are ready to roll, as an estimated 30,000 people showed up to watch the Browns practice. With the star power the Browns boast, who could blame them.

Kevin Stefanski’s first true camp with the Browns has gone about one would excpect. There’s been some ebbs and flows.

His quarterback seems primed to take another step forward in 2021, while fan favorite Nick Chubb has a new contract that will keep him around for the next several seasons.

There’s been injuries, but that’s a part of life. Fortunately, there’s been nothing major.

So, with the preseason about to start, here’s a look at five Browns who need a good game.

1. Cleveland Browns CB A.J. Green
He’s impressed so far at camp, but now let’s see if the the 2020 undrafted free agent can put things together for the Cleveland Browns against another team.

Some, including myself, were overly optimistic on Green’s stock after he signed with the Browns, for a pretty hefty sum of $145,000 (as far as undrafted free agents go). That said, Green went undrafted for a reason. He needed to find a team he could grow with, and hopefully, that was the Browns.

Green spent a lot of time on Cleveland’s practice squad last season, and while the upper tier of the depth chart is stacked with the likes of Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome and Troy Hills, corners are like pitchers in baseball–you can never have enough.

Fans saw firsthand how Cleveland’s depth eroded away last season, so hopefully, a year of development will turn Green into a player capable of stepping in and holding things together.

As a reserve, Green should see plenty of playing time going up against Jacksonville’s second and third stringers.

2. Cleveland Browns LB Mack Wilson
It’s probably unfair to include Cleveland Browns linebacker Mack Wilson here, because he probably won’t play beyond the second half.

But the truth is Wilson was brutal a season ago, ranking as one of Pro Football Focus’ worst linebackers.

Wilson has impressed early in camp, though, and it looks like he may have a role in Cleveland’s defense, even with the selection of Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and the emergence of Jacob Philips.

If he doesn’t end up as a starter, Wilson could certainly be one of the top players off the bench, which important, considering how injuries can pile up at the position.

In preseason game No. 1, Wilson doesn’t need to be the second coming of Dick Butkus, but we’re hoping to a see a sliver of what’s been on display at camp come through in the preseason opener.

3. Cleveland Browns CB Greedy Williams
Williams was listed as the starter opposite of Denzel Ward on the team’s unofficial depth chart.

Again, as a starter, Williams isn’t going to play much, but a series or two could go a longway to answering fan questions concerning the former second-round pick.

For example, we’re in need of answers to basic questions regarding Williams, who hasn’t played a game in over 18 months. For example, can he get up after making a tackle? Don’t misunderstand my question as a dig at Williams. It’s not. Nerve damage is serious stuff, and it’s not unreasonable to want to see Williams perform something that every NFL player should be able to do.

Every card carrying member of the Dawg Pound is hopeful Williams makes it through, while building positive vibes.

Certainly the Browns won’t want Williams to overdo things, but it will be interesting to see how much he’s used just because he’s only appeared in 12 career games.

4. Cleveland Browns DT Malik McDowell
On Tuesday, it doesn’t look good for Malik McDowell, who hasn’t practice since suffering an oblique injury on Sunday.

You just read about Williams needing to play, though, and the same is true of McDowell, a former 2017 second-round pick who has yet to even play a preseason game in the NFL.

McDowell, a highly touted prospect out of Michigan State, was in an ATV accident after being drafted, and then plead guilty to a series of crimes, derailing his NFL career.

But he got a deal with the Browns and a glimpse at his 6-foot-6, 290-pound frame will have you asking, “Larry Ogunjo-who?”

McDowell could be good enough to become a serious rotational piece the defensive line. Or, time might of passed him by.

The old adage about availability being your best ability couldn’t be any truer here.

5. Cleveland Browns DT Marvin Wilson
When Wilson agreed to sign to sign as an undrafted with Cleveland, many diehards who had been watching mocks celebrated. The Florida State prospect was supposed to go on day 2, and some of the prognosticators creating those mocks had Wilson going to the Browns.

