Next Thread
Print Thread
FATE Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

‘Cleveland is the Reason’ mural commissioned by Browns’ Myles Garrett unveiled
By Cameron Fields, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The heart of downtown received a colorful cultural addition Thursday, with the help of Browns defensive end Myles Garrett.

Garrett commissioned a #VoicesofCLE mural called “Cleveland is the Reason,” which was unveiled Thursday at the front of the Cleveland Visitors Center at East 4th Street and Euclid Avenue. Cleveland artist Glen Infante created the mural, molding a mosaic of vibrant images of some of Cleveland’s most impactful icons, including Jesse Owens, LeBron James, Machine Gun Kelly, Toni Morrison, Jim Brown and Tracy Chapman.

The idea of #VoicesofCLE was established last summer, when the country took on a renewed focus toward fighting social injustice, with a purpose of elevating artists’ voices and freedom of expression, particularly artists of color.

Garrett and Infante wanted the mural to pay homage to the city’s lively sports and rock ‘n’ roll culture. Downtown Cleveland Alliance, Destination Cleveland and Greater Cleveland Sports Commission were part of the collaboration as well.

“Cleveland is known for a lot of things, mostly sports and music, but we also wanted to make sure that people see that and know that we’re proud of people who have shaped our city,” Infante said.

Though Garrett is from Texas, he has taken on Cleveland as his second home. He wants the mural to inspire others. Garrett said he tells people they should have an open mind about The Land.

“There’s a lot of things...you don’t know about a lot of hidden gems. You just have to go out there with no kind of expectations, just be open to it all,” Garrett said he tells others.

The arts have regularly been a part of Garrett’s life. He enjoys writing poetry and loves literature. Morrison’s spot on the mural is particularly a special connection for Garrett, who has a passion for women in literature. Garrett said his grandmother helped spark his interest in writing.

“People like Maya Angelou and Toni Morrison they speak to me,” Garrett said. “It was nice to have her up there, and it was a beautiful touch.”

The mural is primed to represent Cleveland as newcomers and visitors make their treks to the city.

“We’re thrilled for the location of this mural,” said David Gilbert, president of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission. “We’re lucky that our office is in such a central place to downtown, such a vibrant place. And also just the fact that these two organizations in Destination Cleveland and Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, that both are key to selling our city to the world, we really can think of no better place for the mural.”

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2021/04/c...t-unveiled.html

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Love that he’s supporting public art. It’s an important part of communities.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a black person on it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
wut?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Not a black person on it.

Not sure what you mean by that,, But I'm pretty sure that Lebron James and Jim Brown are Black

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Love that he’s supporting public art. It’s an important part of communities.

It is.

An additional benefit is graffiti artists, and gang members to a degree are reluctant to paint over someone else's art.

I guess it is some sort of code that is frowned upon by others in those ranks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m on a plane sitting on the tarmac in Denver. Flying home from delivering a large scale piece of public art to a major city on the east coast. The community that we delivered it to is trying to rise out of its bad reputation and build a pride in their community. Our art is one of the bridges to the end goal. It’s been a really cool experience to meet and interact with the drivers behind this initiative. My hope is our art starts the city down a path to bigger better things.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Now That's cool thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is the kind of things he does that makes people love him.

Simple, silly, yet awesome.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
This is the kind of things he does that makes people love him.

Simple, silly, yet awesome.

My back snapped just watching that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I can do that. Well, just the shimmy part.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
That first picture is probably the look I would have on my face if I ever saw Myles in person and up close.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Didn't feel like making a new thread.

Myles Garrett partnering w/ Bron Bron.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We can see who id doing all the heavy lifting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Myles Garrett commissions murals in downtown Cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard