Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Online
Legend
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/david-patten-new-england-patriots-dead/

David Patten, a longtime NFL receiver who won three Super Bowls with the Patriots, has died at age 47. Patten's former agent, Sam Gordon, confirmed the news to ESPN's Mike Reiss. Gordon spoke to Patten's wife Friday morning. Patten died following a collision while riding a motorcycle Thursday night, the Richland County (South Carolina) coroner's office confirmed Friday morning.

"We are all very heartbroken," Gordon said. "He was a man of God. He had his own ministry. He loved New England very much."

A 12-year NFL veteran, Patten played for five NFL teams. He caught 324 passing for 4,715 yards and 24 touchdowns during the regular season. Patten's NFL career will largely be remembered for his time with the Patriots, who won three Super Bowls during his four years with the franchise.

"I am heartbroken by the news of David's passing," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a statement that was published on the team's website. "He was a devout Christian who followed his passion following his football career and founded his own ministry. David transitioned from an undersized and understated wide receiver to a powerful and passionate preacher. In New England, he will always be remembered as a three-time Super Bowl Champion. His touchdown reception in the AFC Championship game at Pittsburgh propelled the Patriots to Super Bowl XXXVI and I'll never forget his remarkable catch in the back of the end zone in that game. It was our only offensive touchdown in the Super Bowl and secured our first championship in franchise history. Our sincerest sympathies are with his wife, Galiena, his family and all who are mourning David's tragic and untimely death."

"It breaks my heart to hear of David's tragic passing at such a young age," added Patriots coach Bill Belichick. "I am grateful to have coached David. He is an essential person and player in Patriots history, without whom we would not have been Super Bowl champions. I especially appreciate David for his professional journey. As much as anyone, David epitomized the unheralded, self-made player who defied enormous odds to not only earn a job in the NFL but to become a key player on multiple championship teams. I can speak for anyone who had the pleasure to be around David that his work ethic, positive energy and character were elite. My deepest condolences are with his family and loved ones."

After playing collegiately at Western Carolina, Patten played one season for the Arena Football League's Albany Firebirds after not being selected in the 1996 draft. In 1997, Patten found his first NFL home with the Giants, where he would play his first three seasons. His first significant role on an NFL offense came in Cleveland, where he caught 38 passes for 546 yards during the 2000 season.

Patten's career took off upon joining the Patriots in 2001. In 16 games, Patten set then-career highs with 749 yards and four touchdowns on 51 receptions. He became the sixth player in league history (and just the second player since the merger) to catch, run and throw for touchdowns in New England's Week 6 win over the Colts. In the 2001 playoffs, Patten caught a crucial touchdown pass from Drew Bledsoe during the Patriots' 24-17 win over the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. He caught Tom Brady's first-career Super Bowl touchdown pass one week later during the Patriots' 20-17 win over the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI.

A starter on the Patriots' next two Super Bowl teams, Patten recorded a career-high 824 receiving yards in 2002, Brady's first full season as the Patriots' starting quarterback. After injuries limited him to just six games in 2003, Patten returned to catch a career-high seven touchdowns while helping the 2004 Patriots defeat the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX.

Patten then spent two seasons apiece in Washington and New Orleans; his best season during that span was in 2007, when he caught 54 passes for 792 yards and three touchdowns as a member of the Saints. He then had brief offseason stints with Cleveland and New England before announcing his retirement on July 31, 2010.

"You reflect now and say, 'Hey, your career wasn't that bad for a kid, undersized out of Columbia, South Carolina and a small I-AA school," Patten said after announcing his retirement. "Undrafted. Working in a coffee bean factory. Electrician work. Landscaper.' Who would have thought 12 years in the National Football League? Three championships. So many memories. Now I can sit back and reflect on it and pass this on to my kids."

In retirement, Patten returned to West Carolina to complete his bachelor's degree in social work. He also began a career in ministry.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Motorcycles. It’s not a matter of if, but when, you get in an accident.
RIP.

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I remember Palmer trying to use him as a multi-purpose guy (with some success) on offense in 2000. Davis didn't seem to have use for him - which may have been shortsighted.

Talented player.

RIP

T
Legend
Legend
T
This is sad.
I remember going to a Browns practice around 1997+ in Columbus, in the soccer stadium, and watching practice. It was there I started following every bit I could on the one player who stood out all day long, David Patton.
The Browns weren't good but even though this player wasn't mentioned with the starters, nobody could cover him all day, and he consistently beat double teams on kick outside coverages.
I'm certain, in some or one of the New England Patriots super bowl years, a year where a buckeye linebacker would have td pass catches, that no Patriot wide receiver caught a touchdown in the playoffs before the super bowl that year, except for David Patten who had at least one.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
RIP.

I put 160 miles on my bike yesterday.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. frown

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
RIP.

I put 160 miles on my bike yesterday.

Three wheels are safer than two. Four wheels are safer than three. wink

I rode a lot when I was a younger man. Now that I'm fully aware my bones break easier and it takes me longer to heal up, I've decided not to push it.

But I certainly understand the addiction and how much fun it is to ride!

I've never worried about my ability to ride safely. It's all of those driving cars that concern me. Many of them just don't pay any damned attention. Most of the time if you're looking out for them you can avoid an accident. But it just takes one time for one of them to pull right out in front of you to make the difference.

RIP David Patten.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Give me a choice of dying from cancer.. Good chance
Rupture of one of my two aortic aneurysms.....good chance
Death causes by one of the holes in my heart... good chance

or being killed at 60 MPH on my can am spyder... I will take the death wile riding 110 percent of the time. smile Each and every one of us is going to die at some point. I would rather die doing something I love than die while suffering for months while bed ridden.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Where David is now the only scars are on the hands that now hold him. RIP. I always enjoyed watching him play football.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
B
Legend
Legend
B
RIP David.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This sucks to see. RIP

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Former Browns/Pats WR David Patten Dies of Motorcycle Injuries

Link Copied to Clipboard