Cleveland ended up with their man, and it didn’t even cost a draft pick.

Alas, why did Wilson fall out out of the draft completely? His desire was questioned and a forgettable pro day didn’t help, either.

Even though he wasn’t picked, the 6-foot-4, 303-pound rookie got his shot–and there’s opportunity to be seized, as Cleveland let both starters from a season ago walk.

He’s battling the aforementioned McDowell and three others for a spot on the roster, with Andrew Billings and Malik Jackson expected to start the season as starters. Additionally, Tommy Togiai is expected to get heavy reps, as the Browns seem high on the Ohio State product.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have heard that Wilson is getting a lot of 2nd team reps. While it is important for him to have a good game and camp, it sounds like Jordon Elliott is the one who needs a good game and camp.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is everyone under recognizing the weight of the problem that is Takk McKinley leaving the team and what it means for the outlook of the entire season for the Browns? I think yes.
Therefore.

Anyone formerly behind Takk McKinley needs to have a good preseason, a good everything actually.

Porter Gustin. Isn't there enough tape, that Porter Gustin is consistently a player who can't Win possessions for you, he may not lose the possession, but count on him to make a play? heck no, never makes a play that gets the D off the field.

Curtis Weaver. If he was going to be special like what is hoped, (and he hasn't played an nfl regular season game yet), but if he were supposedly special, I'd think we'd have heard more buzz by now.

Joe Jackson, same as Gustin. Porter Gustin and Joe Jackson could be some main reasons the Browns signed Takk McKinley in the first place, because they have nobody who can make a play while fulfilling a specific role.

Takk McKinley being out of the equation altogether, will equal putting a greater emphasis on the outlooks of, Gustin, Weaver, Jaackson, and of course, Malik McDowell.

So, you've got 5 options there, reason for optimism. but
McDowell, injury
McKinley, probably gone
Weaver, no news of making plays,

Gustin and Jackson and any others, plenty of tape of them not winning battles, thereore, sudden reason for skeptimism.

There is a greater impact of this, Having that #3 threat, really helped to lesson the seasons long burden on both Myles Garrett, and Jadeveon Clowney, without it, their abilities to win battles is going to take a hit.
Also, part of that is, the amount of times the team can put Clowney and Myles Garrett in positions to clearly win battles, is going to take a hit because of the loss of that #3 threat.

If Weaver doesn't have a big preseason
If Takk McKinley doesn't come back
If Malik McDowell doesn't recover from injury

If they are planning to rely on the already seen game abilities of Gustin and Jackson or others,
the whole win percentage of the Browns as a team
the whole ability of the Browns Defense to be dynamic and a whirlwind of a juggernaut terrorizing offenses is going to disappear.

(sort of like, when Bud Dupree left the steelers, their whole defense changed. Remove Takk McKinley or any #3 from the Browns, the whole defenses outlook changes.)

Adrian Claybourne left, Olivivier Vernon left, and Sheldon Richardson,
We already know that Porter Gustin and Joe Jackson and others couldn't get playing time behind them, so really the only ?, that could surprise in a good way is Weaver.

Legend
Legend

The goal of pre-season has changed in recent years.

The old days of 2 a days and heavy hitting is gone.

Pre-season now is determining roster spots and depth.

Veteran first string players don't and should not play.

The last pre-season game maybe play the vets a series or quarter.

It is a long season and you need to come of camp healthy and ready to go.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Do they still charge season ticket holders full face value for the 1 or 2 home preseason games?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave
Do they still charge season ticket holders full face value for the 1 or 2 home preseason games?

They do. 1 this year since we have the extra home game this year.

Maybe this trend will force the owners to make some changes. The tickets simply aren't worth full price.

I could see preseason games dropped in total, but the cost of the regular season would go up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Dave

They do. 1 this year since we have the extra home game this year.

Maybe this trend will force the owners to make some changes. The tickets simply aren't worth full price.

I could see preseason games dropped in total, but the cost of the regular season would go up.

The preseason tickets should be discounted by at least 50%. Either that, or come up with some big time give-away for season tix holders.

Legend
Legend
Green has flashed according to reports which is nice. I agree about Wilson and Elliott needing to play well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Why someone would pay full boat to see a pre-season game is way out there.

Not me.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Not me.

If you want season tickets you don't have a choice. It's been like that for a while. One of the biggest ripoffs in professional sports. The PSL was the worst, but they did away with those.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Porter Gustin. Isn't there enough tape, that Porter Gustin is consistently a player who can't Win possessions for you, he may not lose the possession, but count on him to make a play? heck no, never makes a play that gets the D off the field.

*Wondering to myself* Why didn't Throw Long watch the Browns Steelers playoff game last year.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Legend
Legend
T
They did away with those?

Legend
Legend
YEP

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

Wow. I did not know that.

So, if you have seasons tickets you have to buy pre-season tickets?

That is a rip off. And you have to pay regular season price? Damn.

T
Legend
Legend
T
1. AJ Green
3. Greedy Willliams.

Cornerback is not like Dl, or TE, or Lb, cornerbacks rely on speed, athleticism, the others do to but.

There are cases where players get better because they mature from a 21-23 year old, to a 25+ year old, because of size and relative strength I guess, in the more physical hitting positions.
A corner, and their ability to cover man to man, isn't going to increase with age, a person doesn't get faster at 25 than they were at, even 18 probably, sprint wise.

So, the point is, if AJ green Cb. was on the practice squad, in Sept.-November of last year, I don't see how a year of practice is going to turn him into a better cornerback.
The Same with Greedy Williams, who only showed some abilities to cover back when he did play 2 years ago.

Other Browns got better over time, some linebackers come to mind, and Joel Bitonio got better, and some others after years of NFL experience, even some safeties, but
at cornerback it's pretty much impossible isn't it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes and yes. Been doing it since 99

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Legend
Legend
B

Not me.

If you want season tickets, then you do.

It is what it is.

For me, I am not going to allow a pre-season game or two dictate my ability to have 2 quality seats to any game the Browns play at home. I just factor that in to the real cost of the ticket.

It just boils down to if you want to attend games or not. I live 100 miles north of you. I intend to attend at least 7 home games this year. Maybe all 8. Plus, I have a seat in the stadium if we get a home playoff game. I probably couldn't do that if I was trying to buy the tickets 1 game at a time. At least at an affordable rate.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Yes and yes. Been doing it since 99

Indeed brother. I got mine for the 06 season. Before that I was going to at least 3-4 games a year anyway, so decided to buy a couple of PSLs off some guy and not have to worry about rounding up decent game tickets. We have shared in the pregame festivities on more than a few occasions...maybe at least a couple of times a season since maybe the 2000 season?? That might be over 40 times.

Cheers! Go Browns!

Oh...for the 1st time this year....IT'S GAMEDAY!!

I'll be sure to meet up with you guys in the Burke a few times this year. I don't drink anymore, so I'll drink a sarsaparilla or something. thumbsup

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I intend to attend at least 7 home games this year. Maybe all 8.
Peen, there are 9 home games this season, thanks to the '17th' game. So for this year, at least, you're paying for 9 regular season games and 1 preseason game.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

Do you get first dibs on playoff tickets?

Legend
Legend

Yes, home games only obviously.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And concert tickets

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I intend to attend at least 7 home games this year. Maybe all 8.
Peen, there are 9 home games this season, thanks to the '17th' game. So for this year, at least, you're paying for 9 regular season games and 1 preseason game.

Indeed...call that 8 if not all. Old habits are hard to break.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Jacksonville 13 5 Cleveland Browns who need a good preseason opener vs Jaguars

Link Copied to Clipboard